Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

ToxicFrog posted:

Also - and this is what people are complaining about - Tiger Schwert cannot loving shut up about how terrible Brutal Doom is, how much he hates it, and how anyone using it is playing Doom wrong, no matter how much we wish he would, to the point that you basically can't mention Brutal Doom in the thread without setting him off.

and yet five people dogpile on him when he suggests it to be a source of a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enjoy a Berry
Apr 21, 2012
Well, brutal doom is pretty horrible.

The problems that guy was asking about do get exponentially bad from base doom2 using that trash mod.

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

ToxicFrog posted:

Except that the issues he mentions are a problem even without Brutal Doom.

Also - and this is what people are complaining about - Tiger Schwert cannot loving shut up about how terrible Brutal Doom is, how much he hates it, and how anyone using it is playing Doom wrong, no matter how much we wish he would, to the point that you basically can't mention Brutal Doom in the thread without setting him off.

Maybe you shouldn't mention it then.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Let's all just agree that if you've never played Doom or Doom2 before, that you should go through it Vanilla style.

Now can we all agree that after playing Doom for 10+ years that we can use whatever stupid and pointless wads we like until our computers explode into shrapnel?

Nah, nevermind. I think all your WADs are poo poo.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
On the one hand, I'm getting increasingly sick of Brutal Doom and its following (mostly the mod itself, though). The visuals keep getting better and the gameplay and audio keep getting worse, plus even I start to feel a little put off by, you know, the ability to reenact the Robocop shotgun scene being a touted feature. I've been hooked on Wild Weasel's Nazis lately, and its solution to every enemy using a hitscan-style weapon is elegant and surprisingly well-balanced. It really makes me begin to loathe the chaingunners in Brutal Doom.

On the other, I'm sick enough of smug rebuttals to the concept of playing Brutal Doom that I want to spitefully play any acclaimed WAD I haven't played yet with 10x and Russian Overkill.

danbo
Dec 29, 2010

LvK posted:

I've been hooked on Wild Weasel's Nazis lately, and its solution to every enemy using a hitscan-style weapon is elegant and surprisingly well-balanced.

Haven't played Nazis, didn't seem all that interesting, but this sounds curious. What is this solution?

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
Instead of using hitscan, it uses the FastProjectile class and represents the bullets with their tracers. There's a slight delay between firing and hit for both player and enemy, and it manages to both look cool and play a lot better than "hitscan hell". Smooth to shoot with, still deadly, but also more forgiving than accidentally zigging when you shoulda zagged in a room full of 50 chaingunners.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Tiger Schwert posted:

Haven't played Nazis, didn't seem all that interesting, but this sounds curious. What is this solution?
There aren't any hitscans, everything in Nazis! uses a really fast projectile, so its a lot harder for enemies to snipe you from a distance.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
Right, I guess I could've been more clear. When I say "hitscan-type" I mean that you mostly see pistols, SMGs, and rifles until the midboss/boss-type enemies.

It also makes certain Wolfendoom campaigns REALLY loving fun. I personally replaced Hitler's sprites with the Mac Family Wolf3d Hans Grosse sprites because I somehow managed to get sick of fighting Hitler.

edit: But, uh, it doesn't save the Wolfendoom campaigns that are... pretty bad. Nothing saves Astrostein for me, I'm afraid.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

One of the core design elements of Brutal Doom is that it's meant to be harder than the vanilla game. Yes, this sometimes means playing on a lower difficulty setting, and it's going to be pretty much incompatible with levels that were designed to be brutally hard even with regular Doom balance - not every combination of mods and levels is going to work right, and that's fine.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

I want to like Weasel's mods more but they always seem to give tiny amounts of ammo and only really seemed designed to be played against the weaker enemy types like Zombies and imps. As soon as Barons start entering the picture followed by Revenants and Mancubuses you simply don't get enough ammunition to deal with them.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
Yeah, that's my biggest complaint with Nazis. A lot of levels end up giving you enough ammo but it's definitely a slow build-up to having the ammo for the really fun weapons. The game is certainly at its most fun/interesting when you're slaughtering low-level "popcorn" enemies, especially since the bosses are all Wolf3d style and constantly facing towards you all the time. Levels where you face 12 Barons at once are a lot less fun, but I was never a big fan of those levels anyways.

Goo Cube
Jan 27, 2012
Speaking of Wolf3D, did anyone else screw with mapping/skinning Wolf3D? I know that compared to Doom mapping it was limited and archaic as all hell, but I have pretty fond memories of putting squares in rectangles and MSPainting out-of-perspective weapons.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Not exactly Wolf3d, but I've put the Mac art assets into ST Wolfenstein. All the textures, weapons, and bosses. The normal enemies are missing way to many frames for me.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
Just out of sheer morbid curiosity, has anyone made a Doom 2 texture pack that turns the Icon of Sin into the goatman? :v:

Zero Star fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jun 23, 2012

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

IT'S DONE

Volcanic Pass

It's playtested for all difficulties, and should be bug-free. If you guys find something please let me know.

edit, now updated

an_mutt fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Jun 24, 2012

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Could anyone suggest to me a few good Quake 1 mods that would enhance the visuals or at least allow for a decent UI size on a 1080p monitor? I'm looking for engine changes specifically, not changes to gameplay if it can be helped.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
I've always used Darkplaces. Enhances particles & textures, lets you do widescreen and mess with the hud. I think there's a retexture pack but it looks good enough without.

http://icculus.org/twilight/darkplaces/download.html

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

disborat posted:

I've always used Darkplaces. Enhances particles & textures, lets you do widescreen and mess with the hud. I think there's a retexture pack but it looks good enough without.

http://icculus.org/twilight/darkplaces/download.html

Thanks, I'll check this out this evening.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
For a Loyal Opposition kind of view...

DarkPlaces is interesting to at least try out, but I always come back to a more cleaned-up-vanilla-Quake kind of look such as with QuakeSpasm. Map releases these days seem to often be targetted/tuned for QuakeSpasm (or its predecessor Fitzquake) too.

IMO this is a good place to start:

http://www.quaddicted.com/quake/recommended_engines
http://www.quaddicted.com/quake/configuration

And then give these maps a try:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2565483

(All courtesy of Spirit @ Quaddicted.)

Nails
Oct 29, 2004

MALIGNANTLY USELESS
I recently discovered that Skulltag has an OS X version, which I had been waiting on for a while, and to my dismay discovered the project is effectively dead(not counting Zandorum). Anyways, I tried to install both of them on my macbook, but for some reason they both refuse to run. I've tried opening wads with them, amongst other things, but nothing works. I managed to find an OS X port of ZDOOM which is great, because it can run pk3s and wads, but it has no GUI and is a pain in the rear end.

Is there some kind of preferential OS X front end that will let me set up what kinds of things I want to use(Specifically putting wads and pk3s together)? I tried the OS X version of PrBoom, but it doesn't seem to play nice with pk3s, and the novelty factor of Brutal Doom hasn't worn off yet. I always really wanted to try playing DOOM online, but that will only work with Skulltag as far as I know. I'm running OS X 10.5.8, so maybe that has something to do with it? I've looked everywhere online to no avail. Any help would be appreciated.

EDIT: I don't know if this will help, but the specific problem I get effects GZDOOM, Skulltag, and Zandorum. All of them say that they have quit unexpectedly as soon as I run them. They don't even boot up or anything.

Nails fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jun 24, 2012

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

an_mutt posted:

IT'S DONE

Volcanic Pass

It's playtested for all difficulties, and should be bug-free. If you guys find something please let me know.

This probably doesn't count as a bug, but playing vanilla-style (i.e. no jumping), it's possible to get yourself stuck behind these rocks in the lava pit around the yellow key:

And behind this tree near the red door:

And in the room full of boxes, the Hell Knight inside this one spawned stuck in place on top of the edge of box:

I was using gzdoom for testing purposes, if that makes a difference. And I don't know how much you playtested the different difficulty levels, but, while "I'm Too Young to Die" was definitely easy, attempting to play on "Hurt Me Plenty" or higher ended with me running completely out of ammo shortly after grabbing the yellow key and dying while trying to punch all the pink demons above the crate room to death. I probably could have made it further had I grabbed the berserker pack secret, but if it's necessary to complete the level, it probably shouldn't be a secret... I'd consider adding a little more ammo near the beginning, at least on "medium." Of course, maybe I just suck...

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

I would check to see if there are extra linedefs in those areas that you are getting stuck. I know if you are cutting up sectors at odd angles you'll get errors with overlapping linedefs.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

John Carstairs posted:

This probably doesn't count as a bug, but playing vanilla-style (i.e. no jumping), it's possible to get yourself stuck behind these rocks in the lava pit around the yellow key:

And behind this tree near the red door:

And in the room full of boxes, the Hell Knight inside this one spawned stuck in place on top of the edge of box:

I was using gzdoom for testing purposes, if that makes a difference. And I don't know how much you playtested the different difficulty levels, but, while "I'm Too Young to Die" was definitely easy, attempting to play on "Hurt Me Plenty" or higher ended with me running completely out of ammo shortly after grabbing the yellow key and dying while trying to punch all the pink demons above the crate room to death. I probably could have made it further had I grabbed the berserker pack secret, but if it's necessary to complete the level, it probably shouldn't be a secret... I'd consider adding a little more ammo near the beginning, at least on "medium." Of course, maybe I just suck...

I just started it and I absolutely have to agree with the "needs more ammo" comment from the gate. I snagged the super shotgun at the start then went through the door to the right and almost immediately ran out of ammo, forcing me to double back and try the other door which gave me a handful of shells and a reasonably tough trap to deal with considering the low ammo. I was playing on Hurt Me Plenty as well.

I'm going to go back right now and see how far I get before I comment further - I do like the look of it so far - good detailing for sure.

Edit: Yeah, I'm definitely going to say it needs a lot more ammo. I got as far as opening the yellow door before I bought it and I was out of bullets and nearly out of shells by that point. It seems like it'd be a good tough map but I kept skating on the edge of running out of ammo.

I'd suggest changing the super shotgun to the regular shotgun and give the super shotgun later on + add a box of shells to the start room at least. The super shotgun is pretty unforgiving if you're low on ammo and don't make shots count.

Encryptic fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jun 24, 2012

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

One release in and I'm already liking Zandronum more than I ever liked Skulltag simply because all of the included maps and wackytime skins are gone.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

One release in and I'm already liking Zandronum more than I ever liked Skulltag simply because all of the included maps and wackytime skins are gone.

That's a very bizarre statement. What harm was there in having more content and options? It's not like you were forced into playing the included maps and using the skins.

Not having Invasion/Deathmatch/Botmatch available right from the main menu is a pretty huge loss.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

It's not the maps and skins themselves, it's that the team having the sense to just throw all of that poo poo out and start fresh makes me hopeful for where they're going to take the project.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Thanks for the help gang, I swear I fell behind that tree in one playthrough and managed to walk back out but hey, I've moved it anyway.

quote:

I'd consider adding a little more ammo near the beginning, at least on "medium." Of course, maybe I just suck...
No, you don't - I've just been playing too much Alien Vendetta lately and I'm stuck at that level and style of play.

Anyway, here's an update! It addresses everything that's been brought up re: bugs and stuff, and I've tinkered around with ammo and weapons at the start so that you can go through both doors of your own accord. Originally (On Ultra Violence, at least) I had planned for only the door to the left to be a viable option, and for you to have to cause infighting to create an opening for the Super Shotgun (again, too much Alien Vendetta). I realise now that that's pretty dumb.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

Cool!

I've been playing it and the gameplay is much improved by the additional ammo - I never really got to the stage of running out although this level does take you to the woodshed pretty good on Hurt Me Plenty. I just died on the clever guys in crates trap, which brings me to one point - I noticed the Revenant hiding in the crate with the Blur artifact inside. He clips through the side of it a bit if you're paying attention. I thought it was a stuck monster at first and had tried to screencap it until I sprang the trap and realized what was up.

I like the use of hard-to-reach snipers in the canyons, by the way - gives you an added bit of incentive to move quickly outside and pay attention so you don't get popped in the head by a Revenant fireball.

Edit: I just finished playing it. All in all, it's a nice level. Good use of snipers here and there and good mix of weaker and stronger monsters throughout. With that in mind though, I was a bit disappointed the Cacodemons aren't able to fly out of that fenced-in area you put them in to swarm the player (making them easy to ignore for the most part) - and if you really want to be cheap, you can shoot at them from inside the building from the walkway that overlooks that broken wall. They do work well to be a pain in the rear end when trying to deal with the red key fight, though since they're off at a distance but can still provide some harassing fire.

I got a kick out of the intentionally obvious rocket launcher trap - it's such a big "I double-dare you, motherfucker. Go ahead and take it". I skipped it at first then came back for it once I realized it would make dealing with some of the snipers easier.

I'm not great at finding secrets so I didn't get all of them - the backpack near the start is a good one, especially if you haven't taken down the Revenant yet so you have the fun of potentially getting shot in the back for it.

I would almost have to say it might be more useful to put the Blur artifact closer to the Spider Demon guarding the blue key if possible since that's probably when you'd really need it if you want to grab the ammo around him. I managed to do it without taking damage, but your mileage may vary.

Encryptic fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jun 24, 2012

danbo
Dec 29, 2010

Zero Star posted:

Just out of sheer morbid curiosity, has anyone made a Doom 2 texture pack that turns the Icon of Sin into the goatman? :v:

No, but if you use Freedoom you can get something nearly as good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9gi_-krSGU

Vargatron posted:

Could anyone suggest to me a few good Quake 1 mods that would enhance the visuals or at least allow for a decent UI size on a 1080p monitor? I'm looking for engine changes specifically, not changes to gameplay if it can be helped.

Darkplaces is probably best. If you want to use the dynamic lighting options though, consider looking for a rtlights file (google Romi rtlights). I'd steer clear of retexture packs though.

You can also find a few neat HUD mods. Here's an (unfinished) one I did for something I was working on. Ignore the colourful text on the right.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

an_mutt posted:

I've tinkered around with ammo and weapons at the start so that you can go through both doors of your own accord. Originally (On Ultra Violence, at least) I had planned for only the door to the left to be a viable option, and for you to have to cause infighting to create an opening for the Super Shotgun (again, too much Alien Vendetta). I realise now that that's pretty dumb.
Oh, I figured that it just required pre-knowledge of the berserk pack secret and managed to cut through the mob once I found it. Going against the grain I have to say that ammo was tight but I never found it to be a too serious of a problem as long as you picked up the backpack and berserk at the start.

On an unrelated note, is this wad only compatible with zdoom? I tried loading up both versions with prboom+ and got an error message about there being no ML_VERTEXES lump.

koren fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jun 24, 2012

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
Cool Doom wad I found:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=td3DvdrlCm0
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=12724

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

an_mutt posted:

Thanks for the help gang, I swear I fell behind that tree in one playthrough and managed to walk back out but hey, I've moved it anyway.

No, you don't - I've just been playing too much Alien Vendetta lately and I'm stuck at that level and style of play.

Anyway, here's an update! It addresses everything that's been brought up re: bugs and stuff, and I've tinkered around with ammo and weapons at the start so that you can go through both doors of your own accord. Originally (On Ultra Violence, at least) I had planned for only the door to the left to be a viable option, and for you to have to cause infighting to create an opening for the Super Shotgun (again, too much Alien Vendetta). I realise now that that's pretty dumb.

I tried it with with the Nazis mod and I got totally wrecked on ITYTD :v:

Honestly, that probably says more about my lack of skill than the toughness of your map, but I found it very fitting as a secret nazi volcano base, for what it's worth.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
That HUD is terrible - what was the artist's intention to make the plus sign half the size of the screen? All HUDS are usually bad but that one in particular is pointless. We know it is health just put 100 there and be done with it.

I haven't played Quake in so long but all this talk of dark places is making me want to go find my id anthology and get back to playing it. drat I miss the old days of FPS haven't played a good one since Metro it seems.
'
What is it with this brutal doom it looks pretty cool? I don't get all the complaints. I just watch a few youtube videos, and haven't played it.

danbo
Dec 29, 2010

Meowbot posted:

That HUD is terrible - what was the artist's intention to make the plus sign half the size of the screen?

The plus sign is a TF2-style health meter, flashing red when the player is low on health.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Ok just did another run in UV, the chaingun makes it easy to get started and work through the left hand trap without knowing about the berserker pack secret. There's plenty of ammo boxes at the start too. In fact, there's so much that resource management doesn't really factor into things in the first half of the map. The only point where I ran out of shells was in the lava area prior to the red key switch but since there's plenty of ammo by the switch I was able to quickly push through the spectres to hoover it up. I liked the megasphere trap but the rocket launcher one was a bit too easy. Perhaps adding a few more revenants, hell knights or timed waves would make it more challenging.

Overall it's quite an enjoyable and pretty map. The layout is logical and I didn't notice any obvious bugs. Took about 20 mins to complete a UV-max run.

danbo
Dec 29, 2010

an_mutt posted:

This is nice. Quite a pretty map, reminds me of the latter parts of Deus Vult.

That one SSG room at the start, I was expecting the back to close behind me once the sides open up or for there to be a few enemies blocking me. All I had was a chaingun, but...

I liked the megasphere trap. A wave of revenants always makes me sit up and take notice.

You know exactly where that archvile's going to come from at the end of the blue key room. Was that intentional?

I liked the design of the lava corridors. If you take too long and your suit runs out, you can still make progress without taking damage, you just have your options restricted a bit. I guess the 3 suits are there for co-op reasons?

I didn't fire one shot at the cyberdemon at the end, skipped right past him and pounded the exit switch. Made me smile but probably not what you had in mind.

The general flow of the map is nice, you go back and forth a bit between the two forks of the map. Just enough backtracking to pace things nicely.

I thought the teleport pad in the outdoors was a bit silly, didn't know if I was supposed to hang around and gun everything down or just run ahead.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Meowbot posted:

What is it with this brutal doom it looks pretty cool? I don't get all the complaints. I just watch a few youtube videos, and haven't played it.

It's really fun but some of the graphical/audio changes aren't great and it really, really throws map balance out of whack in a severe way. Definitely worth a shot, though.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

I think a good fix for a lot of the crate traps and clipping problems would be to spawn the enemies in on a separate trigger. You could hear that vile laughing from the moment you initially enter the room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Encryptic posted:

I was a bit disappointed the Cacodemons aren't able to fly out of that fenced-in area you put them in to swarm the player
I don't really know how to have them fly out without making the lines entirely passable for monsters, and I assume turning the fence itself into a sector will stop the sides being see-through. Saying that though, I can't think of anything else that can pass through them if remove the block monster parameter, so if I make another update I'll look into that more closely. The idea behind that area is that it's a side-area that can be found through finding a secret (did you find it? I assume not). During one playthrough I think one did fly out, but at the other side of the area which I cannot explain at all.

quote:

I would almost have to say it might be more useful to put the Blur artifact closer to the Spider Demon guarding the blue key if possible since that's probably when you'd really need it if you want to grab the ammo around him. I managed to do it without taking damage, but your mileage may vary.
Yeah, the blur sphere is intended for the Spider Mastermind yet I wanted the player to have to leave their cover to grab that (and the ammo that's scattered around the key). Having it closer would make it too obvious and that's a fight where I want to force the player out of their safety zone if they want any further advantages than what they already have.

Korendian Leader posted:

Overall it's quite an enjoyable and pretty map. The layout is logical and I didn't notice any obvious bugs. Took about 20 mins to complete a UV-max run.
Yeah my main worry about the map was its size - my fastest time so far is two seconds short of seventeen minutes on UVMax, though I'm sure there's a faster path I can take. I'm glad to hear that it's not too much of a slog, considering its size.

Tiger Schwert posted:

You know exactly where that archvile's going to come from at the end of the blue key room. Was that intentional?
Yeah, I like the idea of having the player know that there's an enemy nearby who can mess you up yet you have no idea when it's going to pop out. It's a change from your typical ambushes/monster closets I think (and it ties into the Rocket Launcher trap in that you know something's gonna happen yet you're not quite sure what it will be until it happens).

quote:

I guess the 3 suits are there for co-op reasons?
More for aesthetic reasons than anything; the idea is that the people who worked within the base had suits stored within the volcano they were researching.

quote:

I thought the teleport pad in the outdoors was a bit silly, didn't know if I was supposed to hang around and gun everything down or just run ahead.
It's for the UVMax guys I guess. :v: