Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

SpazmasterX posted:

PC version is much, much better than PS2 if you can manage it. 360 in a pinch. The graphical level on the PC and 360 are about the same (I think the PC can run at much higher resolutions). But the PC version has Windower and all its awesome plugins.

Well, my only PC right now is a netbook. To be honest, it can't run a GBA emulator without frameskip unless I close my browser first. it might run, but my framerate is one of the big reasons I was thinking for version differences. I don't have a 360, but I do happen to have the PS2's HDD adapter on hand. As far as watching other stuff while playing goes, well, the laptop works for that. :v:

EDIT: Oh. Well then.

Miracon fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jun 25, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
I should probably note that they aren't making a PS2 version of the new expansion, so you'll be missing out on that too.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
FFXI runs on a netbook. They used to have a little benchmark application you could download to check things out.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Happy Blue Cow posted:

So I finally got some free time to spend on the Fiesta, and I've ended up with...

:negative:

Does anyone want to give some advice as to how to assign sub commands for this team?

Is DblGrip better than Dual-Wield on these physical attackers? Should I go for DblGrip Axe Berserkers or Dual-Wield Axe Berserkers? Should I be giving EquipAxe/Sword to my Ninja? or EquipSword to my Berserkers instead of using Axes/Hammers? Or something else all together?

I'm really unsure on these types of fine details on which weapon is more ideal. I've never really had to deal with so many physical attackers all at once.

Double Grip is better for your Berserkers, unless you've got something with an on hit effect you want to double up on. Reason being, you get about the same damage (One of them is 2((A-D)*M) and the other is (A-D)*2M) but you have to spend less money, and the best axes/hammers are functionally unique. Equip Sword is fantastic later on when you've got swords worth a drat, but there a bunch of enemies for most of the game where the Doom Axe's instant kill is awesome or the defense quartering can get past high defense gimmicks (Archeoavis and Melusine come to mind as especially nice times for an axe). Axes themselves are solid offensive options: their attack is functionally higher than the screen shows thanks to the defense quartering property, and their accuracy isn't anywhere near as bad as hyperbole makes it out to be (Aside from the starting axe, most have 80 or 90% accuracy which isn't anywhere close to "miss half the time", and anywhere where you're really worried about hitting you can use Dual Wield or Equip Swords).

Equip Axe or Equip Sword on your Ninja is an absolutely fantastic option, though, because until world 3 knives suck balls. Equip Axes is easier to reach, though-it's 210 less AP. Don't forget though, that Berserkers can use Shields and that's a perfectly fine thing to do, as this is probably the FF where shields are the best.

Shinryu update: got distracted by Xenoblade Chronicles, going to try more momentarily. Also, I liked that Carbuncle idea until W.T. Fits decided to dash my hopes.

EDIT: Holy gently caress that was a bout of good luck. No Big Guards, a bunch of Level 3 Flares, I opened with a pair of Aegis Shield dodges on Tidal Wave, he physicaled Cara and she parried it, he Snowstormed after some hurts...and then he Maelstroms followed by Atomic Ray, killing Bartz and Cara and leaving Lenna and Faris in single digits.

Not that it mattered because Faris managed to hit on a 64% chance and roll pretty much max Attack on a god knows what chance and finish him off. Ragnarok and Dragon Crest get!

I think I'm gonna roll up a new team and see how that goes, this was pretty drat fun, and at least next time I'm statistically likely to get a team that's a bit less difficult for the hard bosses.

Rosalie_A fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jun 25, 2012

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Trasson posted:

Not that it mattered because Faris managed to hit on a 64% chance and roll pretty much max Attack on a god knows what chance and finish him off. Ragnarok and Dragon Crest get!

:aaaaa:

Un-loving-believable. And to think I was (mildly) whining because I got a Geomancer of all loving things.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

The White Dragon posted:

Definitely follow a walkthrough and stick to their suggested levels. It was a relatively fun game, but it would've been so much better had they canned that scaling poo poo (or had you naturally come by the means to raise your upgrade cap, and earlier). Oh, and put a smithy in every village instead of just one town that you rarely have access to until the latter half of the game.

I agree with scaling being silly, but I still had a lot of fun with the game and never looked at a walkthrough. Before I played the game I read about there being scaling in the game, so much like I would do in a game like Dark Souls for PVP I made sure to prioritise gear and upgrades over level. I never found the game to be unrealistically difficult and actually had a lot of fun min-maxing the game and making sure I had the right gear to tackle the right situations. If you don't know that there is scaling in the game there could be a problem, but knowing this going in I never found the difficulty to be purely based on poorly balanced numbers.

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I have moooore respect for
Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

Thanks everyone for the advice on DblGrip vs. Dual Wield and others, it was very enlightening, and it helped me tonight in accomplishing this...!

(Knight/Berserker/Ninja/Berserker)

God drat that was tough...

The team was in the range of Level 42-44, and my strategy involved putting my Knight and Ninja in permanent Defensive Item-popping mode. Tossing Phoenix Downs, Elixirs, and Hi-Potions pretty much non-stop while praying that my two Berserkers hit the proper targets instead of swinging at nothing. I ended up giving one Berserker DblGrip with Rune Axe, and the other Dual-Wield with Thor's Hammer and Earth Hammer. I also wound up giving my Ninja Equip Shields of all things, because Blocking is way too clutch in this game. Not the most graceful of strategies.. but hey, it worked!

All in all, a very enjoyable challenge compared to last year. I'm glad I managed to complete it.

Happy Blue Cow fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jun 25, 2012

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Trasson posted:

Shinryu update: got distracted by Xenoblade Chronicles, going to try more momentarily. Also, I liked that Carbuncle idea until W.T. Fits decided to dash my hopes.

On the one hand, I feel kind of bad about that. :(

Trasson posted:

EDIT: Holy gently caress that was a bout of good luck. No Big Guards, a bunch of Level 3 Flares, I opened with a pair of Aegis Shield dodges on Tidal Wave, he physicaled Cara and she parried it, he Snowstormed after some hurts...and then he Maelstroms followed by Atomic Ray, killing Bartz and Cara and leaving Lenna and Faris in single digits.

But on the other hand, it all worked out in the end. :)

Congratulations on both beating the game and slaying Shinryu with a party of three Berserkers and a Knight. You're an inspiration to us all. :golfclap:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

bleep posted:

I agree with scaling being silly, but I still had a lot of fun with the game and never looked at a walkthrough. Before I played the game I read about there being scaling in the game, so much like I would do in a game like Dark Souls for PVP I made sure to prioritise gear and upgrades over level. I never found the game to be unrealistically difficult and actually had a lot of fun min-maxing the game and making sure I had the right gear to tackle the right situations. If you don't know that there is scaling in the game there could be a problem, but knowing this going in I never found the difficulty to be purely based on poorly balanced numbers.

See, I never read anything ever except y'know player reactions, walkthroughs kinda ruin playing games for me personally. I went into Heroes of Light all "oh yeah no prob I'll just grind some gems" and after an hour of unlucky drops, suddenly you're ten levels higher and you have no idea why you're getting you rear end rolled so hard.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

The White Dragon posted:

See, I never read anything ever except y'know player reactions, walkthroughs kinda ruin playing games for me personally. I went into Heroes of Light all "oh yeah no prob I'll just grind some gems" and after an hour of unlucky drops, suddenly you're ten levels higher and you have no idea why you're getting you rear end rolled so hard.

Games should be more transparent with this kind of thing, it's definitely the biggest flaw in 4 Heroes of Light. If games are going to put in mechanics like level scaling they need to let the player know or give them easy ways to discover it... Or just get rid of EXP and make party building based purely on gear and job progression as it would give them a similar result. It's too bad that you had a bad experience with the game, I really did enjoy playing it.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I decided to re-register on normal mode, hoping for something sort of easy and jobfairing to get something different than my past runs. Not that I needed to, because I rolled Black Mage/Summoner/Ninja/Chemist. Talk about loving overpowered, and none of them are jobs I've had before.

And I STILL ground out the money to buy 4 Fire Rings in the first world while doing other stuff today... oh god.

Well, maybe I'll use this team to take down Shinryu and Omega for fun.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

You'll be able to take both of them out with ease. You have Wonder Wand and !Summon access, meaning you can Berserk Shinryu and keep up a wall of Golem with double Hasted Summoners (your Summoner and Black Mage), and Omega can be soloed by a Chemist.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Kyrosiris posted:

You'll be able to take both of them out with ease. You have Wonder Wand and !Summon access, meaning you can Berserk Shinryu and keep up a wall of Golem with double Hasted Summoners (your Summoner and Black Mage), and Omega can be soloed by a Chemist.
What

How does that work?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

What

How does that work?

Through the power of chemistry and overwhelming (temporary) levels.

Dragon's Kiss nullifies Encircle, Rocket Punch, and Blaster, the Absorb Fire mix nullifies Atomic Ray and Flamethrower, and Delta Attack is reflectable. Everything Omega has outside of Surge Beam and Delta Attack can be mitigated or nullified with a mix, and Delta Attack can be nullified with a Reflect Ring.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Aaand all Wind Crystal #reghard is clear.

I actually got my rear end handed to me by Exdeath at about level 36, so I went back out of the Cleft and ground a little under the pretense of buying Arise and Dispel (which I sheepishly forgot despite 3/4 of my characters having White Magic set).

Finished observations:
1) Those five levels sure did seem to make a big difference in terms of susceptibility to White Hole and Grand Cross. On my kill (my first attempt at 41) that stuff basically never landed.
2) Holy ended up being the backbone of my offense; it does a ton of single-target damage for how cheap it is, especially with the Sage's Staff. Cara was dinging XD for 5k a round, which is more than Faris or Lenna could do. I expected White Mage to pay off in terms of protection and utility, but I didn't expect to lean on it for damage.

Now to decide if I wanna do normal or hard for my next one. I'm thinking hard, because despite being "hardmode" this party felt a little too rudimentary, well-rounded, and effective.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Holy is probably the best spell period against single targets. And most bosses by the time you get it are single targets.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Just completed Clash on the Big Bridge. I ended up getting Dragoon for my final class.

Haha, didn't manage to play all weekend since I was busy. Time to catch up with the rest of you folks.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
I wanted to do the fiesta again this year but after getting Chemist last year and not know jack poo poo on how to use it, I'd rather just play like I normally do.

Master all the jobs (save for Chemist and Berserker) before going to the second world.

EDIT: VVV I can't be bothered to buy ingredients and mix them together. I just want to mash my way out of battle. I mean, it's a good class, and it's amazing what you can do with it, but I can finish battles without it. Except for Omega and Shinyru. Still need to beat them. :negative: VVV

GenderSelectScreen fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Jun 25, 2012

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

JGBeagle posted:

I wanted to do the fiesta again this year but after getting Chemist last year and not know jack poo poo on how to use it, I'd rather just play like I normally do.

Master all the jobs (save for Chemist and Berserker) before going to the second world.

Given how Chemist is the strongest job is the game, you should master it instead. :D

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

bleep posted:

Games should be more transparent with this kind of thing, it's definitely the biggest flaw in 4 Heroes of Light. If games are going to put in mechanics like level scaling they need to let the player know or give them easy ways to discover it... Or just get rid of EXP and make party building based purely on gear and job progression as it would give them a similar result. It's too bad that you had a bad experience with the game, I really did enjoy playing it.

See, that's the weirdest thing about Heroes of Light: I hated the mechanical design decisions, but I loved pretty much everything else about it. The music, the art direction, even the characters themselves (as far as they were developed) were really fun and enjoyable. Just a drat shame about the level scaling and when folks ask I gotta point that out because like you say, so long as they're aware of it going into the game, they'll have that much more of an enjoyable experience.

I mean, you have a part where the hero turns into a dog and he's like "oh man I'm a dog this is the best"

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I'm right at the final boss in my Fiesta run, but I've got a bit of a problem.

Basically, my Bard dies to every spell Neoexdeath casts. My other party members can survive if they're at reasonably high HP, though. As an example, my bard has 1073 HP, and Flare/Holy do something in the 1200 range to her with Shell on.

Does anyone who completed the game with a Bard have any tips for this? Outside of grinding levels for increased HP, I don't see how I can keep her up, but if I grind too much the challenge is pretty much gone.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Moldy Taxes posted:

I'm right at the final boss in my Fiesta run, but I've got a bit of a problem.

Basically, my Bard dies to every spell Neoexdeath casts. My other party members can survive if they're at reasonably high HP, though. As an example, my bard has 1073 HP, and Flare/Holy do something in the 1200 range to her with Shell on.

Does anyone who completed the game with a Bard have any tips for this? Outside of grinding levels for increased HP, I don't see how I can keep her up, but if I grind too much the challenge is pretty much gone.

Bards take hits worse than every other class in the game. Flare and Holy can both be reflected though can't they? I'd imagine you could use Reflect rings for those at least. Also fun trivia that is probably a pain to set up:

If a bard becomes zombified while singing, they'll actually keep singing. Slap Hero's Rime on there and just let her buff your party to 9999 damage.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Bards take hits worse than every other class in the game. Flare and Holy can both be reflected though can't they? I'd imagine you could use Reflect rings for those at least. Also fun trivia that is probably a pain to set up:

If a bard becomes zombified while singing, they'll actually keep singing. Slap Hero's Rime on there and just let her buff your party to 9999 damage.

Yeah, the plan currently is to buff during Exdeath, then once he switched to Neo I start up Rime and go to town.

Reflect would work out fine, but I would like to keep her buffed with at least Blink so she won't be interrupted out of Rime. Would be nice if Bard could equip the Mirage Vest, at least...

I'll give that Reflect Ring strategy a shot, though. I think she can take one or two physical attacks without Protect on, and if not then at least I know I can just Raise her instead of Arise.

Now the only major issue I can think of is a bad Grand Cross on the party. I guess I'll just time my Dragoon's Jumps for those.

J. Alfred Prufrock
Sep 9, 2008
Dancer is the perfect finish to my "look as silly as possible" fiesta. Butz is gettin' his dance on, yo.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Moldy Taxes posted:

Yeah, the plan currently is to buff during Exdeath, then once he switched to Neo I start up Rime and go to town.

Reflect would work out fine, but I would like to keep her buffed with at least Blink so she won't be interrupted out of Rime. Would be nice if Bard could equip the Mirage Vest, at least...

I'll give that Reflect Ring strategy a shot, though. I think she can take one or two physical attacks without Protect on, and if not then at least I know I can just Raise her instead of Arise.

Now the only major issue I can think of is a bad Grand Cross on the party. I guess I'll just time my Dragoon's Jumps for those.

Consider doing a crapton of Swift Song buffing during Exdeath. (Also, turn the battle speed all the way down.) The more your agility rises, the closer to full your ATB bar will start after you take an action. Hermes Sandals are lovely in that regard too, not to mention they'll block a few potential Grand Cross effects.

The longer you can draw out the first phase of the fight when he's at high HP and relatively harmless, the better. Then switch to Hero's Rime buffing (if you have the patience, still do this during high-HP-Exdeath) once your turns are coming sufficiently super-fast for your taste.

After that, it doesn't really matter if the bard gets killed (though FYI, they'll do major damage to one of the targets - middle top, I believe - using Apollo's Harp), though a super speedy white mage should have no troubles getting them back up and buffed in between Neo Exdeath's already somewhat sluggish turns.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Done and done.

Vil posted:

Consider doing a crapton of Swift Song buffing during Exdeath. (Also, turn the battle speed all the way down.) The more your agility rises, the closer to full your ATB bar will start after you take an action. Hermes Sandals are lovely in that regard too, not to mention they'll block a few potential Grand Cross effects.

The longer you can draw out the first phase of the fight when he's at high HP and relatively harmless, the better. Then switch to Hero's Rime buffing (if you have the patience, still do this during high-HP-Exdeath) once your turns are coming sufficiently super-fast for your taste.

After that, it doesn't really matter if the bard gets killed (though FYI, they'll do major damage to one of the targets - middle top, I believe - using Apollo's Harp), though a super speedy white mage should have no troubles getting them back up and buffed in between Neo Exdeath's already somewhat sluggish turns.

The issue with song buffing during Exdeath is that I was assigned a Berserker way back when I got the Water crystal. Given the choice between extra time buffing or getting Exdeath out of the way before he started spamming Meteor, I chose the latter. Maybe it made Neo Exdeath harder than necessary, but I was at least able to get a good ways into Hero's Rime before the switch.

During Neo Exdeath, it was mad dash to take out the back piece in as few Grand Crosses as possible. I got particularly lucky in that the worst status ailment any of my team members got was Slow, although it being on my White Mage made things a bit tough before I was able to finish off that piece.

Afterwards, it was mostly just mopping up and reapplying ProShell whenever someone got Dispelled. I wasn't able to buff my party's level to max, but after my Bard died I was pulling off 4k Jumps and 7k Holy casts. Combined with my Berserker using the Chicken Knife, it made quick work of the remaining three parts.

Final Stats:
code:
Bartz - Lv. 38 Berserker

Chicken Knife
Aegis Shield
Crystal Helm
Crystal Armor
Hermes Sandals

STR 49
AGI 21
STA 52
MAG 51
ATK 113
DEF 38
EVA 33%
MAD 7
EQW 17
Berserker, the job I thought would be the biggest liability in this run, ended up redeeming itself in a variety of ways. It's ability to pierce through high Defense was helpful against monsters normally taken out with attack magic, and the Death Sickle weapon carried me a good ways through World 1 and 2. Even it's random targeting nature turned out to not be as awful as I thought it would, as there were only one or two bosses where I felt this was an issue. Of special note is the ability Equip Axes, which I used against the Crystals in World 2 on my Dragoon to use two Death Sickles, upping my chances of getting rid of them with Death.

code:
Lenna - Lv. 36 Dragoon

Holy Lance
Crystal Shield
Crystal Helm
Crystal Armor
Hermes Sandals

STR 46
AGI 31
STA 40
MAG 53
ATK 109
DEF 41
EVA 45%
MAD 7
EQW 18
As a damage-dealing job, Dragoon was a bit underwhelming. It did its job, certainly, but standing next to my Berserker it was clear that the job was never going to catch up in terms of damage. Towards the end, my assigned Dragoon would typically open boss battles by assisting my Bard and White Mage buff the party, which was mighty helpful. !Jump was almost essential in my final strategy for Neo Exdeath, as being able to avoid Grand Cross with proper timing of the ability made recovering from the attack much easier. !Lance didn't really see much use, only being equipped on Krile when I had her as my White Mage (due to her not knowing !Song yet). Equip Lances is useless.

code:
Krile - Lv. 38 Bard

Apollo's Harp

Gold Hairpin
Black Robe
Elven Mantle

STR 17
AGI 37
STA 15
MAG 58
ATK 45
DEF 14
EVA 0%
MAD 19
EQW 5
Bard was a weird one. !Song was undoubtedly a major asset to my party, but having to babysit my team's Bard to make it work in endgame almost made it not worth the effort. An embarrassing stat spread and subpar HP made managing the job a hassle, but when the enemy's AI worked in it's favor the results were phenomenal. !Hide didn't see any use in my run, however I feel that if I had been assigned a different job from the Earth crystal, it would have seen more use as an AoE avoidance move like Jump. Equip Harps is useless.

code:
Faris - Lv. 38 White Mage

Sage's Staff

Gold Hairpin
Black Robe
Elven Mantle

STR 20
AGI 29
STA 26
MAG 57
ATK 53
DEF 14
EVA 0%
MAD 19
EQW 5
The job that, I think, made this whole stupid setup work. Starting the game with this job was a chore, and boss fights before the Water Crystal were big, safe snorefests. !White was an amazing asset to have through the entire game, obviously. There's nothing bad I can really say about this job, save for having to slog through a few bosses with four of them.

Other tidbits:
*Not being able to break all these sexy rods I picked up throughout the game was disappointing. Not being able to use the Wonder Rod was infuriating.
*Byblos was probably the worst boss I faced in the whole game. Having to deal with his counters, especially his Drain counter towards the end, while my Berserkers just wailed on him was frustrating.
*I initially picked up two Tablets, but went for a the third in Istory Falls in order to obtain some Reflect Rings that I never used. I still skipped the last tablet, though.
*Fork Tower wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be. It took me a couple of tries to set up the battle (Protect, Blink, Berserk on Omniscient and my Dragoon, make sure to refresh Blink before he obliterated anyone with an offensively high Attack stat), but it worked out fine.
*Krile was the only one who mastered all four jobs.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Finally got off my lazy rear end and finished World 2. Party: Monk/Berserker/Bard/Red Mage

I fought Carbuncle for the hell of it. It was pretty easy, since I healed while Reflect was up and wailed fists/Fira at it when its defenses were down. Gilgamesh Discorded my Berserker and Time Slipped my Red Mage, but otherwise it was easy to keep up with him thanks to the wonderful Doublecast.

Exdeath was surprisingly easy thanks to having Doublecast. Between my DCing Bard and Red Mage, I was able to constantly heal Exdeath's damage and relayer Protect between Dispel counters. Kinda wish I put Equip Axe on my Monk like I had earlier rather than HP +30%, but it didn't really matter.

I'm so glad to have magic on this run, even if it's Red Mage. Doublecast Cura is still handy for World 2, and Protect is always fantastic, though not having Shell sucks. Monk's starting to fade in usefulness, but then that's what Equip Axe is for.

Time to put some progress into World 3. I'll probably do everything possible just because I can. At least Omniscient won't be as much a nightmare as the no-magic parties.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Moldy Taxes posted:

The issue with song buffing during Exdeath is that I was assigned a Berserker way back when I got the Water crystal. Given the choice between extra time buffing or getting Exdeath out of the way before he started spamming Meteor, I chose the latter. Maybe it made Neo Exdeath harder than necessary, but I was at least able to get a good ways into Hero's Rime before the switch.

Congratulations on your win!

My song buffing advice was kinda operating under the assumption of either a. let the berserker stay dead or petrified for a bit, or b. throw some healing at Exdeath to keep him at his relatively harmless high-HP attack pattern and offset the berserker's damage output.

TiltedAtWindmills
Sep 4, 2009

Finally done.

Blue Magic basically got me through the game. I had more trouble than I should have since I didn't realize that you could get White Wind/Mighty Guard by confusing enemies, so I didn't get those for quite a bit after they were first available. Aqua Breath, the Aero Line, Level 5 Death, Missile (made some random enemies with way two much health and wind absorption manageable), and Vampire are all particularly useful. Vampire was my goto difficult boss strategy in World 1.

Time Magic is quite useful, although I mostly just cast Hasteaga and occasionally Slowga. The final battle basically consisted of my time mage casting Quick/MeteorX2.

My Chemist would have been more useful had I known what to do with her. Most battles are over by the time you can buff yourself with !Drink or !Mix. I ended up using !Mix mainly for the full revive mix and the full mp restore. She also ended up wearing a Dancing Dagger and a Lamia Tiara so she could take out magic resistant enemies.

My Geomancer was loving useless though. Made the lava floor areas and the areas with pitfalls less annoying, but !Gaia ia too random, and even the good spells it casts aren't great. The various wind element spells it casts (in pretty much every terrain) do well when boosted by an Air Knife and when cast on something that doesn't absorb them, but they are outclassed by the much more reliable Aeroga. I only list Wind spells because wind slash is like 90% of what I saw when using !Gaia. If you are lucky, Ignus Faatus will confuse an enemy in a helpful situation but the game developers put multiple wind spells in pretty much every terrain, so I mostly just equipped !Blue or !Mix on my Geomancer.

edit: Fixed it.

TiltedAtWindmills fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jun 25, 2012

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Jumped back on my four job fiesta after a short hiatus. Archaeoavis was really easy once I realized I could just have one character use animal every turn, nightingale activated enough that it healed faster than it could damage me.

My four jobs are now monk/mystic knight/ranger/samurai. I was kind of hoping for chemist, but gil toss is a good skill for occasionally cheesing some boss fights. And I just got break sword.

Here's my current question: what's more damaging for my mystic knight and samurai, brawl or x-attack?

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

If you don't want to take the time to buff, Chemists can still do stuff like using Succubus Kiss (I think that's what it's called) and with dark matter they can use a number of damaging attacks, although Succubus Kiss seemed to always do more damage for me and ended up being a huge help on some high-defense bosses I wasn't really prepared for.

Is the GBA version's extra-dungeon worth bothering with? I mean, is it fun, or is it the typical slog through super-powered enemies to fight stat-boosted recolors of the game's original superbosses?

Skam
Jan 6, 2008
I just started this after only playing through ffv once before and so far i have thief/mystic knight/hunter

all good skiils but im concerned about my lack of healing

what are my best options? spamming potions is already far to slow

also is there a list of must have stealables anywhere?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Zonko_T.M. posted:

If you don't want to take the time to buff, Chemists can still do stuff like using Succubus Kiss (I think that's what it's called) and with dark matter they can use a number of damaging attacks, although Succubus Kiss seemed to always do more damage for me and ended up being a huge help on some high-defense bosses I wasn't really prepared for.

Is the GBA version's extra-dungeon worth bothering with? I mean, is it fun, or is it the typical slog through super-powered enemies to fight stat-boosted recolors of the game's original superbosses?

FF5 GBA's bonus dungeon was the only bonus dungeon in the series re-releases I actually could be hosed to complete, though I'm not sure if that's just because 5 is my favorite. I thought the dungeon was fun enough.

The end boss of the bonus dungeon is actually a unique new sprite and kinda-sorta ties into the story, too! It's Enuo.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Skam posted:

I just started this after only playing through ffv once before and so far i have thief/mystic knight/hunter

all good skiils but im concerned about my lack of healing

Once you can get flame rings you can enchant Fira/Firaga sword and attack yourself. Otherwise you have to just chug potions and high potions but earlier than you would think.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

There's also Drain Spellblade. :eng101:

Though that doesn't work against undead.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Moldy Taxes posted:

Equip Harps is useless.

I disagree. Being able to replace the Berserker's godawful Agility and Magic penalties (-9 Agility, -23 Magic) with the modest boosts of the Bard (+8 Agility, +11 Magic) is really helpful if you plan on using the Gaia Hammer or Rune Axe. A !Magic command from any of the Mage jobs (except Red Mage) would be better, of course, but Equip Harps isn't a bad alternative, all things considered.

Twitch posted:

Here's my current question: what's more damaging for my mystic knight and samurai, brawl or x-attack?

X-Attack, no contest. X-Attack does four attacks in a row that ignore Defense and Evasion entirely, which is fantastic even with the damage halved. Especially on a Mystic Knight, due to how awesome Spellblade is.

Skam posted:

If you've already unlocked the Airship dock and gotten the Airship, you'll notice the Fire Ship dungeon is available down there still. The Poltergeists in there have Hi-Potions available as a common steal, meaning it's easy to farm a sizable number of them very quickly. Being able to toss hi-potions around for healing is one of the few benefits of having a Thief in your job mix.

For a list of good rare steals, consult this Google document a bunch of the guys in the IRC channel threw together: FF5FJF Tips

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

W.T. Fits posted:

X-Attack, no contest. X-Attack does four attacks in a row that ignore Defense and Evasion entirely, which is fantastic even with the damage halved. Especially on a Mystic Knight, due to how awesome Spellblade is.
Be careful with X-Attack, though, because you can't choose your target. Definitely switch it out for something else at the final boss because it can and will hit the dead dummy targets. Spellblade Samurai and Shirahadori (actually maybe more like $Toss) Mystic Knight sounds fantastic though.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Super sorry I probably missed this somewhere but is there any word on if that weird rhythm game is any good I enjoy final fantasy music and my 3ds is gathering dust so was thinking about getting it, but I don't see anyone talking about it at all.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Super sorry I probably missed this somewhere but is there any word on if that weird rhythm game is any good I enjoy final fantasy music and my 3ds is gathering dust so was thinking about getting it, but I don't see anyone talking about it at all.
Comes out July 3rd US, July 6th EU, and for some reason US doesn't have a demo for it. EU does though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

W.T. Fits posted:

I disagree. Being able to replace the Berserker's godawful Agility and Magic penalties (-9 Agility, -23 Magic) with the modest boosts of the Bard (+8 Agility, +11 Magic) is really helpful if you plan on using the Gaia Hammer or Rune Axe. A !Magic command from any of the Mage jobs (except Red Mage) would be better, of course, but Equip Harps isn't a bad alternative, all things considered.

This. For reference, my Berserker with Equip Harp is currently averaging around 3k damage a hit with the Rune Axe, and has enough MP to constantly critical all the way to the next save point.

I managed to end Wendigo dealing over 8k damage with said Rune Axe thanks to Hero's Rime going on the entire battle (and in the end, having two people singing it since Regen was healing more than enough by that point).

World 3 has become a joke after the Pyramid gave me more awesome goodies than I could've ever hoped for. The Sealed Weapons, Phantom Village accessories (i.e. RunningShoes) and World 3 songs are just massive bonuses that make the game easy and entertaining as hell. Usually it's the random encounters that give me trouble. I haven't actually struggled with a boss since the Crystals at the Forest of Moore.

I also find it amusing that I'm using my Bard as my magic user and my Red Mage as my singer, and that my Monk has to rely on Equip Axes just to stay competitive in damage to my Berserker.