Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.

Writer Cath posted:

EARS!

Awesome picture! It reminds me of one of those high school portraits :3:.

It's pictures like this that prove that Danes are (as my friends say) "magnificent beasts."

EDIT: Argh, new page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tboeske01
Apr 6, 2011

in the end the addition of charles barkley did improve the amount of dunk in the proposed replacement picture as expected, even exceeding our more modest projections easily.

A Sleepy Budgie posted:

Is this Houdinie's own chair? I would like to think you got it just for him :3:

The chair came with the house? He just kind of took it over.

tboeske01 fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jul 9, 2013

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?
So, we got Ridley a(nother) friend. Turns out, he's a giant pushover.

OH GOD A PUPPY

I LIKE PUPPIES

Ok make it stop.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

:3: He just looks so happy to be a big flop around.

Also, I would very much appreciate it if someone would send medical personnel my way:

Emergency danectomy. From somewhere around my ribs.

I was loving around with the camera and Ires after I took some pictures of Kaydee. Apparently Amy was jealous. I was flopped belly first over the arm of my couch. So Amy decided my entire back was a cushion. It took me a good ten minutes just to get turned around enough to get that picture. She was some combination of sad/stupid and upset so deciding to plow into my back was the best option I guess. Dane love :downs:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Staghound (Greyhound+Deerhound mix) at Petco. You can't really see it here, but they have grey hair on their face. It's like the Father Time of dogs.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

actionjackson posted:

Greyhound/Deerhound

That is the coolest goddamned dog. I wonder what happens when you put a greyhound and a newfie together. Borzoi?

Also, hey guys? I solved the worst issue plaguing great dane and other giant breed dog owners today.

Elbows and hocks off the ground? Check.
Dog not moving, ever? Check
Waterproof? Check
Washable cover? Check

Total cost: $100 or so with shipping, including dye to make the sheet red.

I picked up a brand new twin mattress for $69 locally, put a zippered vinyl cover on it (from here: http://www.shopbedding.com/mattress-covers/zippered-style/vinyl-mattress-cover-with-zipper-6-gauge.html ) and got a cotton cover for the outer layer ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001M52K6Y/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00 this also zips) and put it all together. Took 5 minutes, will pull apart just as easy for cleaning and my only real worry is the vinyl sheet ripping.. and if it does, you can pick them up anywhere, really, and I'll probably order some extra so I have them on hand. As it is, we'll see how long it lasts. Balen's stretched out as far as he can go and he's totally unconcious.

I really thought mattresses were over the top and crazy, but man, he just seems so much more comfortable and it's so much cheaper than a bed that's not as nice, at their size. Plus, Balen Just Turned 7 it's nice to have the extra support.

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Post full of awesome!

Thank you! We have been trying to figure out the best way to get a good bed for our Dane, Zoe, so she'll quit invading ours at night and I think that would do it.

Didn't realize you could get covers and sheets that zipped around that way.

Yay!

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

There's a dude at our dog park who's been snapping a lot of pictures recently, which works for me as they are fairly awesome:

Throwing the rope (to himself):

Annnd Gus looking way more fierce than he really is :staredog::

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I'm afraid to tell you that your dog has been infected with some sort of plague.

:3: And I'm glad I helped out. Yay!

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I'm afraid to tell you that your dog has been infected with some sort of plague.
Yes, I believe it's called: "rope-madness."

The picture simultaneously makes me :3: and :aaa: though, maybe I'll put it on a "Beware of Dog" sign to scare off people who don't know the *true* nature of Danes.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
Hey folks, say hello to CNGD, which stands for "Currently Nameless Great Dane." Crap iPad photo:

CNGD was found wandering around a dog park a few counties to the north of where I am, and was determined to be a stray due to lack of collar/tags/chip, massive flea infestation, a number of sores/open wounds and moderate malnutrition/being underweight. He (intact male) was picked up, handed off to a shelter by Animal Control, and then referred to a local Great Dane rescue organization that my mother is part of. Apparently most of the routine foster people are full up, so me & my mom will most likely begin fostering this dog sometime on Saturday. I'm looking for information that would help or be appropriate for a first time Dane owner. Me & my mom have owned mutt dogs for many years, but never a Dane.

As of now, CNGD has a checkup and neuter appointment for this upcoming Tuesday. We are being given a Dane sized cage by the group, probably because we have one dog already and an open plan house that makes keeping them fully separated almost impossible. There will be a cage for our current dog (mutt border collie/terrier mix) who has "issues" with being around other dogs (something I could use some advice on, along with how Danes react to cats - we have one cat also.) My mom has actually met this dog (took the photo) and described him as pretty pleasant and not overly scared/fearful for the situation he is in. We do have a good sized fenced in back yard, and a dog park is less than 5 minutes away by car.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

General basic things/feeding: I'm a huge advocate of elevated feeding. Some people aren't. I would try both and see which one he burps/farts less on and stick with that one. Make sure you have a drat good food for him, because danes don't gain weight on lower quality stuff very well (in general). Don't feed 1 hour before or 1 hour after exercise. Read up on bloat and be ready to deal with that if it happens. Watch closely how he runs around and is doofy. If it looks like he's limping, I'd suggest resting him on a leash for a day since danes are pretty great at getting way too excited and making themselves a bit sore. It's best if he has somewhere to lay down that's soft and padded enough that he won't have elbows/hocks on the floor for two reasons: callouses and joint pressure. And with such a giant dog, the last thing you want is joint pressure.

Is he house broken/does he know come/do you have a fenced yard? If you answered no to any of these, expect that he'll be on a leash for a while. Especially if he's not house broken. Take a look at the puppy thread/new dog thread if he's not house broken.

You said your other dog has had issues: you're bringing an intact (? ) giant dog into the house. There may not be fights, but I'd be surprised if there weren't. I'd suggest checking out the dog training thread and asking for specific tips, since I could tell you about a dozen things but they'll probably break it down a lot more.. er.. sensibly. I tend to ramble.

As far as cats go, each and every dane is different. Introduce them in a very controlled situation and see how he reacts. Be ready to dive and grab the cat and yank that enormous horse of a dog away too if things go badly. Balen loves cats. Amy loves cats. That doesn't mean he will, but in general they do pretty alright.

Don't be surprised if he jumps on the couch/bed/random soft place that most dogs aren't allowed to go. He'll probably countersurf, he'll probably drool all over the place after he has a drink and he'll crap things bigger than you ever thought possible.

:3: But they're awesome dogs.

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

MREBoy posted:

something I could use some advice on, along with how Danes react to cats - we have one cat also.

As with everything, dogs will be different, but Ridley doesn't give one poo poo about cats. Total disinterest, even when the little furry jackasses are trying to eat his tail.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

So the CNGD, now known as Koda, has arrived !

We found out a little more background on this dog from the rescue person who dropped him off. Apparently his owner was at least kind(?) enough to dump him at a dog park. Koda apparently tried to go home with a good number of people, and animal control got called once someone figured out this dog had no owner. He's in a rough state at the moment. He's tested heart-worm positive, and has one or two other types of worms. He also has neck wounds from a too-small choke chain, apparently thinks anything touching him is fleas (and tries to scratch) and is barely 90 lbs. I measured with a yardstick, and he is about 35-36" at the shoulder.

So far his only interaction with our other dog has been with both of them in cages, so they can maybe sniff & get a little bit used to each other. Any barking or carrying on has been generated entirely by our other dog, and so far the most we've heard out of Koda is a little bit of low growling. On the cat front, he encountered the cat on the way inside from the car he rode in here. He gave the cat a couple of good sniffs and that was it. This evening we let him out of his cage to let him out into the back yard, and we didn't notice that the cat had plopped itself down in the cage when we put the dog back in :cripes:. They had about a minute of in-close snuggle time before we noticed, and there was no barking or hissing or murdering. So yeah, so far it looks like Koda might work out with the cat.

One question I would like to ask is what effect canned pumpkin might have on a dog's digestive system. The rescue guy gave us a case of wet dog food along with the pumpkin. We were instructed to mix X amount of wet with Y amount of pumpkin. Only thing I can think of is maybe it has a Pepto Bismol effect on the dog, as he has a pretty unstable gut right now (worms & diarrhea). Vet appointment still set for Tuesday, for further checking up and neutering.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

He's as big as Balen.

Balen is 140 or so pounds. He needs to gain a shitload of weight :(

Pumpkin settles tummies, yeah. It's like a stomach reset button, kinda. I hope his neuter goes well. Make sure the vet knows to support his head throughout the surgery and when they carry him back and forth. Supporting the head and shoulders right is really, really important. They can really gently caress up their back otherwise.

He looks like a lover, poor boy. He needs so many hugs.

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

i want to lock it all up in my pocket it's my bar of chocolate
Also make sure they keep him warm. Danes can get hypothermia when under anesthesia since they have such a large body surface to lose heat from. This happened to Sunday when she was spayed. Make sure he's covered in a warm blanket after surgery, even if you have to bring it yourself.

Also, I have a Coda as well! Spelled different and quite a bit smaller, but it's a good name nonetheless. :)

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed
:unsmith:
Wow, he is really skinny. Poor guy, so many problems. Is there something going on with that eye too? He deserves an amazing home :smith:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Most likely cherry eye, though I'd like to know what's been said about it. Danes get cherry eye all the time. Mastiffs, bulldogs. It's not at all uncommon. :(

Zenithbliss
Oct 22, 2007

MREBoy posted:

Vet appointment still set for Tuesday, for further checking up and neutering.

How's did Koda's vet visit go?

And do any of you have new photos of monster-sized dogs to share?

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

Crap cellphone video ahoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBlh14Fy9vQ

Appointment went well. As of about 3 days ago, Koda is about 105 pounds. Neutering went fine. Apparently these days they just do an incision at the base of the scrotum and ShopVac out the contents. Dog was home same day and didn't require a Cone of Shame & still has a scrotal sac. Many different types of drugs were prescribed, including 2 antibiotic pills, stuff to go in his eyes, and 1 more pill that was described as some sort of stomach settler. Also started a 3 week course of Ivermectin(?) for the heartworms. He currently gets fed two times a day, and is getting a mash of cooked boneless chicken meat, rice, and Wellness brand kibble.

On the Foreign Animal Relations front, we are having lots of progress. The cat has adopted the dog, and the dog thinks the cat is a very interesting thing to sniff and follow around. No fighting or apparent ill-will between them at all. One day last week when we had to take the cat to our vet, we took Koda along too. The dog was apparently VERY CONCERNED about the cat being in the cat carrier and kept pawing at the carrier door trying to open it.

In the above video, the smaller black/white female dog you see is our 4 year old/40 lb. border collie & terrier(?) mix, who is named Jesse. Things have been going well on that front too. We have gotten to the point where we can have both of them in the back yard (supervised) and they are able to co-exist without any significant issues. The few issues we are having probably relate to how Jesse was raised, which is a story that would take up 12 more paragraphs. To keep it short, Jesse got pretty much zero training or socializing with other dogs for most of her first 2 years (gently caress YOU MOM! :mad: :rant: ) and we've been playing catch up ever since.

She is definitely showing signs of being intimidated/somewhat scared of Koda when they are out in the back yard (they do the buttsniff thing, Jesse gets scared, tail/ears go down, she scoots away from Koda). But since they have space to separate, it hasn't escalated much past that. Koda has shown very little inclination to chase or otherwise harass Jesse. In the house one or the other is in a cage, or we can partition the house off into 2 sections (as you can see in the video) and let them at least walk around and maybe stare at each other.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Please get photos of Koda with your cat, I love pictures of big dogs hanging out all chill like with cats. :3:

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

I've been walking this guy at the shelter lately. He's a big boy :3:. I see why you people like these dogs, even if his personality doesn't really suit me (he's a bit shy and standoffish, but cute!).

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

Borderline for this thread, but we just agreed to adopt this guy from the Illinois Saint Bernard rescue. He's a Saint Bernard / Border Collie mix. 8 months old and only 60 lbs, but I have no idea how big he'll end up.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

That dog is going to take after the Saint side of his family in size. I'd almost bet money on it. :3: That fuzzy face.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

mesc posted:

Borderline for this thread, but we just agreed to adopt this guy from the Illinois Saint Bernard rescue. He's a Saint Bernard / Border Collie mix. 8 months old and only 60 lbs, but I have no idea how big he'll end up.

Holy poo poo, that is a beautiful dog. I looked at the photos before I read the words and thought it looked strangely collie-ish for a Bernard. I want this big ol' dog :allears:

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

Fraction posted:

Holy poo poo, that is a beautiful dog. I looked at the photos before I read the words and thought it looked strangely collie-ish for a Bernard. I want this big ol' dog :allears:

Yeah, once we get him I'll take better pictures, but he has the silly collie curled-up feathery tail too.

Dancingthroughlife
Dec 15, 2009

Will dance for cupcakes

mesc posted:

What a gorgeous spotted face! :3:

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Bella is totally not jealous.

She just wants to know what's going on here.

Honest.

legendaryRev
May 1, 2008

Soiled Meat

AcetylCoA! posted:

What do you think the pool is filled with?
just going to leave this here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgIz1Add98s

I know that this is from a few pages back, but god did this just brighten my crappy day. The best is the audio, it's just "HOR HOR HOR HOR HOR" for 2 minutes. I just can't imagine feeding a herd like that.

Shebrew
Jul 12, 2006

Is it a party?

I hope you're aware that all the freckles on his nose are there as indications as to where you should plant kisses. :3:

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

legendaryRev posted:

I know that this is from a few pages back, but god did this just brighten my crappy day. The best is the audio, it's just "HOR HOR HOR HOR HOR" for 2 minutes. I just can't imagine feeding a herd like that.

I somehow missed this and upon seeing it tonight I collapsed in hysterics. It's so confounding, odd, and cute all at the same time! :3:

For content, a guy has started to bring his Borzois to the dog park recently and I'm kind of obsessed . . . they're great looking animals!

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed
:unsmith:
I love borzois. When I was a child I would spend hours studying all the dog breed encyclopedias I could get my hands on, and I always thought they were the most magnificent breed ever. I have yet to see one in person...I would love to pet one to see what their coat feels like :3:

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

A Sleepy Budgie posted:

I love borzois. When I was a child I would spend hours studying all the dog breed encyclopedias I could get my hands on, and I always thought they were the most magnificent breed ever. I have yet to see one in person...I would love to pet one to see what their coat feels like :3:

It's kind of a lot like it looks: silky, smooth, and wavy. :3: The fellow actually had two Borzois at the park, and one was just under a year old ... super cute! I dont usually get smitten over other dogs, but those Borzoi were just as magnificent as my magnificient beast! Very sweetly tempered too.

Zenithbliss
Oct 22, 2007

That Borzoi's gorgeous :3:

I went to a country fair/dog show in Wiltshire a few weekends back and got talking to a woman from a great dane rescue about fostering when we're moved and settled into the new house.

I also fell in love with a herd of Leonbergers, i've always thought they looked lovely dogs but not spent much time with them before.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
Incoming Ozzie playtime photodump! :snoop:

Yes, this is my rear end. What of it?

You can't see me!

Talking to me.

Grumbling at the neighbors for having the temerity to get out of their cars at him when he's wanting to wrassle.

Whyyyyy are you not chasing me? Put the camera dowwwwwwn!

Can't touch this.

I see you. Play with me more.

What? You talking to me?

I'll kick your rear end, man!

I'm tired now, lemme inside.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Ha, with a face that long he can make some amazing sad expressions. He looks so big and cuddly. :3:

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

The Good:

A semi-typical family get together here at the house these days. Jesse, Bear the cat, and Koda all visiting my mom. Koda's health continues to improve, and he has put on over 15 lbs. since my last post. Relations with Jesse have improved somewhat since we figured out what things they were liable to argue over. Oddly enough, one of the things was apparently me. If I gave one dog some direct attention, the other would get pissed and come over and try to butt in on the action. This had the potential to lead to squabbles. My mom has also mentioned "resource guarding", so I guess my attention is a resource to be guarded.

A permanent adoption for Koda is currently in processing. Someone signed up to adopt him, but its going to be at least a month more due to treatment for the heartworms. Koda was given a medication at the vet about 3 days ago, and he's spent most of the last 2 days in a very low energy mode. I heard my mom talking to the vet and words like "arsenic" and "restricted levels of exertion" and "2-3 weeks" were being used, so I guess whatever they gave him was pretty hard-core.

The Ugly

(:siren: Non-auto loading img due to potential for :argh: and :mad: and :cry: or :smith:)

http://i.imgur.com/D7Fxi.jpg

That is what happens when a dog is wiped out enough both physically and mentally to not give a drat anymore. He slept passed out motionless in that position for a good 2 hours.

This past Friday my mom got an email from the rescue org that they needed a spot for another Great Dane they were getting from an animal control shelter in Lake City, FL. We volunteered to take in this dog, and he arrived via volunteer driver (after a 3 hr ride) Sunday afternoon. This dog, nominally named Chaos, is considerably more screwed up than Koda was when we got him. So far we have signs of URI, UTI, malnutrition, significant numbers of scabs/wounds/scrapes/tick marks, worms and diarrhea, served up with a healthy side of psych issues. So far we have seen significant fear reactions to cages, leashes and anything resembling a wooden stick. He is approximately 31" at the shoulder and are guessing he's probably still a puppy (I'd be interested in opinions on that guess, I can provide more pictures if needed). He also has no idea whatsoever that pads and mattresses are comfortable to lay on. He absolutely refuses to even step on one. About the only good thing so far is that he's eating and drinking with no issues. Vet appointment is in about 2 hours so i'll probably post more later tonight.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I'd love a Borzoi to go along with my greyhound, but I don't want to deal with grooming. Plus Abby just doesn't give a gently caress about other dogs.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I got a whole bunch of extra stuff off the Wake Up Your Dogs thread, so have some Balen and Amy:

Noble. Benevolent. Black and tan coonhound impersonation.

Amy photobombs. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Danes seem to have such droopy faces. And big floppy ears too. They're great.