Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

movax posted:

I thought they were fairly decent (both sets, the Crispin trilogy and the older ones). Certainly not the worst the EU has to offer.

A bit late, but wanted to add that the Daley Han Solo books are definitely worth reading. The caveat is that they don't really feel like Star Wars books, which I mean in a good way. They were written between ANH and ESB (though set before ANH) and Daley was told he couldn't include anything from the movie other than Han, Chewie, and the Falcon, so you get to see them going off into completely original territory with only the occasional mention of the Empire or Jedi or Clone Wars. (Although stuff from them, like the Corporate Sector, did later on get incorporated into the "real" EU).

Basically, if you're into reading Star Wars books for the Star Warsy stuff (which is completely legitimate) then works from the actual 1990s-on EU is your better bet. But if you're just interested in some neat 70s space opera books that just happen to feature Han Solo and Chewbacca, the Daley books are near the top of the list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Urdnot Fire posted:

Okay, I'm definitely getting a copy of Queen now :allears:
The guys who wrote them had an absolute boner for acronyms, there's a glossary in the back of each book packed with acronyms.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Thrawn, you should just throw up a small indepedent blog with your Jedi Prince as well. I think the wider internet should see the hilarious part of the terrible EU.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There's another part of the EU that I'd like to read at some point, which I discovered a while ago through browsing Wookieepedia. I'm talking about the comics written by Alan Moore years and years and years ago, which included stuff like a dark side cult called the Order of the Terrible Glare (which is a great name), a "Force Demon" called Wutzek and Darth Vader challenging some kind of giant space octopus to a game of chess.

Has anybody ever read this stuff?

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Metal Loaf posted:

There's another part of the EU that I'd like to read at some point, which I discovered a while ago through browsing Wookieepedia. I'm talking about the comics written by Alan Moore years and years and years ago, which included stuff like a dark side cult called the Order of the Terrible Glare (which is a great name), a "Force Demon" called Wutzek and Darth Vader challenging some kind of giant space octopus to a game of chess.

Has anybody ever read this stuff?
Wow, you weren't making that up. It's even collected in something called Devilworlds. Oh, Mr. Moore.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I love all the wacky EU stuff from the 90's. The bizarre Tales of The Jedi comics, those jedi prince kid books, Galaxy of Fear, etc. To be a kid in a 1997 bookstore again. :allears:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I used to be a huge fan of Star Wars comics. I actually have a big pile of old UK comics from the late 1990s which reprinted stories from Star Wars: Republic and Star Wars Tales sitting in the back of my wardrobe and I have about half a bookshelf of TPB collections.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The Alan Moore comics are fun, definitely worth checking out. Another comic of a similar vein worth reading (if you can find it) is Tales from Mos Eisley (which has nothing to do with the short story collection).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Two of my favourite comics were Boba Fett: Enemy Of the Empire and Outlander, which were two of the first stories reprinted in the aforementioned UK comic. Has anybody read them?

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Chairman Capone posted:

The Alan Moore comics are fun, definitely worth checking out. Another comic of a similar vein worth reading (if you can find it) is Tales from Mos Eisley (which has nothing to do with the short story collection).
Luckily, it's collected in one of the omnibuses, which you can get for like :10bux:

Urdnot Fire fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jun 25, 2012

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I also unironically recommend Jedi vs. Sith. It's simultaneously everything Star Wars isn't (Middle Age armies fighting with the occasional Lightsaber to keep with the setting) and everything it should be (essential themes, etc.) It also has a hilarious clash of between the art-style and level of violence (cute kids being horribly violent).

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Oh, Alan Moore. Can you do no wrong? :allears:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Can any of you guys remember a time when you were still able to take Star Wars seriously? I sure can't.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Can any of you guys remember a time when you were still able to take Star Wars seriously? I sure can't.
When I was a small child who only saw like the start of A New Hope and some (non-Ewok) Endor scenes.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Not seriously, with amusement and excitement when I was ten...

Half the images from Glove of Darth Vader are dead :(.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SirPhoebos posted:

I also unironically recommend Jedi vs. Sith. It's simultaneously everything Star Wars isn't (Middle Age armies fighting with the occasional Lightsaber to keep with the setting) and everything it should be (essential themes, etc.) It also has a hilarious clash of between the art-style and level of violence (cute kids being horribly violent).

That series was a strange one. It was maybe closer in tone to The Lord Of the Rings or even A Song Of Ice and Fire than Star Wars, because most of the Jedi seemed to be members of some sort of highborn aristocracy, referred to as "Lord" rather than "Master" and whose exploits were renowned in song and saga.

It's probably the only series where you'll see a group of Jedi heartily enjoying a cask of fine wine while proclaiming, "Today we spill wine, tomorrow we spill blood!"

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Personally, I quite enjoy the Rebellion and Empire comic series. I quite enjoy reading about the non big three mooks of the Galaxy more and more these days.

Also, Jedi Princes dumb assed three eyed Villain would be perfect for Jeremy Irons to voice.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SeanBeansShako posted:

Personally, I quite enjoy the Rebellion and Empire comic series. I quite enjoy reading about the non big three mooks of the Galaxy more and more these days.

I never really got into Empire. The only storyline I'm familiar with is the one involving the conspiracy against the Emperor lead by the cyborg Grand Moff Trachta. I've been meaning to read Rebellion but I've never quite got around to it. I enjoyed Dark Times but I haven't read it since the whole Vector crossover thing, which could have been handled a little better.

In the same kind of setting, there's also the new Agent Of the Empire series, which I'm quite keen to read at some point. I've heard it's very good.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The one volume of Empire I would most recommend is The Imperial Perspective. It includes one-shots about a stormtrooper on the Death Star as it's being destroyed and what happened to Vader immediately after ANH, as well as the To the Last Man storyline, which was based on the movie Zulu but with stromtroopers and giant aliens. In the Shadows of Their Fathers is also good if you've read the Clone Wars comic involving Jabiim, as it involves Luke returning to Jabiim and learning something about what Anakin's actions there were.

Also Agent of the Empire is an absolute must-read, I can't stress that enough.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

SeanBeansShako posted:

Not seriously, with amusement and excitement when I was ten...

Half the images from Glove of Darth Vader are dead :(.

Yeah, unfortunately I didn't get them all off Waffle Images before it went under. I'm going to see if I have them still floating around in my email somewhere, and fix them if I do.

edit: Found the missing Glove pictures. I'm in there now converting all the images over to imgur.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jun 25, 2012

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Awesome, thank you.

Nobody should be denied pictures of Space Captain Ahab.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There's a quotation on Wookieepedia which sounds like it could sum up this entire series:

C-3PO posted:

Quite surprising. I've certainly never heard any gossip that Emperor Palpatine had a son by a three-eyed alien woman.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

As you read this post, you are now picturing Palpy banging some fine piece of alien rear end. :gonk:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

movax posted:

As you read this post, you are now picturing Palpy banging some fine piece of alien rear end. :gonk:

Quite impossible. You see, he lacked the necessary equipment .

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

movax posted:

Some of the earlier EU made it quite clear the dude might as well be called Emperor Pimpitine.

Dude did look like Bowie in his youth so he could get any play he wanted I guess.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

movax posted:

*Deep echoing voice* "Goooooood!"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

"I have waited a long time for this, my little green friend."

Aciid c0d3r
Jun 21, 2008
"Shouldn't you be out mowing the lawn, or spending time with your wife?"
\
:backtowork:
I don't know if this was posted in here or not, but I thought it was...interesting.
Gotye parody "The Star Wars That I used to Know"

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Aciid c0d3r posted:

I don't know if this was posted in here or not, but I thought it was...interesting.
Gotye parody "The Star Wars That I used to Know"

That's actually REALLY well done.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Speaking of:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84WpcmJ28Yg

It has to be intentional. I refuse to believe otherwise.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Chairman Capone posted:

Also Agent of the Empire is an absolute must-read, I can't stress that enough.

I got to read a little bit of the first story arc and it's great. I especially enjoyed the Muppets reference.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I'm wondering if someone can help me. I remember a few years ago, someone on SA made Star Wars versions of political cartoons. I don't remember if it was for one of these threads, or Comedy Goldmine or Photoshop Phriday, but I remember one of them had the Death Star blowing Alderaan with the planet captioned 'Galactic Debt' and the Death Star labeled 'Imperial Military Spending'. If anyone else remembered them and could post them, I would be very appreciative.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
I think those were done by Mike Krahulik from Penny-Arcade, though I could be wrong. He posted at least 2-3 of them on P-A and those got re-posted here.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

So although Dark Force Rising and The Last Command didn't get printed 20th Anniversary Editions, Audible just released unabridged audio versions. The original abridged Bantam versions were cut down to 3 hours each, and the unabridged versions run about 14-15 hours. Maybe if we buy these up they'll go and make unabridged recordings of the X-Wing series next :neckbeard:

Dark Force Rising
The Last Command

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Speaking of, I'm finally reading Heir to The Empire. I was ashamed to read Apocalypse, and I felt I needed to redeem myself.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I just started the NJO series again. I stopped after like... 4? books the last time I tried (when I was like 15 years old). I really like the premise of it, even though I know the whole "galaxy-shattering-even-which-sets-the-tone-for-the-universe-thereafter" thing never really happened because everything after NJO apparently sucks balls. I'm gonna try to make it at least as far as Ganner's last stand, since that's one of my favorite stories in the EU and a great example of making me care about a new generation of characters that weren't a part of the movies.

Anyway, nearly finished with Vector Prime right now. It's pretty much the definition of mediocre. The best part of the book in terms of immersion and atmosphere is definitely the ExGal post on Belkadan, but at this point Chewie's about to die and I'm really just forcing myself to finish it because I have to.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

NJO is basically the literary form of a bunch of 7 year old kids playing make-believe superhero games in their backyard.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

WhyteRyce posted:

NJO is basically the literary form of a bunch of 7 year old kids playing make-believe superhero games in their backyard.

Let's be honest here, that's basically all of Star Wars EU. Some 7 year olds are just really good at it.

NJO is if you let the Trekkie nerd in the corner have a turn and he came up with the ridiculously overwrought scenario and everybody grimaced and had to play it through anyway.

(Then the various series that follow NJO is if nobody wanted to play games with that kid ever again)

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

arioch posted:

NJO is if you let the Trekkie nerd in the corner have a turn and he came up with the ridiculously overwrought scenario and everybody grimaced and had to play it through anyway.

(Then the various series that follow NJO is if nobody wanted to play games with that kid ever again)
:golfclap: Apt. I've been wondering if reading the whole NJO in about 6 months in my teens messed me up at all? It kind of feels like it should have. After bug orgies and the even more terrible couple of series that followed the NJO seems pretty alright in hindsight. Mind you even at the time I thought the EU needed to be shaken up a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Casimir Radon posted:

:golfclap: Apt. I've been wondering if reading the whole NJO in about 6 months in my teens messed me up at all? It kind of feels like it should have. After bug orgies and the even more terrible couple of series that followed the NJO seems pretty alright in hindsight. Mind you even at the time I thought the EU needed to be shaken up a bit.

I stand by the fact that NJO from Traitor to Destiny's Way isn't bad. Most aren't Zhan level, but everything pre-Traitor could probably be measured in single-digit milli-zhans. At least they get out of the habit of "character death is the only possible way to have dramatic character development". (And Traitor does a really good job of that one, imo.)

...as long as you ignore post-NJO. Christ just thinking about Caedus still irks me.