Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
My first instinct in that situation would have been to search the sealed module to see if there was already a clock in there that had the time on it. *shrug*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
My first instinct would have been to see if there's any way to contact mission control and just go "Hey, what time is it where you are?" because you're setting your clock to their time anyway.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

The Black Stones posted:

My first instinct would have been to see if there's any way to contact mission control and just go "Hey, what time is it where you are?" because you're setting your clock to their time anyway.

That is painfully obvious and makes me feel pretty dumb. It's pretty reasonable to assume they would be in contact with mission control, as there's no other explanation for the magical voice talking to them in that case.

Actually, since Mutta is going to go for his "I saw the clock" explanation, I wonder if "Why don't we just ask Mission Control?" is going to be Kenji's response to the puzzle

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Could be they're worried about how astronauts would handle being out of contact. Lots of poo poo could go wrong on a mission like that, and you can't exactly just turn the spaceship around if it does.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
Oh god, Serika is just too adorable.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

My litmus test for a good show, I think I'm only five minutes into an episode when it ends. Happened with the last with the last few of Space Bros.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Popehoist posted:

Oh god, Serika is just too adorable.

Being hungry has never been so :3:

Serika seems to have finally noticed Mutta beyond "That guy whose brother to that awesome guy."

At first I thought Mutta actually did figure out the time through his air calculus until this "Uuuugh" moment; guys were right, he did see the clock on the dash board.

Air calculus > Air guitar :colbert:

Rubix cube kid disappoints me, I saw Neil deGrasse Tyson solve that rubix cube in like under a minute flat :colbert: He's not space cadet material until he can match him.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
There are guys who can do it in like half a minute blindfolded.

For example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCyYPimImyM

Valsu
Jan 2, 2006

I thought Serika's dad would make up something about her name not having a meaning so she could do whatever she liked. I also thought Mutta would tell the truth about how he knew the time, but I guess his reasoning behind lying makes sense.
On a sidenote, that little pissant kid in Mutta's group is annoying as hell. I hope he doesn't make it much further.

Waiting a week between episodes is killing me.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Valsu posted:

I thought Serika's dad would make up something about her name not having a meaning so she could do whatever she liked. I also thought Mutta would tell the truth about how he knew the time, but I guess his reasoning behind lying makes sense.
On a sidenote, that little pissant kid in Mutta's group is annoying as hell. I hope he doesn't make it much further.

Waiting a week between episodes is killing me.

I thought it was fairly well established that the kid is just a plant. The director and the others kinda mentioned "oh now that he's openly expressing doubt etc we'll be able to get more honest reactions out of team A. I guess the way it was all spoken it seemed to me like he was just there to shake things up, not actually a real candidate at all.

Valsu
Jan 2, 2006

Breaky posted:

I thought it was fairly well established that the kid is just a plant. The director and the others kinda mentioned "oh now that he's openly expressing doubt etc we'll be able to get more honest reactions out of team A. I guess the way it was all spoken it seemed to me like he was just there to shake things up, not actually a real candidate at all.

I suppose that's possible. I didn't really have him pegged as a plant. I just figured that was how his character's personality was designed.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Breaky posted:

Pretty sure they were just making a general observation. Also, as mentioned before, we've heard his internal monologue and it's inconsistent with him being a plant.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Pretty sure they were just making a general observation. Also, as mentioned before, we've heard his internal monologue and it's inconsistent with him being a plant.

That's what you'd think...until you've played (PS3-Game) Heavy Rain. I'm still angry about that "twist".

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

ant episode best episode

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I really like the dynamic of Mutta's team. Serika's got humble expertise, the old guy has got sheer enthusiasm, the OsakaKyoto guy is a mouthy straight shooter, there's the smug guy, and then there's Mutta. You're lucky in most shows to find an ensemble with a fraction of that personality. Looking forward to see how they eventually decide which one among them goes on in the program.

Also, rubix cube kid kind of blew my mind :stare:

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Hey Serika, you look kind of cool.

good episode, but that animation slipup really stuck out for me. o_o

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Well, we can hope it'd get fixed in the DVD/Blu-Ray release.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

This show is so good.

That treadmill sounds really cool, too. Do astronauts-in-training actually use something similar to that?

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

It's ok, Nitta, you can "relax" in the toilet from time to time, it's only natural.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I think that the director guy with the weird voice is actually an alien.

Morgenthau
Aug 28, 2007
Circumstances have gone beyond my control.

Chas McGill posted:

I think that the director guy with the weird voice is actually an alien.

Did anyone felt a bit of foreshadowing when he said "We've run out of time" at the the end? The director didn't sound like that was for the reply letter but for something larger in the background.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Morgenthau posted:

Did anyone felt a bit of foreshadowing when he said "We've run out of time" at the the end? The director didn't sound like that was for the reply letter but for something larger in the background.
Yeah. That's what makes me think he's an alien, or he knows something about the aliens. Plus he's a strange fellow.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

Morgenthau posted:

That seemed like a strange choice of translation. What the director actually said equated to something more like "we're too busy for that", which is pretty normal and reasonable.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Popehoist posted:

That seemed like a strange choice of translation. What the director actually said equated to something more like "we're too busy for that", which is pretty normal and reasonable.

That makes a lot more sense, and it echos Mutta's sentiment nicely.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I like this episode, it really synergizes well with some of the Concern Troll Space "discussions" that happen over in D&D from time to time. Repeatedly people will state "But what about starving african orphans?", and this episode helps me find a good answer to that that isn't just linking the Isaac Asimov video on the benefits of space travel for solving Earth's problems.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
New episode up!

Really great episode that focused on the old timer. We also got new OP and ED's, I was worried about FEEL SO MOON leaving us, but the new OP is worth it just for that loving dance.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Not a big fan of the actual music in the new OP but I completely lost it at Mutta's 'fro eclipsing the sun.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

I love this show so much. I wish it was all out so I could binge through the entire thing in a day.

With regards to the latest episode, wouldn't poor eyesight automatically disqualify someone trying to become an astronaut?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
It would depend on what job on the ship they were trying to do I think. You certainly wouldn't let them be the pilot.

Love the new ED.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Shakugan posted:

With regards to the latest episode, wouldn't poor eyesight automatically disqualify someone trying to become an astronaut?

Nope, quite a few people in the program who have glasses. Comes with being nerds. I don't think pilots are able to.

The biggest restrictions are physical fitness, health, and height.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Zorak posted:

Nope, quite a few people in the program who have glasses. Comes with being nerds. I don't think pilots are able to.

I see. I would have thought that there would be so many qualified applicants that they could afford to be very selective about eye sight, basically for the reasons demonstrated in this episode. If someone who needs glasses breaks them mid mission, they could essentially become dead weight. I wouldn't have thought any organisation would want to take that risk considering how expensive it is to send someone up.

I guess they must send them up with an enormous number of spare pairs.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Shakugan posted:

When I was in the Air Force, I flew as a crew member on flight test aircraft. I had glasses, but it had to be correctable to 20/20 and there was a limit to how bad the eyesight could be uncorrected. I would imagine the same or similar for non-pilot astronauts. Once you're a trained pilot, you can get glasses because why waste the million dollars it takes to train a pilot over a pair of glasses?

For all military exercises, we were forced to wear Air Force issue glasses. The flyers (like I was) had cool wire frame things that looked half-way decent. Non-flyers got what we jokingly called BCG's (birth control glasses). The next generation of such beasts looked a lot better, but they were still sturdy as hell.

I would imagine anyone with glasses would have more than one pair of BCG-style sturdy as hell glasses in their spare luggage. Also, the would not have broken as easily as the plair did in this episode.

Plus, in outer space, there's a thing called microgravity which means you'd likely not "step" on anything, let alone glasses. Plus, we always wore a head-strap to keep glasses on our faces during exercises. We did not look cool, but we were able to see.

I don't know how "real" astronauts manage their eyewear, but I'd imagine it's fairly well in-hand. Here is a link to a WSJ article about "new" SuperFocus glasses developed for NASA (a couple years old now):

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Good episode. I hope the trend continues and we get an episode for each of Team A. It'll be interesting to know the backstories of Nitta and Chimp boy.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Fun to see that Mochizuki Tomomi storyboarded ep 14. If you're not familiar with the name, he's the guy who ran Twin Spica, and if you haven't heard that title before, you really should check it out asaply. :)

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

Does anyone else think Mutta's team, and the old guy specifically, have a golden chance to score points by demonstrating their crisis-management skills? I'm waiting for someone to point out that they would all score brownie points by coming together and helping the old guy out with the tasks rather than turn it into an advantage in the "competition".

I would expect this whole team to make it past the exam, but I think the new OP maybe spoils the results. Or maybe there's no real significance to the different groupings in the OP.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I think the whole, "You have to pick the two team members you consider to be best suited to be astronauts." thing is an obvious bullshit measure to sow distrust, and that they're going to step that up a notch with the broken clock next episode. JAXA has no reason to give a drat about their opinions. This is all just applying pressure in different ways. I'm still waiting for someone in the show to realize it.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Shakugan posted:

Or make sure that there are spares when they launch. Surely a few extra pairs of glasses wouldn't effect the launch weight that much.

But as someone who has been wearing glasses since childhood, what kind of person who wears glasses doesn't pack an extra pair when going on a long trip regardless what they're planning to do on that trip? Or better yet, why was he wearing glass lenses when it's 2025? Every pair of glasses I've been wearing since the mid-90's have been polycarbonate. Sure a step like that would have hosed up the frames but the lenses would still be in tact and a generous amount of scotch tape would be enough to make a serviceable repair for when the glasses we're necessary. For example, it wouldn't be advisable to wear them for the running math since it isn't necessary and all that running will probably cause the jury rigged frames to come apart.

Also, 14 years ago from 2025 is 2011 and from what I've researched Japan isn't officially developing a manned spacecraft right now. There have been a number of proposed projects including small scale testing of a spaceplane but they've all been postponed well before 2010.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
I just started watching, now on episode 12. I can't stop. Someone help meeee :negative:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

darkgray posted:

Fun to see that Mochizuki Tomomi storyboarded ep 14. If you're not familiar with the name, he's the guy who ran Twin Spica, and if you haven't heard that title before, you really should check it out asaply. :)

I read this long ago but the translations suddenly stopped a fair way through the story. Do you know if it's been finished and available or been published in the USA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Breaky posted:

I read this long ago but the translations suddenly stopped a fair way through the story. Do you know if it's been finished and available or been published in the USA?

No idea, I was talking about the anime version from 2003.

The Twin Spica manga appears to be complete at 16 volumes in Japan, ending in 2009.

• Locked thread