Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Leviathan, my favorite deep sea horror film is now on Instant. It's worth it for Peter Weller and Ernie Hudson alone but the rest of the cast is excellent as well despite being a b-grade horror film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

LloydDobler posted:

For those of you waiting like I was, Season 2 of Louie is up now, which is awesome. I'm pretty sure it just happened but it's also possible I just haven't been paying attention, so forgive me if this is old news.

gently caress yes, thanks for the heads up! One my favorite shows ever since randomly catching it on Netflix one day.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

gently caress yes, thanks for the heads up! One my favorite shows ever since randomly catching it on Netflix one day.

I'm sure this means you've delved into Louis' standup as well, but if not he has 3 specials on netflix as well and they are some of the funniest standup you'll ever see.

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009

big business sloth posted:

I'm sure this means you've delved into Louis' standup as well, but if not he has 3 specials on netflix as well and they are some of the funniest standup you'll ever see.

He has 3 stand ups on Netflix? How the gently caress did I miss this. I only see two. Hilarious and Chewed Up.

Also, Dead Space: Downfall and Dead Space: Aftermath are both on instant streaming. Not sure if they are new arrivals or not, but if you enjoyed the games these are an okay time sink. I'd say they are pretty stellar as far as video game based movie cartoon things go (meaning they are okay).

matrocious
Feb 7, 2011
Watched Nineteen Eighty-four last night. Seminal movie and the source for countless tropes. It's amazing how fantastic that movie still looks. Richard Burton gives an amazing final performance but is completely overshadowed by John Hurt who should have been nominated for every award.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you

Tennis Ball posted:

He has 3 stand ups on Netflix? How the gently caress did I miss this. I only see two. Hilarious and Chewed Up.

Also, Dead Space: Downfall and Dead Space: Aftermath are both on instant streaming. Not sure if they are new arrivals or not, but if you enjoyed the games these are an okay time sink. I'd say they are pretty stellar as far as video game based movie cartoon things go (meaning they are okay).
I'm watching Aftermath right now and the animation is like like the Money for Nothing music video. It's hilarious how ugly it is.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Tennis Ball posted:

Shameless was on there for a while, but I guess it's gone now, sorry.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

I'm watching Aftermath right now and the animation is like like the Money for Nothing music video. It's hilarious how ugly it is.

Yeah, the CG parts are loving dire, but the traditionally animated parts are decent enough.

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Yeah Aftermath's animation was a step down from Downfall. But did you think the story was okay for video game based media? I was pretty impressed considering the normal stuff in that genre.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal

His $5 special is still available from his site (along with two new audio-only specials). It's also drat funny.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

matrocious posted:

Watched Nineteen Eighty-four last night. Seminal movie and the source for countless tropes.

I'm just curious what you mean by this.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

22 episodes of Foyle's War are now streaming. For those who haven't seen it, it's an excellent mystery series that aired on PBS in the early 2000s, with fine performances by Michael Kitchen (whom you may remember from To Play the King, Out of Africa, etc), Honeysuckle Weeks and others.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.
I just started Foyle's War. First episode wasn't that interesting, and it moved really, really slow (the murder part of the murder mystery doesn't even happen until about halfway through a 90 minute episode). But I enjoyed the second episode a lot more, and the setting is very promising.

Also, according to Wikipedia, they're doing another season soon, so that past tense might be premature.

edit: I guess I should expand on the main element of the series that sets it apart from other mystery shows, since the guy before didn't mention it. It takes place in the countryside (I think? I'm only two episodes in) of Britain during WW2, following a police detective named Foyle as he tries to solve normal crimes that most authorities aren't paying attention to because of the whole war thing. There's a lot of historical detail, and the cases so far seem to be tied closely to interesting elements of that specific situation (the moving of German immigrants away from coastal areas, British Nazi sympathizers, etc.)

maxnmona fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jun 25, 2012

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.

Tennis Ball posted:

Yeah Aftermath's animation was a step down from Downfall. But did you think the story was okay for video game based media? I was pretty impressed considering the normal stuff in that genre.

I don't know about Aftermath but I thought Downfall was loving terrible as promo material and on its own merits: the dialogue was poo poo, it more or less tells you the conclusion from the beginning, the sound design and animation are lame and I didn't come out of the experience with any greater desire to play either Dead Space 1 or 2.

matrocious
Feb 7, 2011

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I'm just curious what you mean by this.
Here's an apple commercial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYecfV3ubP8

Many images and themes of totalitarianism come from this movie or more accurately, the novel. Big Brother watching you. Goldstien has become a code-word for someone who is scapegoated and villianized as a distraction he is also probably not even real. Newspeak, doublespeak and thoughtcrime have all been woven into our lexicon.

Here's a clip from Star Trek NG that pulls directly from 1984. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChYIm6MW39k

These are just some trivial examples. I'm sure someone more familiar could rattle off a dozen more.

Past Tense Ragu
Oct 17, 2005

Uh, we don't care about TV Tropes stuff here bud.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I thought you meant the movie and not the book.

Yay Pudding!
Mar 26, 2010

Frrrrrrunkis
I just got done watching World's Greatest Dad finally. It was on my list for a long time, and I wish I had watched it sooner. I'm sure it has been discussed here at some point, but I want to bring it back up because I just watched it, and I haven't really liked a movie that much in a while. I kept changing my opinion on Robin Williams character, and I was expecting the other English teacher to pull the rug out from under him before he did it to himself so the ending was great for me. Any recommendations for movies like this?

skynix
Jul 6, 2005
Just finished Drive. I went in not knowing anything about it, and I feel a little conflicted about how much I liked it, although I definitely think it's worth a watch. Near as I can tell, it's, like, Le Samourai but set in 1980s Los Angeles instead of Paris in the '60s, and, obviously, it stars a "driver" instead of a hitman.

Really slick style throughout, particularly loved the soundtrack, and I loved Perlman and Brooks as the Jewish mafia guys. I felt like the movie didn't quite earn its romance story; Gosling's character is necessarily silent and best when he's in the element of his profession, and Irene's affection as a consequence seems almost Manic Pixie Dream Girl in its essential lack of origin. That, for me, undercut the stakes of the action; moreover, I have some quibbles with, like, the odd cracks that appear in the Driver's cool at times--the film seems to vacillate between making him a Le Samourai-esque quiet professional who nevertheless has some mysterious code of honor and trying to awkwardly humanize him...the latter made me feel, oddly, that there was something cheaply "Americanized" about, say, the part where he tells Irene something like "the time that I spent with you and Benicio was the best thing that ever happened to me" . Like the film-makers needed to lay out a cliche justification for his actions that provided him with an understandable pathos rather than leaving it more ambivalent and possibly alienating.

skynix fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jun 25, 2012

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
You didn't find that the questionable applicability of that justification only added to the ambivalence and alienation of the character? The Driver for me seemed to have so many layers that expecting that cheap line to sum everything up would be to expect him to be exactly the sort of crass "Americanized" character that he most definitely isn't.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Past Tense Ragu posted:

Uh, we don't care about TV Tropes stuff here bud.

I really don't think he was using the word in the TVTropes sense. It's an actual word outside of that site.

SoleilEquil
Mar 18, 2010

Shameless was on there for a while, but I guess it's gone now, sorry.

I still haven't seen it! Oh well, at least you apologized.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

The Dead Space movies are really horrible, sort of the Netflix 1 star punishment booth movies to watch when you are really, really, really bored.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I think it was discussed in this thread before, but I just finished season 1 of Twin Peaks and was wondering how much of the second season is worth watching? Loved the first season but the second has 3 times the number of episodes and it seems a bit daunting. I fear Googling anything in case I find out the mystery.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

feedmyleg posted:

I watched an episode or two and the color and picture quality didn't seem up to par for the restoration episodes I remembered seeing a few years ago. Also the effects shots in the intro looked like the original models, not the slightly upgraded CGI versions and the episode I watched (Menagerie) definitely had the original matte paintings. I know not all episodes got the CGI treatment, but wasn't the intro at least redone before all episodes? I guess when I get the time later this week I should just skip through Amok Time or some other episode I know got the treatment to test it. Maybe I assumed the new CGI was used more than it was. Seems silly that they wouldn't have the option to interchange between the two on Netflix.

Not sure if some of the episodes have reverted to non-remastered versions, but there are a lot of episodes with shots that I assume are missing the original 35mm print, especially any kind of transition shot. It's jarring to see a cleaned up HD shot, then the next one is a dirty and grainy uprezzed-SD shot.

Balancing Monsters
Sep 3, 2011

smackfu posted:

I think it was discussed in this thread before, but I just finished season 1 of Twin Peaks and was wondering how much of the second season is worth watching? Loved the first season but the second has 3 times the number of episodes and it seems a bit daunting. I fear Googling anything in case I find out the mystery.

I can't imagine not being compelled to immediately watch all of the second season if you at all enjoyed the first season. I will forewarn that there will be a lot of resolution you'd like to have that you will not receive, while there will also be some resolution that seems rushed and anticlimactic. There were a lot of things going on with Lynch and the network suits that causes some less-than-satisfying decisions to be made. Still, if you love the style, tone, characters, or really anything about the first season, the second season continues to blow open and explore the world and the beyond-world the first season revolves around.

Alberto Basalm
Nov 14, 2005

smackfu posted:

I really, really loved the first season and found the 2nd season to drag at some points. It can get really stupid but for the most part the only storyline you can completely skip is James's. Another rule of thumb: if Cooper is wearing a suit in the episode, it's solid.

edit: there are some really great moments in the middle of the season with Leland, Laura's cousin, and even a new character whose actor you will probably recognize.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Definitely watch season 2 of Twin Peaks. The first season is nice because it has some resolution, but the second has some fun twists and more of the bizarre character interactions that make the series so endearing.

spaztaz
Jan 28, 2009

smackfu posted:

I found the second season to be pretty tedious during the last half. I'd recommend watching the first half of the second season and then watching the last episode of the second season.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
Other famous and/or awesome movies coming off instant 6/30 or 7/1

A Clockwork Orange
Bonnie and Clyde (for the third time by my count... I imagine I should watch it this time)
The Desert Fox
Interview with a Vampire
Videodrome
Species
Creepshow
The Exorcist
Serpico
Risky Business
Top Gun
Memento
A Farwell to Arms
Interview with the Assassin (mentioned earlier in this thread)
both Ghostbusters movies
Giant
all the Futurama tv movies

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

Finally got around to starting to watch Luther since they added subtitles for it. It's about what I'd hoped for - Idris Elba is great, of course.

I do have to agree with whoever said before that the yawning thing was pretty bullshit even for a TV show. I liked the first episode and will watch the rest of it - the plot is a bit contrived but the acting is pretty good. It reminds me a bit of a toned-down version of the Jason Statham rogue cop movie Blitz*. Rome fans should recognize the actress that played Vorenus' wife (as Luther's ex-wife).

*Good flick - it's a less-actiony role for Statham. Plus it has Aiden Gillen as a villain.

London Boulevard - another decent adaptation of a book by the same author that wrote Blitz - is up on streaming as well. Colin Farrell is pretty good in it and it's got Ray Winstone as a psychotic London gangster - what's not to love?

Encryptic fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jun 26, 2012

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

mod sassinator posted:

Definitely watch season 2 of Twin Peaks. The first season is nice because it has some resolution, but the second has some fun twists and more of the bizarre character interactions that make the series so endearing.

I have four episodes left (and all this talk of FWWM is getting me really excited to finish it and go on to that- not to mention the way events are ramping up again) and there have only been one or two episodes that have been notably not-as-good. After Lynch leaves the show there is a focus on the goofier aspects for a while for sure. It's a nice change of pace but does go on for a bit. You'll slap your forehead maybe two or three times.

The best part about season 2 so far is seeing who guest stars for a few episodes.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

skynix posted:

Just finished Drive. I went in not knowing anything about it, and I feel a little conflicted about how much I liked it, although I definitely think it's worth a watch. Near as I can tell, it's, like, Le Samourai but set in 1980s Los Angeles instead of Paris in the '60s, and, obviously, it stars a "driver" instead of a hitman.

The only thing 80s about that movie is the ambiance. Just looking at the cars showcased throughout the movie should tell you it's placed roughly in the present.

Bryan Cranston is great in it though. I didn't much care for Goslings' quiet protagonist bit. I found it to be overrated. It was a decent flick but watching it once was enough.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

According to Instant Watcher we'll be getting some good stuff July 1st, including:

The Intruder
Once Upon A Time In The West
Don't Look Now
Sleeper
12 Monkeys
Raising Arizona
In The Mood For Love
The Fifth Element

Not sure if it's a worthwhile trade for some of the stuff we're losing, but I've been meaning to see a couple of those.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
Don't Look Now is currently extremely difficult to find so I'm happy for that. Also, if the past is any indication, half of the stuff we are "losing" will probably trickle back over the next month or so.

Once Upon A Time In The West is a must for anyone who hasn't seen it. Personally, I think it's the best Leone film and in the Top 3 Westerns of all time.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Aren't some of those coming back? I could've sworn 12 Monkeys was on Instant before.

AndyP
Nov 7, 2011
Don't care what anyone says, I love The Fifth Element. :colbert:

Acute Hepatitis
Feb 25, 2008

King of Bikes

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Aren't some of those coming back? I could've sworn 12 Monkeys was on Instant before.

in the mood for love definitely was

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Was I dumb enough to miss The Artist or what? I remember a big hubbub about it coming to Netflix with limited exclusivity or whatever, but I still don't see it on there.

Or am I dumb NOW and just not seeing it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Is Battle Royale 2 worth watching at all? I loved the first one, but have only heard bad things about the sequel.

• Locked thread