Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

cooldude2.0 posted:

Fair points. I thought the first movie was kind of incomprehensible. Would anyone understand what was going on in the rape/pseudo-patricide flashback if they weren't already familiar with the story?

Maybe in another 15 years we'll get a third version of the golden age to commemorate their arrival at elf island in the manga.

All will be forgiven with me if all the movies that get released over here come with outtakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
The movie was pretty good, and there was a lot of movement in every scene rather than people standing about looking shocked. They actually stirred about, which I liked. Probably due to the 3d animation.

As for it looking weird at points, I got over it.

Over all the movie didn't have enough "GRIIIIIIIFIIIIIIITTTTHHH!" so it was terrible and I hated it!

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The manga backstory had a fairy in it. Maybe it's related to fairy island.
And the reason Guts will never reach it.

Metal Pink Babble
Mar 31, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ArchDemon posted:

Everyone is already Griffith.

I too feel for the master Bondo artist - bound by chains of contract, commission, and deadlines, doomed to prep cars destined for a destruction derby.

If everyone lives, Miura may be a fugitive on the run. This man has bent the law of foreshadowing unto the very threshhold of breaking; to wield the double-edged tool of flashbacks only further binds one to this law.

Actually, this is so freakin' cool I think I just might wet my pants in anticipation of the conclusion to this arc.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

I posted:

The manga backstory had a fairy in it. Maybe it's related to fairy island.
And the reason Guts will never reach it.

If this elf turns out to be the same dead one in the jar that almost made Puck faint (in the old man's secret lab from the apostle Count arc) I will seriously cry. And my tears will run black as pitch

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Apparently 329 is out...somewhere

becrumbac
Apr 25, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Apparently 329 is out...somewhere

http://view.thespectrum.net/series/berserk-chapter-329.html

Not the best translation though.

The Timely Howard
Dec 26, 2008

ASK ME WHAT MAKES ME THINK I'M SO FUNKY
Is anybody going to go see the new Berserk movie? I'm thinking I'll hit up the early show in Shibuya on Wednesday.

SO PUMPED

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
I can't believe I'm happy to see a god drat fairy.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

temple posted:

I can't believe I'm happy to see a god drat fairy.

I can't believe I'm so sad about a fairy

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
Well at least Muira can get his loli jollies off without overt fanservice...

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
:smith:
The usual Berserk, making me sad.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Some new info from the :japan: neck of the woods again on the second movie. God, why do I torture myself:

Apparently, Zodd's appearance during Doldrey has been cut. I can see a bunch of changes for obvious film-making reasons, but really? Taking out Zodd? A simple, ten second thing that adds an interesting dynamic to him and his relationship with Guts? The gently caress is the point? How the hell does Boscogn get his poo poo ruined? That's anticlimactic as gently caress if Guts just offs him with his broadsword, him using Zodd's sword was pretty loving boss. Not that big of a loss, but that was a pretty awesome scene that turned out great even in the original anime.

The bar scene with Guts, Judeau, and Corkus is gone. Another removal I don't agree with (along with the initial raid in the first one), as it's something that could have been handled in a few minutes and gotten a little development in. At this point I think they just want to get to the post-Golden Age chapters as quickly as possible because that's what fans haven't seen animated yet.

And apparently the Bonfire of Dreams chapter has been compressed into the chat Guts has with Caska on the balcony of the ball, which sounds like it actually works out.

Puck, Farnese, and Serpico all make cameos of some sort, the latter two at the ball, Puck randomly I think. Naturally this has people grabbing their internet pitchforks and torches. (But they'll buy the Blu-ray when it comes out, of course. :allears:)

Forgot spoiler tags, ughhhh

Good soup! fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jun 25, 2012

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
Might want to spoiler that poo poo son.

Removing the bar scene makes some sense because it does take a disproportionate amount of time. But holy poo poo taking out Zodd at Doldrey is loving awful, it takes pretty much no extra screen time and is a great scene (though in hindsight it's a bit pointless, maybe this is something Muira wanted?).

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
Here's the EG release of 329, which I like to pretend is a bit more readable maybe.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
I always thought evil genius releases were the gold standard for berserk. In terms of scan quality, at the very least.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
This can only end one way :smith:

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

ANIME AKBAR posted:

Might want to spoiler that poo poo son.

Removing the bar scene makes some sense because it does take a disproportionate amount of time. But holy poo poo taking out Zodd at Doldrey is loving awful, it takes pretty much no extra screen time and is a great scene (though in hindsight it's a bit pointless, maybe this is something Muira wanted?).

I don't think any cuts are made for Miura's input at all, I don't think he's very involved. They're just for time, or director's choice I guess.

Other stuff not in the 2nd movie. It probably has more cut than the first.

Minor: The Griffith-Gennon Flashback showing that he sold his body to him to get money to help the Band.

MAJOR: The queen's assassination. She isn't in the movie, full stop. She just doesn't exist as a character now.

Another little thing, but with kind of big impacts is no references to when Griffith suggests he'd rather Guts die than leave the band of the hawk, when he fights him. With the queen's assassination removed (and therefore when he kidnaps Minister Foss' child in order to blackmail him), most of the dark side of Griffith's character is gone.

So I guess we're supposed to infer that Griffith is willing to go to any lengths for his dream pretty much entirely from assassinating Julius in the first movie. Yay.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Hmm well those cuts make Griffin seem more like a hands-off type of scheming rear end in a top hat, which is more in line with his character currently.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

notZaar posted:

Hmm well those cuts make Griffin seem more like a hands-off type of scheming rear end in a top hat, which is more in line with his character currently.

How is it? He still had other people do most of the work back then, but occasionally would deliver his own personal input, like personally burning the queen's tower.

Now, he's still hands-on sometimes, like when he personally intervenes to deal with Ganishka.

I wont buy any kind of squireling this to sound like it "fits the character better" tripe. It just makes the fact he'd sell out all his comrades at the Eclipse less believable.

EDIT: By the way, box office estimates.

1 (1) Snow White and the Huntsman (Toho-Towa) ¥189,733,000 ($2.6 million), -37.5%, Week 2
2 (2) Glow of Fireflies (Toho) ¥157,417,000 ($2 million), -33.4%, Week 3
3 (3) MIB 3 (Toho-Towa) ¥116,334,000 ($1.5 million), -43.8%, Week 5
4 (4) Thermae Romae (Toho) ¥87,960,000 ($1.1 million), -42.1%, Week 9
5 (new) LOVE, Masao-kun Ga Iku (Shochiku) ¥71,956,000 ($900,000), Week 1
6 (5) Dark Shadows (Warner Bros.) ¥41,626,000 ($520,000), -45.6%, Week 6
7 (new) Berserk The Golden Age Arc II (Warner Bros.) ¥27,913,000 ($350,000), Week 1
8 (7) We Bought a Zoo (FOX) ¥22,464,000 ($280,000), -58.4%, Week 3
9 (8) Girls (Toho) ¥20,649,000 ($260,000), -57.7%, Week 5
10 (9) Sadako 3D (Kadokawa Pictures) ¥20,069,000 ($250,000), -53%, Week 7

First movie's weekend gross was $594,707, so this would put the 2nd in at nearly $250,000 less. Maybe not a good sign for the project's long-term. Really hoping that these are the kind of numbers they were expecting, or taking this "rushed" approach to get through the Golden Age might come back and bite them in the rear end. There's no way they'll get to animate post-Golden Age material (as in, beyond the couple of tiny clips they've done just now) if the project turns out to be a financial flop.

Mr. Deathy fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jun 25, 2012

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Mr. Deathy posted:

I wont buy any kind of squireling this to sound like it "fits the character better" tripe. It just makes the fact he'd sell out all his comrades at the Eclipse less believable.
Yeah, the manga did an excellent job of building up Griffith as this horrifically ambitious man who would do anything, literally anything, to achieve his dream of ruling his own nation. If the second movie is taking away so many iconic scenes, it could end up portraying the series' main antagonist as just a simple Machiavelli wannabe with little depth. It'll cheapen the one time he did something stupid and self-indulgent because he "forgot his dream". (Taking out his frustration from losing to Guts by having sex with Charlotte, thereby setting up his downfall and his despairing moment when he sacrifices all of his friends to be devoured by demons so he can get back in business with a new body.)

Is the CG in the second movie any better, at least?

Soulcleaver fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jun 25, 2012

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
I just finished reading from the start, up to the current chapter over the last 3 days and I am completely in awe. The last manga to engross me to such an extent was 20th Century Boys. Whats the release schedule for this? Waiting between chapters is going to be absolute murder.

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.
Will there only be 3 movies? Or are more planned but not announced?

Unacknowledged fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jun 25, 2012

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

FiftySeven posted:

I just finished reading from the start, up to the current chapter over the last 3 days and I am completely in awe. The last manga to engross me to such an extent was 20th Century Boys. Whats the release schedule for this? Waiting between chapters is going to be absolute murder.

There isn't one. Usually a handful of chapters will come out weekly or biweekly then he'll take a few months off.

KoB
May 1, 2009

FiftySeven posted:

We get maybe half a dozen chapters a year, sporadically.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde

dis astranagant posted:

There isn't one. Usually a handful of chapters will come out weekly or biweekly then he'll take a few months off.

KoB posted:

This does not bode well... Perhaps I should just do another massive re-read in 10 years or so, Its as good a plan as any!

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

KoB posted:

More like 10-12. He's been pumping out a 250 page volume every year pretty consistently for the last few. They came out every 6 months til 2007 or so.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jun 25, 2012

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

dis astranagant posted:

"Taking a few months off" is probably a bad way to put it, with this level of quality I'm sure he's working his butt off most of the time and just publishes it in chunks.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Unacknowledged posted:

Will there only be 3 movies? Or are more planned but not announced?

From what I've seen, they certainly have their eyes set on slowly adapting the entire series. It would be really nice, but it's likely we'll have to wait for international sales numbers to get an idea of where they're going.

I'm kind of hoping that all these Golden Age cuts aren't setting precedent for later adaptations if they happen (but that's likely the case). If those bastards gently caress up the fight with Grunbeld or any more backstory...:arghfist::spergin:

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
I can't really imagine they expect to adapt the entire story into movies though, so who knows if that's even in the cards.

They can more or less get away with cutting things down a lot for this trilogy in order to get around material that most people have at least vaguely heard of, by simply using the current project as a glorified abridgement to increase casual awareness, but most of the post-Eclipse content would definitely work better as a TV series or at least OVA release.

As for the cuts mentioned...they're not entirely welcome, to be honest, but I'll still watch the film and see if it holds together in spite of them. The horror stories about the first movie were greatly exaggerated, even with the questionable CGI, and this one might still be watchable, if nothing else, despite all the simplifications and limited running time.

wielder fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jun 25, 2012

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

wielder posted:

I can't really imagine they expect to adapt the entire story into movies though, so who knows if that's even in the cards.

They can more or less get away with cutting things down a lot for this trilogy in order to get around material that most people have at least vaguely heard of, by simply using the current project as a glorified abridgement to increase casual awareness, but most of the post-Eclipse content would definitely work better as a TV series or at least OVA release.

As for the cuts mentioned...they're not entirely welcome, to be honest, but I'll still watch the film and see if it holds together in spite of them. The horror stories about the first movie were greatly exaggerated, even with the questionable CGI, and this one might still be watchable, if nothing else, despite all the simplifications and limited running time.

Well it is true that I don't expect them to just keep going with movies forever. It would be a bizarre format.

If they do follow on with OVA's though or a new TV series, I'd still logically expect it to link to the "movie canon" though and be consistent with the omissions they made.

It is true though that they always intended this as being a bridge into animating post-eclipse content eventually. I mean there's a reason those characters are in the movie opening!

EDIT: By the way, regarding the most recent chapter...I have a niggling feeling that this is kind of out of character dialogue for Guts? Maybe I should buy it because he was motivated mainly by getting out of jail, or also because this was when he was still a youth and not quite the "twisted adult" he became yet. I dunno though.

Mr. Deathy fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jun 25, 2012

Rakugoon
Jul 30, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Mr. Deathy posted:

By the way, regarding the most recent chapter...I have a niggling feeling that this is kind of out of character dialogue for Guts? Maybe I should buy it because he was motivated mainly by getting out of jail, or also because this was when he was still a youth and not quite the "twisted adult" he became yet. I dunno though.

Guts has always been a kind person, though. It's at least part of what the manga's about. He just has really really lovely luck. I mean, what kind of rear end in a top hat would you be if you survived the Eclipse?

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Mr. Deathy posted:

I don't think any cuts are made for Miura's input at all, I don't think he's very involved. They're just for time, or director's choice I guess.
Legally in Japan the original creator, like say a mangaka or book author, has final say over anything that happens. Nothing can happen in a Berserk adaptation that Miura or a proxy he picked hasn't approved. And even if the proxy lets something happen that Miura doesn't like at any time he can pull the plug. Even if it's just hours till it premiers to the public they have to stop and shut it down.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

He could just flat out not give a gently caress, though.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

Guyver posted:

Legally in Japan the original creator, like say a mangaka or book author, has final say over anything that happens. Nothing can happen in a Berserk adaptation that Miura or a proxy he picked hasn't approved. And even if the proxy lets something happen that Miura doesn't like at any time he can pull the plug. Even if it's just hours till it premiers to the public they have to stop and shut it down.

Cool. Prove that this happens in practice.

You're basically implying that every manga author has to actively watch every single episode, movie or game made on their license and okay all of it AND that this actually happens.

Obviously they can just give the screenplay a nod without reading it, or basically give a blanket approval of stuff. Or just have someone else rubber stamp things that come their way. I doubt there's a law enforced on authors choosing not to give a poo poo!

To have ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING meet their approval, they'd literally have to sit and fight with massive teams of staff working on anime productions and get around things they can't really help, like budget and time restraints.

I don't think Miura really gives that much of a poo poo. There's always stories about how authors are "heavily involved" in stuff and then in practice all that happened was they might have spotted one insane choice in a script and said "That would be a really bad idea (e.g. say J.K. Rowling intervening so Dumbledore wouldn't have a girlfriend)". That doesn't mean they dont accept that somewhere along the line, their artistic vision is going to suffer when transferred to another medium.

quote:

Guts has always been a kind person, though. It's at least part of what the manga's about. He just has really really lovely luck. I mean, what kind of rear end in a top hat would you be if you survived the Eclipse?

Guts as a kid killed his rapist out of vengeance. As a young adult he was carrying out assassination's without questioning their moral legitimacy in any sense whatsoever and only had a temporary tinge of regret over murdering a child. I don't think we're supposed to just buy "He was born a lovely man but has such bad luck". I think we are supposed to question his character. The "beast inside" isn't some literal demon, it is a part of who he is. The part that wants him to rape his girlfriend and kill everyone he sees. Sure, bad events made him that way, but everyone's nature is shaped by causality to some degree.

Mr. Deathy fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jun 25, 2012

Rakugoon
Jul 30, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Plus it's entirely likely that an author might be interested to see what someone else does with their work. Or that they didn't really like a particular plot point that fans sperg over.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Mr. Deathy posted:

You're basically implying that every manga author has to actively watch every single episode, movie or game made on their license and okay all of it AND that this actually happens.
I did nothing of the sort. It's the very reason they hire people as their proxy. Being busy people they can't sit in on everything but they do have someone there for them that approves of things for them during meetings and tells them what's happening in the production after. I wasn't even trying to tell you you were wrong, just that if something that Miura or someone acting in his interest didn't want something cut it wouldn't be, so I don't know why you're getting defensive.

Sure he could not care about the production and just hand it off to some intern at Hakusensha but why would a man who has spent the last 20 years of his life making a comic not care about what people do to it when he has all the power in the world over it?

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

Mr. Deathy posted:

Guts as a kid killed his rapist out of vengeance. As a young adult he was carrying out assassination's without questioning their moral legitimacy in any sense whatsoever and only had a temporary tinge of regret over murdering a child. I don't think we're supposed to just buy "He was born a lovely man but has such bad luck". I think we are supposed to question his character. The "beast inside" isn't some literal demon, it is a part of who he is. The part that wants him to rape his girlfriend and kill everyone he sees. Sure, bad events made him that way, but everyone's nature is shaped by causality to some degree.

This took part before Guts had everything taken away from him, before his inner beast. He's still human and he still empathizes.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Mr. Deathy posted:

As a young adult he was carrying out assassination's without questioning their moral legitimacy in any sense whatsoever and only had a temporary tinge of regret over murdering a child.

Watching the movie actually made me realize that, on some level, this is what made him leave the Band of the Hawk. Not out of guilt about what he did, necessarily, but it was what made him question his willingness to live his entire life on someone else's terms.

Guts, at least before he becomes a crazy vengeance addled one man army, is a bit prickly, but not an out and out rear end in a top hat. Every person we see Guts be rude to is either trying to kill him or tell him what to do. Much like that other famous icon of rage, he's a relatively cool guy if you don't provoke him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

OnimaruXLR posted:

Guts, at least before he becomes a crazy vengeance addled one man army, is a bit prickly, but not an out and out rear end in a top hat. Every person we see Guts be rude to is either trying to kill him or tell him what to do. Much like that other famous icon of rage, he's a relatively cool guy if you don't provoke him
What about in the first volume when he's a total dick to people who help him out, like Puck and Vargas? Granted, the beginning of the series was pretty rough and Miura hadn't got into his groove yet, so a few slightly out-of-character moments are to be expected.