Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
I remember when early versions of Live froze up they would keep spitting out random bits of audio from the track you were working on, sometimes for 10-15 minutes. Sometimes it sounded really cool, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
Well, removing my crappy wifi dongle and uninstalling its crappy software seems to have fixed the problem! Luckily the dongle was only temporary. Thanks for your help, guys, I would never have figured out that was doing it.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

I'm using Maschine as my main software for making beats in Ableton, typically by programming in a pattern and dragging the MIDI clips to the Maschine channel. This all works nicely because Maschine kicks rear end.

What I'm trying to figure out is how to setup Group B with a different set of samples, either than I can again program in a pattern, or more importantly, tap out stuff on the fly while Ableton is running the sequence. Can anybody give me a hand with this?

-- ignore this, i found out.

You can assign groups as MIDI channel numbers within the Maschine software (right click on the blue bar thing) and then assign various MIDI channels from Live to each channel. Therefore you can have multiple streams going that are preprogrammed on the lane while being able to play other groups with the push of a button. gently caress Maschine is a great investment.

magiccarpet fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jun 11, 2012

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

magiccarpet posted:

You can assign groups as MIDI channel numbers within the Maschine software (right click on the blue bar thing) and then assign various MIDI channels from Live to each channel. Therefore you can have multiple streams going that are preprogrammed on the lane while being able to play other groups with the push of a button. gently caress Maschine is a great investment.
Glad you got it working. I'll probably write a tutorial on this soon because the first-time set-up is a little bit daunting- but once you've mapped your Live channels to Machine groups it's solid. It took me two days to figure out how to do a similar thing with Live and Kontakt.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.
By the way, 33% off all Ableton products until June 15th. I just learned I could have saved over $200 on my recent purchase of Live Suite had I waited 'til this week.

EDIT - and if you have a free Live Lite license (from the recent SoundCloud promotion, or bundled with hardware, for example), the upgrade discount still applies as well, meaning you can get the Suite box for just about half the usual retail price (it's normally $849 USD for a new license).

Radiapathy fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jun 14, 2012

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon
This convinced me to make an honest woman of my Ableton install. Didn't go for Suite, figure I can get by with Simpler instead of Sampler now (especially since I have Komplete).

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

Are there any ways to tag or otherwise organize samples (except for folders)? Lite doesn't seem to have any sample management tools, and searching is a bit unwieldy.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Vlad the Retailer posted:

Are there any ways to tag or otherwise organize samples (except for folders)? Lite doesn't seem to have any sample management tools, and searching is a bit unwieldy.

Nope. Just folders.

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

Isn't it pretty to think so.

Oldstench posted:

Nope. Just folders.

A lot of people are hoping for a metadata browser in Live 9, but so far no one knows when it's coming, or what it will include.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Mandals posted:

A lot of people are hoping for a metadata browser in Live 9, but so far no one knows when it's coming, or what it will include.

it used to arrive directly after the suite sale but I've given up on that dream

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

detailed metadata would be nice, but I'd settle for colour coding or 1-5 star ratings. Oh well.

youngallah
Mar 14, 2012

magiccarpet posted:

I'm using Maschine as my main software for making beats in Ableton, typically by programming in a pattern and dragging the MIDI clips to the Maschine channel. This all works nicely because Maschine kicks rear end.

What I'm trying to figure out is how to setup Group B with a different set of samples, either than I can again program in a pattern, or more importantly, tap out stuff on the fly while Ableton is running the sequence. Can anybody give me a hand with this?

So do you use Maschine as a VST within Ableton? I've tried doing this and it makes my computer chug like a mug...

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

youngallah posted:

So do you use Maschine as a VST within Ableton? I've tried doing this and it makes my computer chug like a mug...

Use it as a VST instead of AU, if thats what you are doing. People seem to have a lot of problems with it as an AU. Also, I'm running fairly recent (2010 or so) Macbook Pros and a Mac Pro, both on 10.6 with Ableton Suite 8.11.

But yes, basically what I do is throw Maschine on a new MIDI track, tap out some terrible beats and then right click the Group arrow icon and set the notes to MIDI and allow for pattern dragging. Then its as simple as dragging the group to the MIDI lane. You then simply switch to a blank pattern and hit play in Ableton and the notes will trigger Maschine to play. You can, of course, dive into the notes afterwards so you can make build ups, etc by deleting notes or pushing them around.

There's a guy named SaintJoe on various Maschine forums who figured out all this stuff. It seems NI built the functionality and never told anyone. Since it seems I'm one of the few having luck with this, I'll try to throw open ScreenFlow later today and record a quick tutorial.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.

Radiapathy posted:

By the way, 33% off all Ableton products until June 15th. I just learned I could have saved over $200 on my recent purchase of Live Suite had I waited 'til this week.

EDIT - and if you have a free Live Lite license (from the recent SoundCloud promotion, or bundled with hardware, for example), the upgrade discount still applies as well, meaning you can get the Suite box for just about half the usual retail price (it's normally $849 USD for a new license).

Just wanted to make sure everyone knows that this deal has been extended until the 18th now!

troll for dollars
Jan 10, 2005
What are your guys thoughts on Max For Live? I just upgraded to Live proper form Live Lite, and while Max looks neat I don't know a whole lot about programming. Just curious for some opinions.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Hey dudes-
I did a janky recording of how to get Maschine to trigger itself in Ableton, which opens up a ton of possibilities in terms of build ups, etc. Maschine's pattern sequencer sucks, so I prefer this method.

Once you get this working, you can begin to send notes to different groups by assigning them to various channels (you'll see it in the tab I pull down in the video)- you just have to route the MIDI track to the same value in Ableton.

Vimeo says this will be available in a few minutes, but here's the link.

https://vimeo.com/44207843

breaks
May 12, 2001

troll for dollars posted:

What are your guys thoughts on Max For Live? I just upgraded to Live proper form Live Lite, and while Max looks neat I don't know a whole lot about programming. Just curious for some opinions.

If you know a lot about programming or want to learn, you can do some cool stuff with it, but if you don't then base your purchase decision on whether other people have already made M4L devices that you'd want to use. Making cool poo poo is non-trivial.

Personally I prefer Reaktor over Max, but that's really mostly because I have a lot more experience with the former. Each has it's advantages and disadvantages, and obviously Reaktor is not as integrated into Live (though I'd argue that the Max4Live isn't integrated as seamlessly as it should be anyway, but that's another story...).

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

colonp fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Mar 8, 2014

Narqulie
Oct 25, 2011
Not really the best place to ask but, any goon got in on the first wave of Bitwig beta invites? Tell me everything about it. I skipped upgrading Ableton because I could use a change, and I've had my eyes on BW for some time now.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I'm building a ghetto Ableton pedalboard out of an old 104 keyboard, and was wondering if anybody had any tips on figuring out how to change programs in Guitar Rig (running as a VST) by some sort of key binding. Am I going to have to slog through the mud with some keystroke -> MIDI -> Ableton -> GR gauntlet, or is there another way? OS X 10.6 on a Macbook.

E: Self-answered a few pages back, it looks like I need to create a MIDI track, add some clips (? on this) and then set them to send program changes to the GR rig channel. Then I can keybind those clips. Am I barking up the right tree?

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jun 25, 2012

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

a dude in a reddit comment page said he wants to recreate RAZOR, FM8 & MASSIVE in MAX4LIVE. What level of crazy-hard would that be?

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon

well why not posted:

a dude in a reddit comment page said he wants to recreate RAZOR, FM8 & MASSIVE in MAX4LIVE. What level of crazy-hard would that be?

I'm gonna guess pretty crazy-hard or at least crazy-tedious.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

well why not posted:

A ridiculous conceit. At best expect to see an unusable, buggy, poor sounding cut down pile of nonsense that'll explode your CPU. Even working full time, by the time this project reaches public beta Ableton, M4L, Razor etc will be superceded by newer, cooler stuff.

Not that folks shouldn't attempt difficult projects, but such a far-reaching goal only indicates how clueless this person is regarding the effort and pain involved to code pro-level music tech. There's a good reason why the market is flooded with a million distortion VSTs all using the same MusicDSP.org algorithms but no FS1R clones.

(NB: M4L is necessarily built upon a block-processing model that fakes or denies a lot of the necessary per-sample modulation required to make the inherent sound of Razor, FM8 & Massive happen. It's an ice-skating uphill struggle right from the start.)

Soup in a Bag
Dec 4, 2009
I don't know enough to evaluate the sound quality or compare it to FM8, but there is a Max for Live TX81Z clone that's free from Ableton. I'd guess Razor and especially Massive would be a lot harder to implement.

canned_fruit
Feb 4, 2008
I'm making a piano track and I've decided to do individual left and right hand tracks. I want the instrument to be the same for both of them so I'm routing them to a single midi track and putting the instrument in that.
Only problem is that I liked to change the volume for the left and right tracks individually which I can't do anymore since I can only change volume once an instrument has been applied which is happening once the tracks are merged. Ideally I would like both the ability to change both volume and velocity individually if possibly.

Anyone have any ideas please?

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

colonp fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Mar 8, 2014

canned_fruit
Feb 4, 2008

colonp posted:

If you group the pianos in an instrument rack, there will be a fader for each in the rack (click the "show/hide chain list"). If you want different, incoming MIDI velocity, I'd say you need to use two MIDI tracks for sending MIDI to the instrument(s).

Why do you want the instrument to be the same? Seems to me like it just makes it harder to work with. What I'd do is have one recieve/play MIDI, then set the other to recieve MIDI from the first piano track.

Thanks, although I'm not entirely sure what you're saying. When you say "grouped the pianos" what do you mean? I don't think I want 2 pianos in an instrument rack, only 1 if that's what you're saying. I want 2 midi tracks sending their data into a single track which holds the instrument. I also would like to be able to change the volume and velocity of midi notes each track sends (well technically I want to be able to change the volume the instrument transmits for each track).

I want the instrument to be the same just so I can switch instruments quickly. I'm using a VST and I'd prefer the parameters I change affect both left and right hand tracks. I'd prefer to use a separate track over doing it in one of the "midi data tracks" just for freedom and clarity.

Thanks again, sorry if I'm not explaining it well.

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Controlling the balance with Velocity devices on each of the left and right hand tracks is how I do this kind of thing.

And because I'm in the mood for procrastination this morning, here's an example configuration.

You probably don't need the note length, pitch, chord & arpeggiator devices on your source tracks. I do 'cos that's just how I roll, baby. :v:

The Piano track is just a MIDI track containing your VST. I tend to put yet another Velocity device before it just to provide another level of dynamics sculpting (via the drive, comp and out hi/low parameters) or fake human feel (gotta love adding some degree of random velocity to notes).

Edit: Here's the project file if anyone's bored. Shouldn't require anything beyond require basic Ableton Live 8: http://cdn.lowbroweye.com/misc/Aleph%20Null%20-%20Krafty%20Werker.als

ynohtna fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jun 27, 2012

canned_fruit
Feb 4, 2008

Awesome, thank you, all very helpful. I think I understand most of what you're saying. I don't think I really want to mess around with velocity->volume, I'm not really sure what it means but what I'm assuming is that you lose the velocity sensitivity? I.e. How hard you hit a note on your piano is strictly the loudness you get rather than controlling the loudness separately and having "velocity" tied to how you interact with the piano. Or am I completely wrong?

The VST is Kontakt and I'd like to be able to swap instruments completely so I don't want to just map their parameters to macros really.

I like the sound of two separate outputs from the track I've routed to, do you think that is actually possible?

Also I like the sound of being able to change the velocities via midi effect using a macro control on my routed track. I've gone over the manual in regards to racks/chains/macros etc. but I can't figure out how to access the velocities of my two piano midi tracks from the routed instrument track. If you (or anyone else) could please explain that when you get a chance that would be awesome.

Cheers for that, I'd prefer to have volume and velocity separate if possible and all controlled from one track but it's good to see what's possible to do with racks and midi effects.

I've also just discovered what the scale midi effect does and my mouth is watering with possibilities for composing, considering I'm a bit of a hack on the piano. Set it to a certain key signature, bang away and anything will sound good (hopefully)!

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Is there a way to have Ableton simply stop and start a device?

I'm planning on picking up an external synth with a built in step sequencer, and I'd prefer to use that sequencer as opposed to programming in Ableton. Sure, recording the audio back into Ableton is easy, but in a performance arena how could I simply have Ableton trigger the external synth to start playing, and then to stop?

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

magiccarpet posted:

Is there a way to have Ableton simply stop and start a device?

I'm planning on picking up an external synth with a built in step sequencer, and I'd prefer to use that sequencer as opposed to programming in Ableton. Sure, recording the audio back into Ableton is easy, but in a performance arena how could I simply have Ableton trigger the external synth to start playing, and then to stop?

Check the synth's documentation to see if there's a MIDI trigger you can send it to control the step sequencer.

If there isn't a way to do it via MIDI, you can still route the synth through an audio track in Live and then activate/deactivate the track to mute it selectively.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Awesome, that mute trick should be a great go to if I can't get the former to work. Thanks!

canned_fruit
Feb 4, 2008

colonp posted:

Yeah, let's say you have set up your instrument to do 100% Vel->Vol. If you send the instrument a note with 127 velocity (maximum) it'll play at 100% base volume ("base volume" being the volume before filters, LFOs etc). If you send it a note with 1 velocity it'll play at 0% (or close) base volume. If there's 0% Vel->Vol, velocity will have no effect on the base volume.

Velocity can affect stuff other than volume, such as filter envelope amount, filter frequency, LFO amount etc. Which options you have will depend on the instrument.

I think it is possible with Kontakt to at least have multiple outs, considering it's reputation, but I don't use it myself. Dunno whether it can do exactly what you want.

It is not possible to send to a rack in a MIDI effect rack for some reason, so my plan for doing this won't work. Whoops. Might be possible with an ugly workaround, I'll check that out. nope, sorry.

No worries, being able to easily change the velocity isn't as important to me as volume.
I've almost got it to do what I want now. Unfortunately I can't seem to get Kontakt to route more than one specific midi channel to a corresponding output channel going through the same instrument. The closest I can do is have 2 instruments in the same instance of Kontakt each going to different tracks.
This is better than nothing since it's a lot easier to just copy and paste the instrument in there but I'll ask the NI thread to see if they have any ideas. Thanks for the help!

E: Oh God you can't copy and paste instruments in instances of Kontakt. ARGahrg

canned_fruit fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jun 28, 2012

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004
Can any of y'all link a good resource on getting lower latency on Windows 7 PCs? Ableton reports a latency of around 50ms in the config screen for the buffers and whatnot, but it feels like more than 200ms from when I hit a key on my controller to when the synth actually starts the note. I don't know enough about how sound works on PCs to diagnose this issue at all.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Are you using either ASIO or wasapi? If not, that's the first step. You can usually set the latency to single digit ms with those two.

that ostrich
Jul 18, 2005

Don't worry, I'm a Media Technician Lead. This shit is on LOCKDOWN.
I have what is probably a stupid question: I want to map a knob on my APC40 to send out midi control data to a Slim Phatty, but I can't figure it out for the life of me.

Basically, if I use one of the Slim Phatty's control knobs to alter, say, the filter cutoff frequency, I can record that information in Live and have it play back to the Phatty. I can edit that info separately in both clips and arrangement, and have it play back to the Phatty without issues.

But, due to stupid midi routing (if I both send and receive track data from the Phatty, it screws up the values of knobs when I try to physically turn the knob) I want to be able to map that midi data to a knob on my APC40. I could probably work out something with midi channels to keep the Phatty from running into this midi "echo" issue, but it seems like just mapping that value to another knob should be easier.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

ejstheman posted:

Can any of y'all link a good resource on getting lower latency on Windows 7 PCs? Ableton reports a latency of around 50ms in the config screen for the buffers and whatnot, but it feels like more than 200ms from when I hit a key on my controller to when the synth actually starts the note. I don't know enough about how sound works on PCs to diagnose this issue at all.

It would help to know what audio interface you're using.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004

wayfinder posted:

Are you using either ASIO or wasapi? If not, that's the first step. You can usually set the latency to single digit ms with those two.

I don't have a native ASIO driver for my sound chip. I tried the ASIO4ALL wrapper but got nowhere. I can't hear the test tone at all from the audio tab of Ableton's config screen, when ASIO4ALL is selected. I don't know what WASAPI is.

h_double posted:

It would help to know what audio interface you're using.

Oh, sorry. I have a Gigabyte GA-EP43-DS3L motherboard that has a built-in RealTek ALC888. I'm using the S/PDIF optical output to a Yamaha RX-N600 receiver/amplifier.

I'm starting to fear that I'm screwed if I don't spend money on more hardware.