Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Temascos
Sep 3, 2011

Tollymain posted:

There are far too many words and far too little grammar in that transcript there. Mind translating?

Ouch :) Our DM typed that in a bit of a hurry last night, apologies for the :words:

Here's the summary:

* Four superheroes go to a tavern and gamble away four million dollars. They were swindled by the guy they thought they caught earlier that night.
* The Loan Shark, Barry The Baptist, tells them to cough up the money and sets his goons on him.
* A lot of fight scenes, and then victory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bassetking
Feb 20, 2008

And it is, it is a glorious thing, to be a Basset King!

Kumo posted:

I want to hear more of your stories. Please.

I told you that story so that I could tell you this one.

Matt, our DM, had a real passion for 1e/2e style "feel" to his DMing. Matt hewed rather heavily to the concept that we, the players, were being graciously granted the opportunity to inhabit the majesties of his creation, and, were as an offshoot of this, the characters we played were his. They came from his worlds, were informed by his gods, learned from his cultures, drank from his streams, and fed from his tables.

Matt had a real heavy case of the "Pre-plannings". What I mean by this is that he'd pick either his fiancee, or Ryan, a mutual friend who was a genuinely great person; but who used his RPG time each week to make up the sleep defecit he'd racked up doing Rad Tech work for his degree. These two were "picked" by Matt pretty regularly, usually because he knew he could keep the two of them inside any set of narrative rails he laid down.

I've used "Picked" a few times here. What I mean by that is "There is an ancient and mysterious prophecy, and you, yes you, are the ultimate chosen one. Because of this, every NPC you encounter is going to know of this, and wish to only speak to you. Every being of power will be insulted if anyone but you negotiates with them. Every dungeon will have a door only you can open, because it was sealed just for you."

This can be a great way to run a game, and is a pretty regular trope of fantasy. Xuanzang only is able to bring the sutras to the east due to traveling with Sun, Zhu, and Sha. Aang only manages to master all four elements due to Toph, Kitara, Zuko, and Sokka. Frodo only makes it to Mount Doom because of the efforts of the Fellowship. King Arthur may be the rightful king of the Britons, but he's not going much of anywhere without Bors, Gawain, Galahad, and Lancelot. Roland needs his Oliver, Ogier, and Turpin.

There are two large portions of these that both have to be fulfilled in order for this format to work. The first is that the group surrounding the main character are not there as a greek chorus, but rather are essential to the success of the primary figure. The second is that the primary character isn't utterly useless.

Matt, regrettably, ran his adventures with the expectation of the exact opposite. The party was there to watch his chosen protagonist further the story he'd devised for his world; and that "The Chosen One" was to be the only one to offer the correct solution, no matter how ham-fisted or terrible that solution might prove.

Because we switched campaigns often enough to begin with, I was loathe to have to spend time reintroducing a character to the story in the middle of one of the existing runs. This led myself, and my college roommate, to build characters that were crafted to function as the bastard child of B.A. Baracus, and MacGuyver.

Between the two of us, in any given campaign, we would usually have between six to nine languages covered, would have high ranks in every knowledge skill, would have redundant sets of disable device, open lock, use magic device, and would have as many spare ranks in "Craft" skills as was possible; ranging from Craft: glassblowing, to Craft: Siege Weaponry.

We carried a massively mundane and esoteric grab-bag of random crap. Bells, string, wax, sand, talc, cheesecloth... You name it, we probably had it.

We then would sit there and play the game, up until one of these "OH PROPHESIED ONE!" moments; and would then have to solve the problem; solve it correctly the first time we tried it, and would have to do so without the Prophesied One catching on that we had bypassed the problem. If it was Ryan; there was no issue. The dude was there to have some fun kicking down doors and harassing dragons; he'd gladly turn a blind eye to the situation if it meant he could spend the time catching up on some sleep. Matt's Fiancee, however, would want to spend two hours of actual time hemming and hawing over the issue before allowing anyone to get near the problem. She'd spend her time actively trying to catch the rest of the party doing something that she, The Chosen One, had not ordained to occur, then either in-game acting to sabotage or curtail our efforts, or shouting and sulking at us at the table, then shame-punishing Matt until he ruled that she was right.

And that was the thing that really galled me, at the time. Matt would claim ownership of every agent and agency in his games. Matt would loudly and stridently argue that players couldn't flesh out the faith their character held, because it might clash with the portfolios and faiths he already had in his world. Players couldn't create the backstory of a criminal organization or monastic order to which they might belong; it might mean that he himself couldn't then write the history of that organization, and in so doing it might cause conflict in the balance of city politics he'd created. We might never actually see any of the politics of the city. We might see three people in the city, total, in the entire time we played that campaign. We couldn't make anything for it, because he didn't want that opportunity removed from his plate. Matt would, however, choose not to hew to these same vocally held tenets when his fiancee was involved.

I'm aware that Matt was doing what he thought would provide the least quantity of friction in his personal relationships, and that, in personal relationships, you need to learn to pick which battles are worth having. I've matured enough, since those days, to realize this, though.

Back then, I was annoyed with him openly playing favorites, and his strident hypocrisy.

Today, I'm sad that he didn't think enough of his fiancee to treat her equally.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
A followup to my last Psyker mishap:

Biting off more then you can chew Or why Daemonhosts are the worst pizza delivery guys

As usual, this tale starts with a psyker, the same one who TPK'ed us before the previous adventure started proper, who, thanks to the miracle of fate points was with us again as we set off to trek across the wastes between two major hives. Thinking herself clever, she used Call Item on an extra pack of rations in our lodgings, in case we were out longer then expected.

After failing our Navigation(Surface) rolls by a lot, we find ourself short on supplies and we decide to teleport in our spare food. Sure as the rivers reach the Sea, that Tzeentchian number 9 rears it's ugly head again in the power roll, again causing Perils of the Warp in the followup roll. This time however, gravity continues to exist, but in addition to our lunch box, an Unbound Daemonhost appears!

For those not in the know, Unbound Daemonhosts have Fear(4), Willpower between 81 and 100, a Psy rating of 8 and 1d5+4 major powers.

Major powers with a DC of 16 that cause 1d10+5 damage to everybody nearby, with an extra d10 for every 5 he beat the check with. The Daemonhost gets to roll 8d10+9 for that(in comparison, our characters all had around 12 wounds). Twice a turn. :suicide:

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Bassetking posted:

Matt would claim ownership of every agent and agency in his games. Matt would loudly and stridently argue that players couldn't flesh out the faith their character held, because it might clash with the portfolios and faiths he already had in his world. Players couldn't create the backstory of a criminal organization or monastic order to which they might belong; it might mean that he himself couldn't then write the history of that organization, and in so doing it might cause conflict in the balance of city politics he'd created. We might never actually see any of the politics of the city. We might see three people in the city, total, in the entire time we played that campaign. We couldn't make anything for it, because he didn't want that opportunity removed from his plate.
This is pretty much the dumbest thing for a number of reasons. When I run games, there is nothing, nothing I like more than to have a player (or, oh hope of hopes, multiple players) who wants to flesh out a piece of the world. It takes a big chunk of the work off of my mind, it hugely increases the level of interest the players have in the world because it is in part their creation too, and it's a giant neon sign to me saying "hey DM I would like for this <noun> to be important in the game, please to be including, thanks!"

I think the underlying issue is that Matt wanted to be a fantasy novel writer, not run a game.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
The people I roleplay with usually end up being roll-players, especially my husband who completely fails to understand things like 'motivation'.

I'd probably cry tears of joy if one of them actually wanted to contribute to the world I was building. :(

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

dragon_pamcake posted:

The people I roleplay with usually end up being roll-players, especially my husband who completely fails to understand things like 'motivation'.

I'd probably cry tears of joy if one of them actually wanted to contribute to the world I was building. :(
I can never push myself to run a game for these types because I put a lot of effort into making NPCs with actual personalities and a plot that is somewhat enjoyable and makes some brand of sense.

Almost as bad as the "my character is literally nothing more than a collection of numbers" guy is the "I have written an intricate and compelling backstory for my character, but I'm not going to let you see it" guy. Who is invariably upset when his character's backstory has absolutely no bearing on the game. :psydwarf:

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Both are better than most of the players mentioned in the Cat-Piss chronicles.

Our hobby sucks. :smith:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Verr posted:

Both are better than most of the players mentioned in the Cat-Piss chronicles.

Our hobby A great deal of the player pool in this hobby sucks. :smith:

This is, despite all appearances, a fixable situation. Don't play with massive creeps, ordinary creeps, assholes, or otherwise terrible people.

though to be honest i've had my share of terrible players in the past so i've got no high ground to speak of

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

dragon_pamcake posted:

Buy Descent, have fun.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Temascos posted:

Had a fun game with my Skype group, we Fudged up some rules and played "superheroes", the following transcript was written by our DM which is fairly comprehensive.

One day, Gunman will find a way to pick up a grassy knoll. Maybe just some turf from the top; maybe a model. On that day, the Kennedy Kannontm will be born.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
We finished off, at least for the time being, our weekly Pathfinder game last night. It was a late session and I'm a little dead on my feet at work now, but fortunately I can schedule the next game to be late in the week instead of at the start.

Anyway we were half playing one of the modules available, I'm not sure which one in particular so if you recognise it you can fill me in. We had a party of :psydwarf:s and myself, a now somewhat less human Sorcerer/Dragon Disciple who were trying to take back a Dwarvern stronghold that had been overrun by Orcs. We'd managed to get in and talk the Orcs out into getting caught between the gates and the army, so after making sure that they couldn't get in for a while went down and dealt with stuff. One of the character's, our Fighter/Dwarvern Defender, grandfathers had been a Wizard. He gotten a cursed ring from a Katapeshi merchant that made him very morally ambiguous and granted him immortality or at least extreme longevity. He was less impressed however to discover the effects on his moral compass and the fact that removing the ring nearly killed him. So being a powerful Wizard desiring to avoid death he naturally became a Lich.

Meanwhile all of this coincided with Ravaguk (the evil god of world ending horrors and monsters sealed inside the world) to release his newest progeny. One of his previous ones is the Tarassque, so our party of 11th level adventurers was going to have a hard time. Fortunately the creature was still weak being newly born, by the time it burrowed to the surface it would be impossible for us to face but right now, we had a chance. We killed the creature boring the tunnel for it, or rather I did most of the work with Scorching Ray dealing nearly 250 damage. My time in the spotlight was mostly done after that though, due to the Baby Worldhorror (The Spawn is a lot less impressive a name honestly) having a carapace with an anti-magic field. I didn't really mind though, it's fun to deal massive damage but I like everyone getting a chance to shine and do stuff. Our real problem with Ravaguk's Spawn was that it was going up the tunnel much slower than the creature that was tunneling for it. We had to jump down about 1500 km, which involved timing a potion of Feather Fall. Our Barbarian on the other hand, a slayer (which seems to be relatively similar to the WH:F version, but it came from some Dwarf guide book) decided that he really needed something far more heroic than that to deal with the Spawn. He set his axe and proceeded to perform the Dwarven Slayer Meteor Impact, which was actually effective due to his 20d6 damage to the spawn. Being a Barbarian he naturally had the meat and the DR to actually survive this rather insane manoeuvre.

So the party in a less than tactically sound decision reached the spawn slightly staggered. Everyone hacked away at it with axes specifically designed to ignore its still hardening carapace (essentially lowering it's AC when using those weapons) while I began chanting a fairly epic scroll. The Lich grandaddy had been preparing for the spawn for over 200 years, which meant I had a lengthy scroll to read and to cast a spell to trap the creature's soul in some kind of horrible phylactory. The vessel was made out of some kind of ore that seemed to be good at preventing souls from leaving the world and had the creature's True Name inscribed on it. The Spawn did still have a saving throw though and it was a VERY tense moment at the table to see if we'd have to keep fighting against the thing (which was slowly wearing us down and would surely involve at least one PC's heroic death) and use a Wish from a Luckblade we had to destroy it. Fortunately though it failed that save and got trapped.

Do you remember that ring I mentioned? The one the messes with your alignment and was cursed? I put that on a few sessions ago! We did remove its curse so it wasn't draining my lifeforce if I took it off, but the thing still had its alignment shenanigans power and I frequently failed will saves to not put it on. So you can imagine that the Sorcerer who was, at that moment, holding the soul of essentially Tarassque Mk.II in a vessel and had a ring that made him decidedly morally ambiguous and had a Luckblade with a Wish had a lot of power at the that moment. Fortunately for everyone in the world I did not submit to temptation. I almost did, the GM was doing pretty well at persuading me that I could really do a lot of good with it and that wasting the soul would be fairly wasteful. But a PC saved us with one good explanation. The thing was a tentacle beast. My character from about the third session of the game, back when we were level 3, had suffered periodic abuse and torment from horrifying creatures with multitudes of tentacles. I nearly got swalled and killed by a horrible sand creature early on, there was a horrible extra-planar abberation later. And this thing...the Spawn was like the infernal almighty god of horrible tentacle beasts. So it had to die.

In the most dramatic fashion possible (I am a high Charisma Sorcerer, there has to be style) I lifted the Luckblade above my help and beseeched Bahamut to come and tear asunder the Spawn's soul from the world. He decided to oblige by sending an Avatar to do so. It was a pretty cool moment for the party, well...not so much for our slightly theologically challenged rogue. Bahamut did not take entirely kindly to his command for "Torag's kindly claw" to take the Spawn's soul to oblivion and stunned and deafened him for a week. But we were victorious and the party finally managed to talk me into throwing that ring down the tunnel and into the centre of the world where I couldn't be affected by it anymore. Thanks to the Cleric and Defender my alignment was saved. :toot: We had a big epilogue where we helped the Dwarven army crush the Orcs, reclaim the city and have a massive party for a week (much to the Rogue's chagrin as he couldn't indulge). The Defender tried to play at politics to gain rulership of the hold and...failed. He's not a very creative person and our GM ran circles around him. The Rogue married into the king's family, the Barbarian got pardoned due to being overwhelmingly awesome and started his own clan. This got him onto the Council of Clan Elders, along with the Defender who was his clan's elder. Now the Lich decided he should probably take some influence in things and after it became apparent that his descendants, the Cleric and Defender, were too honourable to actually make use of his massive and gratuitous list of blackmail to seize control he changed plans. He managed to slip the king and the Cleric potions to make them fall in love and convinced the Cleric that marrying the king would help her protect her brother as well as possibly reform things a little.

So the end result was all the Dwarves got power and prosperity, most of them were now related by marriage or blood and almost all sat on the council. I got to go off and talk to the Convocation of Dragons about dealing with world ending horrorspawns and was deemed 'barely Draconic enough' not to result in the friendly Silver Dragon who invited me and my own deaths. The GM may or may not continue the game later, but I'd like to because most of the game has been about two of the party's character goals which are now fulfilled. I've never really had a chance to steer the story so that it is more focussed on something my character personally wants to do, and having a chance to do so would be pretty neat. I deliberately set up the character with quite a few neat story hooks in his background, which never got used due to overwhelming :psydwarf: story time. It was generally a fun note to end the game, whether it's for now or not, on though.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

HiKaizer posted:

He set his axe and proceeded to perform the Dwarven Slayer Meteor Impact

AKA the Gandalf.

High level campaigns always have the best stories if you can avoid the Caster Supremacy drama. The good old days of Living Greyhawk :swoon:

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I don't remember Gandalf hitting terminal velocity and colliding with a world ending horrorbeast but I'll freely admit it's been some time since I read LotR.

As a Dragon Disciple I miss out on a couple of spellcasting levels so at level 12 which we ended on, I only just got level 5 spells. And I don't take stuff like teleport or scry because I can fly if I want to get around and well, scrying isn't really great for a guy that likes to walk around. Our GM is just a little paranoid about high levelled spell effects and SoD effects. I'll see if I can ply a subsequent game out of him, but I want to run a Traveller game for a while first.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

HiKaizer posted:

I don't remember Gandalf hitting terminal velocity and colliding with a world ending horrorbeast but I'll freely admit it's been some time since I read LotR.

What do you think happened after he fell from the bridge? :science:

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Captain Bravo posted:

What do you think happened after he fell from the bridge? :science:

Pie?

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

HiKaizer posted:

but I want to run a Traveller game for a while first.

Wait you mean there's a second one in the world?

'sup Traveller buddy!

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

dragon_pamcake posted:

Is it that they don't want to contribute, or that they're scared? If they're scared, start them off easy. Next time they roll to remember lore (history of a place, whatever) and they succeed, tell them that they remember the lore and that for the next minute, anything they say about that lore will be true. Then let them talk until they stop, even if they run over a minute, and run with whatever they come up with. The only limitation is that they can't contradict something another player has previously come up with.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Or just run a game of Everyone is John or something like that.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Penny for your Thoughts is the definitive game to teach players "hey, you can add to narrative."

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I don't know that there is a definitive such game, but those are good options. There's also Wushu, very much a "trick your friends into making up stories" system. ghost//echo has the most replay value of any one page game I know. And those are both free, which helps...

Really, the best game for such things is whichever engages your friends. If it makes them want to talk about what's happening, that's the real measure of success.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

Agrikk posted:

Wait you mean there's a second one in the world?

'sup Traveller buddy!

Woohoo!

My friend and I decided we wanted to play space opera and discovered Traveller! My first attempt at it involved trading which was kind of boring except for the guy that made an excel spreadsheet and mathed everything. This time they won't be doing that.

I'm going to run a Mongoose module which sounds like fun, it's their current incomplete one which is for free if you want to read into it. As it has a lot of sandbox potential I fully expect my players to ruin everything and everyone, so I'm sure I'll have stories to tell you all soon enough!

Edit: Wushu is kind of nice for co-operative story-telling, although most of my friends that have tried to run it haven't actually done it right. It's a little odd in that dying in combat isn't actually dying, but just losing narrative control, and that you never mechanically improve. But if you can get your head around all of that it's fairly fluid and can be a lot of fun.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

This is a recent 3.5 D&D story from a creative GM and a very meta player.

My character was a simple human fighter. Nothing special. Our party consisted of a half-elf druid and a halfling warlock. We were ordered to travel to a contested forest to discuss the well-being of our nations with a family of elves. (The first encounter with the elves ended with a natural 20 against shooting an assassin with a flintlock pistol, but that's another story.) Earlier we visited our leader's mansion, crossing through a garden full of berry bushes, some of which the halfling picked berries from. We had later learned that the berries were dangerously poisonous.

We entered the stables, where there were three horses for rent: two stallions and a black-spotted white pony with a blind eye and rabies. The halfling rode the pony as we went to the forest. Needless to say, the halfling was bucked as we neared the entrance. After being chased up a tree, he swung with his staff, which the GM had kindly allowed to be customized.

The halfling made a copy of The Elder Scrolls' Wobbajack, capable of doing anything it wanted depending on the roll. The halfling rolled a natural 20 to hit the pony, which allowed the GM to do whatever the gently caress he wanted.

Instantly, the entire party thought they were transported to an underground mushroom forest. Our druid watched as his animal familiar, a pseudodragon, grew to fifty times its regular size and flew headlong into a glass castle. My character, the good-minded fighter, began carving a mushroom for shelter and food. The halfling saw a group of spores circling and hugging him. The first to break free of the illusion was the druid, and this is what he saw:

His leg was being carved open by the fighter.
The pseudodragon was unconscious by an oak tree.
The halfling was being attacked by hornets.

This was the first day of the campaign. I came to resent the halfling profusely.

Double May Care fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jun 27, 2012

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Rather Watch Them posted:

This was the first day of the campaign. I came to resent the halfling profusely.
I... I don't think the Halfling is who you should be blaming here.

Halfling: Oh, a garden full of berries. Elves like berries right?
Elf: I have a garden full of poison. Because, you know. gently caress you.

Halfling: What, no third NON screwed up horse for me to use instead? Fine.. Why elves are keeping a rabid horse anyway?
Rabies Horse: Elves are renting out a rabid horse because gently caress you.

Halfling: Well, the GM was nice enough to let me have a quirky item. I am also kind of in a rush while trying to avoid being murdered by a rabid, elf priovided horse *Bonk* Oh cool, I rolled a 20! 20s are always good!
Staff: Hey, hey, guess what!
Halfling: gently caress me? Mr. Does Whatever GM Wants Staff?
Staff: No, gently caress everyone! That'll learn yah to roll well.

TL;DR: When a natural 20 to fend off a Elf provided Rabid horse results in not a joyful success, but the GM putting you through a group halucination that ends up in mutilation of party members, it's probably not the Halfling that is the problem.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jun 27, 2012

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

Byers2142 posted:

Is it that they don't want to contribute, or that they're scared?
There were five of us playing over Skype and I barely learned anyone else's character names.

1. My husband was a thief named 'Shade'
2. Hubby's friend was a dwarven ranger. Used a crossbow and didn't tell anyone anything about his character, not even how to pronounce his name correctly. 'Drekmorne?'
3. Friend's girlfriend played an alchemist tiefling. I think she was playing chaotic stupid and wasn't really into RPGs. 'Lolly'
4. The one player I liked who was basically an alchemist doctor/mad scientist. :science: He quit fairly early in the game.
5. I was playing an elf cavalier (mounted fighter) who was looking for a cure for her cursed sister.

I think 'Lolly' and 'Shade' just threw together characters around burning and stabbing, respectively. The doc and I were trying, but since we weren't told the setting, our characters didn't have any reason to follow the plot and the GM never threw us a hook related to our characters. There was no drama or humor to speak of, just railroading through the module pages.

One session (6 hours!) was nothing but three fights in a cave. Did I mention all combat was indoors so I couldn't use any of my mounted class powers? :suicide:

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Yesterday my players (3.5 Eberron game) started to hunt for a boat so they could sail down to the Mournland to get a poorly-defined macguffin for a possibly crazy professor. So I throw a hastily created NPC on the docks where they go to look, and I give him a full spread. Everything from a skiff to an elemental galleon that he won in a poker game. Of course the players set their sights on the EG and start seriously inquiring about it.

Now, this guy won it but couldn't control it, so he's just using it as a houseboat. He knows it's worth a fortune but he doesn't know how much of a fortune. There's a little back-and-forth, with appraise checks and bluff/sense motive rolls being made. And the players are rolling . Nothing under a 16 before modifiers. My NPC however can't roll a loving double digit with mods. So they have this guy practically crying about how he's barely breaking even and just wants to sell the thing for a solid price and retire to the mountains. They give him an offer of 10,000g and a 10% cut of the treasure they find in the Mournland, which is of course more money than this guy has ever seen in his life so he gladly accepts, assuming they'll help him get his stuff moved out to his cousin's place. They spend the day doing that while the party thrallherd thrallherds them up a small crew.

They are now tossing around the idea of figuring out how to make it an airship as well as a watership and having a mobile base.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

Yawgmoth posted:

They are now tossing around the idea of figuring out how to make it an airship as well as a watership and having a mobile base.

There was also an Earthship/tunneler thingy in one of the splatbooks if I remember correctly. Just keep slapping elementals on until you run out of room or can go anywhere.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

HiKaizer posted:

Woohoo!

My friend and I decided we wanted to play space opera and discovered Traveller! My first attempt at it involved trading which was kind of boring except for the guy that made an excel spreadsheet and mathed everything. This time they won't be doing that.

I'm going to run a Mongoose module which sounds like fun, it's their current incomplete one which is for free if you want to read into it. As it has a lot of sandbox potential I fully expect my players to ruin everything and everyone, so I'm sure I'll have stories to tell you all soon enough!

I've heard that if you are looking for James Bond in space, then Traveller isn't for you. I've also heard that Traveller is about having your characters stand on the bridge of their battered tramp freighter in a faded bathrobe while stirring a cup of instant coffee in a chipped mug while the endless weeks of jumpspace roll by.

The game mechanics for trading are exciting if you like watching numbers add up on a character sheet. They serve a point, but only to create a background and a reason for players moving around a subsector while they get into mischief. It also gives them easy access to a cash flow should they get down on their luck.

But I've always felt that trading is such a small part of the world of Traveller that people are missing the point. And that point is exploring worlds and getting into mischief.

I think the two Mongoose Traveller adventure arcs ("Secrets of the Ancients" and "Pirates of Drinax") are really good sandboxy storylines that give plenty of room for characters to zig and zag while following the framework of the plot.

SotA has a more campaign-breaking endgame that is probably best run after your players are more familiar with the TRaveller universe. From the looks of it, PoD looks to be a really fun adventure, but there's only the two adventures written so far.

I'm excited to hear about your sessions, however they go. I have a warm spot in my heart for this game and wish more people played it...

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

If you like your space-trading game to be drama-filled, just play Apocalypse World in space, and note how there's a 1-to1 correspondence between playbooks and Firefly characters.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Space travel in many fictional universes is fairly slow, except most writers/GMs have the sense to fast-forward through it. In my BattleTech campaign, the entirety of the way the last journey was described was "okay, it takes 115 days to get there and absolutely nothing of note happens along the way."

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."
So today was the skill challenge section of encounters. I got stuck in the room where I had to lie in order to progress by rolling a bluff check in response to a question that a statue of Loth would ask. So on the first try I rolled a 1. On the second try I rolled a 5. Third time the statue asked,"What is my greatest skill in life?" I said sarcastically,"Of course can't you tell. Its my ability to lie." I promptly then roll a 1.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

MadScientistWorking posted:

So today was the skill challenge section of encounters. I got stuck in the room where I had to lie in order to progress by rolling a bluff check in response to a question that a statue of Loth would ask. So on the first try I rolled a 1. On the second try I rolled a 5. Third time the statue asked,"What is my greatest skill in life?" I said sarcastically,"Of course can't you tell. Its my ability to lie." I promptly then roll a 1.

If I was the GM, I'd almost rule that last question as a point in your favor.

Savage Shulkie
May 13, 2009

Ogon’ po gotovnosti!
My friends and I co DM a game of 3.5 dnd. He Does the numbers and the fights and I do the role playing and npc chatter. Funnily this has lead to the players calling us nice dm and mean dm.

We are running a modified red hand of doom, and we were in a fight with a sorceror who dominated our parties druid.

So the other dm decides the druid if gonna just blow all his spells on the party. Everyone survives though, except for the dms character. After that they didn't just call him the mean dm. He was the crazy dm.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Apocalypse World in space sounds loving amazing. I'd play in a game of it in a heartbeat.

i'd play a regular game of it in a heartbeat too, though. i just wanna play AW before i die :smith:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Tollymain posted:

i just wanna play AW before i die

:smith::hf::smith:

Plotac 75
Aug 8, 2007
Mysteries of the ancient lizardman sealed by ancient, mysterious lizard magicks lost in the mysterious realm of ancient lizardmen from ages far, far ago.
Was it Apocalypse World, or Gamma World, or what, where some person had an army of rats named 1942?

E: Found it http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3087556&pagenumber=26&perpage=40#post384493552 This is just brilliant, and is the reason I need Gamma World in my life.

Plotac 75 fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jun 29, 2012

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

I believe Gamma World. And that story was balls-out amazing.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Tiny game of Fiasco today, with the Boomtown setting. 3 people (2 newbies) and it ran roughly an hour.

The relationships were war rivals, ranch hands, and cousins. The object was sentimental (a lady's diary) the need was "To Get Respect, by showing everyone Who's Boss", and the location was the hotel saloon.

It ended up that Sergeant C. McCallister (me) wanted to become mayor. In his way was "Joe Bloody Cheek", a union soldier, and ranch hand at Big Y. What he didn't know was that Joe was actually Anne-Marie, a female soldier who served to protect her sickly brother. Sarge was attracted to Anne-Marie and bought her a few drinks at the saloon.

We ended up having a recurring element of political shouting matches ("I was not a slave ownah!") and disloyalty. Sarge couldn't recruit his cousin Juliet; Anne Marie was constantly drunk, leaving Juliet to hang in the wind, eventually twisting her ankle when she dealt with an untamable horse.

Sarge stole Anne's journal, discovering her secret, and further infuriated Anne.

The tilt had "a stranger come to settle a score" and "the wrong person gets busted."

Anne tried to squeal to Juliet. Juliet agreed to help if Anne mucked out the stables, so Juliet could go to church.
As Anne started to do that, she was approached by a stranger. The man pulled out a gun and accused her of horse theft! (This brought both the tilt elements in at once, very satisfying in six scene Act 2). He agreed to not shoot her on the spot, but escorted her to jail.

Meanwhile, Sarge was at church, about to give a sermon on the evils of the villain Abe Lincoln (and his willing associate, Hannibal Hamlin.) He gave the journal back to Anne-Marie. He had everything he needed to know, ESPECIALLY considering Joe Cheek skipped Church!

Juliet busted Anne out of jail, becoming a fugitive.

Anne, as the non-criminal Joe, shot Sarge in the saloon. He shot her back, leaving a traceable shoulder wound.

During the final election, he revealed Annie/Joe's duplicity. With his opponent arrested, Sarge became mayor.

The aftermath was quick and bloody:
Sarge got a 7, Juliet got a 4, Anne got a 0.

Sarge won the election, and gave a pardon to Anne...as long as she joined his work detail.
Juliet fled town, but her untreated ankle got worse and worse.
Sarge was shot, non-fatally, in a bar by the drunken owner of the untamable horse.
Anne escaped into the sunset, but was put to work in ANOTHER, even crueler work detail.

I think that brings the people I've taught Fiasco to up to 12...should we start a gaming evangelicalism thread?

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Mar 12, 2013

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Golden Bee posted:

should we start a gaming evangelicalism thread?

Every thread should be that thread.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

So hey guys! We're allowed third-party stories right? This happened to my friend.

He played a ranger in another dude's game. This dude (let's call him Dan) was a guy who had a bunch of books about D&D but the problem was that he couldn't...really...dm. All of his adventures kind of blurred from one part to another and two characters basically got everything they asked for. One wanted to be a troll fighter while the other basically got all the loot he ever wanted to get. Oh and the DM's gf was at the table and apparently she didn't have much of a sense of smell or hygiene. My friend eventually ditched Dan's group because "it all kind of blurred together after a while, we just went from fight to fight without any reason. There was nothing described, we never really met anyone and it was all just monsters all the time.".

Sorry, not the most exciting bad story, but that's kind of the point, no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

SSNeoman posted:

So hey guys! We're allowed third-party stories right? This happened to my friend.

He played a ranger in another dude's game. This dude (let's call him Dan) was a guy who had a bunch of books about D&D but the problem was that he couldn't...really...dm. All of his adventures kind of blurred from one part to another and two characters basically got everything they asked for. One wanted to be a troll fighter while the other basically got all the loot he ever wanted to get. Oh and the DM's gf was at the table and apparently she didn't have much of a sense of smell or hygiene. My friend eventually ditched Dan's group because "it all kind of blurred together after a while, we just went from fight to fight without any reason. There was nothing described, we never really met anyone and it was all just monsters all the time.".

Sorry, not the most exciting bad story, but that's kind of the point, no?

That doesn't really sound notable. It's more like a bad series of sessions that your friend walked away from.

Still, there's something to be said for the Monty Haul splat-style of campaign. Sometimes getting everything you want quickly and zooming up in power can be really fun in the short term. But this DM's campaign does sound boring.

I used to run a BattleTech arena "campaign" which consisted of a friend of mine coming over randomly and we'd throw his character into an arena and fight 1-on-1 fights. All it was was a string of fights. Good times.

Also, think about the original D&D modules:
- You meet at an inn
- someone has a problem
- solving the problem involves going somewhere
- slaughter every living thing there as efficiently as possible
- collect reward