Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Ciaphas posted:

So I take it from that then that Vanguards don't do as much shotgunning anymore?

:(

It's entirely up to you, I still carried a shotgun the entire game and never used my sidearm, to the point where I stopped carrying a pistol entirely (this game seemed to have a lot fewer situations like ME2 where you could not reach enemies so charge would not work). Charge and nova are your bread and butter but I liked to mix it up a bit by using my gun and other powers too. I found that 200% cooldown wasn't even particularly necessary, at 150% I didn't notice any real drop off in my effectiveness. By the time the nova animation is over at that cooldown you're ready to charge again anyway so it let me carry the weapon I wanted, Wraith or Raider by the end, and still charge all over the place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

orcane posted:

You have to take all the possible paragon/renegade options in all his conversations, and some of those are hidden behind "left side, dig deeper" convo options (one on Mars is hard to miss like that, IIRC).

It's really a dick move (not the only one, so nbs) of Bioware to do it like that, though.

Not really.

TIM's death is way, way better if you don't do it that way.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Ciaphas posted:

Sure if there's more to Soldier than 'spam Adrenaline Rush; win' in ME3. :v:

Actually there's less.

You are an indestructible God without using Rush at all, even on Insanity.

Which is one of the reasons why I don't understand it when people claim ME3 is mechanically superior to ME1/2.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

sassassin posted:

Actually there's less.

You are an indestructible God without using Rush at all, even on Insanity.

Which is one of the reasons why I don't understand it when people claim ME3 is mechanically superior to ME1/2.

Because of ChargeNova, mostly.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Spamming the same combo over and over to win is lovely gameplay (see also: biotic explosions on 1.nothing second recharge).

You can roll, though!

Not that you need to as 90% of combat sections are shooting galleries against waves of enemies that drop in directly in front of you.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

There's way too much overlap in powers and powerful combos, which is fine for MP's horde mode but it makes singleplayer a total joke. ME3's system of defenses is also really boring and helps facilitate the power overlap, as well as making weapons stale by largely favouring slow, high damage ones.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

UnknownMercenary posted:

There's way too much overlap in powers and powerful combos, which is fine for MP's horde mode but it makes singleplayer a total joke. ME3's system of defenses is also really boring and helps facilitate the power overlap, as well as making weapons stale by largely favouring slow, high damage ones.

On the other hand, most of the powers in ME2 were pretty useless because they had little to no effect to targets that still had a layer of protection up, and at the point where you'd stripped all of their defenses (with the same 3 powers that are the exception to that rule) you'd be better of just finishing them off with a single shot or two, rather than using Throw / Lift / Singularity / Concussive Shot / etc.

E: On Insanity anyway. Doesn't apply to lower difficulties where enemies have less defenses obviously.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I hear that the extended cut DLC will be altering it so you don't need to play multiplayer to get the best endings. Is this true? If so has it been announced what you need to do to get them, or is it just lower score values for them all?

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

RBA Starblade posted:

I hear that the extended cut DLC will be altering it so you don't need to play multiplayer to get the best endings. Is this true? If so has it been announced what you need to do to get them, or is it just lower score values for them all?

I think all they've said is that they're adjusting the EMS system in a way that doesn't require you to do multiplayer to get a score high enough for the best possible ending (a really stupid phrase in the context of ME3 anyway, but I digress), but they didn't specify how exactly it would work.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Burning Mustache posted:

On the other hand, most of the powers in ME2 were pretty useless because they had little to no effect to targets that still had a layer of protection up, and at the point where you'd stripped all of their defenses (with the same 3 powers that are the exception to that rule) you'd be better of just finishing them off with a single shot or two, rather than using Throw / Lift / Singularity / Concussive Shot / etc.

E: On Insanity anyway. Doesn't apply to lower difficulties where enemies have less defenses obviously.

Certain powers should be ineffective under certain circumstances. What's the point of having a selection of abilities otherwise? You were given plenty of party members to choose from.

And biotics weren't as weak as they looked. Being able to throw over and around cover was great (before you could just make every gun penetrate a couple of meters of rock, anyway), shockwave was a great armour stripper (just because a power was marked in red didn't mean it was useless as I first thought).

Vastly prefer the system to ME3's 'oh well obviously I should pick Liara' every mission.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

FYI, the 'best' ending that you get from playing multi-player is just a five second FMV that adds nothing to the plot.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Veotax posted:

FYI, the 'best' ending that you get from playing multi-player is just a five second FMV that adds nothing to the plot.

Or maybe this time it does! v:v:v

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Veotax posted:

I know, but I'm wondering if maybe we won't get something of actual value this time (we won't).

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

sassassin posted:

Certain powers should be ineffective under certain circumstances. What's the point of having a selection of abilities otherwise? You were given plenty of party members to choose from.

And biotics weren't as weak as they looked. Being able to throw over and around cover was great (before you could just make every gun penetrate a couple of meters of rock, anyway), shockwave was a great armour stripper (just because a power was marked in red didn't mean it was useless as I first thought).

Vastly prefer the system to ME3's 'oh well obviously I should pick Liara' every mission.
I find the combat in ME3 SP generally enjoyable, but I do agree that playing an Adept this time round isn't as rewarding as it was previously. It's easy to get a 200% cooldown bonus, at which point there's little reason not to constantly (ab)use the Pull + Throw combo, pausing only to let a teammate use shields-/armour-/barrier-stripping powers on tougher enemies (while occasionally throwing out a Warp or Reave yourself). I find myself hardly ever using weapons, and repeating the same few key presses over and over gets a bit boring; even in ME1, when biotics were all-powerful, you'd still be shooting a lot, and in ME2 a good gun was quintessential for stripping defences. Moreover, as an Adept I made much more frequent use of my squadmates' powers in ME2 than I do in ME3.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

RBA Starblade posted:

Did you even need really multiplayer to begin with? I only played like one or two matches back during my first runthrough and had 5000+ easy.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Luminous Obscurity posted:

Did you even need really multiplayer to begin with? I only played like one or two matches back during my first runthrough and had 5000+ easy.
You could not get the best ending without multiplayer, there were not enough War Assets in the game to give you the needed 4000 Effective Military Strength. You would need 8000 Total Military Strength at 50% Readiness. There was a max of something like 7515 TMS. A couple multiplayer games would probably be enough to get you over that threshold.

Make sure you're not confusing Total Military Strength with Effective Military Strength (EMS = TMS * Galactic Readiness, this is the one that determines the "best" ending).

Edit: Certain unofficial patches/trainers/etc for the PC version changed the value of the War Assets, so it was possible on PC without multiplayer if you downloaded these things.

Crows Turn Off fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jun 25, 2012

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
ftr I'm going to say ME2 was significantly easier than 3 on all difficulties, because sitting back and playing Whack-A-Mole pretty much always worked, no matter what the situation was. This is much less viable in ME3, I *think* ammo counts are lower (or maybe I'm just using low-ammo weapons), and the game actually has methods of drawing you out of cover sometimes (even if it's implicit, like the improvement in control while sprinting)

neither are particularly challenging, but ME3 was just much more interesting to play than ME2's sit-back-and-whack-a-mole gameplay.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Yeah, grenades and the prevalence of melee enemies make hiding in cover harder to do.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

sassassin posted:

Not really.

TIM's death is way, way better if you don't do it that way.

Out of curiosity, what happens in this case? I know the Paragon persuade gets him to commit suicide and the Renegade interrupt has Shepard shoot him, but what's the other option?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Gordon Shumway posted:

Out of curiosity, what happens in this case? I know the Paragon persuade gets him to commit suicide and the Renegade interrupt has Shepard shoot him, but what's the other option?

Those are the two options.

Other than dying

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Fag Boy Jim posted:

ftr I'm going to say ME2 was significantly easier than 3 on all difficulties, because sitting back and playing Whack-A-Mole pretty much always worked, no matter what the situation was. This is much less viable in ME3, I *think* ammo counts are lower (or maybe I'm just using low-ammo weapons), and the game actually has methods of drawing you out of cover sometimes (even if it's implicit, like the improvement in control while sprinting)

neither are particularly challenging, but ME3 was just much more interesting to play than ME2's sit-back-and-whack-a-mole gameplay.

Are you kidding? ME3 is just as bad for that. Half the time it even throws the illusion out the window and plonks you behind some cover and has enemies fall from the sky into range.

Sometimes it even gives you a turret too ffs (Palavan is literally walk from Base to Shooting Gallery A to Base to Shooting Gallery B etc.)

All grenades do is make you occasionally roll from one wall to another. The whole game may have more husks but less angry Krogan and biotics work on everything so you have to be blind to be in any danger.

Ammo is in no way scarce, either. At least ME2 made you mix up your attacks against different enemy types.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

sassassin posted:

Are you kidding? ME3 is just as bad for that. Half the time it even throws the illusion out the window and plonks you behind some cover and has enemies fall from the sky into range.

Sometimes it even gives you a turret too ffs (Palavan is literally walk from Base to Shooting Gallery A to Base to Shooting Gallery B etc.)

All grenades do is make you occasionally roll from one wall to another. The whole game may have more husks but less angry Krogan and biotics work on everything so you have to be blind to be in any danger.

Ammo is in no way scarce, either. At least ME2 made you mix up your attacks against different enemy types.

The difference is that ME3 gives you the tools to get out of cover and in the thick of things if you want to with stuff like Charge+Nova, melee/shotgun Infiltrators, Vorcha/Krogan melee builds in MP, etc.

Sure, the game can be really boring and easy if you sit behind cover and plink away at dudes, but you can just as easily not do that and actually have fun with it.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jun 25, 2012

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Well this is just great. I dust off my old unfinished New Game+ run to get ready for the inevitable hypnotic trainwreck that will be the EC DLC, and I run smack into yet another loving bug.

It seems that after hitting level 60, I no longer get credits from turning in sidequests. At all. Ever. I restart the "mission" (docking at the citadel), nothing. I reload the autosave, nothing. I exit out to the Dashboard and restart the entire drat game, nothing.

Now I'll never get that Paladin X :qq:

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Just started playing yesterday in anticipation of the new DLC. I never played the game when it first came out since the face import bug (~~~ my immersion ~~~) so I was surprised to see my dude's face import OK yesterday.

Although it isn't perfect - was there ever any fan tool or way of getting an imported maleshep to look closer to the ME2 one? Preferably with facial scars, since those are cool.

Unless you get the scars back somehow.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

You can get the scars back by picking Renegade dialogue options. You keep the scars if you do NG+

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I was playing an Adept yesterday in multi, and getting warp explosions to happen seemed finicky at best, nearly impossible at worst, and didn't seem to ever hit much even in a crowd. Is that a factor of being online, or are they pretty much that way in the single player, too?

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Sometimes biotic explosions don't happen because of other peoples powers hitting the enemy you're trying to explode. Just hit it with the same power again and it should trigger. E.g. this happes a lot in silver and gold where an overload gets applied to a warped enemy before a throw or pull can detonate it. Just hit it with the trigger power again (you may have to do it more than twice in my experience.)

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Ciaphas posted:

I was playing an Adept yesterday in multi, and getting warp explosions to happen seemed finicky at best, nearly impossible at worst, and didn't seem to ever hit much even in a crowd. Is that a factor of being online, or are they pretty much that way in the single player, too?

Last time I played biotic explosions were the single most ridiculously powerful thing in the game, so I'm betting your character just wasn't specced well for them/you didn't have another caster to synergize with.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Luminous Obscurity posted:

getting back the revenant is a magical loving moment

seriously the entire tone of the game changed as soon as I got that loving gun

Thanks now I have the most hilarious image in my head of Commander Toph Shepard running around firing the Revenant like a lunatic laughing maniacally while your terrified squadmates hit the loving deck.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

Which Adept and powers? Biotic explosions are awesome and should be really easy to do. You need a power that sets up the explosion (like Warp) and one that sets it off (like Throw). Your character needs to be specc'd for the explosions and actually be a good character. For example, the Human Adept is terrible, but the Human Sentinel is awesome.

Other players can take your explosion if you set it up, so they might just be causing the explosion instead.

Crows Turn Off fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jun 25, 2012

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Maybe that's part of the problem then, I was playing Human Adept on the basis that I wanted to get a look at the classes before I picked one for single player (which seems to be proving to be a bad plan). vOv

(I know this belongs more in the multi thread, but since we're here, what makes the human adept bad, exactly?)

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

Maybe that's part of the problem then, I was playing Human Adept on the basis that I wanted to get a look at the classes before I picked one for single player (which seems to be proving to be a bad plan). vOv

(I know this belongs more in the multi thread, but since we're here, what makes the human adept bad, exactly?)
You can find characters that have good powers for this sort of thing. Here's a list of all of the Power Combos. (There are also Tech Bursts, Cryo Explosions, and Flame Explosions.)
http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Power_Combos

In single-player, the Adept is fine as they have more powers to use. In multiplayer, the Human Adept is bad. It's not a good comparison.

Crows Turn Off fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jun 25, 2012

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Ciaphas posted:

Classes play very differently in SP v MP. Your best bet is to just roll with what you're comfortable with. Playstyles can be mixed up once you unlock bonus powers, so it's not too much sweat.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Enemies also dodge projectile powers far more often in multiplayer (a stealth buff to keep up with power creep from DLC). Human Adept suffers from this the most because its main powers are projectiles with 2+ second recharge times.

Singleplayer plays very differently. Playing a biotic with Liara in your squad makes the game really easy, and combat classes aren't as tough to play as in MP because they have constant access to more potent versions of ammo powers and upgrading guns is simple.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Ciaphas posted:

Singularity isn't terribly useful in multiplayer because you'll be fighting a lot more enemies with shields or armor than your typical single player fight, at least on the higher MP difficulties. Shockwave gets a lot of hate too but I've always kind of liked it. The other adepts are just easier to use in terms of setting up effective combos and dealing a lot of fast damage, I think performing well with the human adept is a nice challenge though.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

AltronHGX posted:

Thanks now I have the most hilarious image in my head of Commander Toph Shepard running around firing the Revenant like a lunatic laughing maniacally while your terrified squadmates hit the loving deck.

that's p much exactly what happened tbh

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
If anyone needs extra motivation to get excited for tomorrow's Extended Ending DLC, Gibbed has some interesting spoilers over in the other thread. It's definitely sounding better than what I've been imagining, if the spoilers are true. I'm hanging on hope and a string that it's going to be good.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

I play a human sentinel a lot on multiplayer and I have noticed that lag causes a lot of problems for biotics. Warps and throws will appear to hit, but fail to cause damage or they will pass right through enemies. I've had games that were downright unplayable because of this. Was this happening consistently in multiple games hosted by different players, or did it only happen in one game?

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

DrNutt posted:

If anyone needs extra motivation to get excited for tomorrow's Extended Ending DLC, Gibbed has some interesting spoilers over in the other thread. It's definitely sounding better than what I've been imagining, if the spoilers are true. I'm hanging on hope and a string that it's going to be good.

Could you please provide specifics, either in spoiler tags or by PM? I tried to wade through the last few days of that thread but I can't deal with those entitled infants anymore. I hated the ending too but JESUS they're insufferable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

epenthesis posted:

Could you please provide specifics, either in spoiler tags or by PM? I tried to wade through the last few days of that thread but I can't deal with those entitled infants anymore. I hated the ending too but JESUS they're insufferable.

Here's the post in question.

I'm not sure whether to believe it or not myself but it'd be pretty drat cool if it turned out to be real.

• Locked thread