Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Undrhil
Dec 24, 2010

scpredmage posted:

Being able to be used by totem-wielding classes as implements doesn't make them totems; so yeah, it's supposed to be this way.

Which means that those items cannot get expertise with primal implement powers, since there is no over-arching expertise feat for primal powers, like there are for Arcane powers. I guess primal characters can always take the Elemental Initiate theme and Ki Focus expertise....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Versatile Expertise works perfectly for them, and scales properly these days too.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE
So I hate to dredge this up so randomly, but I'm having a problem and I'm not sure if this is the norm or just me being "lucky".

I created and level a level 7 Druid. Somehow, however, he's got an additional 36 pounds on him. No armor, no weapon, no items except rituals (which weigh nothing, as they are in the ritual books weight), and I am at 105 with most of my gear.

Has anyone experienced a problem like this? My Hexblade is fine (clear inventory = 0lbs), same with my Wizard (who also has rituals AND alchemy), so it seems to be JUST the druid.

In fact, making a new druid and clearing his inventory out, he has 3 pounds, which makes it even MORE confusing!

Anyone got any ideas, or should I just leave a note when I post his signup to "subtract 36 from his weight" and not worry about it?

It's not hurting anything, really, just annoying.

EDIT: Remaking him fixed it.
I have no idea :psyduck:

EDIT2: Won't take out my shame because holy poo poo I feel stupid.
:negative: I...I forgot that I had 1800 gold.

Classtoise fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jul 7, 2012

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Classtoise posted:

So I hate to dredge this up so randomly, but I'm having a problem and I'm not sure if this is the norm or just me being "lucky".

I created and level a level 7 Druid. Somehow, however, he's got an additional 36 pounds on him. No armor, no weapon, no items except rituals (which weigh nothing, as they are in the ritual books weight), and I am at 105 with most of my gear.

Has anyone experienced a problem like this? My Hexblade is fine (clear inventory = 0lbs), same with my Wizard (who also has rituals AND alchemy), so it seems to be JUST the druid.

In fact, making a new druid and clearing his inventory out, he has 3 pounds, which makes it even MORE confusing!

Anyone got any ideas, or should I just leave a note when I post his signup to "subtract 36 from his weight" and not worry about it?

It's not hurting anything, really, just annoying.

EDIT: Remaking him fixed it.
I have no idea :psyduck:

EDIT2: Won't take out my shame because holy poo poo I feel stupid.
:negative: I...I forgot that I had 1800 gold.

I was going to suggest looking at your gold. When statting out level 30 characters adding the 14625000 gold really weighs them down.

Foxworthy
Apr 5, 2011
So does anyone by chance know how to reinstall the builder to a new computer after a crash? I had all the files backed up I just don't know how to get them to work since the builder can't be updated.

scpredmage
Sep 2, 2011

Foxworthy posted:

So does anyone by chance know how to reinstall the builder to a new computer after a crash? I had all the files backed up I just don't know how to get them to work since the builder can't be updated.
Well now, that depends; did you have a key file?

The LCB rules document was encrypted, and the decryption key was stored in the registry, meaning simply copying the files wouldn't be enough. If you knew where in the registry the key was stored, you could've backed up those registry keys; otherwise, you could've use CBLoader to create a rules file.

If you didn't do either of those, then you don't have what you need to get it working again.

SabreCat
Dec 12, 2010

d4 damage with the ill behavior
Weird thing: when I use the Shadow Master fix from upthread, the feat doesn't show up on the character sheet. It shows up in the list on the Feats tab of the builder, and does its job, but on the character sheet there's a blank line where the name and short description ought to be.

scpredmage
Sep 2, 2011

SabreCat posted:

Weird thing: when I use the Shadow Master fix from upthread, the feat doesn't show up on the character sheet. It shows up in the list on the Feats tab of the builder, and does its job, but on the character sheet there's a blank line where the name and short description ought to be.
Seems to have the proper description on the character sheet for me ("Trade one use of poison for one assassin daily power"). You CAN manually edit the text for your feats (right-click the feats section, choose "Edit Notes"), so you could always do that.

Have you tried this with a new character, or just your existing character file?

Foxworthy
Apr 5, 2011

scpredmage posted:

Well now, that depends; did you have a key file?

The LCB rules document was encrypted, and the decryption key was stored in the registry, meaning simply copying the files wouldn't be enough. If you knew where in the registry the key was stored, you could've backed up those registry keys; otherwise, you could've use CBLoader to create a rules file.

If you didn't do either of those, then you don't have what you need to get it working again.

I had forgot about the registry, especially since the adventure tools worked with no problem. Thanks a lot though, the help fixed me up.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."
So, this thread seems to be lacking a ton of the information that was in the first thread. How do I get all the WoTC content released after they switched to the online-only character builder onto the offline character builder?

Greyhawk Fan
Dec 14, 2010

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

So, this thread seems to be lacking a ton of the information that was in the first thread. How do I get all the WoTC content released after they switched to the online-only character builder onto the offline character builder?
In order to read the first thread you must pay for the archive upgrade. CBLoader is what you need primarily. You must also have an up to date Character Builder installed. Read up on index files.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."

Greyhawk Fan posted:

In order to read the first thread you must pay for the archive upgrade. CBLoader is what you need primarily. You must also have an up to date Character Builder installed. Read up on index files.

Thanks. I actually have archives and have my up to date character builder. I was just wondering why so much seemed to be missing from this OP. Is there more of a copyright issue now?

SabreCat
Dec 12, 2010

scpredmage posted:

Have you tried this with a new character, or just your existing character file?
Tried it with a new character. It comes out " - Trade one use of poison for one assassin daily power", no feat name.

...Ah, I see what's happening. The fix code had the wrong ID for the feat, so it's getting doubled up. What a strange behavior for that error!

scpredmage
Sep 2, 2011

SabreCat posted:

Tried it with a new character. It comes out " - Trade one use of poison for one assassin daily power", no feat name.

...Ah, I see what's happening. The fix code had the wrong ID for the feat, so it's getting doubled up. What a strange behavior for that error!
Err...

Yeah, I copied the feat directly from the existing documents, so it had the id we were using for it at the time. Apparently I copied it before the OCB updated to include it, giving us an official id to use.

Undrhil
Dec 24, 2010
When I make a hybrid Bard|anything and take the Skald Training feat, it puts in the Retraining tab to let me pick a power to replace Majestic Word but does not list Majestic Word as an option for replacement. I think it might be because the version of Majestic Word I have as a hybrid Bard is not the same as the version a full Bard would have. If that's the case, what would be the easiest fix?

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Undrhil posted:

When I make a hybrid Bard|anything and take the Skald Training feat, it puts in the Retraining tab to let me pick a power to replace Majestic Word but does not list Majestic Word as an option for replacement. I think it might be because the version of Majestic Word I have as a hybrid Bard is not the same as the version a full Bard would have. If that's the case, what would be the easiest fix?

Probably to expand skald training to include the hybrid majestic word (if they are different id's)

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

I have a player who is very unhappy with her PC in my current campaign (Paladin|Warlock) and would like to switch to Blackguard|Warlock to deal more damage. The Hybrid Blackguard is playtest material, but I'm fine with letting her use it if it mitigates her DPR envy.

One issue: she uses the official WotC builder and says it allows her to choose any Paladin encounter powers; everyone else uses the CBLoader, in which the Hybrid Blackguard's only choice is Dread Smite. Which is correct?

I can't help but feel that being able to pick all Paladin encounter powers as a Hybrid Blackguard is a bit over the top in terms of being better than the original class, but I try not to make (many) rulings based on gut checks.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
I'm running into a couple problems.

One, the Feat text is stretching beyond the borders of my PDF character sheets.

Two, I've noticed that in some cases, powers that use implements will ignore the item in the implement slot and use a weapon, even if the implement has a higher bonus.

scpredmage
Sep 2, 2011

Xalidur posted:

I have a player who is very unhappy with her PC in my current campaign (Paladin|Warlock) and would like to switch to Blackguard|Warlock to deal more damage. The Hybrid Blackguard is playtest material, but I'm fine with letting her use it if it mitigates her DPR envy.

One issue: she uses the official WotC builder and says it allows her to choose any Paladin encounter powers; everyone else uses the CBLoader, in which the Hybrid Blackguard's only choice is Dread Smite. Which is correct?

I can't help but feel that being able to pick all Paladin encounter powers as a Hybrid Blackguard is a bit over the top in terms of being better than the original class, but I try not to make (many) rulings based on gut checks.
The playtest document itself does not explicitly place any restrictions on hybrid Blackguards choosing Paladin encounter powers. Instead, it has a feature that states that you can select Dread Smite "whenever you have the opportunity to gain or replace a class encounter attack power that has a level". This feature is required because Dread Smite doesn't HAVE a level, so you couldn't select it otherwise.

That being said, I believe the reason that the LCB restricts hybrid Blackguards to Dread Smite only is that, at the time, we believed that to be the intention; after all, normal Blackguards don't get to select Paladin encounter attack powers. But since the playtest document doesn't explicitly say anything about NOT being able to, then strictly by RAW (rules as written), it's legal. Add in the fact that the OCB allows you to do it (and considering that Dread Smite having no level meant that they had to specifically address this issue), then there's a good indication that it's RAI (rules as intended).

TL;DR version: the online CB is technically correct, and probably the way WotC intended it.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib
Speaking of Offline vs Online CB behavior, do Mages get to pick from the entire list of Wizard spells, or only the material listed in the HotFL class description? The Offline CB allows picking from any Wizard at-will/encounter/daily, but the online CB restricts choices to 2 of 6 at-wills, 2 of 3 encounters, and 2 of 3 dailies, which makes it pretty hard to build a tightly focused, say, lightning-blaster Mage.

scpredmage
Sep 2, 2011

Chaltab posted:

I'm running into a couple problems.

One, the Feat text is stretching beyond the borders of my PDF character sheets.

Two, I've noticed that in some cases, powers that use implements will ignore the item in the implement slot and use a weapon, even if the implement has a higher bonus.
One: If you're referring to your feats all being on one line (per feat), with whatever text that can fit in the column running off up to the margin of the column, that's not exactly something we can fix.

Whenever your feats (or class features, or racial traits) take up more vertical space than can fit in their section, the LCB will resort to doing this so that it can at least list everything that you have. If you unlock the panels, and resize the section to provide enough room, it should re-expand the feats to the multi-line version.

If that's NOT what you're referring to, then that sounds like a weird printing bug (either in the LCB or your PDF printing driver), which is well beyond our ability to address. We don't have access to the source code of LCB itself; we only have access to the rules document it uses.

Two: That's another issue we can't do anything about. It should only show the weapon on an implement power if you can use that weapon as an implement, but other than that, the only thing that can be done is to go to the character sheet, right click on the power card, and select "Customize". That will allow you to select which weapons/implements to show on the card.

scpredmage
Sep 2, 2011

Gomi posted:

Speaking of Offline vs Online CB behavior, do Mages get to pick from the entire list of Wizard spells, or only the material listed in the HotFL class description? The Offline CB allows picking from any Wizard at-will/encounter/daily, but the online CB restricts choices to 2 of 6 at-wills, 2 of 3 encounters, and 2 of 3 dailies, which makes it pretty hard to build a tightly focused, say, lightning-blaster Mage.
As Wizards, Mages can select any Wizard power, as noted in the "Other Sources" section on page 57 of both Heroes of the Fallen Lands and Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdoms.

The OCB WILL allow Mages to select other powers, but won't display them by default; when selecting a power, click the "Show Additional Options" check box. This holds true for other Essentials classes, as well.

scpredmage
Sep 2, 2011

Undrhil posted:

Odd; when I build a hybrid Bard and take Skald Training, it automatically selects the Majestic Word -> Skald's Aura retraining...

EDIT:

Drewjitsu posted:

Probably to expand skald training to include the hybrid majestic word (if they are different id's)
The LCB doesn't have a "hybrid" version of the Majestic Word power; it grants the normal version, and removes the "special" line that states you can use it multiple times.

scpredmage fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jul 17, 2012

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

scpredmage posted:

Two: That's another issue we can't do anything about.
Fiddling with it more, the problem isn't the enhancement bonus but the proficiency. The program isn't factoring in implement proficiencies. This is with the homebrew Avatar 4E Hybrid Waterbender.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Undrhil posted:

As far as I know, it's slightly bugged and you have to deselect your other Hybrid class. Once you do that, Majestic Word is swapped out correctly, and then you can reselect your other class and everything should be working fine.

Gomi posted:

Are you building it as an Encounters character? You're limited in source materials if you do that, which is why you're not seeing any of the other stuff.

SabreCat
Dec 12, 2010

scpredmage posted:

Yeah, I copied the feat directly from the existing documents, so it had the id we were using for it at the time. Apparently I copied it before the OCB updated to include it, giving us an official id to use.
Is there a reason not to get this into the "official" update files?

scpredmage
Sep 2, 2011

SabreCat posted:

Is there a reason not to get this into the "official" update files?
To my knowledge... no. But I don't control that, so...

Here's an updated copy of the fix, using the official id.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/49758175/smasterfix.zip

Undrhil
Dec 24, 2010
When I use the online CB to make a hybrid Cavalier, it allows me to select my Paladin at-will. It doesn't force me into using the at-will associated with the Virtue I chose. Based on the wording of the Virtue (hybrid) I think this is the correct power selection method. The LCB automatically gives you the at-will associated with the virtue you picked.

I think the OCB is correctly RAI and RAW. Can anyone fix this (or show me why this would not be correct)?

scpredmage
Sep 2, 2011

Undrhil posted:

When I use the online CB to make a hybrid Cavalier, it allows me to select my Paladin at-will. It doesn't force me into using the at-will associated with the Virtue I chose. Based on the wording of the Virtue (hybrid) I think this is the correct power selection method. The LCB automatically gives you the at-will associated with the virtue you picked.

I think the OCB is correctly RAI and RAW. Can anyone fix this (or show me why this would not be correct)?
The playtest article from Dragon 400 says this about your Spirit of Virtue:

quote:

Spirit of Virtue: You choose a virtue and gain the benefit of the Spirit of Virtue class feature associated with your virtue.
Meaning that if you choose Virtue of Valor, you'd get the Spirit of Valor class feature, but not anything else associated with the Virtue of Valor, such as the at-will or Improved Righteous Shield.

The hybrid Cavalier makes no mention of at-will attacks, meaning you should be able to select at-wills as any other hybrid can. Since the Virtue at-wills and Valiant Strike all have a level, there's no reason you can't select them.

What's more is that Cavalier's have the same that issue hybrid Blackguards do: they're allowed to take Holy Smite (an encounter power with no level) whenever they can select a class encounter power. The playtest doc doesn't say they HAVE to take it as their Paladin power, and the OCB allows you to take other Paladin encounter powers. And like I said about the Blackguard in a previous post, neither Dread Smite nor Holy Smite have a level, so WotC had to address this so they'd be selectable in the OCB, so you can't really blame it on an oversight.

TL;DR version: hybrid Cavalier at-wills need to be decoupled from the virtue, and the hybrid Cavalier and Blackguards should be able to select normal Paladin encounter powers.

Undrhil
Dec 24, 2010
I am not affiliated with this company, but I just wanted to post that GameTableOnline took over the Virtual Table when WotC cancelled it. You can access it with just a gametableonline.com account (which is free*) at rpgtableonline.com. It's the same table with few minor changes. If you were in the WotC VT beta, then you are already familiar with it.

The wonderful part of it (and the reason I posted this here) is that it imports Character Builder files (.dnd4e) and so far, all of the characters I have imported from using the LCB have loaded just fine. I was surprised, since I was sure it was coded to work with the code from the online builder, but I guess the parts of the character file it reads are agnostic to the version of the character builder you are using.

Also, I want to get the Gloves of Giantkind to actually give my character a power when I equip them (so the builder will auto-calculate attack and damage.) I know it isn't much, but I just find it easier when I have one number instead of having to figure out STR + 2 + 1/2 level, etc.

*The GameTableOnline.com account is free, but some features of the website require "GTO Coins" which you have to buy with real money. If you want new tiles in the RPGTableOnline, you have to use GTO coins. The table comes with the original tiles WotC had in the beta, so there is no need to buy GTO coins, unless you want to support GameTableOnline.

Kitsap Charles
Dec 29, 2010
The Staff of the Magi (+3 through +6) implements in 04-new-items.part are missing the property which adds the Staff's enhancement bonus as an item bonus to Arcana checks. Each version needs something like this:

code:
<rules>
   <statadd name="Arcana Misc" value="+x" type="item" />
</rules>
where the "+x" is "+3" through "+6" respectively.

Thank you.

Attention Deficit
Nov 25, 2006
fine til you came along..
Hi all,

Would just like to check I'm not doing anything crazy.

I make a Fighter in Character Builder, using CBLoader, with Dex 10 and Scale Mail. He has AC 17. Great, as expected.

I up his Dex to 12, his AC goes to 18. Unless something has changed, my understanding is that he shouldn't get Dex/Int bonus when wearing Heavy Armor.

Searching around, the only other mention of this bug I can find is at the CB Loader Helpdesk with

quote:

Problem: Ever since using CBLoader, removing the Dex or Int bonus to heavy armor has not worked. For example, if I create a lvl 1 Warlord (Battlefront Leader) with Scale armor and 16 Int, his AC is 20 when it should be 17. Also creating a Runepriest with Scale armor and 12 Dex yields 18 AC when it should be 17. It seems creating a character in the old CB and loading it into CBLoader retains the correct AC.

which fits my experience.

Any thoughts? I couldn't see this on the Bug List but can happily add.

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

"This god whom I created was human-made and madness, like all gods! Woman she was, and only a poor specimen of woman and ego. But I overcame myself, the sufferer; I carried my own ashes to the mountains; I invented a brighter flame for myself. And behold, then this god fled from me!"
Hey,

I'm running into an issue with Battle Cleric's Lore. It's actually been this way for months for me, but I only got an account here recently. Basically, it's not showing up, at all. Nothing to select it, no mention in the Cleric writeup bar on the right side. The Hybrid Battle Cleric's Lore is still present and useable, however.

I tried deleting that .part and redownloading it, however, it didn't work. I also checked with a few of my friends using the Loader and they report the same issue.

I'm not sure on how I should bring up issues like this, would it be better to just edit that bug list?

Oh, and while I'm noting things, the Desert Wind Monk Tradition isn't showing up in the Monk writeup bar on the right. It's still selectable fine, so it's not that big of a deal, though I thought I'd mention it regardless.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Gauntlet Axes are behaving weirdly for me.

The only way I can equip one is if I have a mainhand weapon equipped already - two empty hands only lets me equip one in the mainhand, and a twohanded weapon doesn't let me equip one at all.

Greyhawk Fan
Dec 14, 2010

Lord Justice posted:

Hey,

I'm running into an issue with Battle Cleric's Lore. It's actually been this way for months for me, but I only got an account here recently. Basically, it's not showing up, at all. Nothing to select it, no mention in the Cleric writeup bar on the right side. The Hybrid Battle Cleric's Lore is still present and useable, however.
I just created a new character to test this and Battle Cleric's Lore shows up just fine. I was able to select it and it worked without issue. I also loaded up a level 30 cleric from 2009 and was able to select Battle Cleric's Lore as well.

You may have some kind of file conflict. Also, if you are using any house rules part files it may be overwriting the code that enables Battle Cleric's Lore (it could be older than the option and it didn't exist then).

You should also clean up your CBLoader temporary files.
Under your start menu, programs/all programs, accessories, find the Command Prompt shortcut and right click on it and select Run as Administrator.
Then in the command prompt enter:
code:
del "%AppData%"\CBloader /s /q
and hit enter.

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

"This god whom I created was human-made and madness, like all gods! Woman she was, and only a poor specimen of woman and ego. But I overcame myself, the sufferer; I carried my own ashes to the mountains; I invented a brighter flame for myself. And behold, then this god fled from me!"
Well, now I feel a little silly. Turns out the UA Strange Gods .part was conflicting with it. Thanks for the help, I'll inform my group.

Dekar
Feb 17, 2011

I have noticed the Executioner hybrid is giving out 5 starting HP instead of the 6 listed. Easy fix, just thought I'd throw it out there.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I seem to have lost my wotc.index file in a PC move and can't seem to find a recent copy anywhere. Can anyone help me?

\/You are a gentleman and a scholar \/

Splicer fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Aug 11, 2012

Greyhawk Fan
Dec 14, 2010

Splicer posted:

Can anyone help me?
Here.

EDIT
PS: The alternate rules index is Here.

I have updated Strange Gods to be compatible with Battle Cleric options.

Greyhawk Fan fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Aug 12, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Undrhil
Dec 24, 2010
When I make a Revenent and choose Mul as my Past Life and then take the Past Soul feat, I do not gain the Mul's racial encounter power.

Correction: Past Soul doesn't appear to be giving any of the racial powers associated with any of the races available.

• Locked thread