Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm going to regret asking I'm sure, but what the gently caress is Dragon Con?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Who would have thought the "biggest" sf/fantasy convention would be in Georgia of all places.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

^ Life and it's little ironies.

Contra Calculus posted:

A sweaty gathering of nerds, much like Comic Con, but with more of a focus on fantasy books.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
Okay, I thought it was going to be a furry convention like for that Bad Dragon site you guys showed me earlier.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Hey, you know what's a loving awful set of fantasy books that you should not at all purchase but just maybe borrow from the library or something if you hate reading? The Night Angel Trilogy, by Brent Weeks. It loving sucks. It absolutely reeks of stream-of-consciousness that was not edited properly into something decent, and all three parts were published within the same quarter which is my personal red flag for "complete garbage."

Admittedly, I stopped after the first book. It wasn't enjoyable at all, and given the aforementioned "released within the same quarter" thing, I have absolute faith the second and third novels are just as poo poo.

He's also a smarmy douche. Not pictured: fedora and tumbler of gin.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

^ Customers who bought that on Amazon also bought books 1-4 of ASOIAF. Big surprise there.

Contra Calculus posted:

Okay, I thought it was going to be a furry convention like for that Bad Dragon site you guys showed me earlier.
Nah, that'd be Anthrocon, the most wretched hive of scum and villainy this side of BronyCon.

Why do these things exist? Why do I know these things exist?

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
I don't know man, ASOIAF-con would be pretty loving scary if it existed. I'd just be bored at a place where a bunch of weirdos in animal suits walk around doing... Whatever the hell they do.

That being said, I went to some anime convention with a friend once. I never knew so many people liked dressing up as Carmen San Diego.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Dragon Con is literally the saddest thing.

Imagine 500 storm troopers carrying swag bags full of action figures, MINT IN BOX, all trying to get their picture taken with a 98% nude Poison Ivy.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
Shittiest places I've ever been:

Camden, New Jersey
Delta, Utah
Phoenix, Arizona
Weird-rear end anime convention
Local band concert at a run-down theater
My bed, my apartment, reading last Dany chapter of ADWD

Those are the worst places. I don't ever want to go to another convention again. Like ever.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Also, lots of hotels get booked solid during these things as nerds try to bring con girls back to their goon nests.

It just ends up being entire floors of hotel rooms being filled with shambling drunk weirdos.

Too much sad.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
Tony, since you live in Georgia, you need to dress up in a GRRM suit, go to Dragon con and scare off all the 98% naked Poison Ivies. That way, all the nerds wont read this series any more because the author has taken away their purpose for existence and it will force George to go back to editing Wild Cards and let erotic Winnie the Pooh My Little Pony Lord of the Rings Harry Potter fanfic writers finish the series.

Contra Calculus fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jun 25, 2012

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I'd go to Dragon Con in a GRRM suit if GRRM was there.

Then I would pod people him and I would finish the series as it should end.

A musical number about King Rickon the Dragonslayer.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

I'd go to Dragon Con in a GRRM suit if GRRM was there.

Then I would pod people him and I would finish the series as it should end.

A musical number about King Rickon the Dragonslayer.
You could call it something like Groatloose or Westeros Side Story.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I've heard Dragoncon is actually pretty fun if you're not a broken person. So like obviously I couldn't go, but maybe like one of you guys is relatively normal.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

IRQ posted:

I've heard Dragoncon is actually pretty fun if you're not a broken person. So like obviously I couldn't go, but maybe like one of you guys is relatively normal.

As the sane, gentlemanly, elder statesman of the bad thread, I can confirm it's an amusing spectacle.

But you have to have a catty demeanor and enjoy pointing and laughing at broken nerdlingers.

It's also probably fun if you like painted miniature war goblins or whatever the gently caress. And having c/d-list celebrities refuse to touch you for photo ops.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

So I made some fanart :negative:

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:

IRQ posted:

lol

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Greatbacon posted:

So I made some fanart :negative:

Hahaha "hard" "dick"

And gently caress you Contra, Phoenix is great, its no Delta, Utah of course but still.

I am assuming Delta is the crack den of Salt Lake here.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

At least one person reading this thread has to be not hosed in the head, right?

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

bigmcgaffney posted:

Hahaha "hard" "dick"

And gently caress you Contra, Phoenix is great, its no Delta, Utah of course but still.

I am assuming Delta is the crack den of Salt Lake here.

Delta is like how I think 99% of how people imagine hell would be if it was infested by socially awkward Mormons.

And the only reason I said Phoenix was because of the immigration laws mainly, but they're not much better here to be honest. One of our dumbass senators actually suggested making what essentially amounted to concentration camps for illegal immigrants a while back. This guy is still in office.

IRQ posted:

lol

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Dead Man Posting posted:

This thread will be one year old in one week.

We made it another year, folks!

412 pages, George. One year, George.

Aug 14, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I went ahead and finished the last two books. I wish I hadn't.

Chapter summaries were everything I needed to know. What a waste of a week.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
But, but, if you hadn't done that you wouldn't have known exactly how many ways Daario had Dany, or how Asha has a rape fetish introduced and then immediately dropped after one scene, or the precise number of times Brienne asks around for a maid of three and ten! All of this is vital to the overarching plot!

e: also the top of this image might summarize your feelings about the last two books:

whowhatwhere fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jun 26, 2012

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Most importantly, you would have missed out on the likes of "much and more" and "nuncle".

The Mutato
Feb 23, 2011

Neil deGrasse Highson
Not to mention the stunning Jorah breastplate scene

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
Get in the van, guys, its time for a road trip! Next stop, New Mexico!!

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

The Mutato posted:

Not to mention the stunning Jorah breastplate scene

That breastplate is a secret Targ, you know. Like Jon, the secret Targ warg. It is also like Bran the secretly alive boring cripple, it can warg into any nipples of the first men and retains a nippular memory so it can see events from nipples past.

Gibbone
May 8, 2011
let's just all reflect briefly on how much better ADWD would have been if Tyrion had been forced to take the black instead of being bailed out by Jaime and Varys. just think on it for a second.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

IRQ posted:

:shepface:

Gibbone posted:

let's just all reflect briefly on how much better ADWD would have been if Tyrion had been forced to take the black instead of being bailed out by Jaime and Varys. just think on it for a second.

FFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCKKKKKKK.

I would hate GRRM ever so slightly less if he did something interesting.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Can we make a kickstarter to buy GURM a lifetime supply of twinkies and dew and some Super Bowl tickets but only give it to him on the condition that he finishes the last two books?

He'd spit them out in a few weeks and then slip into a diabetic coma by late February and all will be right with the world.

The Mutato
Feb 23, 2011

Neil deGrasse Highson
We should hire a sorrowful man to take him out then hold a competition to finish the series.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Contra Calculus posted:

I was there last year and I'll be there again this year. Not sure how to trump last year's glitter-tits experience, but I'm sure I'll figure something out.

Anyway I have space to share in my room (at the con) so if one of y'all needs somewhere to sleep send me a PM and maybe we can work it out.

my cat is norris fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jun 26, 2012

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Yes. I too would like to share a locked room with a bad thread poster.

Lines form to the left.

:unsmigghh:

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
Dragons are not stopped by locks and chains, just ask Quentyn Martell! Where is Dragoncon anyway? Delta, Utah I hope?

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

The Mutato posted:

We should hire a sorrowful man to take him out then hold a competition to finish the series.
I'm so sorry (I read ADWD).

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

Yes. I too would like to share a locked room with a bad thread poster.

Lines form to the left.

:unsmigghh:

Well, I don't know. I think having two Bad Thread posters locked together in one room would actually work out pretty well for both. I mean, one doing something to the other will probably also result in the other doing something to the one in turn. So it's all balanced.

bigmcgaffney posted:

Dragons are not stopped by locks and chains, just ask Quentyn Martell! Where is Dragoncon anyway? Delta, Utah I hope?

It's in Georgia apparently. You will know you're there because you will feel a chill down your spine as A Glistening Hodor approaches the vicinity.

Lolitas Alright!
Sep 15, 2007

This is your friend.
She fights for your freedom.

That's nothing. I'm waiting for everyone here to start reading those 50 Shades of Grey books, which put lovely GRRM sex scenes, and lovely fanfic in general, to utter shame.

I'd ask MY CAT IS NORRIS to read them for us, but that's cheating.

I'm reading the first one and doing an MST3K thing of it because my friend's mom insisted I do so. I just hit Chapter Seven and it's... a thing.

I can honestly say it is the worst piece of published literature I have ever read, and I read "Twilight". What makes it better is that "50 Shades of Grey" was literally a Twilight BDSM fanfic written by EL James under the pen name "Icequeens Snowdragon". 80% of the original fanfic is still intact in the published text... she honestly just went through and did Find/Replace on the names, and it's pretty obvious if you know even a tiny bit about "Twilight".

There is literally nothing redeemable about that book, absolutely nothing.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Lolitas Alright! posted:

I'm reading the first one and doing an MST3K thing of it because my friend's mom insisted I do so. I just hit Chapter Seven and it's... a thing.

I can honestly say it is the worst piece of published literature I have ever read, and I read "Twilight". What makes it better is that "50 Shades of Grey" was literally a Twilight BDSM fanfic written by EL James under the pen name "Icequeens Snowdragon". 80% of the original fanfic is still intact in the published text... she honestly just went through and did Find/Replace on the names, and it's pretty obvious if you know even a tiny bit about "Twilight".

There is literally nothing redeemable about that book, absolutely nothing.

I'm aware. And I want to read them for the same reason I wouldn't turn down free tickets to a public beheading. But I just can't bring myself to read 300 pages about that bland gal getting her butthole licked by that foot face guy.

The real question is when will Agony in Pink became a NYT Bestseller, now that 50 shades of grey has established that really lovely fanfic is marketable.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Ezekiel 23:20
Whoa, hold on. I've been avoiding this twilight thing for years. No one said anything about butthole licking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Ambiguatron posted:

Whoa, hold on. I've been avoiding this twilight thing for years. No one said anything about butthole licking.

Twilight was Mormon and virginal.

Then unhinged lunatic fans started writing fanfic.

One of them wrote a really over the top BDSM fanfic about ball gargling and butthole licking.

The publisher replaced the names Edward and Bella and sold it as a new property.

CRAZY CAT LADY EROTIC SLASH FICTION ABOUT TWILIGHT IS THE #1 NYT BESTSELLER

I am not making a word of this up.