Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
Is there some online outlet where you can buy bulk pee sticks? I have a feeling I'm going to be peeing on a lot of them before I can trust this thing.

Well, maybe not too many of them. I only have sex, like, twice a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

Geolicious posted:

Is there some online outlet where you can buy bulk pee sticks? I have a feeling I'm going to be peeing on a lot of them before I can trust this thing.

Well, maybe not too many of them. I only have sex, like, twice a year.

Amazon sells cheap ones made by a company called Wondfo that are very good. Despite the cheap price they actually detected my (on purpose!) pregnancy before the expensive tests.

Whatever you do, stay away from blue dye tests if you are prone to freaking out about pregnancy. They much more commonly get evaporation lines that look like positives than pink dye tests. And do not pull tests back out of the trash to look at them again. They are not accurate after the time at which they tell you to read them and many will develop a line hours or days after use that is NOT a positive line.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
Oh, I've done my fair share of pee sticks and know how they work.

I just figured I should buy a big lot of them if I'm going to be manic and save some money.

jai Mundi
Jun 17, 2005

Kiss my shiny metal heinie
At what point should I worry about not getting my period?

I had a paragard IUD inserted in April, and continued the rest of my bc pill pack, as directed by my Dr. Then I had a fairly normal period. And now, I am just waiting...and waiting. I'm not pregnant, but I am about 2 weeks late. Did anyone have a delayed period? Thanks!

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
My period has slowly gotten father apart in frequency and lighter. I think my last period was two days long and I didn't need more than a pantyliner at any point.

jai Mundi
Jun 17, 2005

ladyweapon posted:

My period has slowly gotten father apart in frequency and lighter. I think my last period was two days long and I didn't need more than a pantyliner at any point.

I'm gonna make the assumption that you have the mirena IUD?

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

jai Mundi posted:

I'm gonna make the assumption that you have the mirena IUD?

Ah, yes, sorry. I totally glazed over the fact you have paragard. :downs:

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004

jai Mundi posted:

At what point should I worry about not getting my period?

How long were you on the pill? If you had ever stopped it before, what happened with your periods when you did? What were your periods like before you went on the pill?

This could be unusual or it could be totally normal.

holylemon
May 24, 2004

Dude, have you ever touched a dolphin?

Fun Shoe
I had a Mirena IUD put in six weeks ago and I've had spotting every day since. Most of the time it isn't really enough to justify using my cup, but sometimes it is. It's just so annoying and I hope it stops soon. Ugh...

There's no real point to my posting this except that I needed to complain to people who would understand. I hope that's okay! Overall I do like the IUD much better than any other form of birth control I've tried, and I don't regret getting it, but I will be much happier when this spotting stops.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
My gyno told me to expect spotting for 6 to 8 weeks.

And I've had virtually none since the day after I had it put in. I didn't even get my period even though I had it put in on the first day.

I'm certainly not complaining, but I keep expecting this spontaneous bloodbath.

edit: Of course the pill made my periods pretty light, so maybe there wasn't a lot lining it in there to begin with. I would just die of joy if this kills my periods.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Sorry for the double post, but I have tried every position I can find, and I cannot reach/feel my strings. I think my fingers are just too short and my cervix is too high. I don't how I am supposed to check on it.

NewsGunkie
Jul 23, 2007
Sometimes, there's a clog in the pipelines.

fork bomb posted:

TBH, that just sounds like you're experiencing the common side effect of Implanon: ~irregular bleeding~ and your weight issues are probably playing into this less than you think. Anecdotally, I also have Implanon and have experienced some hosed up menstruation, including 2 full periods within a month. I've also bled for 3 weeks straight. >.< For me, the mental reassurance of the pregnancy-free insurance that Implanon has provided has been worth it (doesn't mean that I enjoy it though!) so I've dealt.

Please post an update on the Premarin (is this a low-dose pill?)

I just noticed this, oops. It's a very low-dose pill, .3mg. I bled for the first week and half like crazy, and then I woke up yesterday and it had pretty much stopped. Considering how badly estrogen has effected me in the past, ie spiking up the pressure in my spinal fluid causing massive migraines a few years ago, it didn't surprise me that the lack there of might also cause issues. I could be totally off about it, though. I do go in for my annual on Wednesday, so I'll check in with the NP again. I still have about a week to go on the Premarin, but it seems to have worked.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

Geolicious posted:

Sorry for the double post, but I have tried every position I can find, and I cannot reach/feel my strings. I think my fingers are just too short and my cervix is too high. I don't how I am supposed to check on it.

Ask your man to try; he can probably get a better angle to get up in there.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

bobula posted:

Ask your man to try; he can probably get a better angle to get up in there.

Well, I would, but he lives on the other side of the country and only sees my lady bits about twice a year. I need to figure out a way to check on them myself.

gabi
Sep 10, 2008
After my strings were trimmed I hardly ever felt them. My boyfriend did a few times, but they're pretty thin. Unless you're getting poked with an end of one, it can be difficult to figure out. See if you can find your cervix (depending on where you are in your cycle it could be way up in there), the strings should be coming out of it. Don't fret if you can't find your cervix at this point in your cycle either, wait a few days and keep trying.

Also, bulk pregnancy strips from Amazon are 32 cents a test.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, my fingers are too short (seriously, I have child sized hands, it's weird, people comment on how small they are) and my cervix is high. I cannot reach it right now. If I get a period, I'll try then.

jai Mundi
Jun 17, 2005

Ceridwen posted:

How long were you on the pill? If you had ever stopped it before, what happened with your periods when you did? What were your periods like before you went on the pill?

This could be unusual or it could be totally normal.

I was on the pill for 17 years. I went off them one time for about 3 months because I was lazy. My lazy uterus couldn't muster a period without the drugs. I suppose that's what we are doing now. I guess so long as I'm not pregnant, I really don't care what's going on.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

jai Mundi posted:

I was on the pill for 17 years. I went off them one time for about 3 months because I was lazy. My lazy uterus couldn't muster a period without the drugs. I suppose that's what we are doing now. I guess so long as I'm not pregnant, I really don't care what's going on.

Well there you go then. If your uterus didn't do the period thing before BC, then now that the hormones have washed out of your system entirely, it's back to the factory settings of "no periods." Lucky girl ;)

jai Mundi
Jun 17, 2005

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Well there you go then. If your uterus didn't do the period thing before BC, then now that the hormones have washed out of your system entirely, it's back to the factory settings of "no periods." Lucky girl ;)

I don't know if that's the original setting or not, but we'll see. I did get my period before I was on the pill. Truth be told, I'd rather have a period. It's my sure-fire safety signal that I am not pregnant.

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks

jai Mundi posted:

I don't know if that's the original setting or not, but we'll see. I did get my period before I was on the pill. Truth be told, I'd rather have a period. It's my sure-fire safety signal that I am not pregnant.

It's pretty drat normal to have screwed up cycles after going off hormonal birth control! Two weeks is nothing to worry about, especially considering you didn't have a period for three months last time you went off the pills. You can probably expect more of the same.

Also keep in mind that stress (at any point in your cycle) can delay a period significantly. One of my last periods was something like two weeks late because I had final exams midway through my cycle.

jai Mundi
Jun 17, 2005

Bagleworm posted:

It's pretty drat normal to have screwed up cycles after going off hormonal birth control! Two weeks is nothing to worry about, especially considering you didn't have a period for three months last time you went off the pills. You can probably expect more of the same.

Also keep in mind that stress (at any point in your cycle) can delay a period significantly. One of my last periods was something like two weeks late because I had final exams midway through my cycle.

Aunt Flo came to visit. Boom! Headshot!

Now I just have to work out if the strange acne-like bumps on my once-pristine face are going to sort themselves out in a few weeks too. On a scale of 1 to 10 in horror, it's a 2, so not that big of a deal, but I am in my mid-thirties and think I am too old for this poo poo.

Any ladies have a bit of a complexion issue once going off hormonal birth control? Did it resolve itself, or did you need to see a dermatologist?

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
My skin seems to be getting worse as I get older. I am wondering, too, if switching from the pill to Mirena will make things better or worse or if there will be stasis.

jai Mundi
Jun 17, 2005

I would ask if the hormones in Mirena are just localized. It would seem to me that he method of entry would make some difference. Since you consume BCP orally, the hormones have to pass though several systems, and would have the chance to effect your completion.

The Mirena delivery system is just your uterus. I wouldn't think that the hormones would have the chance to get up to your face. Clearly, I am not a doctor, so I have no loving clue.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
If you were on the pill before and had less acne than when you weren't on the pill, going onto the Mirena you may see more acne again. This isn't because Mirena gives you acne, but because it doesn't have the same/as much hormone as a combined pill, and so you don't get the positive acne-fighting side effects that you get with said combined pill.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I don't know that the pill had much affect on my acne. My skin has basically gotten worse each year of my 20s.

evelynevvie
Sep 14, 2004

I'll fry you like a fritter! Crispy on the outside... chewy on the inside!!!

The first few months I was on the Nuvaring last year my face exploded. However, after that it cleared up and I very rarely get even a single zit anymore.
Basically, YMMV no matter what the BC method is. Also keep in mind that it may take a few months for side effects to go away on pretty much any hormonal method.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk
Trip Report!

As I mentioned in my previous posts, for the past several months, I’ve been dancing with the possibility of bringing up to my gyno that I’d like to have my birth control changed to something a little more… permanent… than what I’m currently on. So, yesterday I finally had an appointment why the local OBGYN for my yearly exam, with the intent that I would bring it up then.

So, I arrive at the office with husband in tow the requisite 30 minutes early to do the paperwork they need me to fill out, and I get finished with it pretty fast – actually about spot on for why my appointment was meant to start. I take it back up to the window and get my documents back from the nurse, and then go sit back down to wait and try to not have a complete panic attack/mental meltdown because of anxiety. We sit there in the waiting room as the time of my appointment ticks by… 20 minutes ticks by… 30 minutes… Then, finally, 45 minutes past when my appointment was scheduled for (we’d been there over an hour at this point because they wanted me to come early for paperwork, remember) they finally call me back.

The doctor comes in, and says, “I see here on your paperwork you say you’re on your period. We can’t do your exam until you’re off your cycle.” I’m like… what.

I’m pretty sure in the past I’ve had yearly exams done before with no issue while on my cycle, but whatever I guess, she's the doctor and she makes the rules. So, I at least brought up to her about changing my birth control, which was the big thing I was worried about anyway. She was really receptive to what I had to say, which was really important to me because I've had exceptionally bad luck with doctors in generally listening to me (in general) and that was part of the reason I was freaking out pretty bad - I just didn't want to go in there and have everything I said be shot down. ANYWAY, she was also was open to the reasons that I was seeking a permanent method. I ended up breaking down and crying because I’m really just awful at talking about anything emotional. I mentioned to her that “Essure” was the method I was looking at, because it seemed pretty straightforward and quick enough to have put in. However, the doctor said that based on what all I told her, the Essure probably wouldn’t be a good suit, since with that method they basically put these little inserts in your fallopian tubes to block your eggs coming out, and there’s a chance of them rejecting, and also because I end up having a lot of MRIs because of having bad discs in my back and basically being on permanent treatment for that, so it could become an issue since they’re made of nickel and could complicate any further MRIs I need to get. And… just a whole lot of other ‘what if’ things that could/might cause me anxiety because I do tend to worry about things to an excessive degree.

Anyway, she was very receptive to everything I had to say and said she would recommend a tubal litigation instead and is perfectly willing to go forward with it after my pap, there’s just a few tests they have to run before they do it that’s basic procedure, and my insurance (Medicare/Medicaid) covers it as well, which is aces.

So… yay I guess?

She also sent me to get blood drawn to check for the PCOS that I talked about here before, that my dietician was acting concerned about... so here's hoping that's negative. In the meantime, my ~actual~ pap exam is the 18th of July. :smithicide:

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004

That drat Satyr posted:

The doctor comes in, and says, “I see here on your paperwork you say you’re on your period. We can’t do your exam until you’re off your cycle.” I’m like… what.

I’m pretty sure in the past I’ve had yearly exams done before with no issue while on my cycle, but whatever I guess, she's the doctor and she makes the rules.

Glad the doc was receptive to your needs. Just wanted to comment on this part. I've been told in the past that a pap can't be done during your period, when I was getting one done the day before my period started. The NP commented that she could tell I was about to start and that there was a chance that we would need to redo it.

evelynevvie
Sep 14, 2004

So, I have PCOS. Currently I am on the Nuvaring to keep my periods under control but I am getting curious about the Mirena IUD. Does having PCOS make it inadvisable for me? I've not seen it really talked about in the thread.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Hey thread, so I'm in a long distance relationship, and my girlfriend started taking the pill because I was gonna be with her in person for a month. I got back from my trip last week and she had her period at the same time. She was finishing and starting a new pack of her pills, but stopped after two days because she started feeling awful.

Now she's fine, off the pills, but having a lot of bleeding. Her period was on schedule last week, but she says now she is bleeding more than a usual period. She doesn't feel sick at all, just is concerned about the bleeding.

She had never taken pills until half a year ago, and doesn't have access to a gyno she feels comfortable with because of where she lives. Hate to rely on the Internet for medical stuff, but this is falling right on the edge between "It's probably nothing" and "Oh Jesus I'm terrified".

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

Chinaman7000 posted:

She was finishing and starting a new pack of her pills, but stopped after two days because she started feeling awful.

She had never taken pills until half a year ago, and doesn't have access to a gyno she feels comfortable with because of where she lives.

She was on bc for a month (or two?), then stopped? Yes, all the bleeding is totally normal. When you mess with your body's hormones it reacts. Birth control pills help regulate your hormones, so when she went off them, her body reacted. The bleeding is normal, and her cycle may be irregular (time wise, and bleeding wise) for a few cycles.

I'm also not sure how she got on the pills in the first place if she isn't going to a gyno though, that is a little worrisome.

BlueOccamy
Jul 1, 2010

Sounds good to me! I'm jealous of people who have the option of permanent sterilization, lucky you if they okay it :P My follow-up appointment for my Mirena placement to make sure it's in the right place got moved back to the 18th. So I'll be thinking of you and your pap smear as I get the ultrasound done for my thing :D

My sorta-trip report (Mirena):
My cramps have mostly gone away by now, I've just had a couple today and the past few days. Still sorta on my period. I think it's mostly back down to spotting levels but we just got power back two hours ago and it's been out since Friday evening. I haven't been shining the flashlight into the toilet bowl to check for blood, but I'm still using pantyliners anyway so it's not really an issue.

I was with a group of friends for most of today doing an adventure-themed party (we were in the Amazon, it certainly felt like it with the humidity and it being over 90 degrees outside -and- in cause the person holding it also didn't have power). It was super fun and after we were done we went to get food and the conversation for most of dinner centered around sex, birth control, gender identity stuff and horror/funny sex ed stories. It was a blast, and I got to promote my Baby Blocker 9000 a bit ^.^

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I've been having some very strong cramps today. Nothing drawn out or repetitive really. Very sporadic but VERY noticeable. Is this just normal 'settling'?

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004

Geolicious posted:

I've been having some very strong cramps today. Nothing drawn out or repetitive really. Very sporadic but VERY noticeable. Is this just normal 'settling'?

Quite likely. It can't hurt to take some advil or aleve to get them to calm down.

lambeth
Aug 31, 2009

evelynevvie posted:

So, I have PCOS. Currently I am on the Nuvaring to keep my periods under control but I am getting curious about the Mirena IUD. Does having PCOS make it inadvisable for me? I've not seen it really talked about in the thread.

This is something I'm curious about as well, as my gyn only mentioned the pill for BC when I was diagnosed. Pretty much everything I've found seems to suggest that women with PCOS should be on BC with estrogen, so I don't know if an IUD can be used or not. Perhaps it depends on how severe your symptoms are.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
The literature I have read on Mirena list benign ovarian cysts as a potential side effect. I don't know about Paragard.

evelynevvie
Sep 14, 2004

See, I was thinking it was progestin-only for PCOS, since, at least if you are anovulatory like me, your body doesn't produce enough progesterone. Also, my old gyno put me on the shot (progestin only) when she diagnosed me with PCOS although it ended up being pretty hellish for me. She said at the time that it is really good for PCOS as long as you don't end up with side effects.

My thing with PCOS is that my periods are extremely irregular. The last several years I would go 18-19 months and not have one at all. On the rare chance I did, it would be long and heavy. Long as in several weeks, heavy as in filling an overnight pad in 30-60 minutes (I'm talking those big honking kotex ones). Not to mention devil cramps that left me in bed all day.

This is pretty much me:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCOS#Menstrual_irregularity_and_endometrial_hyperplasia

lambeth
Aug 31, 2009

evelynevvie posted:

See, I was thinking it was progestin-only for PCOS, since, at least if you are anovulatory like me, your body doesn't produce enough progesterone. Also, my old gyno put me on the shot (progestin only) when she diagnosed me with PCOS although it ended up being pretty hellish for me. She said at the time that it is really good for PCOS as long as you don't end up with side effects.

That's a good point. My understanding is that estrogen is used to lower testosterone levels, as well as help regulate the cycle. The main concern with low progesterone levels is that it can lead to issues like the uterine lining overgrowing, though I would think progesterone-only BC would help with that. I looked it up and some women with PCOS said the Mirena worked great for them and some said it made their symptoms worse. It seems like the Mirena mainly just stops/lighten your periods and doesn't really treat the other PCOS symptoms. I can see why you'd want one though given how crappy your periods are, so I guess just ask your doctor about it.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Hey, guys. I missed two active pills on my Sprintec and, as per the instructions, skipped the placebo week and straight-up started a new pack. Been on my period for three weeks since then. It's not really actively bothersome--no cramps, just a light but consistent bloodflow. Should I be worried? If not, is there a particular timeframe after which I should be worried?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~
Nope, you shouldn't be worried yet. If you continue to bleed after you finish this pack (one full cycle from the mistake), then I'd be a little worried.

• Locked thread