Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Needs hard bags painted in the same scheme if you can get 'em. Lookin' rad!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I would loving ride the poo poo out of that bike, post pictures on facebook and watch my chaos fag friend head explode.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

ElMaligno posted:

I would loving ride the poo poo out of that bike, post pictures on facebook and watch my chaos fag friend head explode.

I unironically considered fabbing up a couple of Purity Seals to put on the tail-piece.

Just the logo is enough nerd-bait though.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
On the way out the door this morning, I noticed that the ol' bike wasn't in the exact place I last saw it last night when I got home. Since I was in a hurry, I just left it where it was, since it was still covered and upright.

Got home tonight and wanted to make sure the cover was tightened up before the arriving storm hit. Oh, look, it's now in a different place than this morning.

Took the cover off to move it, and a quick look shows my (new) mirrors are now aiming at the ground and the clutch lever is similarly twisted around to some odd position. So I just re-park it, re-cover it, and pop open a beer as soon as I get to the kitchen.

I'm so loving sick of this poo poo. :(

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001
Put some new shoes on the '82 Seca 650. Feels waaaay better now. The old tires felt like poo poo from day one; I don't think it's ever felt this good.

I also renewed the final drive oil seal and big o-ring in the case. The answer to my question from a while back is: yes you do have to remove the ring gear to get the seal off, but it's no big deal as far as I can tell, despite the dire warnings from the Haynes manual. Replacing the seal itself was super easy. I just made sure that I didn't disturb the shims when moving it around. The other lesson is that I should have purchased the o-ring and seal for the other side of the case. I don't think I needed them, but it's the sort of thing that you should probably do while you're there and it would be no extra trouble.

Oh- the tire removal was done using my homemade mojolever (though it's more modeled after the no-mar lever):

I still need to weld up the bracket for the two tips on the install side. As of now I need to use standard tire levers for the install.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

AnnoyBot posted:

I don't think it's ever felt this good.

This is the satisfaction you get again and again owning an old bike and gradually bringing it back to ship shape.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Chris Knight posted:

On the way out the door this morning, I noticed that the ol' bike wasn't in the exact place I last saw it last night when I got home. Since I was in a hurry, I just left it where it was, since it was still covered and upright.

Got home tonight and wanted to make sure the cover was tightened up before the arriving storm hit. Oh, look, it's now in a different place than this morning.

Took the cover off to move it, and a quick look shows my (new) mirrors are now aiming at the ground and the clutch lever is similarly twisted around to some odd position. So I just re-park it, re-cover it, and pop open a beer as soon as I get to the kitchen.

I'm so loving sick of this poo poo. :(

Do you park in a parking lot or on the street?

Outright theft is one thing, at least you know it happened with intent. But carelessness and inattentiveness is just so enraging because you know it could have prevented if people just gave the tiniest of fucks.

Unless of course one of your neighbors hate you and tips over your bike on purpose.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I park on the street, and almost always get a spot right in front of the house. I think it's time to see if there are any garage spaces around here to rent. And/or get a motion alarm.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Tamir Lenk posted:

I unironically considered fabbing up a couple of Purity Seals to put on the tail-piece.

A single small one on the back would put the whole thing over the top. :allears:

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Tamir Lenk posted:

Just the logo is enough nerd-bait though.

Someone, somewhere was selling purity seal fridge magnets, I know because my friend has one. The little prayer paper/ribbon bit needs to flutter as you ride :cool:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

ReelBigLizard posted:

Someone, somewhere was selling purity seal fridge magnets, I know because my friend has one. The little prayer paper/ribbon bit needs to flutter as you ride :cool:

They came with the special edition of space marine.

I know cause I have one on my fridge. It's the best when people notice it.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Blerg, I need to work on my bike this evening.
  • Finish wiring tail light
  • Swap front tire
  • Install handguards
  • Test-fit smaller front sprocket (12 or 13)
  • Install tool tube
  • Pack dirt gear

Fixed Gear Guy
Oct 21, 2010

In a ketchup factory. A sexy ketchup factory.
I did a thing.

I finally was able to wrap my fork legs (well, one, anyway) in black vinyl. Protips: Use Avrey A9 vinyl with a heat gun. Measure 3x before you cut. I wasted so many sheets of vinyl getting the technique down (because I am retarded) but I am so happy that it's working!

Next up: Cover the remaining three fork sections. Tomorrow: New exhaust, new tail chop, new bars.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Fixed Gear Guy posted:

I finally was able to wrap my fork legs (well, one, anyway) in black vinyl. Protips: Use Avrey A9 vinyl with a heat gun. Measure 3x before you cut. I wasted so many sheets of vinyl getting the technique down (because I am retarded) but I am so happy that it's working!

:stare: That is such a loving good idea. I hate with a passion the stupid beige colouring on my forks.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Protects the forks from nicks and stuff too. drat genius.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Love it! Make them a bitch to get off though, so not a good candidate for the track bike or I'd be all over that.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

MotoMind posted:

Blerg, I need to work on my bike this evening.
  • Finish wiring tail light
  • Swap front tire
  • Install handguards
  • Install 12T front sprocket
  • Install tool tube
  • Pack dirt gear

12/52 gearing should make things pleasant out in the dirt. Not entirely sure about the clearance of my tool tube to the front wheel at full compression. I'll probably remove it for the dirt and then try to run the wheel through full stroke back at home sometime.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

MotoMind posted:

12/52 gearing should make things pleasant out in the dirt. Not entirely sure about the clearance of my tool tube to the front wheel at full compression. I'll probably remove it for the dirt and then try to run the wheel through full stroke back at home sometime.

Between our mutual probations and bans, I totally forgot what bike(s) you ride, Mr. MotoMind. 12/52 gearing is pretty aggressive. Is this for a dedicated low cc dirt-bike?

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

This one's the Yamaha WR250R. It has a redline somewhere over 10K and 6 gears to work with, so the whirly bits inside won't be too stressed at low highway speeds on my way to the dirt bike park. 14/52 is ideal for normal use, where 65-85mph spans the meat of the powerband.

The primary purpose of the ridiculously large dinner plate on the back was to give the swingarm pivot point more clearance. The WR's have a tendency to eat through their sliders and nom into the swingarm when loaded.

(Also ride a KLR650, which blats along at 16/43, though I have a 12T on the shelf for that one as well.)

MotoMind fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jun 23, 2012

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

MotoMind posted:

This one's the Yamaha WR250R.

That explains it.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

2ndclasscitizen posted:

:stare: That is such a loving good idea. I hate with a passion the stupid beige colouring on my forks.

I just use black electrical tape to avoid stone chips on the fork uppers. Even easier and no heat gun required, just wind it on.

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Agreed, my forks are gold with everything else black/red, I'm so loving glad to have stumbled upon a solution. I figured I could just buy new forks/covers, but that doesn't even seem to be possible short of buying oem. This way would definitely be cheaper, and I have access to a heat gun at work! Sounds like I've got a new project for after our 4th of July trip.

We are still waiting on getting the EX500 tank back from powder coating, I think we're going on 3 weeks now :(

EvilCrayon
Dec 30, 2007
Got some parts in the mail yesterday. Rear brake lever, brake cable, and new shift lever for the Bultaco. Took off the skidplate and the shift lever was a cinch. However, the brake cable had some clearance issues that required removing one bolt from a chain guard. Then the post that the lever rotates on decided to snap off the frame. I had got it on but it wouldn't rotate so while taking it off, the post's welds broke.

Fast forward to today, I drop off the bike at my buddy's shop and he machined the post and welded it back in. The weld is much more substantial this time around and now the lever rotates perfectly. Adjusted the brake cable and used some zipties to secure it to the frame.

Feels good having the brake and shifter on the "normal" sides now. I've ordered sprockets. Going from 12/46 to 13/39 should give me a substantial increase in top speed. Which is good because as much as I like being able to leave stop lights in 5th, I don't like topping out at 30mph.

Also, does anybody have any suggestions on how to wire up some headlights and tail lights without a battery? I was thinking of just using a system similar to the ones my moped buddies run. A simple rechargeable sealed battery connected to LED headlights and tail lights with a switch to turn them on and off. But then how do I run turn signals? or even an actual speedo/tach gauge.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
I finished breaking in my engine.

And now I can experience the wide world of engine braking, rev limiting, and accelerating as quickly as possible. Hooray!

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Spent the better part of a day bolting parts on the WRX, then took it down some backroads, then off the backroads to nowhere. I rode home with vines hanging off again.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Fixed up the man-handled mirrors and left grip from whatever happened on Wednesday night, then took 'er for a spin before the rain hits.

Ticked over 27,000km! :3:

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
Got some gas and rode ~160 miles on canyon roads (including the famous CA hwy 2) with my buddy on his DL1000. His favorite thing to do is spank any and every sport-bike rider out there. Passing entire groups one by one with me putt-putting along a few miles behind.

I was one of the slowest on the road, but that doesn't bother me. I had a great time and I'm seeing small improvements every time I go. This time, I was able to navigate every curve without panic-braking mid curve when entering hotter than I wanted. This could mean that I was approaching the curve slower, but I still take it as a great improvement!

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Got my first ticket on my bike. Was coming around a bend of a 35 mph road that I hadn't taken before and found a stop sign. I tried to brake but couldn't in time, so I rolled through it. Cop was sitting there waiting. Awesome.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
That's a bummer. On the plus side, there could have been a car crossing and you might have been posting in the crash thread.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

savesthedayrocks posted:

Got my first ticket on my bike. Was coming around a bend of a 35 mph road that I hadn't taken before and found a stop sign. I tried to brake but couldn't in time, so I rolled through it. Cop was sitting there waiting. Awesome.

Not to be picky, but they usually design these things so that if you're going the speed limit you have plenty of warning and room to stop in time. Were you speeding?

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.
I got my buddy over, changed the rear brakes (no more asbestos yay!), flushed and bled the front brake, and mounted the rear wheel. After a tighten down session I was ready to start her up and get my first road ride tomorrow. All she did was wheeze. I could hear the starter protesting every time I pushed the start button, so I am going to start with a trickle charger and go from there.

Maybe one day I'll actually get on the road. :allears:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

What do you mean "protesting"? If it turns the engine over, there's no problem with the starter (that would stop it from firing, anyway).

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

What do you mean "protesting"? If it turns the engine over, there's no problem with the starter (that would stop it from firing, anyway).

This is entirely untrue. Starters have plenty of failure modes between "working fine" and "not turning" that can cause serious issues to starter sprag clutches, and a number of other maladies.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

That wasn't my point. He says the starter is "protesting", so I wanted to know if that meant it wasn't turning the engine at all, or if it was just making unpleasant noises. If it is turning the engine, then the battery is fine and something else is preventing it from starting. If it isn't turning the engine over, then there could be dozens of problems, but yeah. His post wasn't clear enough for me to differentiate between those two.

You're right that the starter could be working fine and the clutch or drive or whatever it uses could be damaged instead, of course. But literally all I'm saying is "if the starter can turn the engine, then it will be able to start the engine."

e: this is one of many reasons why they should still be putting kick starters on bikes

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jun 26, 2012

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I spent the evening swapping out clipons and re-wiring the controls. The fzr controls were too picky so out they went.

I've really grown to hate Yamaha wiring. Its really sad when the rover has a more reliable electrical system.

The R1 cluster isnt wired. Its just there for mockup.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jun 26, 2012

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

EvilCrayon posted:

Also, does anybody have any suggestions on how to wire up some headlights and tail lights without a battery? I was thinking of just using a system similar to the ones my moped buddies run. A simple rechargeable sealed battery connected to LED headlights and tail lights with a switch to turn them on and off. But then how do I run turn signals? or even an actual speedo/tach gauge.

What I did for the horn for my TY (and all that's required over here for an MOT) was a small 12v battery under a side panel, 12v horn and a switch mounted to the bars, plus some cable routed with the rest of the loom. Imagine you could do the same with lights, albeit not sure how long those would last, but good enough if it's just for purely theoretical road legality.

If it doesn't have a speedo drive, use an aftermarket speedo with a magnetic pickup on the fork leg, or if nothing's legally preventing you, a bicycle computer with the same setup.

http://trailtech.net/computers.html

Also google Acewell.

Are you sure there was no factory lighting kit for the 'taco?

e: google suggests you can get them, e.g.

http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/stator-kits-all-12425-0.html

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
The new yamaha WR450s use a capacitor that gets the job done, though the stator was beefed up (160 watts) to make up for it. They have the option for a battery but it can be removed for "racing use", which means no electric start.

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.

Sagebrush posted:

It sounds like it's whining. Like chugging along, but as it does the lights dim out which make me hope it just needs a trickle charge. It would turn over and start fine as of a week or two ago.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Non-pedantic input: from what you describe it sounds like it was turning over slowly on a weak battery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

clutchpuck posted:

Non-pedantic input: from what you describe it sounds like it was turning over slowly on a weak battery.

Yup. If you'd record it and speed it up, it would sound like normal. Charge it up and it should spin nicely. If the battery is poor, the voltage will drop to whiny noise levels right away, even if it measures at 13+ volts with no load.