Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Excavation posted:

I was playing a thing before where I was moving between a G major and A minor chord, and the passing chord has a G# in the left hand and C-D-F-G# in the right. What would be the best name for this chord? Dm7b5/G#, perhaps?

Anyone good with music theory know what I'm talking about? I don't. Well, I'm having trouble explaining it anyway. The name for it right now seems a bit clumsy.

Dm7#11, I guess it depends what key you're in though, if you have an Ab in the key then it would just be
Dm7b5.

edit: Oops, I didn't see the G# in the base, but yeah I would call it Ab anyway since that would be the 5th of the chord. So yeah I guess Dm7b5/Ab, or if you've got an A in the key not Ab than it would be Dm7#11/G#, but yeah I would have to do a triple take at that to figure out how to play that.

Hollis Brownsound fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jun 14, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excavation
May 18, 2004

FEED ME CRAYONS

HollisBrown posted:

Dm7#11, I guess it depends what key you're in though, if you have an Ab in the key then it would just be
Dm7b5.

edit: Oops, I didn't see the G# in the base, but yeah I would call it Ab anyway since that would be the 5th of the chord. So yeah I guess Dm7b5/Ab, or if you've got an A in the key not Ab than it would be Dm7#11/G#, but yeah I would have to do a triple take at that to figure out how to play that.

Ta muchly, the mystery chord is part of a turnaround back to a section in A minor if that answers your question. It kind of sounds to me like a V-i with a third in the bass (just going by the general vibe), like an E7 (E7+/G#?), but I guess you'd need some sort of E for that. I dunno, I use it a lot in passing between a bVII-i and curiosity struck again.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
The G# and D could be the 3rd and 7th respectively to an E7ish chord but the F and C don't really make sense in this context i mean a m2 and m6 in a dominant 7 chord is kind of odd.

Really what you have there is the vii chord from the tritone of Am. Dm7b5 is the natural vii chord from Eb major, and Eb major is a tritone from A, or if you count from C (relative major) it's just kind of a wierd ii chord (if you count it as a Dm7#11). Or vii of a m3. Or i guess it could be a iv chord in Am and it's a plagal cadence.

I don't know man what you have there is real noggin scratcher, but that's my favorite part of music, making things work and figuring why it does. Incidentally that's why I love the blues, people always go on about how easy the blues is to play but yo can get away with such weird stuff.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

How the hell do I get better at barre chords?

I keep practising, but I feel there's some technique that I'm not getting right.

And if the answer is to keep practising, I will!

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
Anyone here use the loop machine in Guitar Rig?

Is there a way to trigger it in advance - like, count in 4 beats, then start recording?

Does anyone know exactly what the 'auto start' and 'sync' buttons do? Because I can't figure it out for certain and I can't find any documentation online.

Keptbroom
Sep 10, 2009
Auto start means after you press the button it waits for you to start playing before it starts the loop. I think it works on threshold because I've never had it start recording from string noise.

Sync makes the loop exactly restart on the beat from the metronome, like if you hit the button a bit early/late it will automatically make the break in the right place. Hopefully you understand what I mean because I'm terrible at explaining stuff.

As far as starting it in advance, I don't think there is a way to do that, but auto start works well in its place.

Excavation
May 18, 2004

FEED ME CRAYONS

HollisBrown posted:

The G# and D could be the 3rd and 7th respectively to an E7ish chord but the F and C don't really make sense in this context i mean a m2 and m6 in a dominant 7 chord is kind of odd.

The b9 isn't too much of a stretch, I cram it into dom 7 chords all the time. Thanks for your help, I'll have to give the thing a name, something like Todd (the jerk chord).

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames

CapCityGoofBall posted:

I keep practising, but I feel there's some technique that I'm not getting right.

Practice them without using your thumb at all. Most of the force should come from your other arm pulling the guitar towards your body, pushing it towards your fingers on the fretboard. While this isn't technically the correct position for playing, it takes a lot of strain off of your hand and it will be easier to play them later when you do use your thumb.

Basically, if your wrists are sore, it's because you're doing it wrong, and this will teach you how to do it correctly. I don't know if this is common knowledge or not, though, it was just something that helped me out a lot.

Pyrthas
Jan 22, 2007

CapCityGoofBall posted:

Here are a few common tips:

Roll your index finger back towards the headstock a bit, so that you're playing a bit with the side of your finger.

Ideally, at least if your guitar is set up with low action and light strings, you shouldn't have to let your thumb touch the back of the neck at all. You should be able to hold the barre just with your arm. This is easier if you rotate the guitar slightly, so that the face of the fretboard isn't totally parallel with your body.

You don't have to hold all six (or five) strings down, because some of them are going to be fretted further up the neck anyway. Only worry about your barre fretting the ones that need to be fretted.

Practice more, because you're going to suck for a while no matter what.

Also, I bet there's some great Justin guitar video on barres or something.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
The thing I remember about barre chords is that they were the single most impossible thing when I first starting out on guitar, but then one day, fairly early on, I could just do them. It was like a light bulb thing. Hey wow, suddenly I can do this impossible thing! So keep trying, and you will figure it out surprisingly quickly.

Keptbroom posted:

guitar rig

Thanks, that's all good news. I hadn't figured that out about auto start, but it's exactly what I'm looking for. Can't wait to get home to try it.

Crudus
Nov 14, 2006

On the topic of the strange chord, I hear it as a d diminished resolving to the a minor chord. The C is the note that doesn't match, but that's because it is functioning as an anticipation of the minor third in the a chord.

What I really don't get is starting with the G major chord, that doesn't flow with the other two to my ears.

Crudus
Nov 14, 2006

OR alternately, an f minor chord, with the D from the G major chord staying as a suspension which resolves to the C of the a minor chord.

Excavation
May 18, 2004

FEED ME CRAYONS
It's not exactly starting on a G major, the section is in A minor and when it repeats it returns to A minor via a turnaround of G major and then that passing chord with the G# in the bass.

I was just wondering what it could be named. As for the C note not leading into the A minor very strongly, admittedly I know jack poo poo about voice leading so I'm not sure how well it works or even how it sounds to people who know what's what, but my train of thought is kind of like: minor plagal cadences are nice, so I can take this chord which is basically Fm with a moustache and resolve to - instead of C - its relative minor Am, and have the bass part move chromatically G-G#-A across the three chords. I'm not even sure if that makes sense but there ye go.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
on the note of tricky chords, I've run into a progression in a song that is really boggling my mind and finger muscles

http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/r/rolo_tomassi/i_love_turbulence_tab.htm

near the end there is a 5/4 section of strummed/arpeggiated chords...the first one is a simple A variation so it is easy, but the two following chords kill me. I have the most trouble switching from the second to the third chord. Sorry for the nonspecifics as I have no clue what these chords are called. Any tips on how to finger them would be great, and I'd even like to learn some theory about them and what the chords could be referred to as. It's a very enigmatic and pretty progression

Pyrthas
Jan 22, 2007
Looking at nothing else in the song, I'd say it's just Am7, CM7, FM7. I'd play the CM7 with 32411 and the FM7 with 3241. The CM7 strikes me as the sort of thing I would've been completely unable to play at one point, but it's easy for me now, so hang in there!

Edit: playing the Am7 with 12111 would make the transition much easier. I usually use my third or fourth finger there, depending on what other chords are around it, but here using your middle finger makes way more sense. But it's harder to get all the barred notes to come out clean if you use your second finger like that. Another thing to practice!

Pyrthas fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jun 18, 2012

abske_fides
Apr 20, 2010
Moved from the Komplete thread:
So I went legit when I bought Komplete but in their service updater they still see some old virtual instruments I had download. They're not on my computer anymore and there's nothing from them in my audio plug ins folder. How can I completely remove them from my computer so NI can't see them anymore? I'm on a Mac OSX 10.6.8 btw

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

abske_fides posted:

Moved from the Komplete thread:
So I went legit when I bought Komplete but in their service updater they still see some old virtual instruments I had download. They're not on my computer anymore and there's nothing from them in my audio plug ins folder. How can I completely remove them from my computer so NI can't see them anymore? I'm on a Mac OSX 10.6.8 btw

There might be some .plist files hanging around in your ApplicationSupport or Preferences folders (\Library\ApplicationSupport, \Library\Preferences, \Users\<username>\Library\ApplicationSupport, \Users\<username>\Library\Preferences), ridding the system of those would probably clear up the NI listings but you may need to reinstall Komplete afterwards, although you might get lucky and find specific files relating to the old instruments that you can delete without impacting the whole installation. Whatever you do though make sure you back up the files before deleting them just in case you make a mistake.
Onyx can clean up application folders and such so it may be relevant here.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
Can someone figure out what chords are being played by the synthesizer in this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x67jtMPfdTw

It's most apparent at around 2m35s where it's just the synth playing.

It seems like a pretty standard progression but my musical ear is poo poo (I'm trying to get better but I suck at hearing chords).

EDIT: Hey, maybe I actually figured it out, is it Ab Eb Db Eb?

Boz0r fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jun 20, 2012

the tingler
Jul 15, 2009
Yes, and I would play the Eb and Db 1st inversion, aka the "Keith Richards" inversion.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Is anybody going to the Great American Guitar Show in Oaks, PA this weekend? I figure I'll be there at least Saturday, maybe Sunday too. I went a few years ago when it was out in Valley Forge, it was a lot of fun. That's when I picked up my 5-string banjo.

Manky fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jun 21, 2012

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
Does anyone know of a good easy to use, hopefully free or cheap, notation program for making chord charts? I have 6 days to learn 30 songs for a series of performances for a musical and they always give me really crappy non guitar friendly multi-page charts and I want to make my own.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

HollisBrown posted:

Does anyone know of a good easy to use, hopefully free or cheap, notation program for making chord charts? I have 6 days to learn 30 songs for a series of performances for a musical and they always give me really crappy non guitar friendly multi-page charts and I want to make my own.

Pencil and paper.

I really wish I was kidding.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
http://www.guitarchords247.com/

I have no idea how good this is, but I've heard it mentioned once.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
I'd really like to cover Pink Floyd's In The Flesh! but I'm not really sure how to approach it. My typcial style as a musician is kinda avant-garde-ishy metal type stuff but I don't know if that kind of style will just come off really dumb or forced. I mean, I've never really covered a song in a way that will radically change its style. How do you approach something like that? Or should I just shut up and have at it?

That's not even mentioning vocals. I can't sing like Roger Waters at all, my voice is more similar to Gilmour's but in a higher register. I know I'll have to adapt my voice to the song but I'm having trouble coming up with ideas for how I'll do that.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

cat doter posted:

shut up and have at it

Dive right in and don't get hung up over differences in register and whatnot. Whatever idiosyncrasies you impart on the track will only serve to make it yours. No point covering a song if it's going to sound the same as the original.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
One of the switches on my Marshall JVM410 footswitch doesn't work, and also, my Crybaby cuts the sound when I push down to activate it. Where can I get replacement parts for these, and what parts do I need in Europe?

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
I've got a 10 y/o Taylor 614 that's in desperate need of a new nut (I think). It buzzes on the D and G Strings horribly on the first 3 frets, and everyone tells me that would be the fault of the nut.

My question is, am I best just order a new nut from Taylor and assume it'll be cut right for this guitar since I presume all Taylors are built to the same specs? Or do I take it someone to get a custom nut cut for it?

And before it get's suggested, I have neither the confidence or the proper tools to make one myself.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
It's going to need to be cut and trimmed by the installer anyhow. Trick is to try to get one about the right thickness.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
Taylor sells them precut and they look pretty much ready to install. I don't mind sanding if it needs sanded a hair but I don't want to get into cutting the slots.

http://www.taylorguitars.com/taylorware/Item.aspx?itemid=1025&categoryid=1009&page=2

How much extra work would this need?

Crudus
Nov 14, 2006

I think you've got a good grip on it, that nut might need a little sanding but it looks ready to play otherwise. An alternative would be to take your guitar to any decent local shop. I think when I had my bass's nut replaced in high school it probably cost about ten bucks for them to glue in a blank and cut the channels to the proper width for the strings I used.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

HollisBrown posted:

Taylor sells them precut and they look pretty much ready to install. I don't mind sanding if it needs sanded a hair but I don't want to get into cutting the slots.

http://www.taylorguitars.com/taylorware/Item.aspx?itemid=1025&categoryid=1009&page=2

How much extra work would this need?

Slots should be fine. Perhaps a tiny amount of sanding, but I'm pretty sure you'll be able to replace it without having to do do any extra work.

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010
How is the interest for collaboration albums? I.E we put down a deadline, people submit their own music (one track for each artist) and when the deadline is over we put it on bandcamp and post it in GBS? Sort of like the current rockstar events, except it is original music from all the talented goons. :)

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Greggster posted:

How is the interest for collaboration albums? I.E we put down a deadline, people submit their own music (one track for each artist) and when the deadline is over we put it on bandcamp and post it in GBS? Sort of like the current rockstar events, except it is original music from all the talented goons. :)

Dunno if something like that has been done before but something like this could be really cool. Maybe make it a themed thing or something?

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

Greggster posted:

That's a cool idea. Having a theme (or maybe even a loose genre) would definitely be good, so that the album is not just random songs.

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

Dunno if something like that has been done before but something like this could be really cool. Maybe make it a themed thing or something?

FLX posted:

That's a cool idea. Having a theme (or maybe even a loose genre) would definitely be good, so that the album is not just random songs.

Having a theme is a great idea, I've done this on a few other forums but never did it cross my mind that having a theme could be a cool thing to do! Any thoughts or ideas on what kind of theme would be good? I'm thinking partying as a theme, mostly because it is summer and all that. :)

Dan Hollis
Jun 16, 2006

Surprise!!!
Do a "Pink Floyd/Wizard Of Oz" thing where you break down a famous movie into a dozen or so parts and have people create songs that match those scenes.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Everybody should cover Mungo Jerry's "In The Summertime" in the style of whatever song was #1 on the charts the week they were born :v:

e: Totally meant to post that in the rockstar thread

Manky fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jul 9, 2012

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

There has to be an audio device setting or something I'm missing here, hope you guys can help me out:

I got a Behringer UCA-222 USB audio interface thingamajig so that I'd have at least something else than my laptop's lovely line in input to work with. I've now managed to get to the point where I can record whatever is coming through my mixer through the UCA-222's USB into Audacity just fine, but I can't actually hear the audio input. If I plug my mixer straight into the line in, I can hear it.

I'm running Windows Vista, and I can't say I'm fluent with all these audio settings and things. I usually I just bumble around enough until I get stuff right, but this I can't seem to figure out.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Right click your speaker icon near the clock and choose Recording Devices, then find yr thing and click Properties, and try checking Listen To This on the Listen tab. If that doesn't work maybe setting it as the default recording device might help, but it might just be an issue with Audacity. You could try this

quote:

From the Transport Menu check "Software Playthrough" to be "on" to hear the turntable through the computer speakers; this setting can be toggled on/off easily from the Transport Menu.

From here
This too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

baka kaba posted:

Right click your speaker icon near the clock and choose Recording Devices, then find yr thing and click Properties, and try checking Listen To This on the Listen tab. If that doesn't work maybe setting it as the default recording device might help, but it might just be an issue with Audacity. You could try this

From here
This too

Appears the Listen tab is a Windows 7 thing, because I don't have one :( Setting it as the default recording device doesn't help, and neither does using the Software Playthrough option. It does enable monitoring the input while recording (while lagging horribly because you're not supposed to use it with stereo inputs), yeah, but it doesn't really fix my actual problem that the input doesn't seem reach the speakers. Not sure if it can be an Audacity problem because this also happens when Audacity is not open.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jul 12, 2012