Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force

LiquidRain posted:

vvvvv f/3.5-5.6 :eng99:

If they can genuinely make a pancake zoom that has a physical zoom ring and outputs decent quality (good enough for the NEX-7), I'd be all for it. Keep a couple primes for when you need a bigger aperture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarsellusWallace
Nov 9, 2010

Well he doesn't WANT
to look like a bitch!

moonduck posted:

If they can genuinely make a pancake zoom that has a physical zoom ring and outputs decent quality (good enough for the NEX-7), I'd be all for it. Keep a couple primes for when you need a bigger aperture.

I don't know a whole lot about microlens arrays, but why isn't there a tamron/sigma 17-50 f2.8 for e-mount? Sigma, atleast, can make autofocus, auto-aperture lenses for e-mount, what is stopping them from taking their f2.8 zooms and sticking a little extension on the contacts and mount, and selling it?

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

MarsellusWallace posted:

What is stopping them from taking their f2.8 zooms and sticking a little extension on the contacts and mount, and selling it?

Nothing. Or perhaps they don't think there's a market for it.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Edward IV posted:

Just to make sure, this is the Tamron lens I want, right? It's the only 17-50mm Tamron for Alpha-mount cameras that I could find on B&H.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/423718-REG/Tamron_AF016M700_17_50mm_f_2_8_XR_Di.html#pr-header-423718
Correct. As a somewhat more expensive plan B, you could consider this used Zeiss 16-80mm f/3.5-4.5. You trade the faster aperture for pretty fantastic image quality and a bit more range.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Samyang just announced a 8mm f/2.8 fisheye for E and NX mount.

http://photorumors.com/2012/06/11/samyang-8mm-f2-8-fisheye-lens-for-sony-e-and-samsung-nx-mounts-announced/

MSRP will be €349.99

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006
Here comes a special boy!

Cacator posted:

Eek, my E-M5 arrived at da camera store today, much earlier than I was expecting. Did anyone bother with the rebate Olympus was offering, or know if they still are honoring it due to the lack of supply?

Sounds like you're in the clear but I just wanted to add that I have twice (two times) mailed in rebates to Olympus late cos I'm dumb and gotten the stuff sent to me no problems. This is Olympus Japan, though.

Natrapx
Jan 13, 2010

The x is for xenogamy
I'm currently looking at a mirrorless to take on holiday next month. Its a once in a lifetime trip to America, and this gives me the perfect kick up the arse to get a decent camera.

Currently torn between the Panasonic GF3 and the Olympus E-PM1. GF3 gets me an extra lens for the same price, but from what I can tell the PM1 is a much better camera, especially with the image stabilisation. But I'm also up for any other opinions from goons with these, or anything else they would recommend around the £300 price point.

A lot of the reviews that I've seen so far tend to focus on the really technical points about these cameras, but all I'm really after is the day to day photography, with looking at some more technical stuff later on. Is there going to be much actual difference between a lot of these cameras at the real amateur level, or does it tend to be for the more professional shots?

All I want is some really great photos of the Rockies, Grand Canyon, national parks etc. that I'm going to, as my current P&S is pretty bad for most photos.

Thanks!

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

PBio posted:

All I want is some really great photos of the Rockies, Grand Canyon, national parks etc. that I'm going to, as my current P&S is pretty bad for most photos.

Thanks!

I can tell you that you'll definitely want a telephoto for those places.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Haha. Someone got the same idea for using fibre optic cable to trigger a flash on the NEX 5N just like I did a few months ago and for some reason it made the front page of PetaPixel. Except their solution is even less graceful than mine.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't know if the E-PM1 is a "much better" camera than the Panasonic. You're right that the biggest difference is the in body stabilization, along with the Panasonic having a touch screen. In body stabilization can be really nice, but all of Panasonic's zooms other than the super wide have very good in lens stabilization. You're only losing IS on the primes otherwise. As for the touchscreen, I really like having one on my G2 for choosing focus points.

I picked up my G2 for a trip too (mine was to Costa Rica) and brought along the kit lens, a telephoto, and a pancake 20mm. I wound up shooting 75% on the 20mm since, 20% on the telephoto, and, like, ten shots with the kit lens. The fast aperture of the prime was a big reason for me using it constantly. If I did it again I'd probably add a wider prime too. The places you're going, you might think about a really wide zoom for landscape shots.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty
Fun Shoe

powderific posted:

I don't know if the E-PM1 is a "much better" camera than the Panasonic. You're right that the biggest difference is the in body stabilization, along with the Panasonic having a touch screen. In body stabilization can be really nice, but all of Panasonic's zooms other than the super wide have very good in lens stabilization. You're only losing IS on the primes otherwise. As for the touchscreen, I really like having one on my G2 for choosing focus points.

I picked up my G2 for a trip too (mine was to Costa Rica) and brought along the kit lens, a telephoto, and a pancake 20mm. I wound up shooting 75% on the 20mm since, 20% on the telephoto, and, like, ten shots with the kit lens. The fast aperture of the prime was a big reason for me using it constantly. If I did it again I'd probably add a wider prime too. The places you're going, you might think about a really wide zoom for landscape shots.

If you wanna get rid of your kit lens I wouldn't mind snagging it if it was priced right ridiculously cheap.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

I guess while I'm at it, I could also use a wide-angle lens since the Tamron and Zeiss zoom lens has a slightly smaller angle of view than the 16mm pancake and I felt that even the 16mm wasn't wide enough.

Does anyone have any experience with the fisheye and wide-angle adapter for the Sony 16mm pancake? That is, does it make the 16mm less of a lovely lens? I heard that Sony removed some lens elements from what became the 16mm to make it a pancake lens and that these adapters puts those removed elements back. I only ask about the fisheye because I already got one as a present.

Edward IV fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 13, 2012

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Actually the fisheye and wide-angle adapter make the 16mm pancake have even worse image quality. It is incredibly blurry outside the centre. I have the 11mm out of necessity (no other 11mm E-mount) so... yeah. You are REALLY stuck using the LA-EA2 for quality lenses. Even more sadly, Tokina doesn't make the 11-16mm f/2.8 for Alpha mount. :(

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Miso Beno posted:

If you wanna get rid of your kit lens I wouldn't mind snagging it if it was priced right ridiculously cheap.

I might take you up on that at some point as I barely use it despite it being pretty decent all around. It's just not big enough aperture for most of what I want to shoot. I'll shoot you a PM after I think about it.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
There is the new Samyang/Rokinon 8mm fisheye if fisheye is your thing.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Just bought a Minolta MD 28mm f2.8 to go along with my 50mm f1.7 MC Rokkor and 135mm f3.5 Minolta Celtic. I think I'm set for lenses for a while. I think I've spent maybe $75 total for those + the adapter rings.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

LiquidRain posted:

Actually the fisheye and wide-angle adapter make the 16mm pancake have even worse image quality. It is incredibly blurry outside the centre. I have the 11mm out of necessity (no other 11mm E-mount) so... yeah. You are REALLY stuck using the LA-EA2 for quality lenses. Even more sadly, Tokina doesn't make the 11-16mm f/2.8 for Alpha mount. :(

Are you referring to this lens?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/687279-REG/Tokina_ATX116PRODXS_11_16mm_f_2_8_AT_X_116.html

However, I don't know if I can justify getting both the Tamron and the Tokina with the LA-EA2 for my Disney trip this autumn. I suppose I could make do with just the Tamron. But then again, I don't know if the Tamron will be wide enough, particularly for the firework shows. Since I'm already settled on the Tamron, I'll buy it sooner rather than later and get a feel for it before deciding on whether I need anything else.

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

If you have any other LTM or M mount lenses, the voigtlander 12mm is pretty great for UWA.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Edward IV posted:

Are you referring to this lens?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/687279-REG/Tokina_ATX116PRODXS_11_16mm_f_2_8_AT_X_116.html

However, I don't know if I can justify getting both the Tamron and the Tokina with the LA-EA2 for my Disney trip this autumn. I suppose I could make do with just the Tamron. But then again, I don't know if the Tamron will be wide enough, particularly for the firework shows. Since I'm already settled on the Tamron, I'll buy it sooner rather than later and get a feel for it before deciding on whether I need anything else.
:O I didn't know Tokina put out an Alpha mount! Hm! And yes that's the one I'm referring to. It's an amazing lens.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
:woop: Just got my E-PM1 in today. Focuses faster than my Pentax K20 with either the 16-45mm or 100mm Macro lens which is pretty awesome. I shoot mostly light tent stuff or event stuff, and it seems like this will be leaps and bounds better than my previous kit.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

dietcokefiend posted:

:woop: Just got my E-PM1 in today. Focuses faster than my Pentax K20 with either the 16-45mm or 100mm Macro lens which is pretty awesome. I shoot mostly light tent stuff or event stuff, and it seems like this will be leaps and bounds better than my previous kit.

E-pm1 is a great camera, lose the factory strap though, its poo poo. We got a gordys strap and a aki-asahi leather skin and its so much nicer to use.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I'm sure I'm crazy, but maybe you nice camera goons can tell me I'm not crazy...or confirm I AM crazy and deter me from my crazy antics.

Originally, I was thinking og picking up an S95 from the recommendations in the P&S thread (a refurb one direct from Canon.)

Then I read about 'Compact System Cameras', found this thread, and, welp, here I am with the following items in my Amazon shopping cart, awaiting me to click "Place My Order.':

Olympus E-PL1 (From an Amazon Retailer, much cheaper, but no lens at all.)

Panasonic Lumix 14-40mm Lens (From what I can tell, the same lens included with the PL1 if you order direct from Amazon, but getting the lens-less camera above plus the lens separately is cheaper.)

Pansonic Lumix 14mm/f2.5 Lens

That last lens is what I'm really waffling on...I mean, I don't really need that yet, do I? I'm just starting out, so I probably shouldn't be going overboard...so I guess we'll nix that 14mm lens.

So now the question is, should I get the PL1 + that cheaper lens for ~$250, or a refurb S95 from Canon for ~$230.

Fake edit: Ok, I can't find the refurb S95 listed on the Canon site anymore. this was the link but it's dead now.

So I guess maybe I'll have to decide between the EL1 or the S100?

SupahCoolX
Jul 2, 2005
Get the 14mm lens on eBay for $160. You won't be sorry.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

The older 14-45 kit lens is better than the 14-42. Look for one of those instead. Recently they were clearancing GF1 with 14-45 kits here for barely more than the used price of a GF1 body alone.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Guess who has a 45/1.8. :D

Also, drat Olympus for taking cues from Canon in not including the lens hood and selling it separately for a ridiculous sum.

For fun, my 1Ds II + 85/1.8 weighs 1975 grams.

E-M5 + 45/1.8 541 grams.

Yeah, you get shallower DOF with FF, but still, 1/4 of the weight and the optics of the 45 are just fantastic. I am still getting used to being able to shoot wide open with no worries about sharpess on my m43 primes.

Clayton Bigsby fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jun 18, 2012

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Also, drat Olympus for taking cues from Canon in not including the lens hood and selling it separately for a ridiculous sum.

That's why god invented eBay.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Guess who has a 45/1.8. :D

For fun, my 1Ds II + 85/1.8 weighs 1975 grams.

E-M5 + 45/1.8 541 grams.
This is why I'm so happy now that I can carry around the E-M5 with 3 primes in the same space that I carried a DSLR and 1 prime. For much less weight too!

What other lenses did you get by the way?

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

alkanphel posted:

This is why I'm so happy now that I can carry around the E-M5 with 3 primes in the same space that I carried a DSLR and 1 prime. For much less weight too!

What other lenses did you get by the way?

I have the 45 and the 20. Since the 14 is so cheap now (GF3 + 14mm kits being dumped and parted out) I might add that too.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Clayton Bigsby posted:

I have the 45 and the 20. Since the 14 is so cheap now (GF3 + 14mm kits being dumped and parted out) I might add that too.
You should, I have the 14 and it performs wonderfully, even wide open (which I rarely use it wide open anyway). Definitely a super value for money lens, and it's even smaller and thinner than the 20!

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

Fuji press release for their lens roadmap, almost makes me want to ditch my NEX-5N (which I really love).

http://www.fujirumors.com/full-fuji-lens-roadmap-and-press-release/

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Studebaker Hawk posted:

Fuji press release for their lens roadmap, almost makes me want to ditch my NEX-5N (which I really love).

http://www.fujirumors.com/full-fuji-lens-roadmap-and-press-release/

An f/2.4? :confused:

mes
Apr 28, 2006

It's just a half stop between f/2.0 and f/2.8, which isn't common in modern lenses but I have a fixed lens film rangefinder which goes to f/1.7.

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

I'm looking forward to the 21mm and 35mm equivalents. The 27mm that is out now doesn't really work for me, not wide or tight enough.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Mest0r posted:

It's just a half stop between f/2.0 and f/2.8, which isn't common in modern lenses but I have a fixed lens film rangefinder which goes to f/1.7.

"In-between" stops aren't that weird. Panasonic's20mm pancake is f/1.7, and Pentax has a 35/2.4 on the market as well.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

Clayton Bigsby posted:

"In-between" stops aren't that weird. Panasonic's20mm pancake is f/1.7, and Pentax has a 35/2.4 on the market as well.

1.8 is a between stop too.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Aren't those things completely arbitrary anyway? Sure there is a standard but if they can make a lens 1.7 instead of 2.0 why not go for it?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Well I learned something today.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

spankmeister posted:

Aren't those things completely arbitrary anyway? Sure there is a standard but if they can make a lens 1.7 instead of 2.0 why not go for it?

Exactly. Also, the f-stop is not an accurate indication of how much light actually gets through either, you have to look at the t-stop for that.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
edit: dumb question wrong place

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jun 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
Get a light meter and it can give you readings in tenths of a stop.