Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

pure white eyes look 100% more weird and unnatural than off-white eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
But not as weird as dead grey eyes.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.
Yeah i'm not saying make them pure white, i'm saying make them a natural shade. If that is the natural color of the whites of your eyes, I think you may be ill.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Here's my very quick take. It took about 2 minutes in PS.

Animated Steps:

I think what could have been better during the shoot especially is the lighting on the chest. It looks very burnt in comparison to the rest of her skin.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

Dick Danger posted:

There's a huge community of girls in my city that wear these super poofy dresses everywhere. Usually I just shoot candid street shots of them during commutes, so it was fun to do proper shoot with some of the girls.
Melbourne?

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.

psylent posted:

Melbourne?

Melbourne fashion scene rocks.
You get fashion shows like this, which is where I saw Dick Danger's designer I'm pretty sure.

Krelas
May 14, 2007

Be there none left on Earth but you,
one thing will still remain true...

^ There's lots of them in Sydney, too.

I'm wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of a good guide or online class on post processing portraits in regards to doing split-toning and creating those rich, low contrast film looks?

I know all the controls to split-tone and play around with contrast, curves etc but it never looks quite right when I try.

Some of you, in particular xenilk, seem to have it completely mastered and I was wondering if you could point me in the right direction to learn?

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.
As far as split toning goes, I've always admired DrewShoots for his ability to use fantastic split toning while maintaining rich tones.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/optimus_prime/sets/72157607941501057/

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

A lot of that is having good raw files to work with and processing for the image. You just need to get super comfortable with curves and even using different curves on different image selections.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Exactly. You can clearly tell he used a curves layer on the water to bring up blue in the shadows, and he left the girl completely masked out with no blue in the shadows.
Edit: he's actually kind of sloppy with a few images. The water near the horizon has been left out with no blue in the shadows, so it's kind of inconsistent.

He takes good photos, and using very good looking models doesn't hurt.

bobmarleysghost fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jun 28, 2012

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Yeah, the more you look the more you can see some flaws. His lighting is good. It never hurts when you've got great locations and models too.

I would murder a kitten to shoot in Florida or California.

I'd really love to see one of these CA/FL photographers shoot a girl in a lovely flat in East London like I have to.

I don't mean to put them down, he's definitely good but gaaah. Frustrating that I don't have access to stuff like that :(

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

Paragon8 posted:

Yeah, the more you look the more you can see some flaws. His lighting is good. It never hurts when you've got great locations and models too.

I would murder a kitten to shoot in Florida or California.

I'd really love to see one of these CA/FL photographers shoot a girl in a lovely flat in East London like I have to.

I don't mean to put them down, he's definitely good but gaaah. Frustrating that I don't have access to stuff like that :(

You can crash with me if I can crash with you... Of course Ohio doesn't have the beaches, but we have sunlight!

Niagalack
Aug 29, 2007

No half measure.

Cyberbob posted:

As far as split toning goes, I've always admired DrewShoots for his ability to use fantastic split toning while maintaining rich tones.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/optimus_prime/sets/72157607941501057/

*drools at the models*

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Paragon8 posted:

You have soft natural light most of the year, stop bitching.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

You have soft natural light most of the year, stop bitching.

Shooting ISO 400+ to get faster shutter speeds than 1/100 outside isn't fun.

It's flat and grey and nobody working here actually likes it. I've shot in the mediterranean and it was just like easy mode.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Paragon8 posted:

Shooting ISO 400+ to get faster shutter speeds than 1/100 outside isn't fun.

It's flat and grey and nobody working here actually likes it. I've shot in the mediterranean and it was just like easy mode.

Try being a landscapist in the pacific northwest, at least you people shooting people can go inside. :toot:

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last
The grass is always greener on the other side isn't it? I live in Southern California with endless sunshine, but not on the coast and all I want is to be by the water and greenery.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Paragon8 posted:

Flat grey skies make for wonderful even portrait lighting, very flattering on most people with just a reflector.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
I try and schedule my shoots around a heavy overcast layer. Direct sunlight suuuuucks. Thankfully I get plenty of that in SF. Sounds like I will in London, too! :haw:

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
A few more, mostly snapshop-like things where I'd been stretching the legs on the new camera.

Untitled by thetzar, on Flickr

Amarides by thetzar, on Flickr

Ms Montgomery by thetzar, on Flickr

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

I really like this.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

What's the lighting setup on this?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

David Pratt posted:

Im going to guess a beauty dish head on, a ring light would have left more of a visible ring shape in the eye, and possibly either a reflector or a second light to the left because that side of her face is brighter than the right.

ass is my canvas
Jun 7, 2003

comin' down the street
One of those tiny ring lights like the Orbis or something.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

David Pratt posted:

It actually IS a ringlight; an Alienbees one I borrowed. However, I shot from far enough away that the characteristic ring didn't form in her eyes.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".

thetzar posted:

A few more, mostly snapshop-like things where I'd been stretching the legs on the new camera.

Ms Montgomery by thetzar, on Flickr

Echoing that this is great :) One day I'll have to try out a ringlight, seems fun.

Here's one of mine, been awhile.

IMG_9248 by avoyer, on Flickr

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard
Again with the scalping?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Hahahaha that sleeve.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".

Jiblet posted:

Again with the scalping?

I think it's fair play, nothing about the hair worth showing. ;P

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard

xenilk posted:

I think it's fair play, nothing about the hair worth showing. ;P

Fair point, well made; though I think she'd disagree :p

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
I'm usually okay with cut off heads but the framing and overall capture are really awkward.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

crop it tighter. like mid forehead

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

Paragon8 posted:

crop it tighter. like mid forehead

Like so?

IMG_9248-2 by avoyer, on Flickr

edit: reframed it a little bit better I think

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Eh the original was fine.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Now that I'm comparing, the first one makes her head look huge because of her hair. The second is better.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

Eh the original was fine.

Maybe if shot from a lower angle it would've been better but I would not have been happy if I was given that shot of myself.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

maybe something like this

I think it's fundamentally ok

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
I've never really done any portrait shooting before, and my gf was happy to indulge me one morning. Any thoughts?

(This is a scan of a print, so the tones for some reason are coming up a bit flatter than they really look).

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

A lot of kids are in my life right now. My niece just turned one and my friends kid is getting so big. I swear they have unlimited energy. o_o;;

lucas by francography, on Flickr

lucas2 by francography, on Flickr

351B1040 by francography, on Flickr

somnambulist fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jun 30, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Danger
Oct 13, 2010

Gee Gee Baby Baby
I've been really keen to shoot lately, even the meager upgrade to a 50mm prime has been a huge motivation.
Had a bit of a rainy day shoot today. Given I'm still working without a flash I had to work around dull rainy day natural light which I'm certainly not used to. I'm reasonably happy with what I got out of today but it was a huge reminder I have a lot to learn about composition.

Adventure 3 by dick town, on Flickr

Adventure 6 by dick town, on Flickr

Adventure 5 by dick town, on Flickr

Dick Danger fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jul 1, 2012