Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
n3rdal3rt
Nov 2, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Well that was a long 171 pages, lol, but I'm finally caught up. It's been an interesting read and picked up some good pointers along the way.
I started Aikido and Jujitsu about 7 months ago. Got my Aikido yellow belt about a month ago and my Jujitsu yellow belt yesterday. I feel like I got the hell beat out of me at my belt test and according to the bruises today, I did.
I'm really enjoying the sweaty ground hugging (in a non-gay way or as non-gay as it can be).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

All gay or no way

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

Xguard86 posted:

just go Iceman Style: put your back to a wall, flip your watch over your knuckles and knockout anyone who comes within range.

Is there video of this?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
No it's a story from the early days of the ufc. Some huge fight broke out at a bar where some fighters were hanging out and chuck had a pretty good plan. No idea where I first read it.

CivilDisobedience
Dec 27, 2008
It's a tough thing because there are a whole range of martial arts, from norules&sport applicable to sport only to street only (even exhibition only).

I think the most widely-applicable arts are judo, wrestling, sambo, etc, because they facilitate high-mobility grappling and encourage brief engagements. They can legitimately claim to teach self defense.

It's when an art has specialized to the point of being comfortable with only certain ranges or attacks that I raise an eyebrow at their claim to self defense instruction, because smart opponents will just refuse to play their game. For example, kicking boxers in the knees, staying on your feet vs bjj, luring muay thai/kickboxers into groundfighting, etc. There are sport answers to these problems in each case, but in norules environments stuff like that will force you to fight very slowly and carefully, and that's a serious disadvantage. Speed really is 'the great equalizer' and getting pinned down (not necessarily in the literal sense) usually spells doom.

E: Not saying more specialized martial artists can't fight outside their comfort zone, just saying my money's on the guy with a full toolbox and the mind to use it.

CivilDisobedience fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jun 25, 2012

Polyrhythmic Panda
Apr 8, 2010
I suppose self defense classes could be useful as a supplement to combat sports training, I was thinking more along the lines of one or the other.

CivilDisobedience posted:

It's when an art has specialized to the point of being comfortable with only certain ranges or attacks that I raise an eyebrow at their claim to self defense instruction, because smart opponents will just refuse to play their game. For example, kicking boxers in the knees, staying on your feet vs bjj, luring muay thai/kickboxers into groundfighting, etc. There are sport answers to these problems in each case, but in norules environments stuff like that will force you to fight very slowly and carefully, and that's a serious disadvantage. Speed really is 'the great equalizer' and getting pinned down (not necessarily in the literal sense) usually spells doom.

I seriously doubt an attacker in a self defense scenario is going to have the wherewithal to identify someone as a boxer and be able to set up and land effective leg kicks before getting his nose broken.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

CivilDisobedience posted:

E: Not saying more specialized martial artists can't fight outside their comfort zone, just saying my money's on the guy with a full toolbox and the mind to use it.

You missed the part where most street fights involve one or more idiots with a completely empty toolbox throwing huge overhand rights or shoving the other guy before retreating several meters to taunt some more.

I think most people who train any sort of practical martial art can appreciate how dangerous an uncontrolled fight actually is and will bend over backwards to avoid it. I walked out of my first BJJ session where they let me roll thinking "Holy gently caress. That guy could kill me if he wanted to." There's no way to tell who that guy is when you're just walking around so the only safe mindset is to assume that everybody is that guy and respect that fact by doing whatever you can to avoid conflict.

That and if you find out someone is a great boxer or kickboxer in an actual fight, it's probably because someone's head just got hit clean off their shoulders. There's no time to work that sort of thing out and come up with game plans.

FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

AlphaDog posted:

Watch Royce Gracie's 10 minute instructional video on belt tying. Its hilarious.

You mean Rener? His belt tying video, like all of his Youtube videos, is awesome.

Illumination
Jan 26, 2009

Any boxers here wear boxing shoes? I've just been wearing some cross trainers and I've developed a nasty callus/blister on the ball of my right foot so I'm thinking I need to get some different shoes.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I think self defence/defensive tactics classes would be a cool thing for MMA gyms to offer. Just like, one hour a week as a supplement to all your other training.

Make it invitation-only or set a minimum skill level requirement or something to stop untrained people from joining in, though, because if they came in for just the one class each week it would probably defeat the point.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Illumination posted:

Any boxers here wear boxing shoes? I've just been wearing some cross trainers and I've developed a nasty callus/blister on the ball of my right foot so I'm thinking I need to get some different shoes.

I just switched a couple months ago from running shoes to boxing boots. It feels a lot better to have ankle support and stuff, but when I switched it felt like the ball of my right foot was trying to slide off the in-sole of the boot, if that makes any sense. They're comfortable now.

Because of the smooth sole, ropework is a lot easier. The rope gets caught less than it did on the nubs all over the soles of my running shoes. I haven't noticed a conscious difference in sparring because I'm usually concentrating on other things.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Smegmatron posted:

I think most people who train any sort of practical martial art can appreciate how dangerous an uncontrolled fight actually is and will bend over backwards to avoid it. I walked out of my first BJJ session where they let me roll thinking "Holy gently caress. That guy could kill me if he wanted to." There's no way to tell who that guy is when you're just walking around so the only safe mindset is to assume that everybody is that guy and respect that fact by doing whatever you can to avoid conflict.

This. After originally training SD for 6 months, the thing I mostly learned is that don't ever gently caress with anyone because you just don't know.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

FreakyMetalKid posted:

You mean Rener? His belt tying video, like all of his Youtube videos, is awesome.

Doh. Yeah I mean Rener.

I'm terrible at names :(

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Xguard86 posted:

No it's a story from the early days of the ufc. Some huge fight broke out at a bar where some fighters were hanging out and chuck had a pretty good plan. No idea where I first read it.

The story is from Matt Hughes biography: http://www.mmamania.com/2007/12/28/matt-hughes-recalls-streetfight-between-tito-ortiz-and-lee-murray-in-2002/

Sadly, the part about Chuck's watch was apparently only that he removed it, not used it as impromtu knuckle dusters: http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f2/chuck-liddell-i-took-my-watch-off-started-dropping-people-741601/

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

http://youtu.be/slPCq_jq8Is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slPCq_jq8Is

Look at that leg work!

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I would go to a self defense type class if offered, it would be an interesting supplement to straight bjj.

Thanks for linking the story,I remember all this stuff but can never find it again.

Illumination
Jan 26, 2009

mewse posted:

I just switched a couple months ago from running shoes to boxing boots. It feels a lot better to have ankle support and stuff, but when I switched it felt like the ball of my right foot was trying to slide off the in-sole of the boot, if that makes any sense. They're comfortable now.

Because of the smooth sole, ropework is a lot easier. The rope gets caught less than it did on the nubs all over the soles of my running shoes. I haven't noticed a conscious difference in sparring because I'm usually concentrating on other things.

Yeah I'll check out ringside soon and see what they have

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Self defense is pretty neat, and I like to take a class now and then just to not forget how to fight/scuffle with either bare hands, or grappling gloves and no wraps. I can never wear a wedding ring in my left hand again because of blocking kicks barehanded though. I posted having had to fight some guys who jumped me slightly over a year ago, and even though I punched them for a bit I credit that nobody broke his arm, knuckles, ribs or their face to the fact I've trained SD with little or no hand protection and knew how to prime my strikes. Yep, even in a sudden, chaotic brawl so I guess the training has sunk in. (I was only very slightly drunk at the time, I think I had 3 pints.)

So, uhh, I guess I'm saying I have personal anecdotal evidence that suggests taking self defense can be useful in the real world! After the thing was over, I was also even more sure than I was before that I never want to fight anyone. High level grappling where you build chokes or locks isn't cool when there's more than one guy who is coming at you, and repeatedly punching someone and seeing him not stop his attempts to attack even though his face is changing appearance fast is pretty gruesome. Booze/drugs/adrenaline make people pretty much ignore punches that don't knock them straight out if they really want to fight. And hard body shots that can drop someone aggressive can also break ribs, and you end up having to pay the bill or at least get to visit the court. It's just such a no win situation for everyone involved.

I admit feeling some satisfaction about the fact the I train obviously helped me out, I was able to use some grappling and they couldn't do anything about a, say, takedown, and they couldn't hit me - and I could hit them when I chose to - but otherwise it was terrible FYI if someone on the thread now never read the story and wonders about it.

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Haha he sounds kind of conceited. He's really good, though

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
Striking Chat:

Getting more confident sparring! Feeling not as overwhelmed when I get hit with long combos, clinching more often, and actually HITTING more often! Important part about the latter - I'm getting confident actually hitting people which means I have now reached the "Sorry" phase I guess.

I don't drop a "Sorry" when punching or kicking normally, but I still feel bad if I unintentionally block a knee/kick with an elbow or another knee. I'm sure there are people that block this way intentionally to gently caress the other person up, whereas for me it is entirely an accident, and I can't help but apologize!

Everyone was like "Dude, don't worry about it" which led to more apologizing for apologizing. I relaxed a bit more, and will continue to do so, but there is something so ingrained about apologizing for hurting someone that I clearly need to work on getting over, even when it's accidental.

I'm getting better at not caring about being hit after the first round, but I admit that the first round after 4 days off I unintentionally spun in a circle to avoid getting a punch in the face. I wasn't even trying a back-fist or kick or block or anything, he went to punch me and I literally did a pirouette. :negative:

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Never tell the pro kickboxer he's an assranger and you can take him because he's out of practice, even if you know it'll make him giggle like a ten year-old girl. He'll laugh and then give you a black eye :(

The lawyers at the courthouse were taking bets on whether i was an abused spouse.

PelirrojoLoco
Sep 19, 2004
Canadian Psycho

As someone who's only taken 2 or 3 submission classes this looked really drat impressive. Is this kind of thing normal for high level grapplers or is he just really good? Very cool either way.

Office Sheep
Jan 20, 2007
I don't think this has been posted yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBHK-2ZHbag

There's a million things that could have gone terribly wrong for everyone in this video. I feel pretty embarrassed for everyone in the video and the comments are racist as hell. I normally wouldn't post something like this but the video is a pretty interesting change up from nearly every real fight video on youtube.

One part I particularly noticed is that once the grappler has the fight dominated he doesn't know what to do because he doesn't want to hurt the other guy. No one calls the cops. No one responds to his pleas for help.

Polyrhythmic Panda
Apr 8, 2010
Should've put his nuts in his mouth.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

PelirrojoLoco posted:

As someone who's only taken 2 or 3 submission classes this looked really drat impressive. Is this kind of thing normal for high level grapplers or is he just really good? Very cool either way.

I like to use no arms against people who are way under my level and it's surprising how much control and domination you can have even without using your arms at all. I do it because it helps me focus on my hips movement and legs and that's really the most important part of ground work in my opinion, especially if you like to work of your back like I do.

It's kind of absurd to see someone being able to completely dominate (and even pull off a submission) on a purple belt without using his arms though. That's a whole other level that I didn't know was even possible.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.
That video is stupid in that he let him tap out so many times. Seriously, put him to sleep, and just walk away. Why would you let him tap and then let him go after he sucker punched you so many times? Christ.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

swagger like us posted:

That video is stupid in that he let him tap out so many times. Seriously, put him to sleep, and just walk away. Why would you let him tap and then let him go after he sucker punched you so many times? Christ.

Primarily, because he's surrounded by a crowd of people running on adrenaline who clearly consider this to be an inappropriate course of action. The average person probably isn't aware it is safe to be choked out, and someone might even think he was dead. And as a bonus, the legal ramifications are questionable.

For my money, here's the smart thing to say. "EVERYONE LISTEN UP. In the next fifteen seconds at least two people need to volunteer to help me control this man when I let him up. If nobody volunteers I'm going to put him out, which is quite safe but I'd rather avoid it. If anyone has a problem with that, speak up now."

To be honest though, I'd never have come up with that speech under pressure. Hell, I'm not sure I'd remember it if I got in a fight tomorrow, to say nothing of shouting it over that crowd. But it's easy to criticize anything less.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
Things I learned in BJJ today; taking an extended break hurts a shitload more than sucking it up, discarding whatever pathetic excuse you just came up with and going to class anyway.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Smegmatron posted:

Things I learned in BJJ today; taking an extended break hurts a shitload more than sucking it up, discarding whatever pathetic excuse you just came up with and going to class anyway.

I find that depends largely on why you take that extended break. I've had to take some breaks once every so often just to keep myself motivated and hungry for more manhugging, because it'll eventually start to feel a bit too much like work and routine and less like something I do because I love it.

Because it's summer and everyone is either on vacation or going home, we're going from four classes a week to two- mixed with a work schedule from hell, I'm pretty much on a forced jits hiatus until sometime early august.
Time to ramp up on my roadwork and lifting to compensate. For the sake of variety I've been doing this lately: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byp5SB5r6H8

A couple of rounds of that completely destroys me to the point of uselessness, but it's fun!

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Awesome training today. I felt like someone had cast my hands on stone according to to speed they moved (six strike combos should loving land in 1 second, not 3?!) and I was also weak as hell... One of those days.

Maybe tomorrow is better with more magnesium, food, sleep and water. I should go boxing early and get my face punched in.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
gently caress I'm a lazy slobs these days! Had to take a break from conditionning because I was working too much and had 0 time left and now that I have time again I have trouble getting back into it.

I was wondering if anyone here did sandbag training? I have a army surplus store close by and for 20 to 30$ I could get myself a sturdy duffel bag and 80 pounds of builders sand and use that for some conditioning once a week or so. Does anyone has a nice routine to recommend? It's mostly for conditioning. I do good old regular resistance training and a little bit of olympic style lifting already but I'm always looking for fun ways to work on conditioning. Doing running intervals and such gets boring fast and sandbag has the added bonus that I could do it at work at the end of some of my shifts and in my apartment on rainy days (well, everything that doesn't involve throwing the bag and running around with it anyway). It seems to me that it would probably be great for grappling.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Was doing bag work while the boxing sparring class was meeting. Man, one of the tall guys has such slow hand speed. It motivated me to up my hand speed even more.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
were u @ my practice d00d

Lt. Shiny-sides
Dec 24, 2008

KingColliwog posted:

gently caress I'm a lazy slobs these days! Had to take a break from conditionning because I was working too much and had 0 time left and now that I have time again I have trouble getting back into it.

I was wondering if anyone here did sandbag training? I have a army surplus store close by and for 20 to 30$ I could get myself a sturdy duffel bag and 80 pounds of builders sand and use that for some conditioning once a week or so. Does anyone has a nice routine to recommend? It's mostly for conditioning. I do good old regular resistance training and a little bit of olympic style lifting already but I'm always looking for fun ways to work on conditioning. Doing running intervals and such gets boring fast and sandbag has the added bonus that I could do it at work at the end of some of my shifts and in my apartment on rainy days (well, everything that doesn't involve throwing the bag and running around with it anyway). It seems to me that it would probably be great for grappling.

Sandbag training is great for grapplers, especially when used for conditioning. Read up on Ross Enamait's stuff, he is all about sandbag training. The best advice I got from his stuff is to put the sand in lots of ziplock bags and then toss those in the duffel bag. It keeps thing clean and let's you adjust the load easily. Before that I was using a garbage bag inside the bag and it was always falling apart. For conditioning think about doing lots of caries rather than lifts since you are already doing barbell stuff.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Lt. Shiny-sides posted:

Sandbag training is great for grapplers, especially when used for conditioning. Read up on Ross Enamait's stuff, he is all about sandbag training. The best advice I got from his stuff is to put the sand in lots of ziplock bags and then toss those in the duffel bag. It keeps thing clean and let's you adjust the load easily. Before that I was using a garbage bag inside the bag and it was always falling apart. For conditioning think about doing lots of caries rather than lifts since you are already doing barbell stuff.

I went through his website quickly and haven't found much routine/exercises to do. Great tips on how to make a good sandbag though. Will definitely go for the many ziplock bags approach.

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4

KingColliwog posted:

I like to use no arms against people who are way under my level and it's surprising how much control and domination you can have even without using your arms at all. I do it because it helps me focus on my hips movement and legs and that's really the most important part of ground work in my opinion, especially if you like to work of your back like I do.

It's kind of absurd to see someone being able to completely dominate (and even pull off a submission) on a purple belt without using his arms though. That's a whole other level that I didn't know was even possible.

I also like to do drills like this. We'll do it sometimes as a warm-up as a guard passing drill (guy with hands in belt is trying to retain guard). I'd like to think I'm very good with just my legs and hips also, but there's no question he was on another level in that video. He also may be conceited, but he's also right... that was a gnarly reverse triangle and I appreciate his art like a surfer appreciates a great wave.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Home for 2 weeks and want to keep training Muay Thai. About to take a gamble at (what seems to be) a local McDojo. Y'know. Flashy website, "blackbelt academy," contracts, "10 days free!"

:ohdear:

I'm real surprised they have MT. It's a farcry from my hole in the wall gym but hey, we'll see. I just hope they let me work out a deal for 2 weeks and don't try to force some contract on me.

n3rdal3rt
Nov 2, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Question for the Judo crowd (or any throwers for that matter). What is the advantage of using Uchi Mata https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O93a4H5dEis vs Harai Goshi https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gzk4M3OA0U? I would think that if you're positioning in the same way it would be better to trap both legs instead of just one. Is the Uchi Mata really just for if uke steps really far out with the front leg? Please forgive my ignorance.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

The mcdojo line gets blurrier all the time because real schools like money too and adopt a lot of that marketing style. Not saying that particular gym is legit or not, just general observation.

Lloyd irvine is the king of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Yeah, I guess I can see why you'd want some suburban mom to enroll her 8 kids and not worry much about the hoodrats that probably can't handle contracts. Ces't la vie

• Locked thread