Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lolitas Alright!
Sep 15, 2007

This is your friend.
She fights for your freedom.

crankdatbatman posted:

Has it been established that 11/22/63 is connected to the Dark Tower? If so, whoa...

Well, in 11/22/63, Bev and Ritchie show up from "IT" They ask Jake if he is "from the Turtle" or something like that. Takuro Spirit cars are also mentioned in the hosed up 2011 Jake created, and there are recurrences of 19 showing up. Pennywise is also a psychic vampire like Dandelo from DT, and there's a mention of Jake seeing a dude beat a dog to death and he KNOWS the guy is going to feed the dead dog to something in a drainpipe... probably Pennywise. So yes, distantly, but it does have definite tie-ins.

Junkenstein posted:

This touches upon a thought I've always had about the end of DT. Roland can't bear being sent back to the start of The Gunslinger, but between the fall of Gilead and where we first meet him, he's been travelling for, what, hundreds of years? The time it takes him to get from the desert, form the ka-tet and travel to the Dark Tower is just a little bit of piss in the ocean. I don't know what he's complaining about, really.

Well, we don't actually know how long he's been going. If you wanna be picky about it and you want to use the time travel logic as explained in 11/22/63, the Dark Tower is constantly resetting Roland back to the same minute, just in a different time string. So he's been traveling for approximately the length of the 7 book series, just over and over again! :j: And it would depend on whether he remembers that he's been doing this over and over again, as far as what his reaction would be. But then, I'm pretty sure if he knew it was all cyclical and has ended with him failing every time, he would have given up long ago.

Then again, he did a LOT of poo poo before getting to the desert but still part of his quest for the Dark Tower. In "The Wind Through the Keyhole" you meet a dude who's like 120 years old but he's still spry as gently caress, so only God knows how old Roland actually is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Lolitas Alright! posted:

I don't know if I'm remembering this correctly, but doesn't Roland actually notice and go "Hey, I have the loving Horn now! I never lost this thing in the battle!" Vorgen's theory of an outside force makes more sense that way, because Roland's forgotten that he made it to the Dark Tower a billion times already, but SOMEHOW is permitted to remember that he had lost the Horn at one point and suddenly has it again.

Roland mentions that he had a sense of vertigo and that he had sort of a waking dream of the horn being lost, but of course that's bullshit because he never lost the horn. He even remembers picking it up after Jericho Hill.

As for Roland's age, he tells the Tet that he's been traveling over a thousand years. He mentions that in the same passage where he says that sometimes he skips from age to age like a seagull flying over the ocean and only touching the tips of the waves (or some simile like that). So who knows if that's how old he thinks he is, or if that's the year difference between when he started traveling and when he was then.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Soysaucebeast posted:

Roland mentions that he had a sense of vertigo and that he had sort of a waking dream of the horn being lost, but of course that's bullshit because he never lost the horn. He even remembers picking it up after Jericho Hill.

As for Roland's age, he tells the Tet that he's been traveling over a thousand years. He mentions that in the same passage where he says that sometimes he skips from age to age like a seagull flying over the ocean and only touching the tips of the waves (or some simile like that). So who knows if that's how old he thinks he is, or if that's the year difference between when he started traveling and when he was then.

I'm starting to think that he and Jake were basically experiencing the same thing, just that he's sorta lost it after so long.

I'm thinking the top of the tower is similar to the back of the diner. Oh wait a second... let's say Jake went through the portal back to 1958, then lived his life all the way to 2011 and went to the diner on the same day and time he first stepped through it. Yes, he'd be really old, but just for the sake of argument. What would happen? Would he go back to 1958 again? Since he was still part of that time and didn't technically "return" to 2011, would the reset still happen? Maybe that's what's happening to Roland. He makes it to the point where he gets sent back, and makes it there again, over and over. Cue weird time fuckery and you have his ancient age and seemingly hosed memory.

:psyduck:

Also,

I always got the feeling that Roland was just off in a lot of ways. There is the possibility that he remembers everything and just keeps it to himself to try and get through the loop again until he reaches the point he wants to do differently. Doing that a few hundred times would drive anyone crazy.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Jealous Cow posted:

I'm starting to think that he and Jake were basically experiencing the same thing, just that he's sorta lost it after so long.

I'm thinking the top of the tower is similar to the back of the diner. Oh wait a second... let's say Jake went through the portal back to 1958, then lived his life all the way to 2011 and went to the diner on the same day and time he first stepped through it. Yes, he'd be really old, but just for the sake of argument. What would happen? Would he go back to 1958 again? Since he was still part of that time and didn't technically "return" to 2011, would the reset still happen? Maybe that's what's happening to Roland. He makes it to the point where he gets sent back, and makes it there again, over and over. Cue weird time fuckery and you have his ancient age and seemingly hosed memory.

:psyduck:

I'm pretty sure that the way time travel is in the book that there would be another version of him in the diner that day (unless he messed with the timeline in such a way that he would affect the life of the other version of him).

It's also made clear that Jake still ages in a linear fashion, no matter what timeline he's in. That doesn't seem to be the case with Roland.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Lolitas Alright! posted:

Well, in 11/22/63, Bev and Ritchie show up from "IT" They ask Jake if he is "from the Turtle" or something like that. Takuro Spirit cars are also mentioned in the hosed up 2011 Jake created, and there are recurrences of 19 showing up. Pennywise is also a psychic vampire like Dandelo from DT, and there's a mention of Jake seeing a dude beat a dog to death and he KNOWS the guy is going to feed the dead dog to something in a drainpipe... probably Pennywise. So yes, distantly, but it does have definite tie-ins.

I've never read the DT series, so I don't have the insight, but I'm still reading most of those as IT tie-ins. Yeah, I know about the Takuro Spirit and what it is; but it still seems more like an easter egg than anything else. This type talk seems to be much more higher echelon like the connection has been established and not just relying on fancy (which it totally fine of course, I just look at it as missing this whole other realm to a book I thoroughly enjoyed and am hoping I didn't miss a huge point).

facebook jihad fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jun 24, 2012

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Lolitas Alright! posted:

More explicitly than that, Jake has an actual psychic conversation with IT. IT tempts him to come down into the sewers and that perhaps another portal is down there. He doesn't go, but he is experiencing proof that Bev and Ritchie's crew didn't really kill IT, and yet there's no possible way that he can communicate this to them. It is actually extremely tragic.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Vorgen posted:

More explicitly than that, Jake has an actual psychic conversation with IT. IT tempts him to come down into the sewers and that perhaps another portal is down there. He doesn't go, but he is experiencing proof that Bev and Ritchie's crew didn't really kill IT, and yet there's no possible way that he can communicate this to them. It is actually extremely tragic.

I didn't catch that logic as I read IT after. Wow that is sad :(

Jealous Cow fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jun 25, 2012

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Vorgen posted:

re: IT, The Losers knew they didn't kill him as kids (you find that out on like page 1 of the book, so no, it's not getting spoiled). They knew they were lying to themselves and just hoping it died (oh, it's injured it will probably just die of its wounds). The question is if IT survives later, not from the 60s to the 80s, since you know ITs alive in that time (which Dreamcatcher and Tommyknockers say "yes" to)

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

Darko posted:

The question is if IT survives later, not from the 60s to the 80s, since you know ITs alive in that time (which Dreamcatcher and Tommyknockers say "yes" to)
Wait, Tommyknockers? I've been meaning to reread this one; how does It show up?

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

jackpot posted:

IT was pretty drat pissed off by the ship crashing there if I remember correctly.

Lolitas Alright!
Sep 15, 2007

This is your friend.

crankdatbatman posted:

I've never read the DT series, so I don't have the insight, but I'm still reading most of those as IT tie-ins. Yeah, I know about the Takuro Spirit and what it is; but it still seems more like an easter egg than anything else. This type talk seems to be much more higher echelon like the connection has been established and not just relying on fancy (which it totally fine of course, I just look at it as missing this whole other realm to a book I thoroughly enjoyed and am hoping I didn't miss a huge point).

The thing is, if they're tie-ins to one book that has an established role in the DT mythos, then it counts as a DT tie-in as well. DT is all-encompassing, never ending. THERE ARE NO EASTER EGGS IN THE WORLD OF THE DARK TOWER. ALL THINGS SERVE THE BEAM. But in all seriousness, the fact that the kids immediately know that Jake serves the Turtle makes it enough of a DT tie-in for me.

Pretty much, I think the real question at this point is: what books AREN'T somehow DT books? At least 30 of Stephen King's novels (according to the Wiki page) have some sort of DT tie-in, whether it's a major plot point to the story, or whether it's just a brief mention of something that ties in to the rest of the series, somehow.

Though I think some of them are grasping pretty hard at straws. "Well obviously 'Firestarter' is a tie-in because the girl's name is Charlie and 'char' is the word for 'death' in Dark Tower! And Charlie kills some guys with her fire powers!"
:goonsay:

jfjnpxmy
Feb 23, 2011

by Lowtax

jackpot posted:

Some of the alien/villagers go to get batteries in Derry, and one of them sees a clown with silver eyes grinning at them from a sewer.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Jealous Cow posted:

IT was pretty drat pissed off by the ship crashing there if I remember correctly.

Nothing wrong with a little healthy competition...

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Lolitas Alright! posted:

The thing is, if they're tie-ins to one book that has an established role in the DT mythos, then it counts as a DT tie-in as well. DT is all-encompassing, never ending. THERE ARE NO EASTER EGGS IN THE WORLD OF THE DARK TOWER. ALL THINGS SERVE THE BEAM. But in all seriousness, the fact that the kids immediately know that Jake serves the Turtle makes it enough of a DT tie-in for me.

Pretty much, I think the real question at this point is: what books AREN'T somehow DT books? At least 30 of Stephen King's novels (according to the Wiki page) have some sort of DT tie-in, whether it's a major plot point to the story, or whether it's just a brief mention of something that ties in to the rest of the series, somehow.

Stop falling for Mindtraps!

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

jfjnpxmy posted:

Some of the alien/villagers go to get batteries in Derry, and one of them sees a clown with silver eyes grinning at them from a sewer.
Well drat, I completely forgot about that, and I've read that book half a dozen times.

I've seen Tommyknockers get poo poo reviews for one reason or another (mostly because King was admittedly dead drunk when he wrote it), but I always loved it. Everybody's jacked up inventions were just too much fun. Thought-reading typewriters! Artificial-sun water heaters! Flying Coke machines! Awesome stuff.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

jackpot posted:

Well drat, I completely forgot about that, and I've read that book half a dozen times.

I've seen Tommyknockers get poo poo reviews for one reason or another (mostly because King was admittedly dead drunk when he wrote it), but I always loved it. Everybody's jacked up inventions were just too much fun. Thought-reading typewriters! Artificial-sun water heaters! Flying Coke machines! Awesome stuff.

And love him or hate him, Jim Gardener is one of King's all time best-written characters, right up there with Jack Torrance and Larry Underwood.

edit: And Paul Sheldon.

Gallatin
Sep 20, 2004

jackpot posted:

My favorite part was the cassette player with a "Send" button added!

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
ALL the G.I. Joes!

I must confess that I really dig The Tommyknockers. It's a book that could stand to be chopped down in size just a bit, but there's something about it that I really like. Probably Gard; there's something morbidly amusing about the drunken mess of a man being the rational one not going crazy thanks to magic spaceship gas.

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know
I just finished Tommyknockers a few days ago, and I liked it, although I found I had to skim some of the non-essential parts. I get what you're saying King, no need to blather on about it for another 2 pages. But I liked it overall and it was an interesting enough idea. Gard is awesome. Do people actually pay to hear poetry though? That was bugging me the whole time through. But yeah, it was decent and had some memorable moments. I also have the miniseries and it pales by comparison to the book of course.

I also finished Desparation and the Regulators some time ago, and when I finish the novella Langoliers I'll be done with my re-read except for the books I couldn't find like Carrie. Hoping I'll find them soon and be done with the whole mess.

A robot named Rooty Toot seems beyond silly.

Now I only need Carrie, 11/22/63, Under the Dome, the ones with Straub, Eyes of the Dragon, Colorado Kid, Insomnia, and a couple of others and I'll have read all of his mass market novels/short story/novella collections.

Lolitas Alright!
Sep 15, 2007

This is your friend.

when worlds collide posted:

I just finished Tommyknockers a few days ago, and I liked it, although I found I had to skim some of the non-essential parts. I get what you're saying King, no need to blather on about it for another 2 pages. But I liked it overall and it was an interesting enough idea. Gard is awesome. Do people actually pay to hear poetry though? That was bugging me the whole time through. But yeah, it was decent and had some memorable moments. I also have the miniseries and it pales by comparison to the book of course.

I also finished Desparation and the Regulators some time ago, and when I finish the novella Langoliers I'll be done with my re-read except for the books I couldn't find like Carrie. Hoping I'll find them soon and be done with the whole mess.

A robot named Rooty Toot seems beyond silly.

Now I only need Carrie, 11/22/63, Under the Dome, the ones with Straub, Eyes of the Dragon, Colorado Kid, Insomnia, and a couple of others and I'll have read all of his mass market novels/short story/novella collections.

"The Colorado Kid" pissed me off so drat much. It's really lackluster in comparison to all the other books of his I've read. I know he was going for something new but... man I expected way more than I got.

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know

Lolitas Alright! posted:

"The Colorado Kid" pissed me off so drat much. It's really lackluster in comparison to all the other books of his I've read. I know he was going for something new but... man I expected way more than I got.

It's that bad? I hadn't even heard of it until I was looking for which books that I missed, and the brief synopsis didn't seem too bad. I did see a short review somewhere that bashed it though. It's not high on my list but I do admit I want to read it because curiosity.

Satisfaction won't bring that one back then aye? :D

Lolitas Alright!
Sep 15, 2007

This is your friend.

when worlds collide posted:

It's that bad? I hadn't even heard of it until I was looking for which books that I missed, and the brief synopsis didn't seem too bad. I did see a short review somewhere that bashed it though. It's not high on my list but I do admit I want to read it because curiosity.

Satisfaction won't bring that one back then aye? :D

Eh, it's a short book, but the resolution of the plot leaves something to be desired. If you read fast, I'd say go ahead, but if it's something you'd be investing a lot of time into, I'd say skip it and read a plot summary.

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know

Lolitas Alright! posted:

Eh, it's a short book, but the resolution of the plot leaves something to be desired. If you read fast, I'd say go ahead, but if it's something you'd be investing a lot of time into, I'd say skip it and read a plot summary.

I read very fast, around 100 pages per hour so it wouldn't be a huge waste of time or anything for me. I just won't pay full price so I'll have to find it in one of my thrift shop incursions. If it's 1-3 bucks I don't mind losing out if it really sucks. But I may never find a copy there, so I was considering getting it from amazon, but I think I'll just wait and watch for it in the junk shops thanks to your recommendation and others I've seen online.

I did read that it was a precursor or related to that tv show Haven. I haven't even watched that one yet, and don't know if it's any good or not. I watched the first episode but my attention was not really there, I should probably give it another go.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Lolitas Alright! posted:

Eh, it's a short book, but the resolution of the plot leaves something to be desired.

That's sort of the point.

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?
I'm finally reading the Talisman after a couple of false starts months ago where I put it down before getting through the first couple of chapters. I'm really enjoying it so far and I'm near the end. It is for sure throwing off a lot of quest for the dark tower vibes but I don't remember if it predates the DT series or if it is one of those "you should read all of these other books with tenuous ties to my wildly popular Dark Tower series, constant readers" type of books. I'm choosing to believe it just has a number of parallels to the DT series so that it doesn't taint my enjoyment of the story.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Chance II posted:

I'm finally reading the Talisman after a couple of false starts months ago where I put it down before getting through the first couple of chapters. I'm really enjoying it so far and I'm near the end. It is for sure throwing off a lot of quest for the dark tower vibes but I don't remember if it predates the DT series or if it is one of those "you should read all of these other books with tenuous ties to my wildly popular Dark Tower series, constant readers" type of books. I'm choosing to believe it just has a number of parallels to the DT series so that it doesn't taint my enjoyment of the story.

It wasn't conceived as a Dark Tower tie in, but has a lot of similar ideas in it.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Chance II posted:

It is for sure throwing off a lot of quest for the dark tower vibes but I don't remember if it predates the DT series or if it is one of those "you should read all of these other books with tenuous ties to my wildly popular Dark Tower series, constant readers" type of books. I'm choosing to believe it just has a number of parallels to the DT series so that it doesn't taint my enjoyment of the story.
If you want to see DT parallels you can find them in The Talisman (Speedy), but I think it was written before King started weaving the DT into his stories. Its sequel Black House, on the other hand, makes it clear that that world is definitely tied to the Dark Tower. I haven't read it in a while, but I really enjoyed Black House.

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?
The similarities I've seen haven't felt shoe horned in so I figured that it was more of a proto dark tower story rather than something with DT hooks thrown in after the fact. The biggest thing is that the Dark Hotel and the Talisman being described as an axle of the worlds and Jake's goal stands out as a direct parallel to Roland's quest for the dark tower.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Chance II posted:

The similarities I've seen haven't felt shoe horned in so I figured that it was more of a proto dark tower story rather than something with DT hooks thrown in after the fact. The biggest thing is that the Dark Hotel and the Talisman being described as an axle of the worlds and Jake's goal stands out as a direct parallel to Roland's quest for the dark tower.

Back when people still cared about DT connections, it was theorised that the Talisman was essentially the same as the DT etc. but then, you know, Mindtraps and all that.

Vogler
Feb 6, 2009
I've only read one half of a Stephen King book. It was called 'Dreamcatchers', and I hated it. I'd like to give him one more chance, for some reason, but I don't want to leaf through something which spine holds more than 700 pages. Preferably not more than 400. And the book has to be scary. Thank you.

Edit: Hey, maybe I'll read The Langoliers.

Vogler fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jun 27, 2012

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Vogler posted:

I've only read one half of a Stephen King book. It was called 'Dreamcatchers', and I hated it. I'd like to give him one more chance, for some reason, but I don't want to leaf through something which spine holds more than 700 pages. Preferably not more than 400. And the book has to be scary. Thank you.

Salem's Lot

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Vogler posted:

Dreamcatcher is in the running for King's worst book. It's bad.

The Langoliers owns. Also get The Mist.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

ConfusedUs posted:

Dreamcatcher is in the running for King's worst book. It's bad.

The Langoliers owns. Also get The Mist.

Is The Mist a book now? Can I nominate Jerusalem's Lot as being shorter and more Lovecrafty (spooky if eldritch rats really get you going) than the aforementioned Salem's Lot?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

JustFrakkingDoIt posted:

Is The Mist a book now? Can I nominate Jerusalem's Lot as being shorter and more Lovecrafty (spooky if eldritch rats really get you going) than the aforementioned Salem's Lot?

I think there was a standalone "The Mist" volume when the movie came out.

If not, get the collection it's a part of. Thing's a third of the book anyway.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Vogler posted:

The Long Walk or The Shining.

I don't remember a page count on The Shining, but it's arguably his scariest. The Long Walk isn't traditionally scary, but it's one of the few that nearly everyone agrees is darn good.

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know
The Shining isn't that long, probably around 3-400 pages.

Dreamcatcher is BAD. That and Gerald's Game were the only ones I couldn't finish. I made it about 150 pages into GG, and managed to stumble halfway through DC, but I put them down and utterly refused to give them another go. DC was the first book he wrote after his accident, so I'm going to blame that.

The Shining is my vote, but Salem's Lot is also good, and Langoliers is totally great. I just finished it last night/this morning. I wish it was longer than 200 pages.

Dead Zone is also really good, and I also really liked Firestarter although I typically am not interested in his 'magical mystery kids' books. Maybe I like that one because he wrote it when he was high.

Stephen King has an obsession with cigarettes, children, and loves the words 'eldritch' and 'rictus'. You will find those elements in virtually every single book he has written save one or two.

Vogler
Feb 6, 2009
What about retards?

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.
Definitely either The Mist or The Shining.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
What about chambray work shirts and arc sodium lights?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know
Yup! But most of all, that man wants to smoke so badly.