Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Lost in Translation is quite a nice movie about Bill Murray, Scarlett Johansson in her prettiest role ever, loneliness, and not understanding Japanese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Color me surprised, Boy Wonder was really good. Not just me that thinks so either, Ebert gave it 3.5 stars.

I was expecting a generic superhero flick, and ended up having a proto-Scorsese thoroughly entertain me.

The writer/director is going to go on to great things.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

Lost in Translation is quite a nice movie about Bill Murray, Scarlett Johansson in her prettiest role ever, loneliness, and not understanding Japanese.

2nd favorite movie of all time, right here. Hauntingly beautiful in parts; probably one of the most bittersweet films I have seen.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I would definitely call it one of my all-time favorites as well, it's one of those films I can keep going back to and never get tired of. Despite the movie's cold, lonely atmosphere I find it to be very inviting and an absolute delight to digest. And those last five minutes.. :negative:

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

a kitten posted:

In one of the various bizarre unsolved mysteries threads that pop up occasionally on SA I saw some stuff about the Toynbee Tiles which popped up in various cities in the US in the early 80s as well as some showing up in South America. They were imbedded in the asphalt and contained a message about the dead being resurrected on Jupiter.

Mostly they were/are around Philly and Baltimore; I actually saw one near South street in Philadelphia in '96(or so) although I just assumed it was a weird art thing and hadn't heard of them before that.

The reason I'm posting about it here is because I just watched the film Resurrect Dead: The Mystery of the Toynbee Tiles: a documentary where some guys set out to see if they can solve the mystery of who it is that has been sticking these things around all these different places. What they find is that there's been several other people who've tried and failed to track him/them down; these guys have better luck than all the others who've tried before they did though.

Because of the rather odd message on the tiles I was moderately worried it was going to be full of pseudoscience and assorted :tinfoil: bullshit: it's not and it turned out to be a really fascinating documentary.

Just watched this, that was really drat interesting. Thanks for pointing it out for us.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I don't get Comedy Central so I had never seen the show before, but Workaholics is drat funny (if you are in the demographic, which I am).

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax
We've been watching Spaced to kill time until new shows start up again. It's got Simon Pegg and Nick Frost and has been great so far.

It is also interesting to see exactly how much of the late nineties they were able to condense in one show.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations is a pretty funny "cooking" show where Anthony Bourdain travels the world looking for food, smoking, cursing and drinking until he falls over. It's light entertainment for when you're in the mood for a travel show where the host isn't afraid to make himself look like a fool. I quite like it.

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

cornface posted:

We've been watching Spaced to kill time until new shows start up again. It's got Simon Pegg and Nick Frost and has been great so far.

It is also interesting to see exactly how much of the late nineties they were able to condense in one show.

Everyone should see this show. One of the funniest television series I've ever seen. Each episode is jam packed with pop culture references. So fun to watch.

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Battle Royale and Battle Royale 2 were just added to Netflix. Really great Japanese movie that everyone should check out. I have vague memories of the second one but I don't think it was as critically acclaimed as the first one. Either way they are pretty fun films with an interesting plot.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
Comcast/Xfinity bitch: Hatfields and McCoys was available to watch last week and now that I want to see it, it's not. Horseshitttt

Forum Hussy
Feb 8, 2005
Season 2 of Louie was added sometime this past week, it's pretty great.

Club Sandwich
May 25, 2012

Gordong Dongbay posted:

Battle Royale and Battle Royale 2 were just added to Netflix. Really great Japanese movie that everyone should check out. I have vague memories of the second one but I don't think it was as critically acclaimed as the first one. Either way they are pretty fun films with an interesting plot.

The second has some of the most overblown, preachy dialogue ever. The first one, however, is a great watch.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Crowley posted:

Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations is a pretty funny "cooking" show where Anthony Bourdain travels the world looking for food, smoking, cursing and drinking until he falls over. It's light entertainment for when you're in the mood for a travel show where the host isn't afraid to make himself look like a fool. I quite like it.

it's not a cooking show, it's a travel show about food. :colbert:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Forum Hussy posted:

loving finally. I had kept getting my hopes up when it said "Seasons 1-2", even though S2 was on disc.

Merou
Jul 23, 2005
mean green? :(

Saint Sputnik posted:

Comcast/Xfinity bitch: Hatfields and McCoys was available to watch last week and now that I want to see it, it's not. Horseshitttt

I just moved somewhere that Comcast/xfinity is the only choice, does it affect whats on netflix?

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Merou posted:

I just moved somewhere that Comcast/xfinity is the only choice, does it affect whats on netflix?

Netflix gets things later than Comcast, e.g. Top Gear seasons. I think rule of thumb is Netflix doesn't get things that arean't already out on DVD. They both seem to have an overlap with Redbox but mainly the poo poo movies.

I was pissed about Hatfields and McCoys disappearing because my girlfriend is actually from the Hatfield family. She spent a couple hours poking around with the ancestry and was excited to see the movie but nope.

MacGowans Teeth
Aug 13, 2003

Forum Hussy posted:

Rules. Way back when, I saw the first episode and was unimpressed. Much later I saw the very next one and I'm glad I did, because it's amazing. I've been waiting for season 2 to show up for ages.

Coffee Wolf
Oct 12, 2007

Mmmmm Banana

Merou posted:

No, they have their own on-demand stuff I think is what was being referred to. Because I sure have no problem being on comcast.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Sizzler Manager posted:

Rules. Way back when, I saw the first episode and was unimpressed. Much later I saw the very next one and I'm glad I did, because it's amazing. I've been waiting for season 2 to show up for ages.

That was my exact reaction as well. I only started watching it recently when my brother, who'd also seen the first episode and stopped there, said that he'd watched the next few episodes with his friends and love them, suggested I give it a second chance. All this is just to say: If you watched the first episode of Louie and didn't like it, give the show a second chance and continue watching. It gets awesome.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

dik-dik posted:

it's not a cooking show, it's a travel show about food. :colbert:

Fair enough. I still like it. :colbert:

Crotchbat
Aug 11, 2003

Flied Lice?

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Color me surprised, Boy Wonder was really good. Not just me that thinks so either, Ebert gave it 3.5 stars.

I was expecting a generic superhero flick, and ended up having a proto-Scorsese thoroughly entertain me.

The writer/director is going to go on to great things.

I just watched it upon the recommendation of the thread, and thought it was great.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Light Gun Man posted:

Just watched this, that was really drat interesting. Thanks for pointing it out for us.

Do they figure it out? I hate blue balls mystery/detective shows.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

wormil posted:

Then you'll hate The Killing unless you already have AMC.

Season one is up, and highly watchable, but they don't bother to resolve the mystery until the second season.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

wormil posted:

re: Resurrect Dead
The answer to your question:
They make a really, really strong and compelling case for it being a particular person, but he turns out to really not want to talk to anyone and very probably mentally ill so they leave him alone. Everything they uncover points right to it being him though.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

a kitten posted:

They make a really, really strong and compelling case for it being a particular person, but he turns out to really not want to talk to anyone and very probably mentally ill so they leave him alone. Everything they uncover points right to it being him though.

I was just about to post that this is available now. Colin Smith in the movie is a friend of piratescurvy and I.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Then you'll hate The Killing unless you already have AMC.

Guess I should have specified documentaries like the infamous Al Capone's Vault or the one where they run the little robot into the tomb of some pharaoh.

a kitten posted:

Thanks, that actually isn't too bad.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

nunsexmonkrock posted:

I was just about to post that this is available now. Colin Smith in the movie is a friend of piratescurvy and I.

I helped record his band Red Devil back in '05 and got back in touch with him after seeing the movie and recognizing him. Asked where I could buy the record, he ended up mailing me a ton of free poo poo and even remembered the nickname they had come up with for me.

Colin Smith: Class act.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I didn't see it mentioned:

If you're like me and didn't care to see Thor when it came out, but liked The Avengers and want to fill in the gaps, Thor is on there now.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

a kitten posted:

Yeah, I'd say that they definitely know it's him, insofar as knowing is possible, but he's a sad, messed up guy and they don't want to hurt him. I was glad for the recommendation, though--these guys did their footwork. I was really impressed.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
The Safety of Objects is a fascinating film that tells the story of four suburban familes and the ways their lives are interconnected.

The film weighs in at just under two hours, and I'll admit that during some scenes, I had a bit of trouble figuring out which of the seventeen main characters I was looking at (namely the husbands, because of an abundance of camera shots that obscure their faces or only show the back of their heads), but context usually clears it up.

Glenn Close does a wonderful job as a single mother who is tasked with caring for her comatose son (Joshua Jackson, in some of the finest coma acting I've ever seen).

War, Inc. is one of my current favorites. Look at this lineup--John & Joan Cusak, Marisa Tomei, John Goodman, Ben Kingsley, and Hilary Duff!

The film is a satire in which John Cusak plays an assassin that works for a multinational private military contractor, and has been hired to assassinate an oil baron who is visiting a made-up middle-eastern nation for an arms convention. I'd say more but I don't want to ruin a single thing about this hilarious romp.

theSpokeyDokey
Jul 19, 2005
I was really disappointed with the way Season 2 of Louie ended.

It started out very funny and everything I come to love about Louie C.K.'s comedy but then a lot of the humor kinda teeters off into a collection of extremely awkward situations that are more uncomfortable than they are funny.

I get that his humor is about how life is just poo poo all the way through and he's really big on his character taking hit after hit and never catching a break, but you have to leave something for the audience to hang on to so they just don't give up on the character and walk away.

Found myself saying "Jesus Louie, come on."

Jellymouth
Jul 9, 2009
Fun Shoe

Crowley posted:

The best part about this show is in the title. He basically drops himself into the setting with a camera crew and no predetermined location or plan at all. Ya know, no reservations. If you're like me and hate touristy stuff then this show really lets you see the real side of the cuisine and culture in the places he visits.

To contribute: The Thief and the Cobbler is available instantly. You really need to see it if you haven't. Its truly a masterpiece of animation.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Jellymouth posted:

The best part about this show is in the title. He basically drops himself into the setting with a camera crew and no predetermined location or plan at all. Ya know, no reservations. If you're like me and hate touristy stuff then this show really lets you see the real side of the cuisine and culture in the places he visits.

To contribute: The Thief and the Cobbler is available instantly. You really need to see it if you haven't. Its truly a masterpiece of animation.

Prepare to be disappointed. This is the completely dismembered version with the awful Matthew Broderick voice-over.

Watch this instead:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0y7vNxGpa7E

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
Watched Michael Mann's Thief on the recommendation of this thread and loved it - great crime thriller, worth your time. (starring James Caan)

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

protobyss posted:

I was really disappointed with the way Season 2 of Louie ended.

It started out very funny and everything I come to love about Louie C.K.'s comedy but then a lot of the humor kinda teeters off into a collection of extremely awkward situations that are more uncomfortable than they are funny.

I get that his humor is about how life is just poo poo all the way through and he's really big on his character taking hit after hit and never catching a break, but you have to leave something for the audience to hang on to so they just don't give up on the character and walk away.

Found myself saying "Jesus Louie, come on."

Well the good news is there is no continuity in the show. Each episode is a self-contained universe that doesn't effect other episodes. See: Episode where he buys a mansion, and then it is never seen or heard from again.

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

Flippycunt posted:

Well the good news is there is no continuity in the show. Each episode is a self-contained universe that doesn't effect other episodes. See: Episode where he buys a mansion, and then it is never seen or heard from again.

Except that he didn't buy the mansion. They made it pretty clear that there was no way in hell he could afford it.

I started watching Bob's Burgers after someone recommended Jon Benjamin Has a Van (which is hilarious). It's an animated thing, and seems reasonably funny. I just can't get past Sterling Archer's voice coming out of another character. It's really strange.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Frank Rossitano posted:

Except that he didn't buy the mansion. They made it pretty clear that there was no way in hell he could afford it.

Yeah, and there is continuity. I mean, the event that happened at the end of the season (if I'm recalling correctly and it's the airport scene) was the result of events that started back in the first season.

Also, I'm sure I'm in the minority but the more dramatic and less comedic episodes are among my favorites. The USO episode and the young Louie at church episode both are fairly entertaining and light on the jokes.

I'm curious to see if they are going to do anything with his niece in this season.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Oh my god the Louie with Tom Noonan explaining Christ's suffering in excruciating detail was one of the most spellbinding bits of tv I've experienced in the past decade. I watched that whole thing with my jaw just hanging agape. Noonan rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Frank Rossitano posted:

At the end of the episode you see him moving into the mansion :confused:

Jibo posted:

Yeah, and there is continuity. I mean, the event that happened at the end of the season (if I'm recalling correctly and it's the airport scene) was the result of events that started back in the first season.

Also, I'm sure I'm in the minority but the more dramatic and less comedic episodes are among my favorites. The USO episode and the young Louie at church episode both are fairly entertaining and light on the jokes.

I'm curious to see if they are going to do anything with his niece in this season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adRTR-ifCbw

He's admitted multiple times in interviews that there's very little continuity in the show and each episode is a self-contained vignette.

• Locked thread