Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Experto Crede posted:

The issue is that for all intents and purposes, the same device with a new ROM appears to google as a new device. My sensation appears numerous times in my Google Music listings due to how often I swap ROMs.

Titanium Backup has a fix for this now (it'll restore your previous device id).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
Im having some issues rooting my Tmobile Galaxy Tab. I followed the intructions here but after flashing zImage and rebooting, the screen is stuck at the tmobile screen. Any tips?

http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/wiki/Samsung_Galaxy_Tab_%28GSM%29:_Full_Update_Guide

605-475-6968
Apr 10, 2010

Alright I am going to beg for some help here. I rooted my hspa+ gnex and every time I try to boot into recovery instead of getting clockwork mod recovery I get an open Android with a red triangle with exclamation point

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Slopehead posted:

Leave it alone, the default settings are fine so far. If you must insist on screwing with anything, re-run Supercharger since it doesn't actually configure itself in initial setup despite what Aroma launcher says.

SuperchargerV6 select Download, put it on your sd card and run it with Scriptmanager (make sure to tick off SU when installing V6) off the Market. Run 512 Ledded (balanced). Poof, your ram levels are now tweaked for optimal performance. z00m z00m.

Edit:
Not bad for almost 3 hours screen on time and a weird inability to go fully into deep sleep mode.

\/\/\/ Hit me up on IRC when you can I think I figured out how to solve your issues installing ADB.

I installed Supercharger V6, and my phone is definitely much faster, but it introduced an issue. It's super aggressive with killing background processes and, whenever I leave my SNES emulator to check a guide in my web browser, it kills the emulator process while it's running in the background. Is there a way I can tell it to never kill a certain process?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Is there a way to make rooted CM9 (Vibrant Nightly) automatically load USB when plugged into a computer?

I need to boot a computer with my phone's SD, and the BIOS loads before the USB Mass Storage on my phone does. Is there an app to make it "always on"? I tried one on the market but it didn't activate fast enough.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

The Downfall posted:

Alright I am going to beg for some help here. I rooted my hspa+ gnex and every time I try to boot into recovery instead of getting clockwork mod recovery I get an open Android with a red triangle with exclamation point

Sounds like you're getting the stock recovery, which means that either the clockworkmod flash didn't take, or you need to delete/rename /system/boot-from-recovery.p.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Zero VGS posted:

Is there a way to make rooted CM9 (Vibrant Nightly) automatically load USB when plugged into a computer?

I need to boot a computer with my phone's SD, and the BIOS loads before the USB Mass Storage on my phone does. Is there an app to make it "always on"? I tried one on the market but it didn't activate fast enough.

Why not just use a USB stick.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I installed Supercharger V6. It's super aggressive with killing background processes. Is there a way I can tell it to never kill a certain process?

I don't believe you can whitelist certain processes, however you might try a different preset. Aggressive can be well.....very aggressive. Try multitasking?

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jun 27, 2012

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The Downfall posted:

Weird. I just rooted my Gnex. Unlocked the bootloader etc. Checked superuser said it is working, but all my files are still here, despite the program telling me my stuff was going to get wiped.
Did you use a toolkit? If so it probably did the backup via ADB first then restored it after the bootloader was unlocked.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Slopehead posted:

I don't believe you can whitelist certain processes, however you might try a different preset. Aggressive can be well.....very aggressive. Try multitasking?

How do I switch presets? The script in the starter kit didn't give me any options for that.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Just run it again in Script Manager and select the appropriate numerical option in the drivers console section. Keep in mind I don't know if this will fix your issue since I don't know what phone you have, what setting you chose, or how large all the apps in question are. I've always used 512 (balanced) and it's been fine and never to aggressive.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

LastInLine posted:

Did you use a toolkit? If so it probably did the backup via ADB first then restored it after the bootloader was unlocked.

That may be the case, but there was also a specific set of circumstances that allowed this to happen. That's how http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1731993 came about, apparently. I'm not sure where the messy discussion thread is that spawned this. But, it is possible.

Edit: Ah, here it is: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1650830

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Alarbus posted:

That may be the case, but there was also a specific set of circumstances that allowed this to happen. That's how http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1731993 came about, apparently. I'm not sure where the messy discussion thread is that spawned this. But, it is possible.

Edit: Ah, here it is: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1650830
Do they ever determine the set of circumstances that allow it to occur? I'm genuinely curious.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
Just put in Superchargerv6 update 9 onto my phone. Do I have to run the script everytime I boot up the phone? Is there a way to make the script run automatically? Also, what's the script setting most people use (yes, dumb question i know)? I'm using SManager

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

LastInLine posted:

Do they ever determine the set of circumstances that allow it to occur? I'm genuinely curious.

Based on http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=27473433&postcount=158 he figured out how to manipulate it, but not the original reason why.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Alarbus posted:

Based on http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=27473433&postcount=158 he figured out how to manipulate it, but not the original reason why.
That's really interesting, thanks for posting!

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

No you don't have to run it every time you boot. Just run it once as superuser and the changes will be applied universally. Also, if you read the installation notes when it installs, there is a full owners manual that's thrown into one of your SD card folders.

The setting "most people use" would be dependent on how much system ram you have. The G2, having 512 will use one of the various 512 presets. I do not know what you would do should your device have more than 756mb ram since there aren't any presets out for devices of those size. I suppose the assumption is that this tweak package is for lesser devices whose manufacturers may have made bad ram level tweaks and anything over the max will have enough hardware to handle what's thrown at it.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Gyshall posted:

I'm running the latest AOKP with Franco.Kernel M4 on my Galaxy Nexus - I'm looking for ways to improve my battery life. I've got the extended battery, and searching XDA results in 200 pages of "BATTERY LIFE IS SUBJECTIVE AND CAN BE DIFFERENT FOR EVERYONE!" which I know. I'm just looking for good kernel/performance tweaks to hit the battery life sweet spot.

Best combination for me was M3 of Franco Kernel (M4 probably works too but I havent tried it) with an ondemand governer, auto back lighting, and 3g network only. I am on CM9 though.

The Downfall posted:

Sounds like you didn't get a recovery installed. Can you boot normally? Will the toolkit/adb detect your device on any setting? Any luck getting into the bootloader? You can PM me too if you'd like.

Bob A Feet fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jun 28, 2012

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

Slopehead posted:

No you don't have to run it every time you boot. Just run it once as superuser and the changes will be applied universally. Also, if you read the installation notes when it installs, there is a full owners manual that's thrown into one of your SD card folders.

The setting "most people use" would be dependent on how much system ram you have. The G2, having 512 will use one of the various 512 presets. I do not know what you would do should your device have more than 756mb ram since there aren't any presets out for devices of those size. I suppose the assumption is that this tweak package is for lesser devices whose manufacturers may have made bad ram level tweaks and anything over the max will have enough hardware to handle what's thrown at it.

I'm using a fully rooted HTC One S and I put it on the 1000 setting or whatever it was. I also purchased Busybox which I apparently needed. Didn't know about the user manual. Thanks for the heads up.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
Well I found a showstopping bug in Andromadus Mimicry. If you put a call on speakerphone and then turn speakerphone off, the microphone turns off and refuses to be turned back on. Since I do this fairly frequently, I guess it's back to gingerbread for me.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

LastInLine posted:

The most recent compatible CM version is 6. It runs on my test G1 just fine but I can't get to it right now to check things. Try downloading the CM6 version for your phone and verifying MD5, it sounds like you just have a bum download or one that was built incorrectly.

Downloaded CM6, renamed update.zip, rebooted to recovery mode, wiped data/factory reset, and hit alt-s to apply update.zip, and as soon as it gets to "Installing update..." it says "E: Can't find update script. Installation aborted. Press Home+Back to reboot."

I got CM6 straight from http://download.cyanogenmod.com/?type=stable&device=dream_sapphire. Not sure what's up. Do I maybe not have DangerSPL installed/set up correctly?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

TheTarrasque posted:

Downloaded CM6, renamed update.zip, rebooted to recovery mode, wiped data/factory reset, and hit alt-s to apply update.zip, and as soon as it gets to "Installing update..." it says "E: Can't find update script. Installation aborted. Press Home+Back to reboot."

I got CM6 straight from http://download.cyanogenmod.com/?type=stable&device=dream_sapphire. Not sure what's up. Do I maybe not have DangerSPL installed/set up correctly?
I'd have to look at the instructions again, it's been about a year since I hosed with a G1 but do you really have to rename it to "update.zip"? I thought you selected "Select ZIP from SD card" and picked out the zip from recovery, either clockwork or Amon-RA. (I always used Amon-RA.) Renaming and selecting Update.zip is for manufacturer updates, not custom ROMs.

Edit: It's also not a problem with DangerSPL. That basically just moves your system partition so don't gently caress with that in an attempt to fix it, you can really gently caress things up if you do the wrong thing.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Jun 28, 2012

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
If you've got a Galaxy Nexus, people have already baked together roms for the GSM and Verizon phones. I'm in the proccess of backing up my apps, I can't resist the temptation of Butter on my phone today. I'll report back with notes on flashing the Verizon build (LTE may or may not work, it's a little unclear, but I never use it anyway so no big deal).

605-475-6968
Apr 10, 2010

Penguissimo posted:

Sounds like you're getting the stock recovery, which means that either the clockworkmod flash didn't take, or you need to delete/rename /system/boot-from-recovery.p.

This just worked. Thank you!

To the gentlemen above. I used gnex toolkit

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

lelandjs posted:

If you've got a Galaxy Nexus, people have already baked together roms for the GSM and Verizon phones. I'm in the proccess of backing up my apps, I can't resist the temptation of Butter on my phone today. I'll report back with notes on flashing the Verizon build (LTE may or may not work, it's a little unclear, but I never use it anyway so no big deal).
Running the GSM version now. I'll warn you now, Awful Betamax breaks.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

LastInLine posted:

Running the GSM version now. I'll warn you now, Awful Betamax breaks.

I think that JB throws out the old browser webkit (which Awful is based on) in favor of the newer webkit that Chrome uses. Doesn't surprise me that doing so would break apps that use Webview.

Still... *double checks that his Nandroid is running*.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
It nstalled fine on my Verizon GNex, but one of the WiFi Tether apps are working yet. Back to ICS for me until that's resolved.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat
Do I need clockwork recovery to flash JB on my Verizon GNex?

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

lelandjs posted:

I think I can keep my pants on for this update for an official build, 4.0.4 has been treating me great, no need to dive into an early update that'll mess with some of the apps I use.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

deadwing posted:

I think I can keep my pants on for this update for an official build, 4.0.4 has been treating me great, no need to dive into an early update that'll mess with some of the apps I use.
As far as the phone goes this build is rock solid. It breaks apps that rely on WebView though, so no Awful Betamax at the moment but that's the point of getting this development build out early because the official update will break them too.

That said the speed and responsiveness is amazing, Google Now is pretty loving neat, and the notifications are really cool.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

LastInLine posted:

As far as the phone goes this build is rock solid. It breaks apps that rely on WebView though, so no Awful Betamax at the moment but that's the point of getting this development build out early because the official update will break them too.

That said the speed and responsiveness is amazing, Google Now is pretty loving neat, and the notifications are really cool.

I don't remember, do you have a GSM or CDMA?

Seems the CDMA version suffers from some wifi signal issues. Have you experienced that?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

rotaryfun posted:

I don't remember, do you have a GSM or CDMA?

Seems the CDMA version suffers from some wifi signal issues. Have you experienced that?
GSM here, wifi signal seems about the same to me meaning weaker than I'd like it but works well enough.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

LastInLine posted:

I'd have to look at the instructions again, it's been about a year since I hosed with a G1 but do you really have to rename it to "update.zip"? I thought you selected "Select ZIP from SD card" and picked out the zip from recovery, either clockwork or Amon-RA. (I always used Amon-RA.) Renaming and selecting Update.zip is for manufacturer updates, not custom ROMs.

Edit: It's also not a problem with DangerSPL. That basically just moves your system partition so don't gently caress with that in an attempt to fix it, you can really gently caress things up if you do the wrong thing.
I tried changing the update file name back to "update-cm-5.0.8-DS-signed.zip" and it just made the recovery tool even more confused. It appears that the recovery tool I'm using may be the problem. I'm using "Android system recovery utility Build: JFv1.42"
But I've looked at installing Amon-RA and the instructions I find for it all seem like a mixmash of Windows and Linux steps and I just don't trust them one bit. I also attempted to install ClockworkMod/Rom Manager, but the .apk doesn't do a thing when I select it from the browser download list on the phone.
So I have a rooted G1 with one recovery utility that needs to be replaced with another, probably Amon-RA. Anyone have a good link for Amon-RA installation download/instructions?

EDIT:
Here's exactly what my recovery screen says:
code:
Android system recovery utility
Build: JFv1.42

Home+Back - reboot system now
Alt+L - toggle log text display
Alt+S - apply sdcard:update.zip
Alt+W - wipe data/factory reset
Alt+B - nandroid v2.1 backup 
        (courtesy of Infernix
         and brainaid)
Alt+X - exit recovery and go
        to console

Organic Lube User fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jun 28, 2012

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

TheTarrasque posted:

I tried changing the update file name back to "update-cm-5.0.8-DS-signed.zip" and it just made the recovery tool even more confused. It appears that the recovery tool I'm using may be the problem. I'm using "Android system recovery utility Build: JFv1.42"
But I've looked at installing Amon-RA and the instructions I find for it all seem like a mixmash of Windows and Linux steps and I just don't trust them one bit. I also attempted to install ClockworkMod/Rom Manager, but the .apk doesn't do a thing when I select it from the browser download list on the phone.
So I have a rooted G1 with one recovery utility that needs to be replaced with another, probably Amon-RA. Anyone have a good link for Amon-RA installation download/instructions?

EDIT:
Here's exactly what my recovery screen says:
code:
Android system recovery utility
Build: JFv1.42

Home+Back - reboot system now
Alt+L - toggle log text display
Alt+S - apply sdcard:update.zip
Alt+W - wipe data/factory reset
Alt+B - nandroid v2.1 backup 
        (courtesy of Infernix
         and brainaid)
Alt+X - exit recovery and go
        to console
I'm sorry, I'm about to go to bed or I'd help you out. I promise if I get time I'll help you tomorrow morning if you haven't fixed it already.

The amon-ra download is on this page.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

ZShakespeare posted:

Well I found a showstopping bug in Andromadus Mimicry. If you put a call on speakerphone and then turn speakerphone off, the microphone turns off and refuses to be turned back on. Since I do this fairly frequently, I guess it's back to gingerbread for me.

Yeah I've had a few weird bugs too. LBE Security's active protection sometimes shuts down saying you don't have root, but turns right back on. This usually happens on an incoming call. Juicedefender works, but doesn't always turn your wireless connection back on and once your quiet times are over, scheduled sync doesn't turn back on.

I haven't run into serious hardware issues like that but still some of the stuff I've run into it kinda annoying. It's also primarily software related and not an actual issue with the OS. But I'm not entirely surprised. I hope you submitted a logcat!

Napolean Bonerfarts posted:

I'm using a fully rooted HTC One S and I put it on the 1000 setting or whatever it was. I also purchased Busybox which I apparently needed. Didn't know about the user manual. Thanks for the heads up.

Yeah you don't actually need to purchase busybox. You probably just bought an installer that had more features than others. If you really carefully watched the V6 installer script when it was doing the initial install you'll see a bunch of info about where the user manual is at, where your settings are saved to, and stuff like that.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
I did have to flash the WiFi fix, but other than that 4.1 is running fine. Except for one thing, every time I try to add a profile in SetCPU it force closes. Anything I can do? I didn't restore data for it in TB or anything.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

LastInLine posted:

I'm sorry, I'm about to go to bed or I'd help you out. I promise if I get time I'll help you tomorrow morning if you haven't fixed it already.

The amon-ra download is on this page.

Don't worry about it, seems I managed to brick it, despite making a nand backup. The nand backup errors out when I attempt to restore it, and the phone gets as far as the "T-Mobile G1" screen and just sits there for eternity. Guess I'll have to sign my soul over to tmo for a new phone. :(

Edit: hmm, if I could get my sdcard in another device and put the appropriate ROM files on it that way, I might be able to recover, since recovery mode still works...

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Is anyone with an EVO 4G running ICS? I really would like to but some of these roms that are out now seem like too much trouble for something that ~might~ work. I know with Team DIRT's ICS I have to partition my SD card and all that and it just seems like a hassle. With CM7 I don't have to do all this stuff, it seems to just work.

Is there no decent ICS rom for me now :(

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

nimper posted:

Why not just use a USB stick.

I work in IT and somehow, no matter how many dozen USB sticks I order, I absolutely never have one on my person when I need it. I almost always have my phone though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

TheTarrasque posted:

Don't worry about it, seems I managed to brick it, despite making a nand backup. The nand backup errors out when I attempt to restore it, and the phone gets as far as the "T-Mobile G1" screen and just sits there for eternity. Guess I'll have to sign my soul over to tmo for a new phone. :(

Edit: hmm, if I could get my sdcard in another device and put the appropriate ROM files on it that way, I might be able to recover, since recovery mode still works...
If recovery works it's easily fixed. You can use that to... recover it. You'll definitely need a way to put poo poo on the sd card without using the phone first.