Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

I thought the plan all along was for the phone thread to become a TV/IV for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Really? No one's talking about the Nexus 7 infodump we got today?

http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/27/3120884/google-nexus-7-first-image-leak

I was too busy ordering it :D

Please arrive soon Nexus 7.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Glimm posted:

I was too busy ordering it :D

Please arrive soon Nexus 7.

The page was pulled.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

The page was pulled.

I know =(

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

The page was pulled.

Oh terrible, I hope they don't cancel my order :ohdear:

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Did he just say 12 core GPU?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, that's standard Tegra 3 stuff.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Did he just say 12 core GPU?
And somehow it still manages to not be a very quick mobile GPU.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!
Store is back up.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Man I was really hoping they would not charge an additional $50 for 3 bucks worth of flash memory but yep. The wait to replace my Kindle Fire continues :(

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
edit: I don't know anything about tablet prices

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jun 27, 2012

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Polo-Rican posted:

Thank god someone has finally broken the unbreakable $500 price line.

edit:
Kindle Fire doesn't count.
If you're being facetious I can't really tell. iPad2 is $399, the Asus Transformer Prime is $380, the Motorla XOOM is $370, Toshiba Thrive is $399... and those are just the 10" tablets.

7" tablets go for around $200.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Anyone wanna buy my Nook Color and HP TouchPad? I think I'm going to order a Nexus 7 tablet...

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
Preordered one too. I guess I'm returning my transformer to best buy tonight.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life

quote:

Thank you.
You've made a purchase on Google Play. You will not be charged until your order has shipped.

Just preordered the 16gb + Case.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
I don't see anything about microsd or sd card slot in the nexus 7. drat you google. :argh:

Preordered anyway.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Xenomorph posted:

Anyone wanna buy my Nook Color and HP TouchPad? I think I'm going to order a Nexus 7 tablet...

Haha that's exactly what I've got for tablets.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Just pre-ordered it as a stop-gap to use a reader/media player until Surface 9 Pro comes out. At $200 bucks, it's an easy choice.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Bummer, no IR blaster. Still, I would have already preordered one, but I've all my "play" money this month is going toward a new tattoo. Soon though...soon.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Just pre-ordered it as a stop-gap to use a reader/media player until Surface 9 Pro comes out. At $200 bucks, it's an easy choice.

What's Google's return policy?

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

XIII posted:

Bummer, no IR blaster.

Well, now you gotta buy the Q :v:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

After seeing some of the hands on stuff, I think I may pre-order one this week. I've been digging the 7" form factor more and more and it would be nice to have something lighter than my Xoom.

The video on Droid Life is interesting, especially the way the notification shade works. It's not 100% phone UI as the shade is concentrated in the center and not the full width of the device. I've also seen picture sin landscape where the back, home and app switching buttons are centered at the bottom rather than being off to one side.

I'm ASSUMING this is going to be the standard UI for 4.1 and not just some special layout for 7" models. Won't know for sure until the Xoom update is pushed out.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I hope some tech blogs lit a fire under ASUS for comment on how quickly their other high-profile tablet that launched this week will get Jelly Bean.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Google did mention that "other parties" had access to the PDK, so I can only assume Asus is one of them since they made this device. No one is going to have it for about two weeks, so we may hear something before the Nexus 7 starts shipping.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Joe Don Baker posted:

What's Google's return policy?

15 days. Perfect.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
The Nexus 7 is the first tablet I'm genuinely interested in buying. The Ipads are all too expensive, as are the better Android tablets. Surface will be too expensive when it comes out, too. I've also always felt that 10" was a bit too large for me.

gently caress it, gonna order now.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

lostleaf posted:

I don't see anything about microsd or sd card slot in the nexus 7. drat you google. :argh:

Negative over here. I guess I'll wait to see what the kindle fire 2 has to offer. How hard would it have been to throw a microsd slot in there.

Ziji
Oct 20, 2010
Yossarian lives!
Ordered the 16gb + the case. Way too excited for this. I just hope it gets here before August so I have something to do on my flight. :ohdear:

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
From The Verge hands on with the Nexus 7.

quote:

“On the Nexus 7, however, it was a little hard to tell without having an Ice Cream Sandwich device side by side, and still didn’t keep up with our swiping fingers as quickly as they do on a recent iPad. "

I thought Project Butter was supposed to handle the scrolling lag but I guess there's still some present.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

TLG James posted:

Negative over here. I guess I'll wait to see what the kindle fire 2 has to offer. How hard would it have been to throw a microsd slot in there.

It seems unlikely that any future Nexus devices are going to have external storage.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Biodome posted:

From The Verge hands on with the Nexus 7.

I thought Project Butter was supposed to handle the scrolling lag but I guess there's still some present.

The Verge guy was probably just swiping it as fast as he could. Honestly don't care so long as the lag isn't as bad as my old Galaxy S.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Just played with one here at the I/O demo pit. I expected the layout to look like the previous tablet UI but the notification/title bar and bottom nav buttons are laid out as though it were a 7" phone.

I was not swiping my hand back and forth crazy quick but it felt like it was still not as snappy as the iPad.

My opinion is that it still is no iPad. But if you were in the market for a Kindle Fire I would buy one of these instead.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

kitten smoothie posted:

Just played with one here at the I/O demo pit. I expected the layout to look like the previous tablet UI but the notification/title bar and bottom nav buttons are laid out as though it were a 7" phone.

I was not swiping my hand back and forth crazy quick but it felt like it was still not as snappy as the iPad.

My opinion is that it still is no iPad. But if you were in the market for a Kindle Fire I would buy one of these instead.
Do you reckon it would be good for reading comics on?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Chas McGill posted:

I don't read comics, so I don't know what makes something good or bad for comics.

I was imagining the 1280x800 resolution would look lackluster on it but on a 7 inch screen it looked pretty good. The magazine app looked pretty nice.

I am going to go down and claim mine in an hour or two and I will post more opinions on it.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Ordered a 16gig with case. I really do enjoy the 7" form factor and that's probably the biggest reason I sold my A500 (the second being it was an insufferable piece of poo poo). I would have liked to save the $50 and go with the 8gig but my Nexus S sits at about 8-9 gigs used with light use so erring on the side of caution.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Chas McGill posted:

The fact that "CMX-HD" which are the very high resolution comics from comiXology are only available on the iPad 3 would lead me to say no. All tablets are pretty good for reading comics but until there are some Android/WP8 tablets with 250+ ppi then stick to a retina device.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I'm really interested in the 7, but the retina display on my iPad is causing me to hesitate...

Sad, I know, but it's so drat pretty :3:

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
The pixel density doesn't do much for me and I don't particularly want a 10" device. I guess I was really wondering about the colour and contrast on the Nexus.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

bull3964 posted:

After seeing some of the hands on stuff, I think I may pre-order one this week. I've been digging the 7" form factor more and more and it would be nice to have something lighter than my Xoom.

The video on Droid Life is interesting, especially the way the notification shade works. It's not 100% phone UI as the shade is concentrated in the center and not the full width of the device. I've also seen picture sin landscape where the back, home and app switching buttons are centered at the bottom rather than being off to one side.

I'm ASSUMING this is going to be the standard UI for 4.1 and not just some special layout for 7" models. Won't know for sure until the Xoom update is pushed out.

Yeah this seems pretty weird to me. One of the things I hate on my iPad is dropdown shade, it seems so out of place - like it belongs on a phone (and it behaves a little weirdly, you can pull it down from anywhere on the status bar, but must slide it back up only from the the shade itself, but my main point is I think the notifications on Android 3.0 - 4.0 is much more natural for tablets).

Also, I think the buttons in the center may be to make it less likely for the user to accidentally bump them while reading/gaming with a hand holding on to the left edge, but I think it'll be pretty inconvenient.

These aren't huge concerns as custom roms will probably make it pretty easy to get the old functionality back (might take some time for the new larger notification options).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's entirely possible that Google doesn't see the utility in devices much larger than the 7" form factor for Android. It's obvious that they've geared this device and Jelly Bean towards portrait orientation rather than landscape orientation. By crafting the UI to be closer to the phone form factor, they are trying to push manufacturers toward portrait and smaller devices.

As a Xoom owner, I know portrait is a PITA. The thing is too long for it. Landscape is a much more natural way to hold the device, but it requires two hands for things like reading. This, you can simply palm in portrait and scroll/turn page with your thumb. It seems like a conscious decision to go to this form factor after seeing the success of the Fire and Nook Color/Tablet, leaving the 10" market to the iPad and Microsoft tablets.

It may be a perfectly valid way to go to since they don't want to push devs to develop tablet specific UIs for apps. They are probably going to focus more on intelligent DPI scaling in portrait rather than explicit landscape tablet geared apps.