Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My wife got a new water bottle. No one can figure out what the hell this plastic thing is. You can't drink out of it without taking the lid off and by taking the lid off this thing can slide out, so the whole "oh maybe it keeps ice down" angle doesn't seem to pan out. Any clues?? It's just sitting there on a ridge and if you turn the cup upsidedown it just falls out. The little peg is the right height to press on the lid when it's on.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jun 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Baronjutter posted:

My wife got a new water bottle. No one can figure out what the hell this plastic thing is. You can't drink out of it without taking the lid off and by taking the lid off this thing can slide out, so the whole "oh maybe it keeps ice down" angle doesn't seem to pan out. Any clues?? It's just sitting there on a ridge and if you turn the cup upsidedown it just falls out. The little peg is the right height to press on the lid when it's on.

Usually those are protein shake powder mixers, They also sell with loose mixing ball. The idea is that when you shake the water in the container the big clump of powder hits those things and breaks up making it mix faster.

They generally work great as long as you put the water in first, last depending on the type.

VV that would be cool too. I would love a salad shaker.

kapalama fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jun 27, 2012

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
That's a salad dressing shaker. That's there to break up oil or other bits when you shake it.

E: or for what was above. The one I have was labeled as being for salad v:shobon:v

MAJOR STRYkER
Jan 2, 2008

FIFTY THOUSAND PEOPLE USED TO LIVE HERE...
Hi I'm looking for a math equation/program. I'm just going to throw out some keywords. Its like a program that runs off a mathematical equation that runs for a while, it turns squares white and black, but eventually ends up in the same pattern after like N number of moves - going down.

I think its modeled off ants or bacteria or some poo poo I can't remember. I just don't have the right keywords to put into google. There is a wiki article.

It's named after the person who invented it.

e; Conway's game of life

e2; actually is there another thing like I described, where after a number of moves it goes into a recursive line or something

MAJOR STRYkER fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jun 27, 2012

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

MAJOR STRYkER posted:

e2; actually is there another thing like I described, where after a number of moves it goes into a recursive line or something

Could be a life pattern, there's a lot of them that go into a repeating pattern of since kind.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
Possibly cellular automata? Which conway's game of life is an example of.

ServoMST3K
Nov 30, 2009

You look like a Cracker Jack box with a bad prize inside
Hey folks, I'm planning on moving in the next few months and I've decided to get rid of a bunch of my stuff. What's the best way of selling things like CDs? Should I just start listing them for 99 cents on eBay and hope for the best? I hate bringing games or CDs in to retail places that buy used things, they almost never buy them for a reasonable price. I have about 300 or so (mostly metal/hard rock) that I'm looking to let go. I suppose I could just donate them somewhere as a last resort, but I feel weird just giving all my stuff to the library or elsewhere.

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know

ServoMST3K posted:

Hey folks, I'm planning on moving in the next few months and I've decided to get rid of a bunch of my stuff. What's the best way of selling things like CDs? Should I just start listing them for 99 cents on eBay and hope for the best? I hate bringing games or CDs in to retail places that buy used things, they almost never buy them for a reasonable price. I have about 300 or so (mostly metal/hard rock) that I'm looking to let go. I suppose I could just donate them somewhere as a last resort, but I feel weird just giving all my stuff to the library or elsewhere.

Well, it's less trouble to put them on craigslist and hope there's a metal lover out there, but craigslist can be really skeevy so there's also that to consider. At least you get the money faster, and don't have to bother with mailing and all that.

Honestly I don't think music cd's are worth much anymore, almost everyone uses mp3 and their fancypants ipods and stuff. Worth a shot I guess, especially if there's some rare titles. That's all I got, sorry.

ServoMST3K
Nov 30, 2009

You look like a Cracker Jack box with a bad prize inside
You're probably right. I might see if some of my rarer titles are selling well online, otherwise I might just give them away. I haven't touched anything in that big ol' stack for probably two years now.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
There is this personal transportation device that was basically a covered wheel with foot pads hanging down over the wheel.

Imagine a skateboard but with one big covered, bicycle wheel.

Anyone know what I am talking about?

EDIT: Found it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=W6cTVaga7n4

Magic Wheel is out of business.

kapalama fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Jun 27, 2012

Lanky Monster
Jun 7, 2012
I'd rather not.
I'm very new to these forums and I was going to ask people their favorite obscure NES titles. (I recently found my brother's old NES and am going to buy some games off of eBay) Where would I post this thread?

Again, sorry for my failure to figure this out on my own. Honestly this forum is very intimidating and I fear of being banned just for saying something wrong. Sorry for kissing rear end.

Lanky Monster fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Jun 27, 2012

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!

Lanky Monster posted:

Again, sorry for my fail. Honestly this forum is very intimidating and I fear of being banned just for saying something wrong. Sorry for kissing rear end.

Just don't be a dick, don't troll and take some pride in your posting (decent spelling, good grammar, punctuation, capitalization, content) and you'll be fine.

torjus
Nov 22, 2005

I want YOU to MSPaint!

Lanky Monster posted:

I'm very new to these forums and I was going to ask people their favorite obscure NES titles. (I recently found my brother's old NES and am going to buy some games off of eBay) Where would I post this thread?
In Games. I know I've seen a retro thread floating around there, so you can check that out first to see if it fits your needs, but I think a thread dedicated to obscure NES-games (or 8-bit in general) would be pretty great!

Nickelodeon Household
Apr 11, 2010

I like chocolate MIIIILK
You could try PYF or in Games. Just shoot a mod a PM if you have plat.

FYI: Using fail as a noun is likely to get you a probation from a fair number of mods. Example:

Note that Kewpuh is a mod of games.

Lanky Monster
Jun 7, 2012
I'd rather not.

torjus posted:

In Games. I know I've seen a retro thread floating around there, so you can check that out first to see if it fits your needs, but I think a thread dedicated to obscure NES-games (or 8-bit in general) would be pretty great!

Thanks, I'll look for a thread tomorrow!

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Just don't be a dick, don't troll and take some pride in your posting (decent spelling, good grammar, punctuation, capitalization, content) and you'll be fine.
Thanks for the reassurance, I just don't want to waste the money I spent on this account right away..

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know

Lanky Monster posted:

Thanks, I'll look for a thread tomorrow!

Thanks for the reassurance, I just don't want to waste the money I spent on this account right away..

As long as you're not a dick and that you use proper grammar and what not, I'm sure you'll be fine.

We used to have 'adopt a new member' threads, I wonder why I haven't seen one in a long time. Are they verboten now for some reason?

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I fell in love with wowplayers.txt and diabloplayers.txt threads. Are the currently any other *.txt running on SA? Doesn't have to be computer games.

EDIT: grognards.txt, gamejournalism.txt (gassed)

Mokotow fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jun 27, 2012

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Mokotow posted:

I fell in love with wowplayers.txt and diabloplayers.txt threads. Are the currently any other *.txt running on SA? Doesn't have to be computer games.

grognards.txt - P&P gaming.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Speaking of P&P gaming... one of the things I do with some kids that I've been teaching EFL for a number of years is "Adventure Game." The kids move around, I describe things, they use English to say what they want to do, I tell them the results, etc.

Is there any kind of D&D aimed at kids that I could use for this? I'd love to have a system with stats/skills/dice rolls to make things a bit more entertaining. I thought about Hero Quest, but it's absurdly hard to get ahold of here in Japan.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

tarepanda posted:

Speaking of P&P gaming... one of the things I do with some kids that I've been teaching EFL for a number of years is "Adventure Game." The kids move around, I describe things, they use English to say what they want to do, I tell them the results, etc.

Is there any kind of D&D aimed at kids that I could use for this? I'd love to have a system with stats/skills/dice rolls to make things a bit more entertaining. I thought about Hero Quest, but it's absurdly hard to get ahold of here in Japan.

How good are you at Japanese?

There's enough great games coming out of Japan, especially ones that don't have lots of violence, that you could just port it into English or buy the English copy. There's a Japanese RPG thread in Trad Games you might want to check out.

How old are the kids? The classic answers are stuff like Cat, Mouse Guard, Fiasco, maybe Danger Patrol. There's another thread in Trad Games about picking a good system ; it's called something obvious like "What System Should I Use?", so I'd try there rather than going off the top of my head.

When I was teaching ESL, the hardest part of doing stuff like that was explaining the rules. (I was technically only allowed to speak English. I still spoke Chinese all the time, but I had to hide it so I couldn't just read the whole rules in Chinese. Plus, you know, 8 year olds.) If you can get the kids to understand it, god speed : it sounds like a great teaching tool for a small class.

Ooo! I forgot! You could hack Everyone Is John pretty easily, and I've heard really good things about Sea Dracula.

My own question, although this is kind of pitched directly at Eggplant Wizard :

Everyone knows the phrase Quis custodiet ipsos custodes, but what if I wanted to throw in a relative clause? I want to say, "Who watches the watchers/watchmen that watch the watchmen?", and my Latin is weak as hell because I'm a bad linguist.

Actually, since I'm asking stupid Latin questions, can someone check my sig text? I'm pretty sure it's wrong, because I made it in 5 minutes while drunk years ago, but I'd love to know how specifically, and possibly to fix it.

It's : "-Serenissimo Domino Nostro Corbinio Quarto,
Dei Gratia,
Angliae, Franciae, Scotiae, Hiberniae, Novae Angliae et Novae Franciae Rex,
Imperatore,
Fidei Defensor"

One of the words is gibberish because it's me half-assed trying to make my given name Latin, even though it's totally not a Latin name, so it can be ignored/or explained how I hosed up Latin-ing it up.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Hoops posted:

I know there are huge stores of silver dollars, Presidential coins and Sacagawea coins that are legally required to be produced but the treasury just can't get rid of. There was a big scam running where you could buy them at face value on a credit card, and get the airmiles, but they've shut it down. There's an episode of the Planet Money podcast (more than one, I think), that describes it.

99% of the people selling coins on tv also have no connection at all to the government. The US Mint does sell retail coin products but there are other "mints" that are either producing replicas or selling a private collection.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Xiahou Dun posted:

How good are you at Japanese?

There's enough great games coming out of Japan, especially ones that don't have lots of violence, that you could just port it into English or buy the English copy. There's a Japanese RPG thread in Trad Games you might want to check out.

How old are the kids? The classic answers are stuff like Cat, Mouse Guard, Fiasco, maybe Danger Patrol. There's another thread in Trad Games about picking a good system ; it's called something obvious like "What System Should I Use?", so I'd try there rather than going off the top of my head.

When I was teaching ESL, the hardest part of doing stuff like that was explaining the rules. (I was technically only allowed to speak English. I still spoke Chinese all the time, but I had to hide it so I couldn't just read the whole rules in Chinese. Plus, you know, 8 year olds.) If you can get the kids to understand it, god speed : it sounds like a great teaching tool for a small class.

Ooo! I forgot! You could hack Everyone Is John pretty easily, and I've heard really good things about Sea Dracula.

Pretty good.

I've never heard of any of this stuff, whew. I can speak all the Japanese I want; it's just a private lesson. One kid is 9, the other is 13, and they have a fair amount of patience with me and games. I taught them both to play Carcassonne and Settlers/Seafarers of Catan, explaining the rules in only English and forcing them to use only English to play those games.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

tarepanda posted:

Pretty good.

I've never heard of any of this stuff, whew. I can speak all the Japanese I want; it's just a private lesson. One kid is 9, the other is 13, and they have a fair amount of patience with me and games. I taught them both to play Carcassonne and Settlers/Seafarers of Catan, explaining the rules in only English and forcing them to use only English to play those games.

Here's the thread for Japanese games :

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3485203

I say you should get yourself a copy of Yuuyake Koyake right away : even if you don't run it with the kids, it's a great game. Plus, it's basically impossible to get anywhere except Japan so you could basically sell it for its weight in gold to another nerd. It's about playing animal spirits helping out people in a tiny village. The sample adventure is that there's a little boy who's afraid because there's a bush rustling, and you have to help him overcome his fears. It turns out that it's really just a puppy. And then everyone plays with the puppy. It's pretty :3: as gently caress.

Also, again, Cat is great. And I forgot that you could modify Dread pretty easily too. (It's a horror game where the resolution mechanic is pulling Jenga blocks. Just dump the horror bit.)

O, and like half the poo poo I said is free and the rules would fit in double-sided pamphlet.

There's another game for kids that is something about eating candy (but in moderation!) to do magic, but I can't remember the name or if it ever came out. It was pretty cool.

(I've been hoarding this stuff for when I get a nephew/niece so I can corrupt them with my nerd ways. Plus, you know, imagination is cool.)

Here's the "What System Should I Use?" thread :

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3430847

If you want, I can PM you or whatever when I've had more coffee and can think of more. There's a lot of good rules-light systems, but I'm picking ones that don't have a lot of violence in them. If you don't give a poo poo about that, D&D would work great, though. Or FATE. Everyone should play FATE.

Okay, I think I've shown how much a nerd I am enough for an hour or so.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

Gonna repost one more time from the last page, can anyone identify what this song is? I think it's from a video game, 8-bit era, but it could be anything. I've had it in my head for like 6 months.

http://www.kisstunes.com/m3/s.aspx?v=nH54aV812872

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
What is the best scheduler software or app that is not Outlook that goons would recommend?

I've always needed a physical schedule to keep track of everything, but I could really use an awesome scheduling software application to keep track of my schedule on my laptop. Things are starting to get insanely busy again and it's just difficult to keep track of everything mentally or on scattered/remote physical schedules.

[EDIT]: Question resolved, thanks all! :)

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jun 28, 2012

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Orzo posted:

Gonna repost one more time from the last page, can anyone identify what this song is? I think it's from a video game, 8-bit era, but it could be anything. I've had it in my head for like 6 months.

I thought of this, first thing, but I don't think it is it but maybe? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qA1hn91bkA

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

Orzo posted:

Did you input that? I've never seen that site before. Is that the exact rhythm of the melody? It's just sort of spooky background music going up and down a diminished scale.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

Thanks but no luck Very Strange Things.

Hoops, yeah, I put input that. It was that or record myself humming the melody, which would not go well. The rhythm is fairly close to that, it's just a sequence of 2 repeated notes over and over. The only difference is I put a pause in between the two halves of the song, there really isn't one in my mind though.

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?

OrangeGuy posted:

What is the best scheduler software or app that is not Outlook that goons would recommend?

I've always needed a physical schedule to keep track of everything, but I could really use an awesome scheduling software application to keep track of my schedule on my laptop. Things are starting to get insanely busy again and it's just difficult to keep track of everything mentally or on scattered/remote physical schedules.

Dare I ask why Outlook is out of the question?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

OrangeGuy posted:

I use google calendar and it's pretty well integrated with a bunch of android apps

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Orzo posted:

Thanks but no luck Very Strange Things.

Hoops, yeah, I put input that. It was that or record myself humming the melody, which would not go well. The rhythm is fairly close to that, it's just a sequence of 2 repeated notes over and over. The only difference is I put a pause in between the two halves of the song, there really isn't one in my mind though.

Have you tried this thread? http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3285054 Seems like some mega game knowledge in there.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

Thanks greazeball, I'll take it over there.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Jeffrey Colon posted:

Dare I ask why Outlook is out of the question?

I already use Thunderbird as an e-mail client and just want a sleek, comprehensive application focused primarily on scheduling. Outlook would be redundant and I figured that free, open source software could do a better job than Microsoft software would (see: Open Office).

[EDIT]: Is there any way to integrate Google Calendar into the desktop or Thunderbird a la Outlook to remove the need to get on Firefox or Chrome and then access Gmail for Google Calendar?

[EDIT 2]: Google Calendar looks like the best thing for me, especially since I use an Android phone and my Gmail e-mail address a lot anyways.

[EDIT 3]: Question resolved, thanks all! :)

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jun 28, 2012

Amelia Song
Jan 28, 2012

OrangeGuy posted:

I already use Thunderbird as an e-mail client and just want a sleek, comprehensive application focused primarily on scheduling. Outlook would be redundant and I figured that free, open source software could do a better job than Microsoft software would (see: Open Office).

[EDIT]: Is there any way to integrate Google Calendar into the desktop or Thunderbird a la Outlook to remove the need to get on Firefox or Chrome and then access Gmail for Google Calendar?

[EDIT 2]: Google Calendar looks like the best thing for me, especially since I use an Android phone and my Gmail e-mail address a lot anyways.

Looks like there's a Thunderbird add-on for it, though I haven't used it and can't vouch for it at all. Lots of reviews, too.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Amelia Song posted:

Looks like there's a Thunderbird add-on for it, though I haven't used it and can't vouch for it at all. Lots of reviews, too.

Provider is awesome and works flawlessly. Just remember that it requires the Lightning add-on as a prerequisite:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/lightning/

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Orzo posted:

Thanks greazeball, I'll take it over there.

You could try the song recommendation thread in whatever the music forum is, too.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
Stupid Facebook question.

I post a lot of nature pictures (birds, plants) etc on my Facebook and my Mom likes to put them on her page so her friends can see them. But she doesn't "share" them. She will save the picture off my page and then just put it on her wall. So no one knows they are actually my photos. She says that there is no "share" button when she looks at my photo albums. Is this because of some setting I have or something weird on her part? None of my albums are private. They are set to "friends only". Should I change that? Change it to what?

I know it's stupid but I just want people to know they are my photos :)

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Mak0rz posted:

Provider is awesome and works flawlessly. Just remember that it requires the Lightning add-on as a prerequisite:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/lightning/

Awesome, this works great! Thanks a lot Mak0rz and Amelia Song, I really appreciate it. :)

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

ServoMST3K posted:

You're probably right. I might see if some of my rarer titles are selling well online, otherwise I might just give them away. I haven't touched anything in that big ol' stack for probably two years now.

Sell them all as a bundle deal? People love buying poo poo like that. A long while back I sold a few spindles of software and just naming 10-20 out of ~100 it went for $150 and most of it was poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

ServoMST3K posted:

Amazon is taking trade-ins of used CDs now. They probably won't give you as much as if you were to find the right buyer, but at least you can ship them the whole lot in one shot and not worry about eBay chargebacks or Craigslist flakes.

http://www.amazon.com/tradein