Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Greatbacon posted:

shenanigans

double dream selves all the way across the skaia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Haha, Terezi's a close-talker. Hey dirk what's your take on dragons huh, and Dirk gets point blank nailed with a faceful of chalkbreath.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Dolash posted:

So Roxy's dream self is just going to stay asleep and not start dying, now that her real self is dead?

We don't know that for sure yet--it's been established that there's some lag before waking injuries start showing up on dreamselves (otherwise kiss-reviving wouldn't work, because the dreamself would already be dead.)

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Dolash posted:

Actually I like the idea of Dirk being awake in the dream bubbles simultaneously, just as he's awake as his dream and real selves, because it opens up the absolutely confusing timeline possibility of Dirk being awake and actively doing stuff in his session where the meteor crew have arrived while also being awake two years in the relative past while the meteor crew were still on their way. Or whatever fluid opportunities the dream bubbles offer, where meeting yourself from the past or present or an alternate timeline is considered mundane.

It would also give us two years of Dirk having a presence on the meteor which is exactly the sort of stabilizing element that place surely needs.

That would be... Where's that HOMESTUCK MINDFUCK avatar jesus christ

Bobulus posted:

I considered that, but if he had all of Bro's knowledge from B1, he'd know, for example, that Lil' Cal was his and not Bro-Dave's, as he seems to believe.

It's possible, though, that B1-Bro had all of B2-Dirk's knowledge, somehow, and that's how he got so awesome.

edit: I wonder if the Sufferer was a Heart player and that explains how he remembered poo poo post-scratch.

I've been of the viewpoint that both Dirk and Roxy become their B1 counterparts, as in they are the actual people themselves in their future, somehow. The only strong evidence I can have of that though is B1 Roxy's/Mom's treatment of Rose regarding Jaspers.

Gabriel Pope posted:

We don't know that for sure yet--it's been established that there's some lag before waking injuries start showing up on dreamselves (otherwise kiss-reviving wouldn't work, because the dreamself would already be dead.)

As was pointed earlier in the thread: Sollux and Aradia died pre-entry, but their Dreamselves never actually received any damage.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I dont know who's real and who isnt now.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

YF-23 posted:

As was pointed earlier in the thread: Sollux and Aradia died pre-entry, but their Dreamselves never actually received any damage.

On the other hand, Terezi went blind, and so did her dreamself, pre-entry. I think it's less based on if your in the Medium vs whether or not your dreamself has awakened. She was waking up at the end of [s] Sleepwalk, so I think it could go either way?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

YggiDee posted:

On the other hand, Terezi went blind, and so did her dreamself, pre-entry. I think it's less based on if your in the Medium vs whether or not your dreamself has awakened. She was waking up at the end of [s] Sleepwalk, so I think it could go either way?

Wasn't it suggested that Terezi's dreamself was blind because she was actually more comfortable with it or something?

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

YF-23 posted:

I've been of the viewpoint that both Dirk and Roxy become their B1 counterparts, as in they are the actual people themselves in their future, somehow. The only strong evidence I can have of that though is B1 Roxy's/Mom's treatment of Rose regarding Jaspers.

I dunno, I think that's like the least suspicious thing any of the guardians have done. Roxy is precisely that overenthusiastic, especially about a cat her daughter obviously cared for a huge amount (to the point of drawing agitated MEOWs over every inch of her room's walls after he disappeared), and especially especially given how weird B1-Mom was.

I think it's more likely that all the B kids just bleed though into their guardian selves to some extent. See also B2-Dave's Ben Stiller shades and inexplicable fascination with Con Air, and how weirdly prescient so many of the guardians have been.

I also think that to some extent Guardian Roxy actually was trying to raise Rose to be like the Rose she would have been raised by; in particular, that bronzed vacuum cleaner seems like a very Roxyish sort of attempt at passive-aggressive mind game nonsense. For that matter, I suspect the same goes for all of the kids' guardians, or at least for the Strider-Lalondes.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

YF-23 posted:

That would be... Where's that HOMESTUCK MINDFUCK avatar jesus christ

Sollux died only a few moments before entry and was almost immediately revived by Feferi, and we never saw his dreamself before he was kissed to tell if it was wounded. We actually don't really even know if he died pre-entry or passed away immediately after.

Aradia's dreamself seemed to exist in the same state that ghost Aradia was in- dead, but otherwise intact (considering she got blown up). Also the Carapacians might have cleaned up her dreamself's body maybe? Anyway it's kind of silly to say her dreamself didn't receive any injuries considering it was dead in a tomb.

Also I don't like the idea of B2 kids becoming the B1 guardians (and/or vice versa) because
-we've already been told that the meteors duplicated, and have precedent with the Trolls
-all the adults seem to have crazy knowledge, even the B2 versions of the B1 kids (ie. adult Rose had dark magic and could predict the future, adult Dave is mentioned as a member of a temporal knighthood, adult Jade knew about Lord English, etc), so you'd be saying that 'our' John, Rose, Dave, Jade somehow become the adult guardians of the B2 kids as well

Which brings me to my big point that all those characters are dead (except maybe adult Dave and Rose (but they probably are)) and usually in pretty sucky ways! That'd be an incredibly down ending.

sansuki
May 17, 2003

So Lil Cal is a JuJu, and we know that he was used to make Lord English. UU is Caliope. Lil Seb is also possibly a JuJu. Will he be used to make Lady Massé? And Is his name a hint to the real name of LE? It could be Bastion. The name of the kid from that movie with that loving wolf trophy.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Mazerunner posted:

-all the adults seem to have crazy knowledge, even the B2 versions of the B1 kids (ie. adult Rose had dark magic and could predict the future, adult Dave is mentioned as a member of a temporal knighthood, adult Jade knew about Lord English, etc), so you'd be saying that 'our' John, Rose, Dave, Jade somehow become the adult guardians of the B2 kids as well
I was thinking that this is exactly how it would go, until Ms Serket shot it down during her chat with Terezi. When she mentioned Mindfang, she basically said that although Spinneret was her, Aranea wasn't Mindfang. How could she be? She has already been and will be dead and in a dream bubble for eons.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

That particular theory never held water for me. In particular, Nanna/Jane and Grandpa/Jake had completely different on-screen childhoods, so Jane and Jake couldn't turn out to be Nanna and Grandpa without serious off-screen shenanigans.

The only vagueness left is what relation B1-Mom had with B2-Roxy. It seems like she knew more than most, with her 8-planet monitor and seemingly setting up a kids' bedroom in her lab, as if she was expecting Roxy to visit.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Dirk is the best. :allears:

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Well, that didn't go entirely as expected, but Rose, Dave and Kanaya are golden in this one!

edit: that's as close as Dave's going to get to the Karkat "mouth hanging wide open like an anime" expression

Bell_ fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Jun 28, 2012

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Bobulus posted:

That particular theory never held water for me. In particular, Nanna/Jane and Grandpa/Jake had completely different on-screen childhoods, so Jane and Jake couldn't turn out to be Nanna and Grandpa without serious off-screen shenanigans.

The only vagueness left is what relation B1-Mom had with B2-Roxy. It seems like she knew more than most, with her 8-planet monitor and seemingly setting up a kids' bedroom in her lab, as if she was expecting Roxy to visit.

Yeah, that theory just doesn't go for the Prospit kids. But it could easily apply for the Derse ones, Dave and Rose as well, as much of a downer as it may be. All the Derse guardians have shown incredible battle prowess at least.

Then again there's Dad too but Dad's always been a mangrit beast.

e: v Thank you.

YF-23 fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Jun 28, 2012

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Did someone call for the mindfuck?

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!

King of Solomon posted:

Wasn't it suggested that Terezi's dreamself was blind because she was actually more comfortable with it or something?

Hussie has suggested this, but also made it explicitly clear that her dreamself went blind because she was going blind at the moment of her awakening. I think it was on the forums when people were debating why Vriska's dreamself had the eightfold eye and why Tavros' dreamself still had functioning legs.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I must go now, my planet needs me.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Ouch, poor Dave.

He has no idea that Dirk has been listening to this whole conversation, so from his perspective, Dirk showed up, instantly out-cooled everyone, and flew off like a big-drat-hero.

Dave is going to get a complex.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
If only someone was there to tell Dave the truth

That not only is his brother a fuckup, he's also a complete bore

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

sansuki posted:

So Lil Cal is a JuJu, and we know that he was used to make Lord English...

Can someone explain this one to me, I don't think I remember that, but people keep talking about it like its a known thing.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Talorat posted:

Can someone explain this one to me, I don't think I remember that, but people keep talking about it like its a known thing.

Lil' Cal was used to make Doc Scratch, who then became LE, and Lil' Cal seemed to be what made LE look like he did, facially.

But it seems to be that it's more LE that was used to make Lil' Cal. Lil' Cal came into being by Gamzee, who (as per his blood caste) was influenced by and worshipped LE to a degree. Perhaps that was what enabled Doc Scratch to be a host to LE in the first place: LE influenced Alternia in such a way that an appropriate First Guardian component would be made/used that would make the First Guardian into a host of LE in the first place.

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.

Talorat posted:

Some people have the misguided idea that the ectobiological ingredients that went into making Doc Scratch have some causal effect on Lord English. When in reality, of course, they were fated to be those ingredients, because those were the only ones that would make Scratch a suitable entry doorway for English.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

Talorat posted:

http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=005512

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Dirk's belief in himself being the only competent one rears it's ugly head again. This is a flaw I'm sure will get addressed eventually(assuming Hussie doesn't get bored eventually and decide to rush the end after all), considering what all happened in the pre-scratch kid's session. Dave's initial thought of Jade being a liability ended up being egg all over his face for certain, and in Dirk's case it's been pretty clear that he regularly underestimates Jake and Roxy.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Bobulus posted:

I think that was just where she slept when she was a kid.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

YF-23 posted:

Lil' Cal was used to make Doc Scratch, who then became LE, and Lil' Cal seemed to be what made LE look like he did, facially.

But it seems to be that it's more LE that was used to make Lil' Cal. Lil' Cal came into being by Gamzee, who (as per his blood caste) was influenced by and worshipped LE to a degree. Perhaps that was what enabled Doc Scratch to be a host to LE in the first place: LE influenced Alternia in such a way that an appropriate First Guardian component would be made/used that would make the First Guardian into a host of LE in the first place.

Gamzee was involved on Doc Scratch's creation, but not in the way you think. He chucklevoodooed Lil' Cal into existance yes, but remember, he ALSO wrote down the extra honk HONK code which was added to the code that's usually used in the creation of a First Guardian. I believe that's what made Scratch a vessel for Lord English.

If I were to equate Lord English to a virus, he'd be one of those ones like HIV that infiltrate a cell and add their own genetic code to it. Computer viruses sometimes do the same thing, hijacking an existing program and adding to it a little.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

No reason it can't be both. If Doc Scratch was made using something other than Lil' Cal I could easily see him as an incompatible host.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
This seems like a good time for Aranea (or Vriska) to use her powers to put Dirk and Roxy to sleep...

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Slime posted:

Gamzee was involved on Doc Scratch's creation, but not in the way you think. He chucklevoodooed Lil' Cal into existance yes, but remember, he ALSO wrote down the extra honk HONK code which was added to the code that's usually used in the creation of a First Guardian. I believe that's what made Scratch a vessel for Lord English.

But don't forget, that the other half of the code (tick tock break heads) was almost entirely the doing of Doc Scratch. He goaded Vriska into hurting Tavros and killing Aradia, and this spiraled into Vriska and Terezi getting maimed, the four events that generated the code.

And then one of his agents, the Black Queen, was the one that selected the cue ball and Lil' Cal items for the ectobiology. She was only there because she'd been betrayed by her underlings.

Every step of Doc Scratch's creation was the result of misery and malice, and he seems to have gone to great lengths to make sure it was that way.

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

TheDemon posted:

This seems like a good time for Aranea (or Vriska) to use her powers to put Dirk and Roxy to sleep...

Roxy's already sleeping. Also, dead. And I should think that Dirk needs to be more conscious, not less!

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Literally Sharks posted:

Roxy's already sleeping. Also, dead. And I should think that Dirk needs to be more conscious, not less!

But if she puts Dream Dirk here to sleep, the Dream Dirk on Derse or real Dirk would wake up. Hell, actually it'd probably just create another Dream Dirk.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

creationist believer posted:

But if she puts Dream Dirk here to sleep, the Dream Dirk on Derse or real Dirk would wake up. Hell, actually it'd probably just create another Dream Dirk.

Eventually the Dream Dirks will multiply until they form all the fundamental subatomic particles of the universe, just like Pickle Inspector did in Problem Sleuth.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

sansuki posted:

So Lil Cal is a JuJu, and we know that he was used to make Lord English. UU is Caliope. Lil Seb is also possibly a JuJu. Will he be used to make Lady Massé?

Ok, that's a really clever name. Also notable, since English is sidespin on the ball, while Massé is shot from the top of the ball and is a way of maneuvering around other balls in an indirect manner.

No guarantee it'll show up, but that's a nice fan name.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Slime posted:

If I were to equate Lord English to a virus, he'd be one of those ones like HIV that infiltrate a cell and add their own genetic code to it. Computer viruses sometimes do the same thing, hijacking an existing program and adding to it a little.

We've already seen that Cherubs naturally look like that. I always assumed that Gamzee had created lil Cal in their image (not necessarily on purpose).

Pinechild
Sep 14, 2011

Triskelli posted:

Ok, that's a really clever name. Also notable, since English is sidespin on the ball, while Massé is shot from the top of the ball and is a way of maneuvering around other balls in an indirect manner.

Now that you've explained it, that is WAY too clever not to be true.

sansuki
May 17, 2003

Triskelli posted:

Thanks. I will be thrilled if that turns out to be the name, if there even is such a character.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Midnight Raider posted:

Dirk's belief in himself being the only competent one rears it's ugly head again. This is a flaw I'm sure will get addressed eventually(assuming Hussie doesn't get bored eventually and decide to rush the end after all), considering what all happened in the pre-scratch kid's session. Dave's initial thought of Jade being a liability ended up being egg all over his face for certain, and in Dirk's case it's been pretty clear that he regularly underestimates Jake and Roxy.

Can you blame him? Roxy's a little sharper than Dirk gives her credit for, but Jake's a complete moron.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
Just in case some of you didn't know, "Land of Fans and Music 2" is happening and I'm going to have a few tracks on it. Here's one of them. It's a new remix of "Elegy for a Thief", which I posted in this thread... oh, about eleven months ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silva
Aug 26, 2003

Time is the fire in which we burn
So how does Dirk expect himself to fix everything? He can't corpsesmootch neither Roxy nor Jane, so the chain won't ever be completed. They're screwed no matter which way you put it.