Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

Whenever my body starts to feel sick, I just stop being sick and be awesome instead.

MickRaider posted:

What is everyone elses "My phone is jailbroken and these apps are always on it" list

Welp, I just posted this over in the iPad thread when someone asked why they should jailbreak, and I might as well post it here as well since you're asking.

AppStore Update Size - Whenever you go to update your apps in the App Store, each entry on the list will show you how big the update file is. Useful if you're worried about managing data each month.

AutoProtect - Bypasses lockscreen passcode when connected to specific wifi networks of your choosing. So essentially, when I'm at home on my own wifi network, it doesn't make me enter my passcode to unlock the phone.

biteSMS - This is worth jailbreaking for alone. When you get a text, you can quickly reply right there, even from the lockscreen. TONS of additional SMS options for advanced users if you're interested in that sort of thing.

CallBar - Incoming phone calls show as notification banner at the top instead of being a full-screen thing that interferes with whatever you were doing. You swipe right on that banner to answer phone calls and swipe left when you want to hang up. If you silence the phone while it's ringing (using the sleep button or whatever) the banner becomes a little smaller but is still usable.

ChargingBackground - Shows lockscreen wallpaper behind 'charging battery' icon instead of just a plain black background.

Clear Lockscreen iOS 4 & 5 - Winterboard theme that makes lockscreen slider look nice [screenshot]. <- That screenshot also shows you a little of what LockInfo and NCSettings look like as well, except I didn't have any notifications at the time I took the screenshot so the weather is the only part of LockInfo you see there.

Cydelete - Delete Cydia apps directly from Springboard, if those apps have visible icons there.

Cyntact - Photos of people next to their entries in the contacts list. Uses whatever photo you have assigned to each contact.

DataDeposit - Backup/restore app data using Dropbox. There's no automatic data backup unfortunately, you just have to manually pick the apps that you want to backup each time, one by one. Pretty cool, but could be better.

Five Icon Dock - Duh.

Folder Enhancer - Lets you put folders inside of other folders, and also creates pages within each folder much like the homescreen, so each folder can hold an infinite number of apps instead of just 12 or whatever.

Lingual - Uses Siri to translate words/phrases into different languages for you. It really works!

LockInfo - Makes the lockscreen more useful, lets you see snippets of emails, calendar events, texts, app notifications, etc. Also shows today's weather, which you can swipe over to see a 6-day forecast.

LowPowerBanner - When battery is low, a top-screen banner notification appears instead of a popup message that you have to dismiss.

MultiIconMover - What the name says. Lets you move multiple homescreen icons around at once (when in "wiggle mode" tap each icon you're going to move, which adds a checkmark, then go to the place where you want the icons to move to and hit the home button; they'll just appear there)

Music Controls Pro - Gives you extra control over any audio you play. If you open your app-switcher tray, it'll look like this. Also lets you add swipe controls to the lockscreen so you don't even have to look at the phone if you want to skip to the next song or whatever. I believe you can actually make it so that the swipes work even if the screen isn't on, but I might be wrong and I wouldn't want that anyway. Works with 3rd-party apps like Spotify and Pandora.

NCSettings - Adds various toggles to Notification Center and the lockscreen (wifi, volume, brightness, power options, airplane mode, bluetooth, private Safari browsing). I use this as a replacement for SBSettings.

NoNewsIsGoodNews - Hides NewsStand icon.

Scrobbl - Scrobbles your music to Last.fm.

SmallBanners - Smaller-sized notification banners. Reduces them to the thickness of the status bar instead of being double that size.

Switcherland - Lets you use the app-switcher tray in landscape, not just portrait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled

MickRaider posted:

What is everyone elses "My phone is jailbroken and these apps are always on it" list

In addition to what everyone else has said: (especially LockInfo, MyWi, BiteSMS, iFile, etc...)

Bars - More granular signal strength display. Makes it so the "highest" bar on your signal strength display can be like, a half or quarter bar or whatever instead of always a full one. Useful for deciding whether or not to attempt streaming that YouTube video over 3G.
ShakeToUndo Killer - Who seriously thought shake to undo was a good thing?
SpringFlash - Lets you set up a gesture in Activator (for me, pressing both volume buttons) to turn on the camera flash as a flashlight.

I'm playing around with these, but not sure if I'll keep them:

ManualCorrect - Instead of tapping to cancel autocorrect, now you tap to trigger autocorrect. Makes you realize how good of a thing autocorrect is. Gonna try to get used to it more before deleting.
Insomnia - Keeps your WiFi turned on while the phone is locked, with an SBS toggle. Trying to use it so remote mouse/keyboard programs don't disconnect on lock (for HTPC) but it's not very consistent. Will probably keep anyway.

VVV It's not the undo I have a problem with. I love undo buttons. It's just shaking your phone is something that happens accidentally very often. It also feels like a gimmicky bad design from someone who thought they were being clever by making the iPhone like an Etch-a-sketch.

glompix fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jun 27, 2012

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

Whenever my body starts to feel sick, I just stop being sick and be awesome instead.

glompix posted:

Well, I've actually used shake-to-undo a few times, when I've accidentally deleted a big chunk of text. But even so, I thought there was an option in Settings.app to disable it?

edit: now that I look at my settings page, I can't find it. Could've sworn I'd seen it somewhere though...

bazaar apparatus fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jun 27, 2012

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

real_scud posted:

I finally picked up Location Spoofer yesterday and I can't get it to work at all. Can anyone who has it and is on 5.1.1 get it to work properly?

I wish the interface was better for LocationSpoofer. It's not intuitive to have the main feature, setting your spoofed location, somewhat hidden away.

To set your desired location, you go to settings then fake location settings. You drag the bullseye where you want to spoof. It's that easy. Or you can manually input long, lat coordinates by hitting the blue arrow in the bullseye pin.

Remember, this only spoofs your gps information. So if you're using a service that determines location by IP, you're hosed. You'll need a proxy for that.

Once you've set your location, you're good to go. LocationSpoofer will prompt you before the iOS "Camera would like to use your Location, Allow or Deny" prompt.

In that prompt you can elect to have it spoof just this instance, always spoof, real location just this instance, or real location always.

The rules for each application is customizable in LocationSpoofer under the "Never Spoof" or "Always Spoof" app lists.

My primary application of this tool is to circumvent blackout restrictions for baseball games via the MLB At Bat app. I've paid $130 to watch my team, and I refuse to be blacked out! This works, of course, because the app uses GPS , not IP, to determine locations.

Aside from the above use and checking into Facebook from obscure and exotic locations to trip people out, I've found no other use for this program. It is very valuable for me during baseball season and despite my stupid jokes in my previous post, this really is a HUGE reason why I jailbreak.

There are bugs, though. I've emailed the developer a week ago but haven't heard a response. The new Dropbox app, for example, won't prompt me for my permission to use the camera roll, for example. It says my location services is turned off when it's not. Any location based requests with Siri don't work for me either, as it always thinks im in my spoofed location. I've scoured the Never Spoof list and ticked the ones I thought might fix it-basically any stock apple app-but still doesn't work.

It's a trade off I'm willing to make because I love baseball so much for some stupid reason.
Overall, Im very happy with it. Oh, and I'm running the same firmware as you on a 4S.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

glompix posted:

How do you Undo things then if this is disabled?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Xenomorph posted:

I've never used the 'undo' feature on my phone before, when would you do that? Other than to accidentally undo what you just typed?

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

TraderStav posted:

I've never used the 'undo' feature on my phone before, when would you do that? Other than to accidentally undo what you just typed?

To purposely undo what I just typed?

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled

Xenomorph posted:

I never make a mistake. Ever. :c00lbert:

Actually, the only app I ever need to undo something in has an undo button, so I don't need to shake. I don't do anything complex enough on my phone to really warrant the effort of shaking, clicking that confirmation button, and settling back into whatever I'm doing. If it's text I just select-all + backspace.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

TraderStav posted:

Sometimes when you're copying and pasting you might accidentally type on the keyboard , replacing your selected text with whatever keystroke. It's invaluable in that situation.

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

decypher posted:

Sometimes when you're copying and pasting you might accidentally type on the keyboard , replacing your selected text with whatever keystroke. It's invaluable in that situation.

That's exactly when I've used it in the past. Before that, I would've called it a silly feature too, but now I see why it's there. And it's not like I ever accidentally activate the thing, you have to shake the phone pretty drat hard in my experience.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

bazaar apparatus posted:

That's exactly when I've used it in the past. Before that, I would've called it a silly feature too, but now I see why it's there. And it's not like I ever accidentally activate the thing, you have to shake the phone pretty drat hard in my experience.

Not on my phone.

Manc Hill
Jul 19, 2001

^^this is u ^^this is me
Help please :(

Just jailbroke my iphone 4 (5.1.1) using absinthe. That part all went ok, restored the backup afterwards. Now I just ran Cydia for the first time, it came up "preparing filesystem", and after it closed I no longer have any of the standard apps, message, mail, safari etc etc. No idea how to get them back!

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
Not mentioned yet.

SPRINGTOMIZE 2 - Does a ton of different things that a lot of these individual tweaks do. Change lock text, change carrier, add dock icons, all kinds of different things.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

TraderStav posted:

Writing down the Service Tag of a Dell, then trying to write something next to it - not noticing that the iPhone has highlighted it in Red and is now replacing the service tag with what I'm typing.

I shake to undo to fix its over-zealous word-correcting.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

decypher posted:

It's a trade off I'm willing to make because I love baseball so much for some stupid reason.
Overall, Im very happy with it. Oh, and I'm running the same firmware as you on a 4S.
Hmm...guess there's something wrong with mine because I have no bullseye icon at all when I go to actually choose a location to spoof to.

It shows a map, and talks about an icon but I don't see anything.

Ezrem
Jan 23, 2006

bazaar apparatus posted:

Welp, I just posted this over in the iPad thread ...

biteSMS - This is worth jailbreaking for alone. When you get a text, you can quickly reply right there, even from the lockscreen. TONS of additional SMS options for advanced users if you're interested in that sort of thing.

Is it just me or does biteSMS kind of suck on an iPad, with respect to screen orientation? Any time I'm in landscape (even with rotation locked) the quick reply window pops up shifted way to the left (half of it under the keyboard) and when I launch the app itself I have to watch it rotate from portrait every time it opens, which most apps don't do.

Also, since I haven't seen anyone mention it lately, WiCarrier is really nice. It changes your carrier name (iPad, AT&T, Verizon, whatever) to whatever WiFi network you happen to be on, when you're connected. It also shows your IP address if you tap that section of the status bar. When you're not WiFi connected, it just shows your carrier name.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Hamburlgar posted:

Installed BytaFont and am now using the Hatori Hanzo font.

<3

Same here, it's brilliant! I tried out American Typewriter for a bit because I loved how it looked in all my minimalist apps, but serifs don't really work that well plastered all over your working environment,

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Zigmidge posted:

Same here, it's brilliant! I tried out American Typewriter for a bit because I loved how it looked in all my minimalist apps, but serifs don't really work that well plastered all over your working environment,

I've been *against* theming my iPhone since like, the 3G, but I couldn't resist Bytafont and Hattori Hanzo today after you guys talked it up. It's.. I love it!!

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe
Can someone post some screens of Hattoi Hanzo in use? As in, some actual apps or situations?

I took a look at it and from the screenshots available, it didn't seem appealing at all.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

I guess if I had to describe what I like about it, it feels a little more whimsical, without being like, silly Comic Sans bullshit that a person should be embarassed about.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Ezrem posted:

Also, since I haven't seen anyone mention it lately, WiCarrier is really nice. It changes your carrier name (iPad, AT&T, Verizon, whatever) to whatever WiFi network you happen to be on, when you're connected. It also shows your IP address if you tap that section of the status bar. When you're not WiFi connected, it just shows your carrier name.

Thanks for this.

I like Hattori Hanzo a lot, but Sansation is my personal favorite.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Is there a tweak out yet to disable the automatic clearing of notifications from the lockscreen?

I think I need to clarify because googling wasn't helping.

The normal behavior for apps that are set to show notifications on the lockscreen is to show the notification with swipe to open on the slider. After you lock the screen or leave the phone alone you can swipe across the notification to open it, or you can open your phone without opening the app. However, after you lock the phone again the notification is gone. I don't like that and would really like the notifications to stay there until I dismiss them.

Does a tweak exist for this?

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

real_scud posted:

Hmm...guess there's something wrong with mine because I have no bullseye icon at all when I go to actually choose a location to spoof to.

It shows a map, and talks about an icon but I don't see anything.

Tap and hold on a location on the map and it should appear. Another example of it being clunky and non-intuitive.

Edit: In retrospect it is intuitive because tap-hold is how you create pins on the stock maps app.

decypher fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jun 28, 2012

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

So I've got my status bar color changed but is there a way to change the message bubble colors thats easier than editing the actual files like a program or something?

Yeti Yeti Yeti
Mar 27, 2010

MickRaider posted:

One that I haven's seen mentioned yet is Spotdict, which lets you search the built in dictionary from Spotlight. I don't know why this isn't a built in feature. Also, it is free.

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled

tuyop posted:

Is there a tweak out yet to disable the automatic clearing of notifications from the lockscreen?

I think I need to clarify because googling wasn't helping.

The normal behavior for apps that are set to show notifications on the lockscreen is to show the notification with swipe to open on the slider. After you lock the screen or leave the phone alone you can swipe across the notification to open it, or you can open your phone without opening the app. However, after you lock the phone again the notification is gone. I don't like that and would really like the notifications to stay there until I dismiss them.

Does a tweak exist for this?

I think LockInfo behaves that way. It's a $ app, but there should be a trial version as well to try. You can either respond to the notification whenever, or tap a little x to dismiss it without acknowledgment. It will replace whatever Apple does on the LS with it's InfoShade, but it's actually a pretty big improvement.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The three recent long posts of people's favorite JB apps got me to look at BiteSMS again. I didn't install it before because it was pay to use, but now it's ad supported, oh man. :swoon:

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

decypher posted:

Tap and hold on a location on the map and it should appear. Another example of it being clunky and non-intuitive.

Edit: In retrospect it is intuitive because tap-hold is how you create pins on the stock maps app.
I've tried that as well because I thought it'd be like the maps app and even after tap-holding I still see no bullseye of any sort. So I think something isn't working and guess I need to email the author of the app

Wolf on Air
Dec 31, 2004

Combat Instructor
Armed Forces, Time-Space Administration Bureau
I'm pretty happy with the complementary Messages+ that was included in my IntelliScreenX purchase, it adds just exactly what is needed and nothing more.

Man, I have a pretty insane amount of tweaks installed now, I'm surprised the phone still works pretty good, though I've had a few very random issues, like a registration/no-carrier loop that I suspect callbar of causing, but I've only seen it once so far. Favourite pay addon aside from ISX is probably Firewall, but I also ended up paying through the nose for PKGBackup because pretty much everything else sucks in one way or another, not that it isn't also a lot buggy.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

real_scud posted:

I've tried that as well because I thought it'd be like the maps app and even after tap-holding I still see no bullseye of any sort. So I think something isn't working and guess I need to email the author of the app

You know, after I wrote that I had a faint recollection of that marker being in the middle of the Atlantic ocean first time I looked at the settings.

Sorry it isn't working properly. I'd uninstall it, reboot your phone, and reinstall if you haven't already tried that. Good luck, duder.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Has anyone, perchance, come across an addon that automatically quits you to the home screen when you lock your phone? I keep forgetting and then have issues with chat clients connecting automatically whenever I unlock my phone :shobon:

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003
I have a question, is there any tweak that will allow you to set how long it takes for the screen to auto-dim and further, how long til it auto-locks?

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

hunter x az posted:

I have a question, is there any tweak that will allow you to set how long it takes for the screen to auto-dim and further, how long til it auto-locks?
ScreenDimmer for your first request

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled
drat, after all that Hattori Hanzo font talk, I had to try it. I'm normally skeptical about tweaks like this, but god drat this font looks good. Everyone needs to try it, at least on retina.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

glompix posted:

drat, after all that Hattori Hanzo font talk, I had to try it. I'm normally skeptical about tweaks like this, but god drat this font looks good. Everyone needs to try it, at least on retina.

yeah, i put it on there with some other tweaks. Its amazing. Hopefully ios6 is a quick jb when its actually released.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

Yeah putting the font on this phone makes it feel much less clunky for some reason. I cant imagine going back to stock

Wolf on Air
Dec 31, 2004

Combat Instructor
Armed Forces, Time-Space Administration Bureau
My favourite font to date: http://www.google.com/webfonts/specimen/Carme (it's in Cydia)

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Anybody know of a way to kill the Siri sound when you hold the button? It drives me crazy when I accidently do it at work and everyone can hear it. The mute button should mute everything but the alarm.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

nate fisher posted:

Anybody know of a way to kill the Siri sound when you hold the button? It drives me crazy when I accidently do it at work and everyone can hear it. The mute button should mute everything but the alarm.

After you hold the button and the Siri window comes up, use the volume controls. Siri has a separate volume control than other apps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

If anyone is interested in making Chrome their default browser it's now easily possible on jailbroken devices:
http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-set-chrome-as-the-default-web-browser-on-iphone-ipod-touch-and-ipad/

Also supports: Opera Mni, iCab Mobile, Dolphin Browser and Atomic Browser.

• Locked thread