Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Lethemonster posted:

I just put myself down for the Biohazard and terrain level of the Sedition Wars set on Kickstarter. I'm super psyched about it. I wanted to get their one off characters too but it being kickstarter I didn't want to throw too much money into it in case something went horribly wrong.

But now I really want an Isaac Clarke model. Does anyone do a good likeness?

Oh man. I dropped 100 bucks on the Zombicide kickstarter and this one looks just as awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'll trade an Abomination copy of Zombicide for whatever the equivalent for Sedition Wars is. :v:

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
I want this, but none of the places I find it will ship over seas. Please help me, goons! Is there an international seller of this product?

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!
Make your own: sheet cork and some spray-on adhesive. Both should be available where ever you may happen to be, usually both at an art supply store.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

Not a viking posted:

I want this, but none of the places I find it will ship over seas. Please help me, goons! Is there an international seller of this product?
Do you not have office supply stores in Europe?
They would have it.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
What is this "office" you speak of?

Seems like most of the cork boards are a bit to thick for my liking, but I guess I can cut it :effort:

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
A bit random, but can someone measure the corner-to-corner diameter of their Citadel color pot? I'm going to make my own painting station out of foam board and want to allow for the different brands of paint, where possible.

Also, can any acrylic flow improver/drying retarder work with Vallejo? At some point I want to try blending colors and apparently this helps a lot.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

krushgroove posted:

Also, can any acrylic flow improver/drying retarder work with Vallejo? At some point I want to try blending colors and apparently this helps a lot.

Any improver should work with any acrylic water-based paint. I'd hope, anyways.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

TotalHell posted:

Maybe they shouldn't have been drinking Leinenkugel's before zipping around the battlefield at high speeds.

Warning: The Emperor demands thy responsibility while imbibing and purging!

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Another battlesuit for the mecha throne. Now with 100% less dicks.

Size comparison

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Z the IVth posted:

Another battlesuit for the mecha throne. Now with 100% less dicks.

Jesus, how big was it before? :psyduck:

Looks fantastic, by the way. I do feel I should ask, do you just make mechs for fun, or do you intend to make a game or something based off of them?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Sole.Sushi posted:

Infinitely bigger :v:

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jun 28, 2012

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sole.Sushi posted:

Looks fantastic, by the way. I do feel I should ask, do you just make mechs for fun, or do you intend to make a game or something based off of them?

I make them for fun really. I did toy with the idea of putting them into a game when I had enough of them (4 would count). However I can't really think of a system which would do better than Infinity, or any of the other gazillion sci-fi skirmish games out there. I would need some infantry to go with the mechs though, and I am rubbish at sculpting those.

Edit: Also it never had a dick. I'm just referencing my first battlesuit (the Bouncer aka mini-dickbot) and the second one (the Pendekar aka Dickbot Mk2). I consciously stayed away from any protrusions in the groin region...

Recursive Expanse
May 4, 2011
You were doing really good on that non-dickbot design, but you need to look at that right arm again. Maybe it's just that the curves are too organic, but it's on the razors edge of phallic imagery. I almost thought you put that there as a joke. It's still awesome though.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Recursive Expanse posted:

Maybe it's just that the curves are too organic, but it's on the razors edge of phallic imagery.

I'm not sure that he's done with that arm. :v:

Z the IVth posted:

I make them for fun really. I did toy with the idea of putting them into a game when I had enough of them (4 would count). However I can't really think of a system which would do better than Infinity, or any of the other gazillion sci-fi skirmish games out there. I would need some infantry to go with the mechs though, and I am rubbish at sculpting those.

There are a million and one board games, but that doesn't stop people from enjoying all of them. And who says you need to do infantry? Maybe all wars are fought by proxy in the far future. Maybe they aren't wars, but a gladiatorial spectacle? Still, they look very nice, even with the dicks.

Sole.Sushi fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jun 28, 2012

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Cross posting my inability to paint! yay!

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Recursive Expanse posted:

You were doing really good on that non-dickbot design, but you need to look at that right arm again. Maybe it's just that the curves are too organic, but it's on the razors edge of phallic imagery. I almost thought you put that there as a joke. It's still awesome though.

That arm's about to get amputated in the near future. See the black line? That's where the actual arm ends. I've left the extra length of it attached so I have something to hold onto when I sculpt. When I said no dicks... I mean no dicks. :ese:

Sole.Sushi posted:

There are a million and one board games, but that doesn't stop people from enjoying all of them. And who says you need to do infantry? Maybe all wars are fought by proxy in the far future. Maybe they aren't wars, but a gladiatorial spectacle? Still, they look very nice, even with the dicks.

I will have to think about writing something up, or just working with another small-scale producer who is in need of battlesuits.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Sab669 posted:

Cross posting my inability to paint! yay!

The bone parts look really good man. Overall you have a lot of work to do to get as lovely a job as me though.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Crosspostin' Trollbloods up in this

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.

Ye Worse User-name posted:

The bone parts look really good man. Overall you have a lot of work to do to get as lovely a job as me though.

Nothing like wargaming to bring about self deprecation. Typhon and the Kriel Warriors are looking boss as Hell, dudes. Ye Worst, I don't recall your stuff off hand, but I know everyone is their own worst critic in this hobby. My point is keep it up, nothing gets worse with practice.

Oh, since a housemate of mine wants practice, I'll be doing some KoW Dwarfs with him soon! :toot:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Got a question here goons and goonettes, what do you lot use to spur on your painting ability? I find that as much as I enjoy painting, it falls to the way side a hell of a lot and it's easy to get distracted and as such my pace is monolithic.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Check out the oath thread. But really a sense of guilt when another week rolls by and I play my opponent and he has managed to paint another unit of 30 miniatures and I maybe have managed to undercoat some.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Flipswitch posted:

Got a question here goons and goonettes, what do you lot use to spur on your painting ability? I find that as much as I enjoy painting, it falls to the way side a hell of a lot and it's easy to get distracted and as such my pace is monolithic.

I've only just started playing 40K but have tons of unpainted/stripped miniatures from years ago (I bought a KR case with 144 slots and nearly filled it with all of my old figures...sadly only about 30 are painted to a usable standard) - basically I've tried to houserule with my friends that all of our armies must have *some* sort of painting progress between games. In the case of my Dark Eldar, that ranges from assembly all the way to the finished product - my Reavers are all assembled now, but there are about 20 troops remaining to be built, plus I want to modify some of the Kabalites into Trueborn with Green Stuff.

I haven't painted in years, so I'm starting slowly by painting up a bunch of Genestealers I bought ages ago (to use in a space RPG setting), so I can get the hang of taking off mold lines, assembling, etc. I've quickly come to the realization I'll be watching a lot more movies or listening to loads of podcasts as I paint!

I don't really understand how the oath thing works, plus I want to get more comfortable painting before I commit to anything.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
Painting motivation strategies, the KingMob way:

• Join oath threads!
  • Set goals for the above that you know you can achieve. My output is generally low, but with a busy home life I'm used to planning out my free time 1 month ahead.
  • Come to accept what you judge is good enough for you. When you reach the point that you are sufficiently happy with you model, call it a day. This isn't to say you shouldn't challenge yourself, but you'll get a better feel for your baseline quality.
  • Establish a painting reward system. Since the start of the year I've "earned" the purchase of new models by painting my backlog. For example, if I really want that Stormwall (19 points), I have to paint 38 points worth of other models. It's worked really well so far, cut down on my spending and increased my output.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
The Oath thread really helps my painting; I was pretty busy last month and wouldn't have done a thing if I hadn't oathed some skeletons at the start. I'd just have left them for another month or two if I hadn't promised to someone else to paint them!

Don't be scared of oathing either, the minimum is 3 models for an entire month and while some people's painting is outrageously good, you only need to do to a standard that you're happy with.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
This has been my method since I was about 12

1. Spend all disposable income on models
2. Don't paint for months
3. Paint 2 armies in a couple of months in a rush for a tournament
4. Play a tournament with the armies then sell them because you are bored with them

repeat.

Luckily I have been pretty productive iwth my painting in the last couple of years. Speaking of which. I am working on one of my Thunderhorse Heavy Metal Lords on Juggernaut at work because it is slow as gently caress. Expect photos when something exciting happens (probably dropping the lead model on my foot and spouting some colourful Australian cursing)

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I did another thing. Had a go at doing an Ork this time.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Lovely orc! I'm not usually impressed with orcs but that is really nice, I love the axe and face.

KingMob posted:

Painting motivation strategies, the KingMob way:

• Join oath threads!
  • Set goals for the above that you know you can achieve. My output is generally low, but with a busy home life I'm used to planning out my free time 1 month ahead.
  • Come to accept what you judge is good enough for you. When you reach the point that you are sufficiently happy with you model, call it a day. This isn't to say you shouldn't challenge yourself, but you'll get a better feel for your baseline quality.
  • Establish a painting reward system. Since the start of the year I've "earned" the purchase of new models by painting my backlog. For example, if I really want that Stormwall (19 points), I have to paint 38 points worth of other models. It's worked really well so far, cut down on my spending and increased my output.

I like the points reward thing - I'll have to implement that starting two weeks ago. Also I'll have to settle on what's good for me, I'd love to do some really good character pieces but starting with armies done assembly-line style is probably where I need to be right now. Hopefully I'll be up to scratch when I'm done with them and I get started on my Infinity figures.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

serious gaylord posted:

I did another thing. Had a go at doing an Ork this time.

I may be shooting myself in the foot here but why are you not in the Oath thread? You are a good painted I mean drat.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

Basecoat of Coat d'Arms Magic Metal (Old GW Tin Bitz) with a light drybrush of Golden Griffon (GW Dry)

Then highlighted with Mithril Silver with some scratches added with thin, fine lines of the silver.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
Today's Tin Bitz looks nothing like that, however. Its more of a dark bronze.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

CyberLord XP posted:

I may be shooting myself in the foot here but why are you not in the Oath thread? You are a good painted I mean drat.

Because I dont like painting to feel like a chore. Anything that ends with me saying 'Got to finish this by next week' will make me put it down and leave it for 9 months.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

Miles O'Brian posted:

Today's Tin Bitz looks nothing like that, however. Its more of a dark bronze.

It looks like that because it has a drybrush of golden griffon over it. It is a very close match.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

serious gaylord posted:

Because I dont like painting to feel like a chore. Anything that ends with me saying 'Got to finish this by next week' will make me put it down and leave it for 9 months.

Welp, just keep posting the :krad: stuff here then.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains

Big Willy Style posted:

It looks like that because it has a drybrush of golden griffon over it. It is a very close match.

I also forgot for a minute that Tin Bitz isnt even a thing anymore.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

serious gaylord posted:

You should consider judging next year, then. Going by your skill, you'd probably do a right fine job at it.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.

Sculpting some hair on to C.Hoffman to model him after Vincent from Silent Hill, think it makes him look quite dashing.

Really want to paint these guys up, but holding my horses for the Oath thread. Really wish you could submit early for the next month but I suppose that's not in the spirit of the exercise. :ohdear:

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

krushgroove posted:

Lovely orc! I'm not usually impressed with orcs but that is really nice, I love the axe and face.

I like the points reward thing - I'll have to implement that starting two weeks ago. Also I'll have to settle on what's good for me, I'd love to do some really good character pieces but starting with armies done assembly-line style is probably where I need to be right now. Hopefully I'll be up to scratch when I'm done with them and I get started on my Infinity figures.

Be careful with assembly line painting. It gets poo poo done but if you're anything like me it quickly saps your will to paint/live. I cannot stand to paint more than 3 or so models at once.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Dominion posted:

Be careful with assembly line painting. It gets poo poo done but if you're anything like me it quickly saps your will to paint/live. I cannot stand to paint more than 3 or so models at once.

I know what you mean! I was putting the first base coat on the Genestealers last night and the movie I was watching ended...I couldn't stop painting to start another movie because I was in a painting groove, but I didn't want to continue painting because I wasn't listening to anything. It was weird. I used to watch tons of movies over and over while painting, I just need to get back in the swing of things.

But with the assembly-line painting I just want to get these particular models to 'tabletop quality' so I have a group of figures with matching colors (partly to accomplish something, partly to build up my confidence). Once I get to the 40K guys I actually use I'm hoping I'll have the method down a bit more and slow down for more quality and attention to detail. The plan for the Infinity models is to give them the full 100% treatment. So hopefully I work my way up :) I've been watching tons of videos on blending, washing, basing, painting eyes, etc., and I'm itching to try all the techniques, but I need to slowly work my way up and not get ahead of myslef. The Infinity models are intended to be full-on 'character/display' models (hopefully).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
My suggestion would be to not worry about blending at this point. Master being able to put down an even smooth coat with no brushstrokes, then learn to shade with washes and highlight with drybrushing, then edge highlighting, especially for hard armored models.

I've been painting for years, have done some stuff I am really very proud of, and only did my first real grown up blend last week. It's hard, and its frustrating to get right, so it helps to have solid fundamentals to use before you start banging your head against blending.

It also helps to know that there's a bunch of different techniques you can use for blends. Wet blending, 2-brush blending, and glazes are a few, and are all very different ways to get a smooth gradient between colors. One may suit you more than another. I can't really get my head around wet blending but 2-brush and glazing both make more intuitive sense to me.

• Locked thread