Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Awesome, time to go picture taking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

1982 expired kodak slidefilm (forgot which) was one of the first rolls i ran though my p645N:

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
This talk of expired film reminded me of something that happened a little while ago that I don't think I talked about here.

Back in about March, I gave my girlfriend a roll of very expired (like, 1970's) Kodak TMax to run through her Canon AE-1. She went out for a drive with a friend, and when we developed it at my place - her first time developing film - we got very weird results.

Jason photographs a ghost by requinamoore, on Flickr

It wasn't until we scanned the very poor-looking negatives and started looking at the images on my computer that we figured out what had happened.

I bought the film in a lot of 14 rolls of mixed, old film from an ebay seller. I think he, or somebody, had at one point loaded the roll and shot the first 7 or 8 frames in a jazz club or someplace like that, then rewound the film but left the leader sticking out. A flutist, a drummer, a bongo-player (or similar), and a saxophonist showed up, against a badly fogged background and her double-exposures over top of wintertime Saskatchewan landscapes.

I've still got a couple of rolls of that vintage film from that seller in my 'fridge.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Caterpillar Photographer by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

Getting back into the groove by processing some unscanned stuff. My brother took this using my camera while I was using his camera to take a photo of the caterpillar-shaped blob on the left there. Taken using a Pentax UC-1 (aka Espio Mini) on Portra 400.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Have any of you guys done a complete cold turkey switch from digital to film?

I'm really on the fence. The Contax G1 is calling me, and I can count on one hand the number of times I've gone out shooting with my D200 and actually enjoyed the experience in the past year. Mostly just feelings of "god this loving camera is huge".

I like to do mostly portrait-y peoplewatching street photos, and generally just things that I think film might be fine for anyway. The D200 is generally too big for me to use inconspicuously, and anything I do to fix that, like switching my 24-70 to a 35 or 50 1.8, seems to be a half-assed attempt that could be achieved better by just getting a smaller camera. I'm not really too thrilled with any digital point and shoots (in my price range), so I'm really considering just dumping digital altogether.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jun 30, 2012

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Have any of you guys done a complete cold turkey switch from digital to film?

I'm really on the fence. The Contax G1 is calling me, and I can count on one hand the number of times I've gone out shooting with my D200 and actually enjoyed the experience in the past year. Mostly just feelings of "god this loving camera is huge".

I like to do mostly portrait-y peoplewatching street photos, and generally just things that I think film might be fine for anyway. The D200 is generally too big for me to use inconspicuously, and anything I do to fix that, like switching my 24-70 to a 35 or 50 1.8, seems to be a half-assed attempt that could be achieved better by just getting a smaller camera. I'm not really too thrilled with any digital point and shoots (in my price range), so I'm really considering just dumping digital altogether.

I've swung between digital and film, but never completely eliminated one or the other. I think at the high point of ennui with my 5D I was shooting with a 35mm rangefinder (for more casual stuff) and 4x5 for more serious stuff (while still using a 5D or 5Dmk2 for professional work), but after I got my NEX the 35mm fell by the wayside, and I've been moving away from 4x5 and towards medium format for more "serious" stuff, although the NEX actually does a pretty decent job of that too. I feel like each has it's place, especially if you do the occasional gig for money.

I did get to shoot a wedding ceremony with a Speed Graphic though, that was pretty cool. Unfortunately I gave the bride the negatives/Polaroids to scan (she has an MFA and does a better job of that stuff than I do) and never got them back.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I think I almost have an advantage in this case because I don't actually do any paid work. I think if I did any paid jobs this wouldn't even be a question. No way would I be able to ditch digital then :)

And honestly if I wasn't on a budget I would probably hang onto the D200. It's already old so it's not going to deprecate at an incredible clip at this point. But since I am I think I need to make a decision one way or the other.

I guess I just needed to talk it out. I'm probably going to do it since I don't have a ball-bustin' setup so worst case I just spend five or six hundred in two years and I'm back where I was.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Have you thought about the new Fuji digital rangefinders? The Xpro1 or X100? The downside being they cost big bucks.

Also, if you buy a half decent film camera in good condition, if you don't like it in 6 months you'll be able to sell it for what you paid, no worries. If you by MF you might even make some cash with the way prices are going these days.

My opinion is to sell the digital ASAP and get as much cash as you can for it, switch to film, if you like it, good. If not, sell the film gear and get a better spec DSLR for the same price as you paid for the old one (due to the never ending march of technology).

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah I would love an X100 or XP1 but they're way out of my budget.

I honestly think my mind is already made up, it's just that I've made so so so many impulse buys in my life that I'm worried I'm just doing it again so I'm trying to drag it out and discuss it as much as I can.

But I think it's coming. That Contax is calling my name all the way from Georgia.

Now if only KEH didn't want $60 to ship a $115 camera to Canada :suicide:

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Martytoof posted:

<snip>

Yeah I would love an X100 or XP1 but they're way out of my budget.
<snip>
But I think it's coming. That Contax is calling my name all the way from Georgia.

Now if only KEH didn't want $60 to ship a $115 camera to Canada :suicide:

I get the sense that money is very much a issue. Do you have lots of contax G glass already? Have you checked the prices on it? I have and it doesn't seem like a affordable system to get into.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Have you looked at the x10? I wrote it off at first for the small sensor and crappy optical viewfinder, but it's actually been a lot of fun and I really like the results I get with it for half the cost of the x100. More if you are looking for an all in one very portable solution, though.

Alternately you should look at an Olympus XA, I just got one recently and they are also a ton of fun.

Man_of_Teflon fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Jun 30, 2012

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
The NEX 5N has a ridiculously good sensor for the price and is small and light enough that it brings the joy of film back to digital as far as shooting goes. Using the screen folded out makes for a TLR-like experience and not having an EVF makes it a lot like shooting with ground glass. It has an electronic front curtain shutter so the shutter sounds a lot more like a rangefinder in operation.

The Sigma 30mm f/2.8 is a small and light lens but the NEX is one of the best camera bodies around for use with manual lenses because of the focus peaking.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

NihilismNow posted:

I get the sense that money is very much a issue. Do you have lots of contax G glass already? Have you checked the prices on it? I have and it doesn't seem like a affordable system to get into.

Money is an issue, but I'm really only interested in the 45 f/2 which is still doable on my budget.

E: thanks everyone. I didn't mean to clog up the film thread with gearchat so I might locate that to a more appropriate thread, but it's nice to know there are options :)

widunder
May 2, 2002
Somebody in (I believe) this thread mentioned Asian eBay dealers with free shipping where you can get film cheaply. Any pointers?

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
My film SLR is a Canon EOS 650. Has anyone ever shot with a 1V? What would be the differences I'd expect in the operation?

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
I haven't shot the 1v, but I've tried the other 1 series and I shoot with a 3. The main difference is build quality and better autofocus. There are other bells and whistles that you get (multi-spot metering, full manual, flash exposure controls, frame rate, tons of custom functions, 1/8000 shutter, weather sealing, and the back wheel control), but you can probably live without those things. Unless you find a crazy deal on one though you can get the 1n or the 3 which have all the same features for a fraction of the price.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Allso, the 1v isn't a Pentax ME Super. Big drawback there.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

nemoulette posted:

Somebody in (I believe) this thread mentioned Asian eBay dealers with free shipping where you can get film cheaply. Any pointers?

That might have been me.
Film:
http://stores.ebay.ca/lomofilmshop
http://stores.ebay.ca/continentalphotos
http://stores.ebay.ca/filmcarnival

I've used the last one - shows up as "Film Festival", and is in Thailand - several times. Shipping times to the flat middle part of Canada run around two-to-three weeks. Basically, I go into ebay, categories, cameras & photo, film, and just sort by whatever I'm looking for (35mm, B&W, cost+shipping lowest first) and go from there. Film Festival often offers free shipping, which I like.

Batteries:
http://stores.ebay.ca/hillflowerstore

Mr. Despair posted:

Allso, the 1v isn't a Pentax ME Super. Big drawback there.
I have run film from at least one of these sellers through my ME Super. Works great.

widunder
May 2, 2002

ExecuDork posted:

That might have been me.
Film:
http://stores.ebay.ca/lomofilmshop
http://stores.ebay.ca/continentalphotos
http://stores.ebay.ca/filmcarnival

I've used the last one - shows up as "Film Festival", and is in Thailand - several times. Shipping times to the flat middle part of Canada run around two-to-three weeks. Basically, I go into ebay, categories, cameras & photo, film, and just sort by whatever I'm looking for (35mm, B&W, cost+shipping lowest first) and go from there. Film Festival often offers free shipping, which I like.

Batteries:
http://stores.ebay.ca/hillflowerstore
Thanks buddy!

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!
I just got a Rebel 2000 at goodwill for 10 bux. Body only. Good deal?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

ASSTASTIC posted:

I just got a Rebel 2000 at goodwill for 10 bux. Body only. Good deal?

Depends on the condition. KEH.com sells them for $7-14 depending on condition. So that's a pretty standard price!

Speaking of which, my girlfriend enjoyed using my Pentax Super ME since all she's used to is Holgas and Lomography cameras. So I picked up an outfit on KEH for basically free (I had no idea Super MEs were so cheap) - I'm the best boyfriend :cool:

Which makes me wonder - what is the difference between the Super ME and the K1000? I know the K1000 is the de facto "student camera", but what justifies $80 vs. $15 or so?

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Jul 3, 2012

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

QPZIL posted:

Depends on the condition. KEH.com sells them for $7-14 depending on condition. So that's a pretty standard price!

Speaking of which, my girlfriend enjoyed using my Pentax Super ME since all she's used to is Holgas and Lomography cameras. So I picked up an outfit on KEH for basically free (I had no idea Super MEs were so cheap) - I'm the best boyfriend :cool:

Which makes me wonder - what is the difference between the Super ME and the K1000? I know the K1000 is the de facto "student camera", but what justifies $80 vs. $15 or so?

The k1000 was hella durable, hella cheap, and they made millions of them (production didn't stop until 1997). The ME series was designed more to be compact, one of the smallest slrs ever, so thats what you wind up paying for, plus the fact that there are less of them.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

Mr. Despair posted:

The k1000 was hella durable, hella cheap, and they made millions of them (production didn't stop until 1997). The ME series was designed more to be compact, one of the smallest slrs ever, so thats what you wind up paying for, plus the fact that there are less of them.

Also the ME super has aperture priority auto exposure, the k1000 is fully manual.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

K1000 has a needle matching meter indicator, which is the best kind.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Er, what I'm saying is that the K1000 is more expensive than the Super ME which is what I don't get.

But thanks for the info on the differences, I didn't know that.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

QPZIL posted:

Er, what I'm saying is that the K1000 is more expensive than the Super ME which is what I don't get.

But thanks for the info on the differences, I didn't know that.

Oh yeah, that's the nostalgia tax actually. MX, K2 and ME Super are all better (imo).

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Mr. Despair posted:

Also the ME has a much bigger, brighter, better screen and is aperture priority.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Nostalgia tax. The K1000 was (and still is, on second-hand postings) marketed as a student camera. Bojidar Dimitrov's opinion is:

Bojidar Dimitrov posted:

The K1000's total lack of convenience features might explain the cult status of the camera among photo students worldwide, but it fails to explain its popularity with Pentax enthusiasts. I mean, do you people not miss viewfinder information on aperture and shutter speed, a self-timer, a DOF preview lever or minimal flash automation? Wouldn't an MX, KX or a KM be a better choice?

So, people remember paying $200 for a K1000+lens in 1985, and think it is still worth that much. And buyers are willing to agree with that. Ironically, the MX was marketed as a near-professional level camera (I don't know if the term "prosumer" had been coined in the late 1970's), and can now be picked up for less than 1/2 the price of the "for students!" K1000.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Is home developing C-41 worth the hassle? I've only developed black and white before.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

aliencowboy posted:

Is home developing C-41 worth the hassle? I've only developed black and white before.

If you have a competent local place, not at all.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I'd say no, not worth the hassle. I did it, mainly to be able to say "I've done it".

I've since bought a kit for E-6, which seems similar (not that C-41 is very different from B&W), so the practice I gained on C-41 might come in handy. My local camera shop charges $4/roll (36 exp) for C-41 develop only, but $10.75 for E-6 (and they send it far far away so it takes about 2 weeks). That makes the E-6 kit worth it for me, but the benefit was severely eroded by the shipping costs - I had to order the kit from Germany, nobody in North America would send me E-6 chemistry. :argh:

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

ExecuDork posted:

I'd say no, not worth the hassle. I did it, mainly to be able to say "I've done it".

I've since bought a kit for E-6, which seems similar (not that C-41 is very different from B&W), so the practice I gained on C-41 might come in handy. My local camera shop charges $4/roll (36 exp) for C-41 develop only, but $10.75 for E-6 (and they send it far far away so it takes about 2 weeks). That makes the E-6 kit worth it for me, but the benefit was severely eroded by the shipping costs - I had to order the kit from Germany, nobody in North America would send me E-6 chemistry. :argh:

I read somewhere recently that freestyle was going to start carrying the tetenal e-6 kit.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

aliencowboy posted:

And the other pain in the arse is that the chemicals once mixed have a fairly short shelf life, hence its best to have a bunch of rolls ready to go, rather than just occasionally shooting C41/E6.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut
wrong thread

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

eggsovereasy posted:

I read somewhere recently that freestyle was going to start carrying the tetenal e-6 kit.
Which would be great for all you Yanquis, but Freestyle won't ship liquids across the Canadian border. Also, their shipping charges to Canada are stupid anyways. Still, if they start carrying it, E-6 will become more accessible to lots of Americans, so that's good.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I'll be in Santa Barbara the afternoon of the 6th and the night of the 7th if any of you guys want to hang out or show me some cool places to shoot.

Actually I'll be there sometime next week instead.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jul 5, 2012

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
astia owns

that is all

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

thats a lotta RAP

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine