Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Superconsndar posted:

I'd rather harness them both to the chariot, with Frankie in front of Moses, and just point at Frankie and tell Moses to get it.

Would you ever be able to rein him in after an invitation like that? Or do you expect he would drop after the first Frankie-fart?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

TVs Ian posted:

Would you ever be able to rein him in after an invitation like that? Or do you expect he would drop after the first Frankie-fart?

I think Frankie farts are part of his DNA now so they'd prob just cause him to reach his Limit Break.

Speaking of,

Hey, butthole. I have something that you want.

What do I have?

lmao it's something you're NOT ALLOWED TO GET. :owned:

lmao omg whatareyougonnadoaboutit yougottaleaveit :allears:

:allears:

waitaminute you're not supposed to give KISSES. YOU ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO ENJOY THIS. :catstare:

NO!

NO!!!!!

OMG, NO.

BAD DOG!!

Don't bring Frankie into this. YOU'RE NOT A FAMILY. :catstare:!!!

FRANKIE IS THE MOM.

worst family.

(lol got 2 new rats like a month ago finally introing them to dogs so they know These Ones Ain't For Eatin'; the other one gets to say hi tomorrow :3: )

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008
Posting here because I need to rant to someone:

Is this empty nest syndrome or animal hoarding?

Since moving out three years ago, my dad has gone from three cats and two dogs to seven cats and three dogs. The newest one is a kitten he rescued after being hit by a car and left to die in a McDonald's parking lot. The kitten is doing better but he's looking at a $1-2k vet bill for surgery/amputation on a broken leg near the hip. He's adopted something like three animals in the past 18 months and pawned off a kitten on me two years ago. At this point cat #7 is looking like he's going to keep it instead of fostering the cat/taking it to the shelter because it reminds him of how our oldest black cat looked/acted as a kitten. I think his ladyfriend is the one that is bringing these misfit animals to him and taking advantage of his soft heart, because he was always resistant to getting cat #4- I asked for years to get a fourth cat to see if it would help even out the personalities in the house but didn't until I moved out- within a month he had cat #4.

This is excessive, right? He lives in a decently sized house (~1900sq feet) and a big fenced in backyard for the dogs to run in when we take them out. I'm having to move back home for a semester or two to take care of some health issues I'm having, which is why I'm concerned. I'm looking at keeping my cat at my mom's or staying with her because I don't think Widget would be able to handle going from the top banana to #7 or #8, or else she's going to have to live in my bedroom.

The animals are decently cared for, with the eldest cat on liver medicine and everyone getting the right vaccines and vet attention. His house definitely has an animal odor to it and the carpets are pretty gross looking. I know that the cats are stressed out with the constant new additions because two of the newer female cats get picked on by the more dominant ones, and the newest kitten with a broken leg.

I can't exactly report him to the city without being a terrible daughter, but the regulations are pretty clear- 6 dogs/cats total, no more than 4 dogs or 6 cats. We live in a pretty rural city/county so the only reasons people get reported is because someone's got a problem with their neighbor, and the city is incompetent anyway.

I've straight up told him that he shouldn't get any more animals (this was last year, three cats ago :sigh:) but he continues to acquire more animals with sad stories. I figure I'll be able to at least tackle some of the smaller things while I'm home, like working on training the dogs with their recall/obedience skills, but I can't exactly fix the fact that he has so many animals.

Here's a couple of pictures of the little guy from when he was first brought home, then after a few days of TLC/vet visit:

He's cute, but seriously dad. Stop.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy
It seems like if he has the space and resources to take care of them and every one is vetted it's not really a problem. It will suck to have to move back in for awhile but hopefully it won't be long. The fact that he pawned off a kitten actually is a good sign and points to him just being an animal loving softy. It's hard not to worry about your folks but from a completely outside view point it seems OK. I would absolutely not call animal control on my dad if he was vetting these animals and willing to drop thousands and medicate them daily.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Super I think those are the first non-horrifying pics of Frankie I've ever seen :3: They're all adorable together.

Asstro Van
Apr 15, 2007

Always check your blind spots before backing that thang up.
I am super excited! My fiance has given the okay for me to buy this beauty and stick it right in our living room. This is awesome considering that he grew up in a house where cat furniture was barely above knee and was relegated to the basement. He has been fabulously open to my crazy cat ideas :3: We are leaving for a big vacation like now, so I won't be able to get it for a few weeks, but wooooooooo! Lookit all those levels, it's taller than me :allears:

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

Asstro Van posted:

I am super excited! My fiance has given the okay for me to buy this beauty and stick it right in our living room. This is awesome considering that he grew up in a house where cat furniture was barely above knee and was relegated to the basement. He has been fabulously open to my crazy cat ideas :3: We are leaving for a big vacation like now, so I won't be able to get it for a few weeks, but wooooooooo! Lookit all those levels, it's taller than me :allears:

That is one awesome cat palace. I may have to start looking out in the UK for something like that for my Mum's cats, because seriously, look at it! :allears:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Asstro Van posted:

If your cat is heavy at all, you're going to have to mount that thing to a wall. Gabe's got one about that high and he constantly dove to the top of it, wobbled around on it and rode it to the floor. It was mounted to the wall quite quickly.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Look at this kitty. She is at shadow cats, and is tempting me to go see her due to her adorableness.

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/7704995

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

I enjoy having a headrest for my chair - I just wish it didn't always bite me in the back of the head.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Superconsndar posted:

FRANKIE IS THE MOM.

omg :3:

I challenge your cute ~family~ with a duo of my own. :mad:

Asstro Van
Apr 15, 2007

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

If your cat is heavy at all, you're going to have to mount that thing to a wall. Gabe's got one about that high and he constantly dove to the top of it, wobbled around on it and rode it to the floor. It was mounted to the wall quite quickly.

James is about 10 pounds, so not huge but not a light weight. I was planning on checking out how it does on its own and going from there. One of the reviews said that it was stable enough for a 16 pound jumper and another mentioned its stability, so I'm optimistic.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
If my nearly 7-foot Armarkat tree is any indication, they're pretty sturdy. I think you should be fine with one cat, but better safe than sorry, etc. It took a lot of effort from two of my cats, about 10 lbs. each, going bonkers to knock theirs over.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

She has no idea what's in store for her when this puppy grows up.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAssdnXJHFM

Incoming derp!

Why can't we just have one normal dog? :catstare:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Because one of these days I'm going to live near you, and you and I are going to go out and take over a dog park. :black101:

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
huskyjackal won't get back to me on visiting you, TVs Ian! :argh: I'm going to just swing by and kidnap her and Diaz on the way TO SNUGGLE THAT PUPPY SO HARD.

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK
Nori's little legs kicking so hard is so painfully cute I'm gonna dieeeeeee

Yesterday I left a piece of cornbread wrapped in foil on the back of the counter thinking Quaffle wouldn't get to it. Later he came prancing happily into my bedroom with it in his mouth and gave it to me like he thought I would unwrap it for him. I don't think so, dog.

Aravenna fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jun 28, 2012

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I got a new memory foam topper for my bed and I'm not sure if me or the dog like it more. I was sitting on the couch and he just kept peering down the hall from my bedroom and stomping his feet until I got up and took my computer to bed so he could sleep and still keep an eye on me. He may be a little spoiled.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

I cleaned out my car today in preparation to leave it with my sister for ten days, and I took out the stuffed Kermit the Frog that I always keep in the backseat. My husband tossed it on the desk in our family room, which is next to the rat cage.

I came downstairs a few minutes ago and Garrus had reached out through the bars and seized hold of Kermit's foot, and was attempting to drag him into the cage.

Rats, I tells ya :argh:

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Nori is so cute. All your dogs are lovely, how do you ever get anything done? I'd just be cuddling them all day, until they were sick of me. :3:

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

Aravenna posted:

Nori's little legs kicking so hard is so painfully cute I'm gonna dieeeeeee

Yesterday I left a piece of cornbread wrapped in foil on the back of the counter thinking Quaffle wouldn't get to it. Later he came prancing happily into my bedroom with it in his mouth and gave it to me like he thought I would unwrap it for him. I don't think so, dog.

Oh that is cute. :3:

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

McDragon posted:

Nori is so cute. All your dogs are lovely, how do you ever get anything done? I'd just be cuddling them all day, until they were sick of me. :3:

Well, the fact that they're by and large easygoing dogs who are content to just do what we're doing, it works out ok. If we sit around, they sit around. If we go for a hike, they go for a hike. They just like being with us for the most part.

It's interesting that when we're on the couch they encroach like kudzu vine until we're covered with dogs but if for example, Erica sits down to do a painting, they either go play around amongst themselves or go to sleep because they know they're not at all involved in that activity.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Instant Jellyfish posted:

I got a new memory foam topper for my bed and I'm not sure if me or the dog like it more. I was sitting on the couch and he just kept peering down the hall from my bedroom and stomping his feet until I got up and took my computer to bed so he could sleep and still keep an eye on me. He may be a little spoiled.

We ordered our topper a size too big so we could be sure it would reach the edges of our mattress. Because of that, we had scrap foam from cutting it down. Yeeeaahh... It's definitely been lining Buddy's crate since then. He might be spoiled, but he loves it. It has to be good for his aging joints.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Stop the presses guys, if you have a dog that is reactive/fearful/etc then you are doing everything wrong in fixing it.

quote:

if your dog is as bad as you say you should have a muzzle on her it's natural for other dogs to come up to say hello as long as they do so in a friendly controlled manner, I have 100% recall but don't stop them going up to other dogs to say hello and play, a dog that's known to be aggressive with other dogs should be muzzled in public places the problem is yours not everyone else's!

Yes let's muzzle my dog and flood her by forcing her to cope with strange dogs ~saying hiiiii~. It's almost like she thinks I'm an idiot and I just let my dog loose to eat other dogs.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

Fraction posted:

Stop the presses guys, if you have a dog that is reactive/fearful/etc then you are doing everything wrong in fixing it.

Yes let's muzzle my dog and flood her by forcing her to cope with strange dogs ~saying hiiiii~. It's almost like she thinks I'm an idiot and I just let my dog loose to eat other dogs.

Lmao I would ~~~~~love~~~~~~ for this lady to let her dogs run up to Moses to say ~Hi.~ Oops, I forgot to muzzle him today!!! Sorry lady!!!!

irl I get told this verbatim when I ask people to please not let their dogs run up to Moses. "WHAT DO YOU MEAN HE DOESN'T LIKE OTHER DOGS!? WHY DO YOU HAVE HIM OUT IN PUBLIC THEN."

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

You can't expect my 20 foot leash to retract just like that! sheesh why even have a dog outside at all.

I have to explain this like at least once a week. My dog does not like being touched/having another dog up in his face/stared at. Thankfully I've not yet run into someone who gets upset over it, but I also think my neighbors understand the concept of "big bully looking dog" = not the best dog to test your theories on. Yaay for having decent neighbors.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

I was doing a dog performance event thinger a few days ago, and afterwards we have a "Pat 'n Chat" with the performing dogs. I had a woman chastise my dog (or, more accurately me, while "speaking" to my dog) for Cohen not paying strangers enough attention to her & her kids and being too focused on me. All dogs simply must turn themselves inside out with happiness while greeted by strangers, clearly.

Cohen is happy to lay there and let kids pat her, and is happier still to do her tricks for them to get some food from me, but she pretty much has zero interest in actually interacting with other people.

Basically, it's just another example of the skewed expectations people have of dogs.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

a life less posted:

I was doing a dog performance event thinger a few days ago, and afterwards we have a "Pat 'n Chat" with the performing dogs. I had a woman chastise my dog (or, more accurately me, while "speaking" to my dog) for Cohen not paying strangers enough attention to her & her kids and being too focused on me. All dogs simply must turn themselves inside out with happiness while greeted by strangers, clearly.

Cohen is happy to lay there and let kids pat her, and is happier still to do her tricks for them to get some food from me, but she pretty much has zero interest in actually interacting with other people.

Basically, it's just another example of the skewed expectations people have of dogs.

People are amazing, right? Fortunately(or perhaps not) Feldman LOVES people and goes hog wild when someone wants to pet him and baby talk him.

I've been working with him on that, getting him to give me a sit/stay/focus until the person or people move on, to keep him calm and stop him from yanking at the leash, ect.

Some lady scolded me for that, she was all like "Your dog just wants to say hello, it's mean to stop a dog from doing that and it's rude to avoid people like that if they want to meet your dog."

Why YES lady, I will let anyone on the street pet Feldman anytime they want without asking me first in fact lets just start queuing up right now people.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
My dog has doggy-aspergers (internet diagnosed of course) and isn't so interested in other dogs for the most part but holllllllllllllllly gently caress does she love some goddamn frisbee.

I was throwing her frisbee for her yesterday and some guy came by, walking his two dogs off leash (this was in a park so whatever) and his weird pug/bulldog looking thing just was so drat excited to see Greta and was trying so hard to get her to play and she just straight up cold shouldered him the whole time and stared at me, waiting for the frisbee, while this other dog contorted itself in a grotesque attempt to get her attention.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

HEY GUYS. I just found out something really incredible! American Pit Bull Terriers, as well as American Staffordshire Terriers are both "Snub nosed" dog breeds!

http://www.delta.com/planning_reservations/special_travel_needs/pet_travel_information/pet_requirements_restrictions/index.jsp#top

According to Delta airlines, at least.

Good job, that is the perfect reason for you to ban pibbles and bully breeds from the airplane. Deem them to have "snub noses". :golfclap:
I'm sure they are glad they found some way to ban those VICIOUS BABY EATERS.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Asstro Van posted:

James is about 10 pounds, so not huge but not a light weight. I was planning on checking out how it does on its own and going from there. One of the reviews said that it was stable enough for a 16 pound jumper and another mentioned its stability, so I'm optimistic.

I have a 16 pounds and a 12 pounder and a 7 foot amarakat, they run up and down like crazy and it's never gone over. Mine has like a rectangular base. It also has scratched the wood floor, I should have put some of those felt circles over the bottom screws. I've had it for a few years I think with no other problems.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

a life less posted:

Shadow doesn't mind in the slightest if people, even rambunctious kids, come up and pet him, but he isn't interested enough to go up to them himself, and I wouldn't have it any other way. :psyduck: There was NOTHING in the world my foster puppy loved more than people. If she got to go up and meet a stranger you'd think she just won the lottery. It was cute, and definitely better than the alternative, but I prefer dogs more like Shadow.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Lucy will just go up to strangers because she thinks they'll have treats :downs:

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK
The lawn care guy came into the house today and Quaffle immediately ran up to him and leaned against him to get petted. Never met him before. You're a great watchdog, Quaffle. :mad:

Asstro Van
Apr 15, 2007

Skizzles posted:

If my nearly 7-foot Armarkat tree is any indication, they're pretty sturdy. I think you should be fine with one cat, but better safe than sorry, etc. It took a lot of effort from two of my cats, about 10 lbs. each, going bonkers to knock theirs over.

ChairmanMeow posted:

I have a 16 pounds and a 12 pounder and a 7 foot amarakat, they run up and down like crazy and it's never gone over. Mine has like a rectangular base. It also has scratched the wood floor, I should have put some of those felt circles over the bottom screws. I've had it for a few years I think with no other problems.

Thank you both for sharing. We have carpet with lowish pile, so no worries about scratching. The base is doubled and an octagon, I'm not sure how the shape effects its stability but the extra weight should be good. I am daydreaming about cat trees instead of packing.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Gail loves people delivering post. She'll usually take them a toy to look at, and demand a stroke.

Doesn't really care much about other dogs. She used to ignore them entirely, probably because she used to be a Guide Dog, but she actually acknowledges their existence now.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
^I don't think the shape matters, I was just wondering if mine might be wider.
If I had to guess I would say it's like 2 feet.

V That's a good size for the height imo. Always better safe than sorry but it can take a lot.

ChairmanMeow fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jun 29, 2012

Asstro Van
Apr 15, 2007

The product details on the one I'm getting say the base is 24"x24" so its probably like yours but with the corners clipped.

Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

No one ever asks if Bender would like to live in a tiny little house. Not that I would. A tiny little house that says "Bender" on it.

Greycious posted:

HEY GUYS. I just found out something really incredible! American Pit Bull Terriers, as well as American Staffordshire Terriers are both "Snub nosed" dog breeds!

http://www.delta.com/planning_reservations/special_travel_needs/pet_travel_information/pet_requirements_restrictions/index.jsp#top

According to Delta airlines, at least.

Good job, that is the perfect reason for you to ban pibbles and bully breeds from the airplane. Deem them to have "snub noses". :golfclap:
I'm sure they are glad they found some way to ban those VICIOUS BABY EATERS.

What in the holy loving gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

After 2 weeks, we finally got to give Feldman a bath! :toot: He was starting to become One Smelly Dog.

Do you guys have any particular soap you use for your dog? We use this stuff the old vet gave us, but considering how bad they bungled treating him for Giardia, I'm thinking it's time to find something new.

• Locked thread