Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kunzelman
Dec 26, 2007

Lord Shaper
I saw Helvetica with a group of five people and they all became That Font Guy afterward. It was terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Wolfsheim posted:

Hey guys, all three seasons of Beast Wars are on streaming.

You're welcome :colbert:

Also, I thought this was interesting:

One of these things is not like the other.

I just finished the series last week. The writing has mostly held up pretty well, and the clunky CGI still has its own charm. Curious when they'll upload Beast Machines.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
People that watch Zeitgeist and become That Guy are way worse than people that watch Helvetica and become That Guy. :colbert:

Helvetica is also a good documentary, Zeitgeist is a terrible internet spawn of poo poo.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

big business sloth posted:

Is the Western category nonexistent on netflix now? Or can anyone recommend some good/classic westerns that are up?
Yuck, they've really gutted the Westerns. Or whoever licenses movies to them has gutted them. They used to have stuff like High Noon. Oh well. Here's what's left on streaming:

Classics/Spaghetti
Warlock
Shane
True Grit
Death Rides a Horse
Angel and the Badman
The Mercenary
My Name Is Nobody

Other Good Westerns
Rango
The Good, the Bad, the Weird
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
Two Mules for Sister Sara
Joe Kidd
Dead Man
Support Your Local Gunfighter
Meek's Cutoff

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.
As I understand it, Zeitgeist is a mix of stuff that most informed people already know (presented as though it were some long hushed up secret) and completely made up stuff.

Past Tense Ragu
Oct 17, 2005

penismightier posted:

Actually now that I think about it, I've never seen it not look like poo poo.

The Chinese Connection has, according to DVD Beaver, been released in some pretty pristine Blu Rays. With DTS lossless sound no less! Fake rear end 7.1 sound but whatever.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Speaking of documentaries, finally got around to watching Zeitgeist this afternoon.

:stare: I'm going to watch it again tonight.

what is it about?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

mds2 posted:

what is it about?
It's basically a documentary that presents [urlhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeitgeist:_The_Movie=]60% of all the bullshit that has ever been said[/url]. 9/11 was a conspiracy, all religion is a conspiracy, the new world order of international bankers controls the world via conspiracy, etc.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.
Hahaha, sounds almost as terrible as that What the bleep do we know? "documentary".

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."
Just wanted to pop into this thread to ask if the The Girlfriend Experience is any good. I've heard mixed opinions about it from my friends. Some of them loved it while others hated it and said that Sasha Grey's acting was sub par . On the whole I tend to enjoy Steven Soderbergh's work so I'm on the fence at the moment.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Dr. Xenu posted:

Just wanted to pop into this thread to ask if the The Girlfriend Experience is any good. I've heard mixed opinions about it from my friends. Some of them loved it while others hated it and said that Sasha Grey's acting was sub par . On the whole I tend to enjoy Steven Soderbergh's work so I'm on the fence at the moment.

I didn't care for it. It seemed pretty self absorbed and Sasha Grey is a pretty terrible actress.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I'm not crazy about it but I think it's worth your time.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Is the Western category nonexistent on netflix now? Or can anyone recommend some good/classic westerns that are up?

Netflix is pretty slim pickings, but if you have Amazon prime there's a lot on their instant video for free: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=PIVHPBB...rd_i=2676882011

Wild Bunch, Rio Bravo, Man Who Shot Liberty Valence, Once Upon A Time In The West, and more are free on prime.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

I just watched Bad Company with a very young Jeff Bridges. It was pretty good. It expires July 1st though, so watch it soon if you're gonna check it out.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I'm not crazy about it but I think it's worth your time.

On that rave review I'll give it a watch

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009
Season 2 of Pretend Time with Nick Swardson is out, if you like lovely things like I do.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Encryptic posted:

Black Death with Sean Bean (on streaming still) is another recent medieval flick that was surprisingly decent, though a lot less gory and over-acted.

And continues the Sean Bean dies again excellent movie pattern.

I liked the build-up/creepy atmosphere but the ending didn't have good payoff unfortunately.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Might want to add spoiler tags to that man. Anyway count me in on recommending the movie. It's fantastic if you like that kind of movie and era.

Dr. Xenu posted:

It's mumblecore as gently caress and pretentious in ways, but I always recommend it. It's not amazing but it's fairly unique and interesting.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Dr. Xenu posted:

On that rave review I'll give it a watch

Hey, it's only like 75 minutes long.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
I enjoyed The Girlfriend Experience but I've been a fan of Soderbergh's weird off-beat stuff for a while. I was a huge apologist for Full Frontal as well, so take my recommendation with a grain of salt.

The fact that I still can't even get a DVD copy of Kafka annoys the gently caress out of me.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

Re: Black Death

Yeah, I'll grant the build-up was good and I expected more of it from the end as well. I guess I was expecting there to be a true supernatural/black magic angle to it and they'd end up fighting a demon that was keeping the village alive in return for their souls or something.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Encryptic posted:

Re: Black Death

Yeah, I'll grant the build-up was good and I expected more of it from the end as well. I guess I was expecting there to be a true supernatural/black magic angle to it and they'd end up fighting a demon that was keeping the village alive in return for their souls or something.

The movie you want is Season of the Witch.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

hypersleep posted:

The movie you want is Season of the Witch.

It may not be the movie we want, but it's the movie we need.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Hewlett posted:

It may not be the movie we want, but it's the movie we need.

I'll watch anything with Nicolas Cage.

I thought it was pretty decent. It only got stupid in the last 15 or 20 minutes. The CG was pretty poor from what I remember, but the cinematography was strangely above average.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Why the gently caress is Watch Instantly's entire library look like anything I'll find on Basic Cable. It's been bothering me a lot lately. If I'm paying a monthly fee, and I can get these new/top rated movies on disc via mail, why can't they make those available? Or why are they available only for a limited time? I don't understand how there's such a big difference between sending me the disc so it arrives tomorrow, and me watching it today.

Sigh.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

magnificent7 posted:

Why the gently caress is Watch Instantly's entire library look like anything I'll find on Basic Cable. It's been bothering me a lot lately. If I'm paying a monthly fee, and I can get these new/top rated movies on disc via mail, why can't they make those available? Or why are they available only for a limited time? I don't understand how there's such a big difference between sending me the disc so it arrives tomorrow, and me watching it today.

Sigh.

Bureaucracy.

SoleilEquil
Mar 18, 2010

TrixRabbi posted:

Bureaucracy.

This...also a company wants a LOT more money for the ability to allow millions of Netflix subscribers watch the movie whenever they want, however many times they want, and all instantly due to digital distribution.

Netflix just pays them probably $15 a DVD and goes the snail mail route.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

magnificent7 posted:

Sigh.

Because the companies that own the media rights to new/popular movies see Netflix streaming as direct competition to their own subscriber programs/cable channels and are actively trying to push Netflix out of the market so they can control it.

They don't see disc rentals as competition so licensing those is a lot easier.

It has nothing to do with what Neflix wants, they want to go 100% streaming, its what the media companies will give Netflix.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

magnificent7 posted:

The latter scenario involves you watching as many movies as you want today, instantly, with no limit, with your subscription fee staying exactly the same, and nobody buying another copy of the DVD. The difference is astronomical in terms of how much the studios make from it.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

kuddles posted:

The latter scenario involves you watching as many movies as you want today, instantly, with no limit, with your subscription fee staying exactly the same, and nobody buying another copy of the DVD. The difference is astronomical in terms of how much the studios make from it.
Okay. Sure. Buuuuuuuuuut, how does this logic apply to the hell that is HBO. They've got Harry Potter and the Defly Hallows on almost as frequent a replay as Lord Of The Rings. (Yes! Lord Of The Rings! It's on eternal rerun every 24 hours). Sooo then. How does this logic of not buying the DVD apply.

No. I get it - I do. Except the part where the "well, you pay for HBO to show you these new movies a million times, but see, you only pay for Netflix to let you watch movies a million times." That's where I get frustrated. Not so much confused as just frustrated that the logic doesn't hold so solidly.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

magnificent7 posted:

Okay. Sure. Buuuuuuuuuut, how does this logic apply to the hell that is HBO. They've got Harry Potter and the Defly Hallows on almost as frequent a replay as Lord Of The Rings. (Yes! Lord Of The Rings! It's on eternal rerun every 24 hours). Sooo then. How does this logic of not buying the DVD apply.

No. I get it - I do. Except the part where the "well, you pay for HBO to show you these new movies a million times, but see, you only pay for Netflix to let you watch movies a million times." That's where I get frustrated. Not so much confused as just frustrated that the logic doesn't hold so solidly.

If you actually think that on-demand streaming is the same as a programmed cable channel, no matter how often something plays on it, I don't know what to tell you. HBO also doesn't rent DVDs out to people. Getting the rights to DVD rental is not the same as getting the streaming rights.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Whats the consensus on Rare Exports: A Christmas Story ?

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009

RizieN posted:

Loved it.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

RizieN posted:

Really good. I thought it went well with Trollhunter.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

magnificent7 posted:

What logic? We aren't making this poo poo up, literally read any article about Netflix and you'll see. They have never-ending battles with media companies to retain streaming rights for movies. It's a highly contentious issue in the industry because the media companies haven't accepted it yet. Renting movies has been around for decades, streaming is recent and the companies that own the movie rights want to cut Netflix out of streaming profits if at all possible.

Hell, half the good poo poo they had on streaming in the first place was because Showtime had got the licenses from other companies and through a loophole was allowed to lease them to Netflix, letting Netlix bypass the original owners of the media.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I guess this is the right thread to ask this: is Netflix down right now?

Jxforema
Sep 23, 2005
long live the Space Pope

Soul Glo posted:

looks like it is. I can't get it to load on my iPad or xbox

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Soul Glo posted:

Yep. The app won't connect and their site won't load.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I just got done watching Insidious and Netflix is loads up fine for me.

Speaking of Insidious, great movie for the first half. Relies a lot on jump scares sadly but they are well done. Second half is just a giant turd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Soul Glo posted:

It's an issue with amazon.

http://venturebeat.com/2012/06/29/amazon-outage-netflix-instagram-pinterest/

• Locked thread