Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Happy Hat posted:

This is like going to a starbucks in Rome..

There are no Starbucks in Italy as yet I think.

In fact around France, Spain, Italy etc you'll struggle to find many chain restaurants or cafes. You can find a stand-up espresso in most places for <€1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
Was it here in GWS somewhere that a goon was planning their trip to Chicago including all the famous Chicago landmarks such as The Cheesecake Factory?

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

wheatpuppy posted:

Was it here in GWS somewhere that a goon was planning their trip to Chicago including all the famous Chicago landmarks such as The Cheesecake Factory?

Part of the enjoyment of the American culture is actually to go to all the landmarks of your food-culture, and those landmarks are most definately the chains aswell as the little hole-in-the-wall kind of places.

Going to Voodoo donuts in Portland (now a chain I understand), going to the cheesecake factory, going to 5-guys, going to all of those places conveys the meaning of american food-culture the same way that going to a street sushi place does the japanese, and shouldn't be scoffed at.

I, for one, thoroughly enjoy going to Denny's, when in the states, because it is an experience that is completely alien to me, and as a concept it encapsulates a lot of the convenience, the service mindedness and the quality and health awareness that is true Americana. The same with going to the street vendors for cuban sandwiches when I am in Orlando, or going to the rugged little diner which has nothing but local sourcing on their menu, because gently caress if any truck would ever bother to drop any produce off at their location when I am in Wyoming.

Sadly - the rumors of there being Poutine in Canada is a lie though.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Happy Hat posted:

This is like going to a starbucks in Rome..

Some of my mom's students were going to Rome and had seriously planned to eat lunch and dinner and McD every day there. The mind boggles.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them

Chemmy posted:

I like reading TripAdvisor reviews of nice restaurants.

Come on, $25 is a bit spendy for a glass of wine. I know some bottles would totally command that sort of price or more, but I'd at least like a rough idea of what I'm spending when I'm out.

I ordered a Manhattan at a reasonably nice restaurant here in MN, and not one of those that's rated super trendy-spendy-neato in the Minneapolis-St. Paul area, but just a reasonably decent white tablecloth place.

Standard Manhattan, nothing special. Not even some special call brand of whiskey. It's not a house special or something they're "known" for, it's just a drink.

Twenty dollars.

I nearly shat myself. Glad I had one.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Happy Hat posted:

I, for one, thoroughly enjoy going to Denny's, when in the states, because it is an experience that is completely alien to me
I live in the states and Denny's is pretty alien to me too.

quote:

Sadly - the rumors of there being Poutine in Canada is a lie though.
What? Every time I've been to Canada I've practically tripped over poutine serving places.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

NosmoKing posted:

Come on, $25 is a bit spendy for a glass of wine. I know some bottles would totally command that sort of price or more, but I'd at least like a rough idea of what I'm spending when I'm out. .

The restaurant is Dune, which is located at Atlantis. $25 for a glass of wine isn't out of line with the price of everything there.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Chemmy posted:

The restaurant is Dune, which is located at Atlantis. $25 for a glass of wine isn't out of line with the price of everything there.

The one time I was there, I remember fruity well drinks by the pool being like $15. So yeah, the person should not have been surprised by the price of anything there.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
I mean, I understand as well as anyone else that feeling of wanting to have a taste of home once in a while. I was in India for like 3 months back when I was 16, and my aunt treated us to Pizza Hut in Bangalore. It was amazing. They served the food on fine china, with nice silverware and all the rest. But that was just the once, in a three month long trip, during which both I and my sister got pretty sick (we weren't prepared for the cold of Bangalore, so we both got the sniffles), and by that point, we were both homesick. Because the rest of the time was spent in every street cart that sold chaat, bajji, Indian Chinese food, pani puri, and every kind of delight known to man. We ate the HECK out of that pani puri. And the boiled peanuts, roasted peanuts, sliced green mango with chile powder and salt, the sliced long skinny cucumber with the same, sugar cane juice with ginger and lime, the tiny little dosa hole-in-the-wall places, the endless rounds of chhole bature at the Punjabi joints, the pretty excellent sweet mango juice that the vendors in Hyderabad would bring around, the roasted corn, the guava seller, the fig seller, the orange seller, the papaya seller who'd give me a giant papaya for Rs. 10. It was endless.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
There was a Taco Bell in Mexico City 15 years ago or so. One fat American family sitting in there, and they would have had to walk past at least 2 awesome-smelling taquerias where they could have gotten twice the food at half the price (I have to assume; couldn't see the menu.) I think it's gone now, because I asked a friend to look for it and take a picture for me a few years ago but I think I read somewhere that TB is making a foray into Mexico, marketing itself as American Food.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

dino. posted:

I mean, I understand as well as anyone else that feeling of wanting to have a taste of home once in a while. I was in India for like 3 months back when I was 16, and my aunt treated us to Pizza Hut in Bangalore. It was amazing. They served the food on fine china, with nice silverware and all the rest. But that was just the once, in a three month long trip, during which both I and my sister got pretty sick (we weren't prepared for the cold of Bangalore, so we both got the sniffles), and by that point, we were both homesick. Because the rest of the time was spent in every street cart that sold chaat, bajji, Indian Chinese food, pani puri, and every kind of delight known to man. We ate the HECK out of that pani puri. And the boiled peanuts, roasted peanuts, sliced green mango with chile powder and salt, the sliced long skinny cucumber with the same, sugar cane juice with ginger and lime, the tiny little dosa hole-in-the-wall places, the endless rounds of chhole bature at the Punjabi joints, the pretty excellent sweet mango juice that the vendors in Hyderabad would bring around, the roasted corn, the guava seller, the fig seller, the orange seller, the papaya seller who'd give me a giant papaya for Rs. 10. It was endless.
I want to go to India now.

Took the people we are staying with out for dinner last night. They chose a place called Print, which is all about farm to plate eating. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't as good as it set out to be, and was a loving ripoff. I'm too embarrassed to admit how much dinner with aperitifs and a bottle of wine cost. It pissed me off.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.

NosmoKing posted:

Come on, $25 is a bit spendy for a glass of wine. I know some bottles would totally command that sort of price or more, but I'd at least like a rough idea of what I'm spending when I'm out.

I ordered a Manhattan at a reasonably nice restaurant here in MN, and not one of those that's rated super trendy-spendy-neato in the Minneapolis-St. Paul area, but just a reasonably decent white tablecloth place.

Standard Manhattan, nothing special. Not even some special call brand of whiskey. It's not a house special or something they're "known" for, it's just a drink.

Twenty dollars.

I nearly shat myself. Glad I had one.

That's standard for New York, which means it is ridiculous.

Veggie Melange, what would you say standard is nowadays? I think about 20, though I had a 25 buck Knob neat at the Empire the other day and just got depressed.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Halalelujah posted:

That's standard for New York, which means it is ridiculous.

Veggie Melange, what would you say standard is nowadays? I think about 20, though I had a 25 buck Knob neat at the Empire the other day and just got depressed.

Depends on how much your rent is. Le Bernadain is going to charge more for whiskey than Rye House, but a $20 cocktail should come with a goddamn Xanax and a wet nap. Cocktail bars, generally, I'd expect 12-14, $16 with premium poo poo in a fancy spot. The city be crazy, man, I stick to BK.

battlemonk
Dec 10, 2008

Vegetable Melange posted:

Depends on how much your rent is. Le Bernadain is going to charge more for whiskey than Rye House, but a $20 cocktail should come with a goddamn Xanax and a wet nap. Cocktail bars, generally, I'd expect 12-14, $16 with premium poo poo in a fancy spot. The city be crazy, man, I stick to BK.

Come to Detroit, our craft cocktail places generally run $8-$15 for their specialties.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnBF6bv4Oe4

If you had told me before dinner tonight that you could cleanly cook corn perfectly in the microwave and get rid of most of the silk at the same time I would have called you a liar or a wizard. Well we tried doing this tonight, and holy poo poo, it worked. There were still some scraps of silk in the corn but they were easy to pick out, and it tasted pretty drat good. I think this is the first time I've eaten corn on the cob without feeling the need to floss for an hour :psyduck:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Going to test that poo poo tonight, son.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
A friend from church got us a cookbook, just in time for Fourth of July! It's the Culinary Arts Institute's "The Outdoor Cookbook". In the "Prepare at Campsite" section, I found this gem:

quote:

Skillet Luncheon Meat Surprise

1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
1 can (16 ounces) sliced peaches, drained; reserve 1/4 cup syrup
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 to 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 can (12 ounces) luncheon meat, cut in 1/4-inch slices
1/4 cup thin sweet pickle slices

1. In a large skillet, combine tomato sauce, peach syrup, lemon juice, horseradish, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, dry mustard, and salt. Cover and simmer 5 minutes.
2. Add meat, peaches, and pickles to mixture in skillet; spoon sauce over all.
3. Cover and simmer until thoroughly heated.
About 4 servings

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.
ohgod

You just know a recipe is good when it has "surprise" in the title, and especially so if it's made with mostly canned foods.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Mr. Wiggles posted:

A friend from church got us a cookbook, just in time for Fourth of July! It's the Culinary Arts Institute's "The Outdoor Cookbook". In the "Prepare at Campsite" section, I found this gem:

quote:

quote:

1 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt

1. In a large skillet, combine tomato sauce, peach syrup, lemon juice, horseradish, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, dry mustard, and salt. Cover and simmer 5 minutes.
2. Add meat, peaches, and pickles to mixture in skillet; spoon sauce over all.
3. Cover and simmer until thoroughly heated.
About 4 servings

That part in italics gets read in a really spooky voice with a flashlight held up to your face.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Looking at the ingredients, you know it probably tastes like a mcrib...

but better.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
When I try to read that recipe my eyes just slide off the page. It's like my brain knows how horrifying the dish would be and doesn't want to even entertain the idea of knowing how to cook something like that.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Let's group it:

This is just a bbq sauce with lemon instead of vinegar
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt

This isn't too weird, what with the Worcestershire

This is just a sweet ingredient, people put fruit purees into BBQ sauces all the time

This is just potted ham

Who doesn't love pickles?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I don't even know what a can of lunch meat is. Thankfully this lady was kind enough to explain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lx7oy4krOdc

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

GrAviTy84 posted:

Let's group it:

This is just a bbq sauce with lemon instead of vinegar
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt

This isn't too weird, what with the Worcestershire

This is just a sweet ingredient, people put fruit purees into BBQ sauces all the time

This is just potted ham

Who doesn't love pickles?

Basically what I thought of was a Cuban sandwich or something someone in Hawaii would make with Spam™. I've made worse slop than this, but that's not an endorsement.

Jenkin
Jan 21, 2003

Piracy is our only option.

dino. posted:

I mean, I understand as well as anyone else that feeling of wanting to have a taste of home once in a while. I was in India for like 3 months back when I was 16, and my aunt treated us to Pizza Hut in Bangalore.

When I was at the Great Wall our Chinese tour guide told us to eat at the Subway since the other restaurants there were colossal rip-offs. Pizza Hut was also really popular and the menu had stuff like escargot and braised pork knuckles, it was a bit surreal.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Darval posted:

ohgod

You just know a recipe is good when it has "surprise" in the title, and especially so if it's made with mostly canned foods.

"Surprise" is a good keyword, but not mandatory. Behold the simplicity:

Beef Fizz

Combine in a tall pitcher.
2 cans (10.5 oz each) condensed beef broth
1 cup chilled ginger ale

Pour over ice in glasses. 6-8 servings

Yum :)

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Pickle surprise!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgWn7zbgxZ4

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.

Sandra lee really hasn't changed all that much.

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
I have a rabbit! What should I do with it? It's just under 3 pounds total. I found it for a good price but I've never done anything with rabbit before...

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Powdered Toast Man posted:

I have a rabbit! What should I do with it? It's just under 3 pounds total. I found it for a good price but I've never done anything with rabbit before...

braise, or make sausage or rillettes.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Love him and pet him and call him George.

Last weekend at the farmers market they had pickling cukes, garlic, serrano chiles and dill. So of course I made spicy pickles. Just cracked open a jar and they're fantastic. It's nice to make stuff from what passes for local around here.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Stew with rosemary, garlic and white wine.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Ok I have to ask and I'm not sure where to do it, but what's with all the mods avatar pictures being changed to vaguely generic looking foodstuffs?

battlemonk
Dec 10, 2008

Bread and fry like chicken, or do a stew, or jugged hare.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Thumposaurus posted:

Ok I have to ask and I'm not sure where to do it, but what's with all the mods avatar pictures being changed to vaguely generic looking foodstuffs?
You know handkerchief codes? Same thing.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
anyone have proven good as heck barebeque sauce recipes? looking for like a mustard sauce and maybe a sweet and gloopy one. I have a carolina style nailed down, but I'm making a bunch of pork for a euro 2012 final party tomorrow and need some alternates for people who don't like vinegar. (heathens)

last few times I've made sauces off of google, the results have sucked, so I'm really hoping for someone's personal secret recipe or something.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

mindphlux posted:

anyone have proven good as heck barebeque sauce recipes? looking for like a mustard sauce and maybe a sweet and gloopy one. I have a carolina style nailed down, but I'm making a bunch of pork for a euro 2012 final party tomorrow and need some alternates for people who don't like vinegar. (heathens)

last few times I've made sauces off of google, the results have sucked, so I'm really hoping for someone's personal secret recipe or something.

I have been slowly eating my way through the mustard sauces of Charlotte and I have found most of them, at least the better ones, are pretty vinegary.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Currently reading Kitchen Confidential. So /that's/ where all these rear end in a top hat applicants have been coming from. :doh:

Also, just because you're too uncreative to cook for someone with dietary restrictions doesn't somehow make that person's life one of horrible barren eating. I get the whole "I'm such a badass, and a jerk to boot" image he's got to build up. That's fine. Save the vitriol for people who actually have done something specific to you. Sheesh.

dino. fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jul 1, 2012

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
its still annoying when someone plops down at their seat and announces "Im vegan"* at the start of a five course dinner

*also "I don't eat grains" [furious debate ensues about whether or not to sub quinoa for Bulgar wheat]

I haven't read the book (yet) those are both real things that have happened this week.

I realize that this type of behavior is exclusive to assholes and not to vegans but you only see this instance in assholes who also happen to be vegan so you start tending to lump them all together

disclaimer that as far as I know the only time I've ever served a vegan something non-vegan was because I forgot I had honey in a salad dressing until later. I do actually enjoy trying to make tasty things around restrictions, just not in the middle of dinner service when I'm trying to work the line and put out a banquet in a restaurant whose entire menu is really not particularly vegan-friendly at all.

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jul 1, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Seriously? They should call ahead. If the restaurant has Bourdain in it, don't go there. Simple. I've had the same issue at our restaurant, Pile of Brown. We're a Jewish place. This means lots of garlic and onion. And we'll get folk in asking what doesn't have garlic or onion. Or black pepper. What the poo poo? If you'd called ahead, I'd have happily made you something. Where do you go where they serve food without garlic, onion, or black pepper? And expect it to magically appear at the last minute? And have it /not/ be something like steamed vegetables with a bit of olive oil and salt? Yipes.

There's this lady who comes by frequently who can't have any oil, or high-fat stuff. Something about gall bladder issues or something. Whatever, it's fine. We make her this seitan in mushroom sauce thing, with steamed veggies and brown rice. She loves it, it's got great flavour, and we don't use any fat. She had once called ahead and asked if we could knock up a dessert for her. My boss made her a brown rice pudding made with brown rice syrup and raspberries instead of sugar, and she loved it. No harm, no foul. However, if it's a last-minute thing during busy service, that's understandable to be frustrated.

But then, say that you're irritated at assholes, and not that the person with said restriction is somehow morally inferior to you. That makes you a bigger rear end in a top hat.