Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
You guys didn't like the appearance of the Outback but a 4runner is ok? Those things look like they were designed by a 5 year old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

(((k)))
Jun 30, 2003

Finally finished my build, thanks Jamal for parts and support. I have some leftover parts and a nearly new turbo for sale. All '05 STi stuff. I'm at a shop in Dallas called Auto Science if you want to take a gander.

-Blouch Dominator 1.5 XT R 8cm 2.4 turbo in practically new condition. I'm asking $1200 It literally has 50 miles on it and was never boosted as the car wasn't tuned yet.
-5 stock STI side feed injectors: $50 each or I can discount for 4
-Driveshaft:Make me an offer
-TGVs and motors: $50 each $80 for both
-Stock cat back: Make me an offer
-Factory boost solenoid: Make me an offer
-Factory head unit: Make me an offer
-Stock shift linkage assembly: $175 without knob
-Other stuff I will update when I remember.

I am honoring the Goon code and you will receive a discount from the above prices. Just copied from another sites for sale thread.

I could be flexible on price. Send me a PM or text if you want to take a look in person. I would prefer not to ship but will if cost are covered by the buyer. I will answer any questions you have here or you can call me (working hours). 972-953-8665 -Kirk

War Bunny
Jul 7, 2009

I don't silflay at this time, sir.

sanchez posted:

You guys didn't like the appearance of the Outback but a 4runner is ok? Those things look like they were designed by a 5 year old.

I don't like how the head and tail lights stick out from it, but that's really my only quibble. We're just not into the "station wagon" look of the Outback

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

War Bunny posted:

We're just not into the "station wagon" look of the Outback

Then you are objectively wrong, and there's no helping that.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

War Bunny posted:

Overall, I don't think any of Subaru's offerings will be her new car. She's pretty hooked on getting a new 4Runner, which I definitely have no problem with. I really wanted to choke the salesman when he kept shilling the CVT and fuel mileage, even after we told him that MPG isn't really a big selling point for us. I would be rich now if I had a nickel for every time he mentioned "CVT," "gas mileage," "safety," and the biggie "Symmetrical All Wheel Drive."

I mean, what did you expect him to say? The first two are areas where Subaru is historically weak (because of AWD), and the last two are basically the reasons people buy non-performance Subarus: AWD, safety, reliability, price, not an SUV.

War Bunny posted:

I don't like how the head and tail lights stick out from it, but that's really my only quibble. We're just not into the "station wagon" look of the Outback

Ew. In my opinion, the 4runner is one of those cars that looks far worse in person than it does in a photo. All the weird contoured edges look kind of awkward in person, due to their attempt to butch up the typically melty blob Toyota styling by adding lots of weird creases on a computer.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I was thinking before seeing this picture that 4-Runners look alright and I didn't understand the hate. After: Holy poo poo this new redesign just deuced on my chest.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

That SUV is pouting. Why is it so sad?

War Bunny
Jul 7, 2009

Cream_Filling posted:

I mean, what did you expect him to say? The first two are areas where Subaru is historically weak (because of AWD), and the last two are basically the reasons people buy non-performance Subarus: AWD, safety, reliability, price, not an SUV.

Ew. In my opinion, the 4runner is one of those cars that looks far worse in person than it does in a photo. All the weird contoured edges look kind of awkward in person, due to their attempt to butch up the typically melty blob Toyota styling by adding lots of weird creases on a computer.

It's always just funny listening to a salesman pounding away at their main selling points. As far as the Toyota goes, I definitely don't like the redesign as much as the previous gen. I like the opinions though, because I know car goons have good eyes for details that I might miss now, and notice down the line somewhere and start to irritate me. We considered the Lexus GX, but the price difference of $15k is a little much. Then there's the Infinities, and the Honda Pilot. Picking a SUV is kind of a pain.

Safety Dance posted:

Then you are objectively wrong, and there's no helping that.

Different strokes, goonbro. :colbert:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

War Bunny posted:

Different strokes, goonbro. :colbert:

Yeah, I know. I think I love my Outback a little too much.

Have you checked out the FJ-Cruiser? I personally think it's better looking than the Rav-4.

War Bunny
Jul 7, 2009

Safety Dance posted:

Yeah, I know. I think I love my Outback a little too much.

Have you checked out the FJ-Cruiser? I personally think it's better looking than the Rav-4.

Hey, I had great things to say about the interior of the Outback, it was friggin' amazing. :)

I would love, LOVE to have a FJ-Cruiser. The thing is, we're looking for a SUV for my wife, not me. She wants something nice and plush. I'm there to give helpful advice and to help out because she's one of those "cars = appliances" people, but in the end, it'll be her car.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Yeah, looks like you're heading outside the typical Subaru size/price range. Dunno how you're cross-shopping Lexus/Infiniti and Subaru/Toyotas, though. They're kind of hugely different in price and size.

That said, I rented a Forester, and I thought it was pretty darn roomy, had some pretty impressive ground clearance (in poorly plowed midwest snow), and an excellent value at the price.

I also think they look pretty good with the optional sport grille on them. See also, this concept car with sport grille and other assorted custom plastic stick-on bits (as well as some serious lowering):

or, alternatively, big tires and fender flares:

But, yeah, I also still preferred the previous-gen Forester's styling. It looked like a smaller, non-goofy, less fat version of that 4runner.

As a serious suggestion, maybe look also at Mazdas or maybe even Ford or GMC? The small-to-midsized SUV market is like one of the most diverse markets in the US right now. Most of the Mazda SUVs seem not awful to drive and look good to my eyes, even the big ones like the CX-9, which is a direct competitor to the Tribeca. Ford gives good value and has some pretty cool interior gadgets these days, if that's what your wife is more interested in. Or, versus that giant Lexus, an Audi Q5, which is in the high $30k-40k range and will have a better interior and drive better while still having that bougie brand appeal. I test-drove a Q5 while helping my parents buy a new car, and it was pretty boss.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jun 28, 2012

War Bunny
Jul 7, 2009

Cream_Filling posted:

Yeah, looks like you're heading outside the typical Subaru size/price range. Dunno how you're cross-shopping Lexus/Infiniti and Subaru/Toyotas, though. They're kind of hugely different in price and size.

That said, I rented a Forester, and I thought it was pretty darn roomy, had some pretty impressive ground clearance (in poorly plowed midwest snow), and an excellent value at the price.

I also think they look pretty good with the optional sport grille on them. See also, this concept car with sport grille and other assorted custom plastic stick-on bits (as well as some serious lowering):

or, alternatively, big tires and fender flares:

But, yeah, I also still preferred the previous-gen Forester's styling. It looked like a smaller, non-goofy, less fat version of that 4runner.

As a serious suggestion, maybe look also at Mazdas or maybe even Ford or GMC? The small-to-midsized SUV market is like one of the most diverse markets in the US right now. Most of the Mazda SUVs seem not awful to drive and look good to my eyes, even the big ones like the CX-9, which is a direct competitor to the Tribeca. Ford gives good value and has some pretty cool interior gadgets these days, if that's what your wife is more interested in. Or, versus that giant Lexus, an Audi Q5, which is in the high $30k-40k range and will have a better interior and drive better while still having that bougie brand appeal. I test-drove a Q5 while helping my parents buy a new car, and it was pretty boss.

Thanks! Yeah, we just started looking at cars, so this process will last awhile until we vett all of our options. While I don't like talking to salesmen, going and looking at/test driving/researching cars is not exactly a burdon on me (or probably anyone else who posts in AI). I'll definitely check out the Fords and the Audi. The reason we started with Subaru is that I have one, and was already going to look at the Legacy anyway. Safety is of course a big concern, and we'd like to have AWD or 4WD because we're moving into the mountains in a few months. After that, we're basically going through our options. Anyway, I don't want to derail the Subie thread too much, but the dealer called and is going to let us use the Outback with the 3.6 litre for the afternoon, we just need to find a day to do it.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
We just bought a Forester last month but went out of our way to find a first gen (for aesthetic reasons) S Premium and came home with this '02.

139k miles, 5 speed with a new transmission/clutch and a few cosmetic issues (paint scrapes here and there on the bumpers, broken clip on one of the door trim pieces on the outside, small stuff)

I can't recommend it enough. Comfortable, smooth ride, the right amount of power for its size, decent fuel economy... A shame our Saab convertible had to get totaled for us to have the money to buy it, but it is what it is.

I'd post a thousand photos but everyone's seen a Forester.

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

...and the angel did say, "go forth, and lay waste to all who oppose you"
I have a terrible lust for those things.

Kolta
Apr 13, 2009
I'm currently seeking a Forester preferably a 99!

Roman Rambo
Dec 21, 2009
Part of me wants an FXT. It makes me feel extremely disloyal to my current vehicle.

edit: I'm putting a Blouch 2.5XTR Polka Pickle in the street rat STi, maybe this turbo can blow the FXT idea away.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Kolta posted:

I'm currently seeking a Forester preferably a 99!
Why a 99 in particular? The '00 S has the same SOHC engine and exterior design as the '99 but also a viscous LSD, and the L gets cruise control.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Subaru peeps - considering picking up a used Perrin anti-lift kit ("PSRS"?) for my GF8 EJ201 non-turbo. Is this a bad idea v. the Whiteline caster kit or doing something else with it? The perrin part has grease nipples, which is either a very good sign or a very bad one depending on how you look at it.

The chassis is stock except it's running 16" (Dick?) Turbo 2000 wheels courtesy of the PO. Don't really want to make any wholesale changes until I need to (a shock goes or something) as it's basically a tow vehicle and commuter for when I can't ride my bike, but for a little bit of money wouldn't mind having a little less understeer mid-corner.

It already lifts off pretty well into roundabouts, but then doesn't really have enough power to avoid slipping into moderate understeer. I mean unless you enter completely sideways, and I like keeping my licence/not killing pedestrians. I gather the caster kit will help with the understeer?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Sure does. I have the Whiteline ALK on my WRX. If I could find a used one cheap enough I'd have one on my '97 too.

Grease nipples seem weird, though I expect I'll be regreasing the ALK eventually myself (it has a crosshatch surface for grease retention but we all know how well that works on a bushing).

Offset caster bushings will be cheaper (and make you more autocross legal, if that's something you're concerned about at all) but the ALK alters the geometry further than just adding caster and makes the car a little more flat on aggressive acceleration and braking. Through corners, the car is more neutral as you feed in throttle (I found I could accelerate earlier) but it really seems like it expects you to have a beefier front sway than I do to get the full effect.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

War Bunny posted:

It's always just funny listening to a salesman pounding away at their main selling points. As far as the Toyota goes, I definitely don't like the redesign as much as the previous gen. I like the opinions though, because I know car goons have good eyes for details that I might miss now, and notice down the line somewhere and start to irritate me. We considered the Lexus GX, but the price difference of $15k is a little much. Then there's the Infinities, and the Honda Pilot. Picking a SUV is kind of a pain.

Grand Cherokee? The new ones are not pretty, but considering the competition (Pilot, 4Runner), you could do worse.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Some say yes to ALK's and I know cat terrorist doesn't like them.

I'm doing STi arms with the castor trick on my RS, and I'll probably do an ALK on my legacy.

chucky.z
Mar 28, 2011
What's AI's thoughts on Legacy GT's?

I've got a stage 2 one right now, and I'm about to put in an up-pipe. :)

I love it, but I'm a little scared of grenading my trans.

Also trying to determine, do I do some springs, or go straight to coilovers? I have a decent source for some very affordable BC coils.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Sure does. I have the Whiteline ALK on my WRX. If I could find a used one cheap enough I'd have one on my '97 too.

Grease nipples seem weird, though I expect I'll be regreasing the ALK eventually myself (it has a crosshatch surface for grease retention but we all know how well that works on a bushing).

Offset caster bushings will be cheaper (and make you more autocross legal, if that's something you're concerned about at all) but the ALK alters the geometry further than just adding caster and makes the car a little more flat on aggressive acceleration and braking. Through corners, the car is more neutral as you feed in throttle (I found I could accelerate earlier) but it really seems like it expects you to have a beefier front sway than I do to get the full effect.

OK, that definitely sounds useful, though without the TURBO POWAH I can start accelerating about two blocks before the corner let alone within the corner. :saddowns:

Autocross not relevant to me, but cornering flatter would help as despite having a lot of compression damping compared to my e30 the UK "Sport" chassis is tall and tippy (it starts 30mm higher than the Turbo 2000/WRX, IIRC). Wasn't sure whether the grease nipples are clever (e.g. on a bike's rear shock linkage) or just imply that their bushing needs lots of grease very frequently!

Slow is Fast, I guess it's worth a go as long as I'm not paying full price for the Perrins.

Kolta
Apr 13, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Why a 99 in particular? The '00 S has the same SOHC engine and exterior design as the '99 but also a viscous LSD, and the L gets cruise control.

I dunno just something about having a 90's Forrester, however if I did find a '00 L for the right price I wouldn't be opposed to buying it either.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I don't line the Perrin PSRS because all they did was directly copy whiteline and they have no idea how it works or what it does. At least they changed their description from saying it reduces front end lift but they are still wrong about what it does for weight transfer (uh-oh, I brought that up again).

To clarify, the ALK/PSRS does not make the car flatter on acceleration or braking. It removes the anti-geometry and increase squat and dive. Essentially you are making the front end softer to improve grip on turn in and exit. Plus you get a stiffer bushing and more caster. So basically it's a 3-in-1 part of awesomeness that has been repeatedly proven to increase cornering speed and reduce understeer.

jamal fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jun 29, 2012

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Yeah, I saw the part on e-bay and figured they had ripped off whiteline, but I figured if it's the same thing with added bling I don't care as long as it's half the price of the whiteline.

Surprisingly used whiteline stuff doesn't seem particularly common here, given the number of boy-racer Pretzels we have.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

chucky.z posted:

Also trying to determine, do I do some springs, or go straight to coilovers? I have a decent source for some very affordable BC coils.

What year? I love my 08 - but I don't think there's much need for an up-pipe since they are decatted stock. The 5spd is decent enough if you don't drive like an idiot and do clutch-drops.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

chucky.z posted:

Get an uppipe unless your year has an uncatted one. It wonmt grenade your transmission alone, but yes, they are fragile.
I recommend a take off STI one as they are cheap.

I much prefer coilovers if you know why you want them. However, BC-BRs are cheap crap. The lowest I'd go is like a KW/RCE.
If you don't know why you want coilovers, some springs with a quality damper (bilstien and koni) is a better way. Certainly better than BCs.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Going to go look at a new Subaru. Yaaay. :neckbeard:

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Checking out this subaru tomorrow:

http://www.wantaddigest.com/forsale/wantad.asp?onlineid=AWYHF10&adid=A00278&classifieds=Subaru&eclass2=Cars

2003 Legacy L wagon 5 speed, 102,000 miles, $5,000

It's either that or this clean corolla 5 speed:

http://albany.craigslist.org/cto/3087115751.html

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Do the hydraulic clutches on subarus have a failsafe for if they don't get enough pressure to work normally?

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!

chucky.z posted:

I had a 5MT LGT limited wagon, Stage 2 with catless up-pipe and Greddy SP2 catback, made 280whp/301wtq on a protune.

Also had coilovers on it, the ride was too rough for a minimal improvement in handling over the other set I had on (not stock) but the adjustable-ness was nice.

Clutch nuked itself after 60k (previous owner beat on it I think) and the dealer replaced it; never had any problems with the trans at all it was rock solid.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Do the hydraulic clutches on subarus have a failsafe for if they don't get enough pressure to work normally?

Not sure what you mean. It'd be no different if it was a cable clutch and the cable broke... You'd just have to shift without the clutch.

Kolta
Apr 13, 2009

Sockington posted:

Going to go look at a new Subaru. Yaaay. :neckbeard:

Got the same. 06? I love mine, but mine's an auto. The car is perfect for what I'm using it for which is camping, commuting and a bit of off road shenanigans.

lifenomad
May 8, 2009

Just joined The Subaru Club™

2012 Impreza sport 5door

:toot:

(old whip was the blue Honda Civic Si to the right)

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Kolta posted:

Got the same. 06? I love mine, but mine's an auto. The car is perfect for what I'm using it for which is camping, commuting and a bit of off road shenanigans.

Pretty much exactly what I had in mind. I don't live in a huge city, so commuting isn't really a problem with a stick for me.

urakawa
Feb 6, 2012
My first Subaru and it's a classic - 1997 WRX Sti Type R Version 3
Thank you Japan :)
Pic from the auction, it's getting delivered next week I'm stoked!

Kolta
Apr 13, 2009

lifenomad posted:

2012 Impreza sport 5door

Welcome to the club! Complementary flannel shirt and a box of granola bars will be shipped to you next business day. Better get cross bars for that roof rack.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Nice import.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

lifenomad posted:

2012 Impreza sport 5door

Why didn't you sell your Si privately? I know several people including myself who'd have snapped it up, if you lived in PA.