Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lolitas Alright!
Sep 15, 2007

This is your friend.
She fights for your freedom.

Vogler posted:

What about retards?

Honestly, in my experience, Dean Koontz takes Magical Retard to levels Stephen King hasn't dreamed of yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Lolitas Alright! posted:

Honestly, in my experience, Dean Koontz takes Magical Retard to levels Stephen King hasn't dreamed of yet.
Hell, in most Dean Koontz books (and I'll admit to being addicted to them) being retarded is magical.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

Vogler posted:

I've only read one half of a Stephen King book. It was called 'Dreamcatchers', and I hated it. I'd like to give him one more chance, for some reason, but I don't want to leaf through something which spine holds more than 700 pages. Preferably not more than 400. And the book has to be scary. Thank you.
Everybody hates Dreamcatcher. Read The Shining, it's fantastic. The hedge scene is still the scariest/most suspenseful thing I've ever read.

iostream.h posted:

Hell, in most Dean Koontz books (and I'll admit to being addicted to them) being retarded is magical.
I'm reading Odd Thomas because my wife bought it for a book club. It took five pages for me to remember why I stopped reading Dean Koontz ten years ago: he's just such an annoying rear end in a top hat. You can tell a great story without being a great writer, but after a point poo poo like this really gets in the way:

quote:

Dappled with morning light and tree shadows, the water glimmered in shades of blue from sapphire to turquoise, as might a trove of jewels left by long-dead pirates who had sailed a sea since vanished.
He's writing about a goddamn swimming pool, and the whole book is like this. rear end in a top hat.

jackpot fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jun 27, 2012

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

when worlds collide posted:

Yup! But most of all, that man wants to smoke so badly.

Boy, does he ever.

I would love to see the movie version of "Lunch at the Gotham Cafe".

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Yup! But most of all, that man wants to smoke so badly.

He craves unfiltered Lucky Strikes so badly that he has to clench his fists until crescent-shaped marks are dug into his palms. Ayuh.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Mister Kingdom posted:

Boy, does he ever.

I would love to see the movie version of "Lunch at the Gotham Cafe".
Christ almighty I once went to sleep listening to that, woke up in the middle of 1408 and thought I was going insane. Scared the holy poo poo out of me.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009

iostream.h posted:

Christ almighty I once went to sleep listening to that, woke up in the middle of 1408 and thought I was going insane. Scared the holy poo poo out of me.

Ha ha, jesus. 1408 scared the hell out of me, I can't even imagine.

Yeah I quit reading Koontz when it got to the point that I couldn't remember what books of his I'd read and which I hadn't. You could put one in my hands at random and I'd probably be a chapter or two in before I knew. All his books just seem so loving similar. Also magical genius dogs are Koontz's version of magical retards.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Darko posted:

It wasn't conceived as a Dark Tower tie in, but has a lot of similar ideas in it.

I would say it's where the dark tower stuff started creeping into the other books, but it'a also when it was at its' best...
I also really had an amazing time with the characters of Black House, so shut the gently caress up. That book was oddly amazing. I blame Henry...

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I'm working on The Talisman right now but having a tough time with it. I just can't seem to get into it for some reason.

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?
I ended up reading the first couple of chapters like three times due to loosing interest then coming back to start over later. It really picks up once Jack finally hits the road but getting there can be a bit of a slog.

Edwardian
May 4, 2010

"Can we have a bit of decorum on this forum?"

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I would say it's where the dark tower stuff started creeping into the other books, but it'a also when it was at its' best...
I also really had an amazing time with the characters of Black House, so shut the gently caress up. That book was oddly amazing. I blame Henry...

Henry and the bikers were some of the best parts of Black House.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

There are people that don't like Black House? :psyduck:

I mean, outside of the first chapter. gently caress that thing.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Ornamented Death posted:

Haha that first chapter is so incredibly...Wheel of Time-ish. It reads like a horrible 100-page Robert Jordan prologue.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Jealous Cow posted:

I'm working on The Talisman right now but having a tough time with it. I just can't seem to get into it for some reason.

The Talisman takes forever to get moving. I couldn't enjoy it till about a 4th of the way in, when you meet a new character. After that I felt the book became one of my favorites.

Wolf!

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?
Right here and now! is where the story really starts to pop!

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

spixxor posted:

Also magical genius dogs are Koontz's version of magical retards.
You're coming dangerously close to dissing the only Really Good Book that man ever wrote. Watch yourself.

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know
I stopped reading Koontz in my teens. I never liked him as much as King.

A few months ago I grabbed a free copy of one of his books, thinking I'd try it out and see if it got better with age, like fine wine and all that.

Nope, vinegar.

I don't remember the name of it, barely remember the plot, in fact I remember I didn't even finish it. It had a magical dog in it though. And something was wrong with the world and people got possessed or some poo poo like that. That's really all I remember. Besides a marina and a boat.

I expect I've just described 3/4 of his catalogue.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I like Koontz's Odd Thomas books because they are the very definition of beach reading. I was also a fan of his Moonlight Bay books (I think that's what they were called), but it's been like fifteen years and the third entry hasn't shown up.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ornamented Death posted:

I loving hate how it's written. Absolutely hate it. The scenes where he describes the 'travels' of the camera or whatever the gently caress made me put down the book every time. It is one of the few books I just found so completely intolerable to read.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009

jackpot posted:

You're coming dangerously close to dissing the only Really Good Book that man ever wrote. Watch yourself.

Hey now, Watchers was good. And incidentally the first Koontz book I read. That and Phantoms are the only two books I can tell you for a fact I have read. And I only remember reading Phantoms because of that drat Jay and Silent Bob quote.

Too bad it was all (repetitively) downhill after that.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

spixxor posted:

Hey now, Watchers was good. And incidentally the first Koontz book I read. That and Phantoms are the only two books I can tell you for a fact I have read. And I only remember reading Phantoms because of that drat Jay and Silent Bob quote.

Too bad it was all (repetitively) downhill after that.

One thing that bothered me about what few Koontz books I've read is that he just can not write crazy people convincingly. Stuff like eating bugs or giving a mannequin vagina dentata is supposed to be shocking and insane but it's just eye-rolling.

King can write the hell out of crazy people even if his actual understanding of psychology isn't great (not knowing the difference between schizophrenia and dissociative identity disorder, for instance).

VVVVVV Stephen King has said the same thing about The Stand, but he seems to have a sense of humor about most of his fans agreeing he peaked that early in his career.

Farbtoner fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jun 29, 2012

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

spixxor posted:

Hey now, Watchers was good. And incidentally the first Koontz book I read.
Mine too, it's probably why I stuck with him for so long.

I once picked up an anniversary copy (15th or something) of Watchers and read the forward, written by Koontz. And there's a bit in there where he says he goes to however many book signings a year, dozens of them, and absolutely without fail there'll be some friendly, little old lady who comes up with her book to be signed. And they always introduce themselves by saying "You know, you've still never written anything better than Watchers."

If I were an author that would simultaneously be the funniest and saddest drat thing in the world. At least he's got enough of a sense of humor to admit he peaked early.

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know
I found a copy of 11/22/63 today, I'm really happy because now I'm not as far behind as I usually am with books. I don't even think it's come out in paperback yet. I'm a straight to dvd kinda gal.

So, even though I read the spoilers I don't remember anything any of you said, so when I read it it'll be fresh. I also found a perfect hardcover of Blaze, for 2 bucks. I don't recall anyone saying much about it in this thread, although I have a memory like a sieve. Does it suck or is it worth reading quickly before 11/22? It doesn't have many pages so I could probably read it in a day or two. If it sucks I'll just wait because I got some other good books too.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

So, even though I read the spoilers I don't remember anything any of you said, so when I read it it'll be fresh. I also found a perfect hardcover of Blaze, for 2 bucks. I don't recall anyone saying much about it in this thread, although I have a memory like a sieve. Does it suck or is it worth reading quickly before 11/22? It doesn't have many pages so I could probably read it in a day or two. If it sucks I'll just wait because I got some other good books too.

Read 11/22 first. I haven't read 11/22 yet, but trust me, that's the one you need to read first.

Even King warns you about Blaze.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

ImpAtom posted:

I loving hate how it's written. Absolutely hate it. The scenes where he describes the 'travels' of the camera or whatever the gently caress made me put down the book every time. It is one of the few books I just found so completely intolerable to read.

Most of that kind of thing is in the first chapter. There's very little of it elsewhere.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Blaze was utterly unreadable, and as I've mentioned prior, I read and enjoy Dean Koontz.

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Read 11/22 first. I haven't read 11/22 yet, but trust me, that's the one you need to read first.

Even King warns you about Blaze.

iostream.h posted:

Blaze was utterly unreadable, and as I've mentioned prior, I read and enjoy Dean Koontz.

Bugger. I really like the cover art! I know, I know...

I'll shelve that one for the unforseeable future, then.

I seriously really love that cover art. :colbert:

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

I liked Blaze well enough. For a not so good King book it wasn't that bad.

edit: I actually like Koontz a lot, but I can go ahead and point out the major flaws that make his books not really good:

• The protagonists are never absolutely alone. In the bad books the protagonists have a support system: A supportive family, some friends they met earlier in the book who happen to be survivalists and have a compound where the protagonist can hide for a few days, or just a surfer bum best friend who happens to be a computer security expert. Much of the time the friend or family happens to be some sort of deus ex machina type of solution.
  • The protagonists are never truly in need of being afraid. They have each other to bounce plucky lines off of, or they have specialized military or spy training that they have since retired from, or they have a magical dog that protects them, or superpowers that let them teleport.
  • The bad guys aren't exactly crazy. For the most part the bad guys in Koontz novels are believers - they all believe unfailingly in their ultimate goal which gives them carte-blanche to murder whoever they want.

There are a few exceptions to this, though not many recently.

Victorkm fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jun 29, 2012

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.
  • Almost every protagonist is basically a Mary Sue/Marty Stu. This is contrasted with King, who, despite writing thousands of creative protagonists from Maine, actually gives them flaws, makes them interesting, and doesn't coddle them.

• The world of the novels is a sort of Mary Sue even, allowing the protagonist or the protagonist's favorite things to be a shining beacon of good amidst the evil of book critics and rap musicians and what have you.

• SPOILERS - The bad guy is usually evil/crazy due to sex and/or drugs and not being raised in a socially conservative family.

Locus fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jun 29, 2012

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know
You both summed it up exactly. What little memory is left of my reading anything of his confirms that totally (and is why I have no desire to read anything of his, ever).

What is a Mary Sue/Marty Stu? I have a feeling I already know what that is but am having a brain bubble moment.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

You both summed it up exactly. What little memory is left of my reading anything of his confirms that totally (and is why I have no desire to read anything of his, ever).

What is a Mary Sue/Marty Stu? I have a feeling I already know what that is but am having a brain bubble moment.

Mary Sue is the concept of the author imposing his ideal self on the character. I'm not sure if that's really the case with Koontz as much as him imposing his idea of the ideal person on all of his protagonists, not so much what he wants to be but the way he wants the world and people to be like.

Victorkm fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jun 29, 2012

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.

"Wikipedia posted:

A Mary Sue (sometimes just Sue), in literary criticism and particularly in fanfiction, is a fictional character with overly idealized and hackneyed mannerisms, lacking noteworthy flaws, and primarily functioning as a wish-fulfilment fantasy for the author or reader. It is generally accepted as a character whose positive aspects overwhelm their other traits until they become one-dimensional.

I think the term has expanded a bit beyond what it originally meant, which was basically a fan-fiction character suspiciously similar to the author and treated disproportionately well within the fiction.

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know
Thank you both. Goddamnit, I really need to utilize Wikipedia BEFORE I go asking silly questions... but I liked your answers better, so.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Misery is next, about twenty pages in and, after reading Night Shift, I feel like it should be coming to an end in the next thirty pages or so, but it's not.

So far, so good, though.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Can we please stop arguing about Dean Koontz and start talking about something we (hopefully) all have in common: a shared loathing of John Saul

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ConfusedUs posted:

Most of that kind of thing is in the first chapter. There's very little of it elsewhere.

I remember it coming up frequently. I admit it's been a while since I read it but I read the entire thing and it felt like it was common enough to drive me nuts.

I also despised the "stop reading here, it gets sad" message near the end.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

ImpAtom posted:

I remember it coming up frequently. I admit it's been a while since I read it but I read the entire thing and it felt like it was common enough to drive me nuts.

I also despised the "stop reading here, it gets sad" message near the end.

King is always at his worst when he tries to break (or just edge near) the fourth wall. Self inserts, narrator-as-a-camera, whatever. He sucks at it.

janklow
Sep 28, 2001

whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent.

Ornamented Death posted:

i think it makes sense if you a) really like the Talisman and b) don't care for anything regarding the Dark Tower. not that this is my position on the matter.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Can we please stop arguing about Dean Koontz and start talking about something we (hopefully) all have in common: a shared loathing of John Saul
At least with Koontz you can say he used to be good; if nothing else the sex scenes kept me occupied during puberty (even if there was some creepy poo poo (tat-tat-tat-tat, I'm looking at you, Night Chills) sometimes.

My parents used to buy John Saul books, and I'd grab an armful of them when I was bored or going to the beach or something. I have literally - and more than once - picked up a John Saul book and gotten as far as 50 pages before I realized I'd read the book before. That's how completely forgettable they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Forgive me if it's been mentioned, but James Smythe over at The Guardian is rereading and reviewing all of King's works in order of publication (this link is for Carrie).