Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Some of the rangers are subsistence hunters and buy virtually nothing at all from stores to eat, so for them a freshly shot caribou or whatever is the same old poo poo. A ration of beans and wieners can wind up looking pretty tempting, in such a case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
Only to realize that he's made a huge mistake?

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Stop posting while high. Everyone knows beans and wieners rations are worth their weight in gold. How dare you.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Lassitude posted:

Stop posting while high. Everyone knows beans and wieners rations are worth their weight in gold. How dare you.

I had a couple of the '10 beans and wieners and they were awful. It's like they changed the recipe. They had a taste of omelette with mushroom sauce.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Has anyone seen /r/CanadianForces?

It's not as bad as I thought it would be. I guess there's a reddit for everything now.

They didn't change the beans did they? They were one of the ones I actually liked.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

So anyway I loving hate stomping around in the bush wearing the issued ballistic eyewear and could get my hands on these Wiley SG-1 ballistic goggles. Americans use them so my hope is that we'd be allowed to use them. They seem like they'll fog less and overall be less of a pain in the rear end than the issue stuff. Thoughts?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
/\/\/\ See my post from a couple of weeks ago. Your ability to wear non-issued kit is directly related to how many crusty old men have positions of authority in your unit, combined with how visible you will be wearing the non-issued kit.

I had some '12 beans and wieners in March. They're still loving awesome. :colbert:

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Yeah, I was wondering more along the lines if anyone has experience with them or something similar for infantry sorts of activites. I don't like glasses because it's pretty easy for a stick to sneak up the underside of them during night recce business, and I otherwise have not found a good solution to fogging.

Primus
May 14, 2007

Greater than the sum of his parts.

Canuck-Errant posted:

Looks like I'm headed out to Kingston at the end of the month for a two-month ACCIS training. Anything I should know before I get there?

Don't salute indoors at CFSCE, do salute the NW and SE gates of the base. You're a reservist I take it?

Edit: I can answer any specific questions you have about the school and such.

Primus fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jun 14, 2012

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Lassitude posted:

Yeah, I was wondering more along the lines if anyone has experience with them or something similar for infantry sorts of activites. I don't like glasses because it's pretty easy for a stick to sneak up the underside of them during night recce business, and I otherwise have not found a good solution to fogging.

I think the key to avoiding BEW fogging is taking care of them and wearing them far enough away from your face to maintain air circulation.

I had a captain on phase 3 last fall who was very particular about BEWs, and he was right. I started being anal as gently caress about them, never letting them touch the ground or my skin, keeping them super clean, always putting them in that lens cover thing, and they worked almost as well as they should.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Primus posted:

Don't salute indoors at CFSCE, do salute the NW and SE gates of the base. You're a reservist I take it?

Edit: I can answer any specific questions you have about the school and such.

Yeah, reservist. What can I expect on the ACISS course? Any kit I should make sure to bring? How're the shacks set up? How much is it going to suck having my birthday on the first week of course?

Canuck-Errant fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jun 15, 2012

Primus
May 14, 2007

Greater than the sum of his parts.

Canuck-Errant posted:

Yeah, reservist. What can I expect on the ACISS course? Any kit I should make sure to bring? How're the shacks set up? How much is it going to suck having my birthday on the first week of course?

I'll PM you an outline of the course later but I can answer the rest here.

Make sure you've got your field kit because you need it at the end of the course for the final ex. The shacks are from the 50s essentially; 4 to a room, phone and cable jacks in the rooms. You can see how they're shaped on Google maps. Also the bed standard is dumb and should die in a fire.

As for your birthday, it seems like the compressed reservist DP1 means extra after-hours cock so I...uh wouldn't mention your birthday in earshot of your staff.

Barrakketh
Apr 19, 2011

Victory and defeat are the same. I urge you to act but not to reflect on the fruit of the act. Seek detachment. Fight without desire.

Don't withdraw into solitude. You must act. Yet action mustn't dominate you. In the heart of action you must remain free from all attachment.
Budget cuts are sucking the big one. They aren't running an IBBS between Val and Montreal this summer for the young'uns in Camp Vimy this summer. I'm trying to find cheap transportation for the course I'm working for. I'll probably end up renting a yellow school bus or two to get them home on week-ends, otherwise they're CBed.

Also, is it just me or is norms even more anal this year than before? I can't double time courses everywhere anymore? Gay.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

stevobob fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Aug 16, 2017

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Visited my hometown this week, loved all the Navy and Airforce reservists wearing their identity discs to the bars and talking about their time in Afghanistan.

Are all military towns like this, or just ones near training facilities?

e: Anyone hear about the GG who stabbed himself with his bayonet?

http://metronews.ca/news/ottawa/278820/governor-generals-foot-guard-stabbed-by-own-bayonet/

Frosted Flake fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Jun 29, 2012

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Frosted Flake posted:

Visited my hometown this week, loved all the Navy and Airforce reservists wearing their identity discs to the bars and talking about their time in Afghanistan.

http://metronews.ca/news/ottawa/278820/governor-generals-foot-guard-stabbed-by-own-bayonet/

Most likely just the ones near training facilities. I know Owen Sound and Wasaga were pretty bad for it.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

MA-Horus posted:

Most likely just the ones near training facilities. I know Owen Sound and Wasaga were pretty bad for it.

The Harb :barf:

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.
Its worse in non-Army towns, because reservists really get a kick out of being stupid dbags in uniform since they get even more attention from civvies who arent used to it (I.E. every single town in BC). Note, Im a reservist so, this isnt bashing the reserves.

In fairness, I really hate wearing the uniform in public. Had to fly the other week in uniform (had a same day appointment), and I just felt like a toolbag. One thing is getting food or groceries or whatever on the way home, but I saw someone in uniform once at an H&M in Pacific Centre mall in Vancouver. Really?

swagger like us fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jun 29, 2012

Elgar
Mar 12, 2005
Hey guys, what is going on I don't understand.
I've seen guys in combats on a Saturday evening at a movie theatre.

How do you not feel completely awkward doing that? Ugh.

Also guys out in DEUs at a bar.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Elgar posted:

I've seen guys in combats on a Saturday evening at a movie theatre.

How do you not feel completely awkward doing that? Ugh.

Also guys out in DEUs at a bar.

In Hamilton that is Verboten, thanks to the resident Scottish regiment going out and loving things up. If we wanted to go out drinking after a parade night or mess dinner, we had to change into civvies. loving sucked.

Was ok in Guelph. It was funny seeing the reaction to the uniform in a liberal town like that. Either it's an instant attraction, or a total repulsion.

Frankie!
Apr 1, 2006
Ceci n'est pas un titre....

Frosted Flake posted:

The guy slipped on a metal sewer grate, and stabbed himself. He'll be fine, but he lost a lot of blood so he will probably stay in the hospital for a few weeks. The worst part of this is that people have been falling on that drat grate for some time now, and nothing was ever done about it. The whole incident could easily have been avoided.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

MA-Horus posted:

In Hamilton that is Verboten, thanks to the resident Scottish regiment going out and loving things up. If we wanted to go out drinking after a parade night or mess dinner, we had to change into civvies. loving sucked.

Was ok in Guelph. It was funny seeing the reaction to the uniform in a liberal town like that. Either it's an instant attraction, or a total repulsion.

Going out in public in uniform just to do stuff in uniform is pretty fuckin' lame. Stopping at the canex or a gas station is alright, but going out for drinks, supper, grocery shopping or whatever, just loving change.

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug

My Spirit Otter posted:

Going out in public in uniform just to do stuff in uniform is pretty fuckin' lame. Stopping at the canex or a gas station is alright, but going out for drinks, supper, grocery shopping or whatever, just loving change.

I've always heard that if you're going home in uniform you can make one stop but otherwise should go straight home, but that sounds like one of those rules that isn't actually a rule but everyone keeps repeating it.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

It's one of those things that should be a rule. There's no need to be out in uniform, unless you are the type of douche that wants everyone to think you're cool because you're in the military.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
If I need to go grocery shopping or have to go to the bank immediately after work there's no way I'm going home to change. Screw that. A guy in uniform in northern Edmonton isn't a big deal at all.

And pretty much my entire regiment went out to the bars in DEUs last remembrance day. I felt awkward as hell untill around 6 drinks in, but from then on it was smooth sailing.

Wearing your dog tags in civvies is stupid though, I don't even wear mine at work. I also never mention to people that I'm in the army like some guys do in every conversation.

Samu fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jun 30, 2012

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Frankie! posted:

The guy slipped on a metal sewer grate, and stabbed himself. He'll be fine, but he lost a lot of blood so he will probably stay in the hospital for a few weeks. The worst part of this is that people have been falling on that drat grate for some time now, and nothing was ever done about it. The whole incident could easily have been avoided.

Jesus. I guess the National Capital Commission was responsible?
I never really understood who's in charge of the parades at Parliament and Rideau Hall .
Is it the regiment, the forces, or some ministry?

Also, I thought the policy on uniform was that you could only wear it to, from, or during official business. I feel weird even wearing combats on the bus to work. I can't imagine going to the mall or anything. Canex is usually cool, because everyone is in uniform, and canex is baller.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Yeah, to/from/during barring specific permission otherwise (e.g. pants/boots/shirt for doing ruck marching on your own time). Not something that's very easy to enforce though.

And I agree, I hate wearing my uniform out. Civilians only see the uniform, and they project whatever their feelings about the military are onto you. The combination of standing out and becoming a sounding board for people to bounce their opinion of the CF off of is something I try to avoid, so much so that I always keep a spare shirt/pants/shoes in my car in case I need to do shopping after work or whatever.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

I was going to make an infantard joke, but a foot guard let me off from a serious speeding ticket because I was a horse guard so I wont make fun of the guy :)

Ruse
Dec 16, 2005

Gentlemen, let's broaden our minds!
Rigger runs can be fun, at least in the Navy.

Only really works in a port that doesn't have a navy base around though.

Or Halifax.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
Canada Day: The only day of the year being drunk before lunchtime makes you a patriot, not a problem.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Happy Canada Day. Enjoy your parades!
I'll be getting drunk somewhere.

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug

Ruse posted:

Rigger runs can be fun, at least in the Navy.

Only really works in a port that doesn't have a navy base around though.

Or Halifax.

Portland Rosefest is usually a good time. :)

My ship is in Vancouver this Canada day and I'm stuck working, blehhh. Nothing says Navy like being forced to go do PR somewhere.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE
After a good night's sleep
Having to wear my uniform on the city bus back before I could afford a car... drat.

Uniform in public usually results in hilarity in non military towns.

I know the Toronto units (who have loving lockers) always changed into civies before heading home. Nobody in Hamilton cares, just don't be poo poo faced or do anything retarded (which still happens).

I've gone and done the school talk a couple times, I didn't bother with the uniform because it dehumanizes you, especially to kids. I bring a tan ratty combat shirt they can pass around.

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

I don't know if I was the exception, but I've had nothing but good experiences in uniform in Toronto. To be fair I haven't worn it too much though, only a couple of times to my ULO. One time an off-duty bus gave me a ride to the nearest station, and another time on the subway someone came up and thanked me for my service (awkward, as this was only a few days after our 2 week orientation) and we had a conversation.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

MagicCube posted:

I don't know if I was the exception, but I've had nothing but good experiences in uniform in Toronto. To be fair I haven't worn it too much though, only a couple of times to my ULO. One time an off-duty bus gave me a ride to the nearest station, and another time on the subway someone came up and thanked me for my service (awkward, as this was only a few days after our 2 week orientation) and we had a conversation.

I've seen people doing BFT's sans rifle on Lakeshore. That was weird.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I wish I had a locker. :(

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

Frosted Flake posted:

I wish I had a locker. :(

I was referring to Downsview I don't know how it works for everyone else.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Hizawk posted:

I've seen people doing BFT's sans rifle on Lakeshore. That was weird.

Kind of misses the point of the B in BFT.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2012/07/05/pol-weston-public-service-severance.html

So this is a thing... Anyone know if people who left the military a year ago would still be eligible, or is this strictly for those still in? I had 4 years served, so a month's paycheck for doing nothing would be pretty sweet!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

Mr.48 posted:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2012/07/05/pol-weston-public-service-severance.html

So this is a thing... Anyone know if people who left the military a year ago would still be eligible, or is this strictly for those still in? I had 4 years served, so a month's paycheck for doing nothing would be pretty sweet!

I could use some coin right about now.