Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

particle409
Jan 15, 2008

Thou bootless clapper-clawed varlot!

Unguided posted:

The 19 fate option does the same thing for people who've already met him. If you don't have him yet, get your suspicion up to 8 and get sent to prison then draw cards until you meet him there (his card is gold); once you get out, wait for the painting card to come back. Saves three fate on one of the more interesting stories.

Ok, so I'll still need to spend some fate to meet him, but it's one of the better storylines. So far I've avoided prison, but I'll make a trip there now I guess, get it out of the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luquos
Aug 9, 2009

how about we go back to my place and i conquer your world, if you know what i mean
Where can I get a Shepherd's timepiece? I've done all the soul trade quests I can, and I chose to try and get souls back to their bodies. What can do I do after that?

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Luquos posted:

Where can I get a Shepherd's timepiece? I've done all the soul trade quests I can, and I chose to try and get souls back to their bodies. What can do I do after that?

There should be a messenger from the Committee for Vital Restitution at your lodgings, if you've done enough.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Can those of you who've done plenty of Fate-locked storylines tell me which are worth purchasing? I've done the Velocipede Squad (eh so far) the Jack-of-Smiles one (already discussed) and the Engaged in Theological Husbandry one (I loving love my Bifurcated Owl). I've been thinking about doing the Gold-Framed Painting one and the Soul Trade.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

Can those of you who've done plenty of Fate-locked storylines tell me which are worth purchasing? I've done the Velocipede Squad (eh so far) the Jack-of-Smiles one (already discussed) and the Engaged in Theological Husbandry one (I loving love my Bifurcated Owl). I've been thinking about doing the Gold-Framed Painting one and the Soul Trade.

Soul Trade is short but gives good rewards; the recurring opportunity card for restoring souls keeps menaces down and sends Church, Society and Constables connections through the roof. Either path through the story will give you new options in other stories involving souls and you'll also receive a card that will help stain your soul if you're into that. The painting had an interesting story but trivial rewards. Those two and the monster breeding are the best fate stories in my opinion.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
Flute street is alright too, the rewards aren't amazing but the flavor is pretty good.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
It's a half-decent source of earlier City coins prior to the 100+ traits game, and I think the Deluged Dowager is probably worth half the cost of admission by herself.

particle409
Jan 15, 2008

I looked up how to raise my "counting the days" quality:

http://fallenlondon.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Counting_the_Days

Do people feel that the Consonant Violin is worth it? I want to increase those secondary traits, and for 5 marks of credit it gives you +1 respectable.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
From a stat point of view, Persuasive +2 items are fairly cheap and respectable isn't that hard to get ahold of; at this point I'm a member of God's Editors and the Parthenaeum, so I've got respectability dripping out my ears.

I've decided to give up on romancing the Barbed Wit. It's just an endless AP sink. I think I want to get banished from the Court and start the Foreign Office storyline, as I don't know how to work on getting access to the Iron Republic without just waiting around for cards. Any advice on that?

Also, did I blow any chance of getting the Regretful Soldier as an acquaintance when I ignored him back when my Dangerous was <100? I never see any opportunity cards related to the man.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jun 28, 2012

Luquos
Aug 9, 2009

how about we go back to my place and i conquer your world, if you know what i mean

Halloween Jack posted:

I've decided to give up on romancing the Barbed Wit. It's just an endless AP sink. I think I want to get banished from the Court and start the Foreign Office storyline, as I don't know how to work on getting access to the Iron Republic without just waiting around for cards. Any advice on that?

It's all waiting for Mark of Credit Pages, I'm afraid.

CremePudding
Oct 30, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

From a stat point of view, Persuasive +2 items are fairly cheap and respectable isn't that hard to get ahold of; at this point I'm a member of God's Editors and the Parthenaeum, so I've got respectability dripping out my ears.

Also, did I blow any chance of getting the Regretful Soldier as an acquaintance when I ignored him back when my Dangerous was <100? I never see any opportunity cards related to the man.

The Violin is for these who really, really need to maximize your Respectable. Go for it if you have nothing else to do.

===============

Getting the Iron Republic Safe-Conduct = 3 Mark of Credit
You don't need to wait for cards if you got all the Acquaintances characters, as they each have a option to raise Counting the Days (and at the same time increase your relationship above the normal cap)

Soldier = Counting the Days 0 to 6
Forger = Counting the Days 6 to 10
Singer = Counting the Days 10 to 12
Functionary = Counting the Days 12 to 14

Then you wait for the card to buy a Mark of Credit. Do it three times. It is about 24 actions per cycle, so three cycles in and you can buy a Safe-Conduct from the Lodging via the Local Gossip guy.

================

The Regretful Soldier's card only appears when you are in Watchmaker's Hill. There's no stats cap.

================

By the way I am giving out First City Coins. Goons get priority, but not that many people actually ask me for it anyway.

================

Personal Opinions on Fate-locked storyline:

Theological Husbandry (the one in Labyrinth of Tiger) is very good.
Soul Trade has truckloads of tie-in throughout the game.
Spending Fate on buying a boat can save you a lot of grind. Possibly a whole month of grinding at least.
Rubbery Murders is a bit bland and feels like a generic low-level venture.
Long Lost Daughter is really, really bad. The best thing is that if you got the Daughter as a pet, she have no stats at all, not even negative stats.

Wilmott Snipes
May 29, 2002

It's daddy shithead, where's the bourbon?
Thanks for the tips for getting marks of credit, I was wondering how I was going to get those. I am in Polythreme right now and the content is great but I don't see how anyone could do it without having two candles. The whole thing is a huge grind to get anything done.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Thanks for the info, Creme. So, if at this point I have to just wait for opportunity cards, what are the best choices for just grinding money? I know some of the Mahogany Hall options give more than an Echo's worth of Glim...

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Successfully wooing the Barbed Wit resulted in what I still think is the most satisfyingly funny storylet in the game. But that's me.

I haven't been playing in a while, but if you can get to the back streets of Veilgarden then dealing with your agent gives you better than an echo per turn spent.

Luquos
Aug 9, 2009

I've seen the phrase University/Flit exploit thrown around? What is this?

CremePudding
Oct 30, 2011

Luquos posted:

I've seen the phrase University/Flit exploit thrown around? What is this?

You know the second part of University story where you investigate a murder and the investigate options give you some cryptic clue? Combine that with the higher-level Flit options where you can cash in your Investigating.

Doesn't work if you are kicked out or finished the University story obviously. I don't recommend you staying in the University forever through - being kicked out is a prerequisite to doing research on the Islands.

Luquos
Aug 9, 2009

CremePudding posted:

You know the second part of University story where you investigate a murder and the investigate options give you some cryptic clue? Combine that with the higher-level Flit options where you can cash in your Investigating.

Doesn't work if you are kicked out or finished the University story obviously. I don't recommend you staying in the University forever through - being kicked out is a prerequisite to doing research on the Islands.

Yeah, I've already been kicked out. Done one round of research, trying to get my reputation back!

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I managed to get the Bazaar lease by combining University/Flit with the Tiger Keeper in the Labyrinth. Got Whispered secrets from the investigation, chose the Rostygold option from the Flit portion, then traded that to the Keeper for more secrets once I had enough.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.
EDIT: Wrong thread, whoops.

Democrazy fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jun 30, 2012

Luquos
Aug 9, 2009

Unguided posted:

I managed to get the Bazaar lease by combining University/Flit with the Tiger Keeper in the Labyrinth. Got Whispered secrets from the investigation, chose the Rostygold option from the Flit portion, then traded that to the Keeper for more secrets once I had enough.

I just used the Empress' court. 85 per action took a while, but it was reasonably early.

particle409
Jan 15, 2008

Should I sell my soul? I keep seeing the card for it, since I fate-bought the soul merchant story. It seems like a small amount of nevercold brass up front, but I imagine there are repercussions later, correct?

CremePudding
Oct 30, 2011

particle409 posted:

Should I sell my soul? I keep seeing the card for it, since I fate-bought the soul merchant story. It seems like a small amount of nevercold brass up front, but I imagine there are repercussions later, correct?

There's all sort of negative consequences; the most significant being that you are barred from doing a bunch of profitable stuff in the University related to Summerset College and have replacement branches where you do spiteful stuff for less profit and probably some CP of scandal. And it drops your Summerset Connection.

At Mahogany Hall's Pygmalion story (which is one of the most straightforward and profitable storyline), if you are educating the Louche Devil you again cannot use the most profitable action (111 Brass + 3 CP in Pygmalion) if you are soulless. Due to Lyme the Clay Man pupil's reward being nerfed a little, the Devil is the most profitable option there... unless you are soulless.

At the Shuttered Palace there's an minor option locked to soullessness, but it is not particularly important.

Also, it cost you at least 10 diamonds, a lot of cards-flipping, a bunch of fate, 200 moon-pearls, 300 rats-on-a-sting and 15+ actions to retrieve your soul... which you sold for like, 10 echoes.

P.S. If you are planning to do the Seeking Mr Eaten's name story, you must keep your soul or retrieve it (with fate).

(Note: I got a Shepherd's Timepiece, so I might be a bit biased.)

CremePudding fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jul 2, 2012

particle409
Jan 15, 2008

CremePudding posted:

There's all sort of negative consequences; the most significant being that you are barred from doing a bunch of profitable stuff in the University related to Summerset College and have replacement branches where you do spiteful stuff for less profit and probably some CP of scandal. And it drops your Summerset Connection.

I just started at the university. Should I be courting Benthic or Summerset? Or does it not matter at the beginning?

CremePudding
Oct 30, 2011

particle409 posted:

I just started at the university. Should I be courting Benthic or Summerset? Or does it not matter at the beginning?

Try to court both as much as possible; at no point are there any story that require you to actually take sides. However, most of the profitable storylet at the end of a term check your Connected:Benthic/Summerset.

http://echobazaar.wikidot.com/the-university

^Check this.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I've noticed that one of the problems of being closer to the endgame is that you've unlocked so many storylines and opportunities that you're constantly getting cards you don't want, crowding out the ones that you do. I'm thinking of spending enough AP to cut the Intimate of Devils storyline down to zero, for instance, since it's profited me little and not taken me anywhere interesting storywise.

particle409
Jan 15, 2008

CremePudding posted:

Try to court both as much as possible; at no point are there any story that require you to actually take sides. However, most of the profitable storylet at the end of a term check your Connected:Benthic/Summerset.

http://echobazaar.wikidot.com/the-university

^Check this.

Thanks. Has anybody tried the "Aunt and the Embassy" fate-locked storylet? It costs 15 fate to unlock, not sure if it's worth it.

CremePudding
Oct 30, 2011
I am not sure, as most people make sure to never lose their aunts in the first place. Unless you have spare fate and no other fate-locked storyline to spend it on, maybe you can wait till later on.

The other Aunt storyline where she try to get you to send things to her on the surface (also 15 fate) is pretty good if you ask me. It is profitable until you reach the top. As long as you pick a job that doesn't involve working for Mr Wines the eventual recurring card is a good scandal remover.

http://echobazaar.wikidot.com/hosting-an-inconvenient-aunt-story

CremePudding fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jul 4, 2012

particle409
Jan 15, 2008

Anybody want to compete against me in "The Tournament of Lilies?" I just started it, at the first stage.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

particle409 posted:

Anybody want to compete against me in "The Tournament of Lilies?" I just started it, at the first stage.

I'm on the second stage, I'll get back to you after you're done with the first.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Anyone have strong opinions about any of the Constant Companions? I started looking into the Celebrated Artist's Model, but I thought one of the Foreign Office related ones might be more intriguing and appropriate to my character. (Disclaimer: I do not go on the Failbetter forums and type in-character in repulsively overwrought pseudo-Victorian.)

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.
I just started this.

I'm Arthur Dventure Pigeon

:downs:

Luquos
Aug 9, 2009

Where is the best place to grind echoes? I kind of want to get an Overgoat.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
My best bet for just getting money is Glim from "Educating Lyme" at Mahogany Hall. I'm not enough of a math nerd to figure out if the increased rewards one gets from things like big heists in The Flit, or going to places across the Unterzee, are worth the AP sink up-front for a big reward at the end.

By the by, I enjoyed The Foreign Office storyline.

Wilmott Snipes
May 29, 2002

Hey everyone, was wondering if anyone had any ideas to raise Scandal quickly if I already have high persuasion? I am looking to get a tomb-lion.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Remember that a Modish Bonnet, Scarlet Stockings, and Brass Ring will give you an effective Scandal of 4.

Unless your Persuasive is really really high, you can probably lower it with items (Bottled Oblivion, Talkative Rat, Ridiculous Hat) and still be able to fail some of the "Classes in Etiquette" storylets in Mahogany Hall that will raise Scandal.

You can also pose nude for a painting by the Repentant Forger. That's a quick way.

Wilmott Snipes
May 29, 2002

Thanks for the info, got my tomb lion without much hassle. Also good match to Ouroborous777, now I am a plant champion!!

Luquos
Aug 9, 2009

Just maxed my first stat. Really good feeling.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Getting enough (Meritorious/Salacious/Outlandish) copy is a pain in the rear end. Are any of you following the Light Fingers or Bag A Legend ambitions that I could follow on Twitter/Facebook?

By the by, I recommend the relatively cheap Educating A Young Lady Fate-locked option at Mahogany Hall--it becomes a source of some goods (Silk Scrap, Cryptic Clue, and Glim) at a better rate than the standard post-Person of Some Importance grind rate. The Rubbery Pupil one is interesting, but it pays in Amber and I don't think you'll get the most out of it without a Peculiar Personal Enhancement.

Wilmott Snipes
May 29, 2002

I just named my slavering-dream-hound Nicodemus. I love this loving game even though grinding for antique mysteries to get into the Royal Bethlehem is getting to be tiresome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
When doing Preparatory research, how many pages of each types should I prepare before I go? I've got about 150 of each so far.