Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here
just jailbroke an Iphone 4. After the jailbreak finished, there was a notification on the phone saying something about storage is nearly full but I just ignored it. Loaded up cydia and it's doing its thing about the filesystem. Once it's finished I get another notification saying storage is nearly full.

This was a clean Iphone. No videos, apps, etc. Settings says there 6gigs unused.
Is this something I should be concerned about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

QPZIL posted:

After you hold the button and the Siri window comes up, use the volume controls. Siri has a separate volume control than other apps.

This works. Thanks.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

glompix posted:

drat, after all that Hattori Hanzo font talk, I had to try it. I'm normally skeptical about tweaks like this, but god drat this font looks good. Everyone needs to try it, at least on retina.

It's too thin!

I like non-bold fonts with some meat to them. The Ubuntu font has been my favorite since the 4.0.x days.

iLikeMidgets posted:

just jailbroke an Iphone 4. After the jailbreak finished, there was a notification on the phone saying something about storage is nearly full but I just ignored it. Loaded up cydia and it's doing its thing about the filesystem. Once it's finished I get another notification saying storage is nearly full.

This was a clean Iphone. No videos, apps, etc. Settings says there 6gigs unused.
Is this something I should be concerned about?

This is the way it messes with the file system. You could have an empty, 64GB device and Cydia would still rearrange the file system in such a way to trigger the "Full!" message.

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

Whenever my body starts to feel sick, I just stop being sick and be awesome instead.
That Hattori Hanzo font gives me Android vibes.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Is there anything like Georgia font?

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Glimm posted:

If anyone is interested in making Chrome their default browser it's now easily possible on jailbroken devices:
http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-set-chrome-as-the-default-web-browser-on-iphone-ipod-touch-and-ipad/

Also supports: Opera Mni, iCab Mobile, Dolphin Browser and Atomic Browser.
BrowserChanger already did that, and Chrome was added today.

Klowns
May 13, 2009

Laugh At Me Will They?
All the talk of Hattori Hanzo font made me take a look and it is indeed a beautiful thing.

The only reason I still have Winterboard installed these days is for NoCamSound because gently caress that shutter noise, and I can't be bothered to leave my phone on vibrate.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT
I have a lovely internet connection at home and this makes streaming YouTube videos on my iPhone and iPad nearly impossible because the built-in app insists on using higher resolution streams than it would on the desktop site. Are there any apps (or even a .plist edit) that will force 480p or 360p on these devices?

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

Zorilla posted:

I have a lovely internet connection at home and this makes streaming YouTube videos on my iPhone and iPad nearly impossible because the built-in app insists on using higher resolution streams than it would on the desktop site. Are there any apps (or even a .plist edit) that will force 480p or 360p on these devices?

With MxTube, you can select the stream quality(sometimes with as many as three quality options, depending on the video) as well as download stuff for offline usage.

Edit: it's not what you were asking for but it's a solution.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Zorilla posted:

Disable the lovely YouTube app in restrictions and it'll use the full site in safari.

omg car crash
Jul 21, 2008

PRIDE after the fall. Champion, 2011. :dealwithit:
This may be a little vague, but is there any reason why my music just will not sync to my iPhone 4 after jail broken? For some reason it will transfer over my purchased songs, but never my entire library.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

Zorilla posted:

Protube lets you download in whatever quality. Also can stream in non hd. It also let's you stream desktop only stuff I think. It was $1.49 last I checked.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
MX Tube is free and that works for downloads as well.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT
Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately, I'm already aware of MxTube, ProTube, and playing videos from Safari. I was hoping there was some solution I missed.

If the stock YouTube app actually supported resolution selection, Watch Later, and the front page Highlights feed, it might actually feel up to date and satisfy most of the complaints about it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Zorilla posted:

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately, I'm already aware of MxTube, ProTube, and playing videos from Safari. I was hoping there was some solution I missed.

If the stock YouTube app actually supported resolution selection, Watch Later, and the front page Highlights feed, it might actually feel up to date and satisfy most of the complaints about it.

Again, just disable it in restrictions so that all the URLs are forced to the Safari version of YouTube. Just make sure you tick off the HQ icon. The app itself is lovely and the mobile site is far superior.

SCHMITYZ.1337
Jul 10, 2007
these snozberries taste like snozberries
I was wondering, on an iPhone 4 thats jailbroken and with Siri, is it the "real siri"? I thought I read somewhere that its a google API and it's not the same thing thats on iPhone 4S...

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

SCHMITYZ.1337 posted:

I was wondering, on an iPhone 4 thats jailbroken and with Siri, is it the "real siri"? I thought I read somewhere that its a google API and it's not the same thing thats on iPhone 4S...

Depends on the version. The two most popular from what I've seen are Siriport and i4Siri. Siriport.ru is real Siri and has to be updated to new keys every 24 hours. i4Siri is a custom API.

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together -- mass hysteria.
Is there a tweak I can install that allows me to access iPhone settings from Notification Center so I can use Poof to hide the 'Settings' icon from the springboard? I'm trying to reduce clutter and better manage how I access the parts of my phone.

I'm currently using NCSettings for all my toggle needs but there is no toggle for the iPhone settings preferences app.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

You can always get to any hidden app via spotlight search.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Switchy, which adds a second row to the multitasking tray, also adds a Settings button in the far left screen of the tray. I haven't removed the Settings icon from my home screen, but I suppose I could. Maybe that will work for you?

SLOSifl fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jul 2, 2012

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

The Aphasian posted:

You can always get to any hidden app via spotlight search.

This worked great for me until I realised I also like to hide the spotlight search page :(

steamed horse
Dec 4, 2004

Deadpool posted:

Depends on the version. The two most popular from what I've seen are Siriport and i4Siri. Siriport.ru is real Siri and has to be updated to new keys every 24 hours. i4Siri is a custom API.

Has anyone had any success with either of these? I tried i4Siri and all it did was the purple light that spins around just kept spinning and not doing anything once I asked it something.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

gramlock posted:

Has anyone had any success with either of these? I tried i4Siri and all it did was the purple light that spins around just kept spinning and not doing anything once I asked it something.

I got the exact same thing.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Unless you have access to the key codes from someone you know with a 4s and renew it daily, you're either going to get no Siri action, or if you use an unknown proxy you may get sporadic / occasional working while simultaneously giving your info to Russian hackers.

Even with the former option it wasn't worth it for me to use my 4s codes to proxy for my wife's 4.

steamed horse
Dec 4, 2004

Yeah I've uninstalled it. Guess I'm just going to have to wait for the 5.

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003
Siri kind of sucks anyhow... pretty unreliable and not very accurate in dictation, from my experiences over the last 6 months.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

hunter x az posted:

Siri kind of sucks anyhow... pretty unreliable and not very accurate in dictation, from my experiences over the last 6 months.

I find the voice recognition to be completely spot on about 95% of th time. I use it mostly when I have my headphones on and I'm walking down the street. I can change songs, check the time, send/receive texts and have it set reminders for me.

If you're a smoker it's loving awesome :)

I do think it's loving lacking though. I can only imagine how hard it must be for people with accents speaking English that Siri isn't equipped to understand. I also think the knowledge base is much lower than it could be, even after the Keynote announcements. Perhaps it's that I'm not interested in sports whatsoever, and that seems to be one of the major tent poles of Siri.

I also don't care for asking it to open an app for me. I would love to see a situation that it would be handy because I can't think of one.

I'd prefer hardcore fact checking, conversion being even better, I dunno. I wish I could say "What movies has James Cameron directed" and have it not say "I can't look for places in Canada" I'd rather it, if it didn't know, at least have Siri put it into Google and just pop up the first result, as it's prolly right anyways.

But I guess I should expect Apple to slowly add to the feature than try to blow the load all at once. It works better if it's slowly implemented one by one.

But no problems in terms of it knowing what the gently caress I said.

Wolf on Air
Dec 31, 2004

Combat Instructor
Armed Forces, Time-Space Administration Bureau
Siri has no idea what I say half the time (Swedish accent) and the rest of the time it tells me it's useless since I don't live in the US. The only reason I keep it enabled is the phone keeps the IR proximity sensor enabled all the time with siri off, which I presume draws more battery.

I slurred some non-word into the microphone and ironically it interpreted it as 'Open bar' and informed me it couldn't help me. The guessing-vs-ask-for-repetition parameter seems mistuned.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I guess I don't understand why someone with a heavy foreign accent and NOT living in the area Siri 'works'
would be disappointed with their results. Wouldn't you expect that? As a native english speaker living in America, Siri always understands me and works like 90% of the time.

Klowns
May 13, 2009

Laugh At Me Will They?
I had good luck with SiriPort but found it pretty RAM heavy so turned it off (not uninstalled) but I noticed the new version now works with Twitter so wanted to try it out again but I just get the "Sorry, can't help you now, try again latter" messages.

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

Is that you, John Wayne? Is this me?
I know there is a Siri port out there that allows you to use your own proxy, and not one of the public ones. Does anyone know which one that is, and if it works on 5.1.1?

I have a new iPad running iOS 6 Beta, so I would like to be able to use the siri from my iPad on my phone if possible.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

HorseDickSandwich posted:

I know there is a Siri port out there that allows you to use your own proxy, and not one of the public ones. Does anyone know which one that is, and if it works on 5.1.1?

I have a new iPad running iOS 6 Beta, so I would like to be able to use the siri from my iPad on my phone if possible.

It doesn't quite work that way.

From what I understand, you need server software running on your computer to handle the requests. It has nothing to do with your iPad's Siri.

decypher fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jul 3, 2012

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah, that's not how it works at all. If you run your own proxy it has custom commands and isn't really Siri at all.

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

Is that you, John Wayne? Is this me?

decypher posted:

It doesn't quite work that way.

How does it work?

I know when Spire came out a while back there was some software for you to be able to setup your own proxy on your web server that would use yours or a friends 4S key allowing your non-4S device to access siri natively. That's how threelittpigs, etc. run their servers. With donated 4S keys allowing other devices to connect to Apples servers.

I don't know if whatever that was works on 5.1.1 because Spire doesn't, that's why I was asking.

PunkRockTuba fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jul 3, 2012

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Another vote for this hanzo font. It just makes everything look cleaner somehow.

Na'at
May 5, 2003

You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star
Lipstick Apathy

henpod posted:

Another vote for this hanzo font.

I gave it a try but honestly, I prefer Klill.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
I like Hanzo, but if you use another language on your phone it looks really weird. With the English being really thin, the Korean being normal sized looked HUGE in comparison. If there was a font that works with Korean characters I'd be all over things, but for now I'm sticking with the normal font.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I'm old and blind so, while I like hanzo and think it's pretty, I had to revert to stock for the fatty readability. Are there any silly bigger, clearer fonts anyone is using that don't break stuff?

Then again I operate mostly by icon and in-app fonts aren't an issue so maybe it's not worth the trouble. Kinda fun though :)

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT
I tried Hattori Hanzo for a couple of minutes, but the font tracking was way too narrow and the weight too thin for the purpose. Plus, the status bar icons really feel as though they were designed with neo-grotesque and geometric fonts in mind, especially the monochrome icons. Anything else just looks like a mishmash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I am using biteSMS, but is there a SMS app that control texts by contact. For example on Android they have GoSMS that has privacy box. You can make texts got directly there and you have to have a password to read. My wife likes to keep me hmmm...motivated.. at work but I don't want them flashing up on my notification screen. Also I don't want someone to see them if I let them look at my phone. There has to be something? I thought about Black SMS but my wife doesn't have a iPhone yet.

• Locked thread