Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mathemagician
Aug 21, 2003

tell me some more

First Shinryu victory. Also beat NeoExDeath but everyone has seen a million of those by now :v:

My strategy for Shinryu was to use the Wonder Rod to Berzerk him, then put Crystal Shields on 3/4 guys, then have them wail on him with swords. That's it. He couldn't kill the party fast enough, since I could just use phoenix down on them and not worry about healing them since any hit was 9999 anyway. Brave Blade, Excalibur, Enhancer, and Defender won the day. I know there are a dozen better ways to do it, with Guard / critical health and such, but SWORDS WIN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

Schwartzcough posted:

Are you just asking for a team rating? That's a pretty good team. Probably a bit light on good item users and Techniques, but most techniques are still pretty terrible so that's fine. So-so physical ranged damage, but you have crossbows with your Time Mage and handbombs with your Breaker. And it doesn't matter since your Black Mage can nuke almost anything. No team can do everything well, which is part of the fun and challenge of adding a job system.

Stealing is good for making money and unlocking stuff in the bazaar (and getting some good equipment off of rare game monsters).

I assume I'll need a bazaar guide to find out what exactly I can get then? Alright.

And yea, I was just making sure I had all my bases covered as far as the usual buff/debuff/etc stuff goes. A friend told me to get all the mage classes since I would need dispells and buffs to make managing big boss fights easier.

I have been breezing through most content so far(just finished the Ancient City of Giruvaran). Gambits are both really useful and a real pain in the rear end. I find myself turning them off half the time because they end up just wasting a ton of mana or targetting all the wrong poo poo. Plus I can't control my team mates without some serious menu micro unlike, say Dragon Age.

Does getting the "Increases Magic Potency" license square have any effect on debuffs/buffs like slow or haste?

Berk Berkly fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jun 28, 2012

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Berk Berkly posted:

Does getting the "Increases Magic Potency" have any effect on debuffs/buffs like slow or haste?

Are you talking about Magic Lores, or stuff like Serenity? Magic Lores just give you +1 to your magic attack stat, which has a very minor affect on success rates and matter more for damage/healing. Things like Serenity have a much larger effect on success rates (as long as you meet the condition for them to kick in). Things like Haste and Protect never miss, but it matters for negative status spells (and for Lure, which has an annoying tendency to miss).

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

That's actually because Lure (and Reverse) are considered negative status effects, even though IMHO they're beneficial.

If you remove Stamina-increasing gear, they'll hit more often and last longer. This'll diminish the duration of actual buffs, though. Also, don't try to Lure/Reverse someone with Shell.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Schwartzcough posted:

Stealing is good for making money and unlocking stuff in the bazaar (and getting some good equipment off of rare game monsters).

Since Vaan, Fran, and Balthier know Steal by default, I pretty much always have one of them with an Enemy HP 100% > Steal gambit.

Dr Pepper fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jun 28, 2012

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

Schwartzcough posted:

Are you talking about Magic Lores, or stuff like Serenity? Magic Lores just give you +1 to your magic attack stat, which has a very minor affect on success rates and matter more for damage/healing. Things like Serenity have a much larger effect on success rates (as long as you meet the condition for them to kick in). Things like Haste and Protect never miss, but it matters for negative status spells (and for Lure, which has an annoying tendency to miss).

For the License grid upgrades, like Serenity and such. A few squares are just plain "Increases magic potency" which makes sense for damage spells but I wasn't sure if buffs/debuffs got any benefit from picking it up.

I did notice one square had "increase status effect duration" which I assume means stuff like protect lasts longer.

These games hid their mechanics behind so much silence/obstifucation its hard to tell whats having an effect and what isn't sometimes.

quote:

Since Vaan, Fran, and Balthier know Steal by default, I pretty much always have one of them with an Enemy HP 100% > Steal gambit.

I did that but I noticed they have this horrible tendency to run off and steal from mobs I wasn't focusing endlessly so I either hand to manually re-target them, or distribute attacks. Also I had to get them to re-steal if they missed the first time and the mob was damaged in the intermediary. It felt like a pain in the rear end, and I was having to micro-manage them just as much or more if I just stole manually, so I just stopped stealing all together.

Berk Berkly fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jun 28, 2012

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Well, I beat Necrophobe this evening by throwing four Breath Wings at the barriers. Even thought to equip the thief knife and grabbed the Genji Armor, though I dunno if I prefer that to Bone Mail. I should've stolen the Shield from the previous fight, but meh. If wishes were Elixers... So now I get to decide how to tackle Exdeath with Beastmaster/Dragoon/Time/Black. Just to get my thoughts out here to sleep on them...

4x Breath Wing
Pros: combine with Bahamut/Leviathan from the lamp and some nuking, should get rid of top(dragon, Grand Cross)/middle(beast, Almagest) quickly and have Odin ready for the moment the front follows suit.
Cons: Quick makes nuking easier and my Drg/Blm wouldn't have it. Time Mage would only have Comet/Meteor and I can't single-target broken staves. That could make the first form a slog and the second a painful last few thousand HP.

General Pros
Strong magic, everyone can sit in the back row. Have the beast whip and could go try to grind the dragon whisker/steal a dragon lance for more burst damage. Hastega and can heal everyone with flame rings.

General Cons
With flame rings they're not wearing other stuff to boost their magic defense. Giving more guys !Black for healing potential means less !Time for quick, especially if I use Breath Wing.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!

Berk Berkly posted:

I did that but I noticed they have this horrible tendency to run off and steal from mobs I wasn't focusing endlessly so I either hand to manually re-target them, or distribute attacks. Also I had to get them to re-steal if they missed the first time and the mob was damaged in the intermediary. It felt like a pain in the rear end, and I was having to micro-manage them just as much or more if I just stole manually, so I just stopped stealing all together.
I'd recommend giving the HP = 100% -> Steal gambit to your party leader, so they aren't running off to fight people. Additionally, don't worry about not snagging the item instantly (unless you're fighting something which gives really good armour), there'll always be another enemy. If Steal only works half the time, you're still getting 1.5x as many items overall.

Speaking of the IZJS, I'd be up for playing it myself. Do I need to import a Japanese copy (and find a way to get around the region lock), or is there a simpler way to get to play it? Thanks :)

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

Allan Assiduity posted:

I'd recommend giving the HP = 100% -> Steal gambit to your party leader, so they aren't running off to fight people. Additionally, don't worry about not snagging the item instantly (unless you're fighting something which gives really good armour), there'll always be another enemy. If Steal only works half the time, you're still getting 1.5x as many items overall.

Speaking of the IZJS, I'd be up for playing it myself. Do I need to import a Japanese copy (and find a way to get around the region lock), or is there a simpler way to get to play it? Thanks :)

The thing is, my party leader isn't always the one with Steal. But yea, I'll just manually steal when I get the chance. My party blows up individual mobs so I have to attempt right at the beginning of the fight or I won't get a second chance.

As far as I know IZJS, oddly enough, despite being called "International" was a Japan only release, which means you have to get a copy and then apply the English patch.

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

Berk Berkly posted:

Right now I'm playing with Breaker, Knight for tanks, White, Black, Red, and Time mages to fill out the rest. I figure that covers all my healing/buff/debuff bases. All the other 'classes' in the zodiac seem to just be various melee/range attackers with little utility.
That's a solid team, but I think having all four mages at once is overkill. All four mages get the Green spells of Oil, Reverse, Lure, Drain, and Syphon.

Red Mage is a very good class, though a bit redundant when you already have White and Black around. I feel like Time Mage in FFXII IZJS runs into the classic issue with JRPG debuffs. Time magic has a lot of fancy status effects that at best tend to either be very situational, or at worst to just not work at all. Meanwhile, Red and Black both get the "basic" statuses of Sleep, Poison, Silence, and Blind. Ironically, those are much easier to use and tend to shut down enemies as well or better. In my playthrough I felt like Time Mage was a significant underperformer next to Red Mage.

That said, you get a 1.5x damage multiplier for attacking a sleeping enemy, and that applies to magic too. Dogpiling on a sleeping monster with all mages ends things fast.

Uhlan (Lancer) and Monk can hit flying enemies with their melee attacks. I think Monk is the better of the two for getting some white magic from espers.

I'm partial to Samurai for their high combo rate. Knight honestly has better DPS (plus white magic), but that 12 Hit Combo is just plain fun.

I really liked Machinist in my playthrough. Guns are nice consistent damage versus most monsters, and you can hit over half the elements with them, including Fire. The best gun takes a bit of effort to get, but with buffs it was doing 50,000 to Yiazmat with every shot. Machinist also gets some time magic with the right esper, most notably Hastega and Slowga. By the endgame, Machinist Penelo had pretty much entirely overtaken Time Mage Fran's role. I've never tried Archer; I think Machinist looks like the better of the two.

Shikari (Hunter) didn't seem great to me. The class didn't have a lot going for it, and pretty much everyone else was outpacing their damage. The Danjuro L was fun (80% chance of an instant death proc that also ignores undead status!), but still had poor DPS and not much else.

Berk Berkly posted:

Stealing seems to be kind of a waste of time. Ditto for Poaching.
Stealing is sweet. Poaching is pointless. Poaching can get you some rare loot items, but it's a pain to set up and there's nothing from Poach that you can't get more easily with just Steal or drops.

I only ever had one person with Steal active at a time. Usually it was the party leader, with everyone else set to follow their target.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot
I had no idea you could hit flying enemies with the Lancer and Monk. I figured you were a bit screwed until you got Telekensis.

The reason I tossed Red Mage in there was so I could have some redundancy with buffs/dispells and such, plus they get the Dark/Death spells which others don't seem to at all, which gives them a niche.

Since the game makes you level up all your characters I wanted a bit of a cog-in-the-machine setup where I could swap out members while running around to keep them up to speed or if one died in a boss fight I could quick-swap the dead member out and still have the same role occupied. Such as losing my dispeller to an X-zone. Or at least thats what I told myself.

Is there a way for my mages to stop acting like imbeciles? I don't give them any attack gambits but they still want to walk up right next to my tank's mob and cure them which draws aggro. I need something to tell them to stay the gently caress away.

VVVV Nope, once selected they are stuck on that Job-board. And you can only have one character on one job. It isn't quite as cool as previous Job systems to be honest. A lot less flexible but it does make you think about and specialize your party members or at least should.

Berk Berkly fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jun 28, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

FF12 With a job system sound awesome. You can't switch mid-game though right?

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

FF12 With a job system sound awesome. You can't switch mid-game though right?

That's right. Whatever job you choose for them is permanent.

If they'd made the licence boards for each job smaller, so they could be mastered more quickly, they could have allowed a job switching mechanic like FFV. Your experience could only be used on your current job, and you could only equip weapons and armour compatible with that job.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

That loving Sned posted:

That's right. Whatever job you choose for them is permanent.

If they'd made the licence boards for each job smaller, so they could be mastered more quickly, they could have allowed a job switching mechanic like FFV. Your experience could only be used on your current job, and you could only equip weapons and armour compatible with that job.

Indeed. There could have been so many interesting/fun/cool ways to apply the job system. Being able to select two jobs and then having some kind of neat cross-class synergy, like Time Mage/Thief applying slow when he steals or or Samuri/Black mage chaining spells with his combo. Its really a shame.

I also keep finding it an amusing bit of video-gamism that you can steal the pelt right off of a living animal.

Berk Berkly fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Jun 28, 2012

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

Berk Berkly posted:

VVVV Nope, once selected they are stuck on that Job-board. And you can only have one character on one job. It isn't quite as cool as previous Job systems to be honest. A lot less flexible but it does make you think about and specialize your party members or at least should.

So in a way it's more like FFIX but you initially choose which job which character gets. I can live with that. I'm doing a semi restrictive run on FFV where each character has a primary trait and only runs jobs with that trait, a la, agility= thief, ninja, archer etc. Though i've bollocksed it up a bit by having a black magic slinging archer...

It would be cool if an HD reissue of XII gave you a choice of licence boards, like the international version of X did with its basic and advanced sphere grids. I like the sound of restrictive play from a balance point of view, but also there's no reason why you can't just do that with the open licence board instead.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I can't wait for these to be implemented in Final Fantasy XII: Intentionally Unintelligible International Improved Zodiac Job System Edition

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

That loving Sned posted:

I can't wait for these to be implemented in Final Fantasy XII: Intentionally Unintelligible International Improved Zodiac Job System Edition

It will cost 13 Million to make and will be released in limited edition only to a small back ally bazaar in southern Micronesia.

SquareEnix: We hate money.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Man, I just really want them to just release FFXII International on PC or Xbox. I know you can emulate it and use a patch, but bit torrents make my network explode and I put the actual disc FFXII in a PS2 emulator and it doesn't run at full speed on my pc. Until then, I guess I just have to settle for the original.

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I have moooore respect for
Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

Berk Berkly posted:

I also keep finding it an amusing bit of video-gamism that you can steal the pelt right off of a living animal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBrHWgg522U

:v:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Interesting, apparently Final Fantasy III (the DS remake) made its way to the Android market. Granted, it's a little pricy - $15.99. Seems wasteful to buy it again when my DS and the DS version I bought are still working fine.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

My favorite part of that video is Sazh quietly freaking out in the background.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
So here's a thing: http://www.retrogamenetwork.com/2012/06/28/final-fantasy-dimensions-will-bring-the-16-bit-era-of-rpgs-to-ios-and-android/

Final Fantasy Dimensions for iOS/Android, which looks to be like 4 Heroes of Light (being a new adventure with an old school style), only more FFV-centric. Apparently it's been out in Japan for a couple of years, was it well received?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
I don't know. But we did have a laugh at some of the character designs in the last thread. And a few pages ago, someone did a copy of a screenshot in RPGmaker, and it matched the screenshot almost perfectly.

It'll be nice at least, having a return to the job system.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jun 28, 2012

nene.
Aug 27, 2009

power
Finished my run officially last night on stream, but haven't gotten around to making this post till now. After a few trial runs, and with some amazing advice from some of yall in the chat, Exdeath was TOAST before the might of Zeninage... yup good ole Gil Toss. Toss in two free kills courtesy of Break spellblade and magic lamped Odin and you were served some top shelf ownage. Healing is for chumps.

Thanks for everyone who joined me while I streamed, it was a very fun playthrough, and while I feel really lucky to get the party I got (a pretty nice introduction to the Fiesta challenge), I think I will go ahead and try #reghard and #BerserkerRisk next time. Which will be like, next year, whenever the next Fiesta happens. Somma yall crazy.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You can run again on hard mode this year too, if you wanna. :)

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Hahaha Ranger, Mystic Knight, Knight, and Samurai. The only way that party could be better if instead of a Samurai you got a Chemist.

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

and... DONE! Finished my 2nd Fiesta run.

(White Mage/Thief/Monk/Dancer)

This team was surprisingly bad compared to my previous team of Knight/Ninja/Berserker/Berserker. It took a really long time for this team to finally come into it's own.

Getting White Mage first was very slow progress until the Water crystal.
Getting Thief second was even slower, and the damage they dish out is marginal.
Getting Monk third, helped a little, but not as much as I would have liked.
Then Dancer coming in fourth, actually lowered my killing speed for a long while because I had to sacrifice a Monk for it.

Atleast my previous team had tons of killing power. The bright side was that thanks to !White, I was able to endure my way through most encounters, not matter how subpar my damage output was.

Only after I got a fully charged Chicken Knife and a Rainbow Dress did my Dancer suddenly become a powerhouse of 9999 Sword dances every odd turn or so. Because of this, beating Neo Exdeath basically involved liberal use of Blink/Shell/Protect/Curaga on everyone, and the power of DANCE!!! :woop:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

And liquifying people with Holy, I imagine. :v:

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

Kyrosiris posted:

And liquifying people with Holy, I imagine. :v:

I didn't have Holy since I couldn't figure out a way to beat Omniscient with this team :blush:

I tried casting Berserk on him so that I could hit him with Melee, but he ended up physically hitting both my characters for more than their max HP, even with protect on. Silence didn't last long at all, and relying on damaging him through Reflect wasn't working and/or was too time consuming.

Any ideas?

EDIT:
vvvvv... Ohhhh, I didn't even think about draining his MP. Nice idea. It's amazing that this game from 1992 actually allows these kinds of strategies.

EDIT EDIT:
vvvvv... GOD! I didn't even think of using Blink to deal with Berserked Omniscient :cripes:

Happy Blue Cow fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jun 29, 2012

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Well the only real way is draining his MP if you don't have the magical offense to off him. Honestly, I'd say it's worth the 5-6 hours (realtime) to drain his MP and then kill him - Holy is the strongest offensive spell in the game if you have a source of Holy power increase (i.e. the Sage's Staff, etc).

Edit: That said, you got Neo-Exdeath without it, so maybe you didn't need it to begin with! :D And with !White access, you can kill Shinryu without the Wonder Wand, obviating the need to visit Fork Tower at all, really.

DapperDuck
Apr 3, 2008

Fashionable people,
you're out of luck.
The most dapper one here,
is Dapper the Duck.

Happy Blue Cow posted:

I didn't have Holy since I couldn't figure out a way to beat Omniscient with this team :blush:

I tried casting Berserk on him so that I could hit him with Melee, but he ended up physically hitting both my characters for more than their max HP, even with protect on. Silence didn't last long at all, and relying on damaging him through Reflect wasn't working and/or was too time consuming.

Any ideas?

EDIT:
vvvvv... Ohhhh, I didn't even think about draining his MP. Nice idea. It's amazing that this game from 1992 actually allows these kinds of strategies.

Berserk and many casts of Blink will do him in.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Well, NeoExdeath down, too bad I didn't think to see how crappy my cameraphone was beforehand. I'll see if I can get better shots of the character splashscreens once the ending... ends.

(that's a Dragoon, Beastmaster, Time Mage, and Black Mage top to bottom)

EDIT: nope. Tried bumping up the contrast but it ain't much better. At least on those screens you can tell what class people are, even if you can't read the details.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Jun 29, 2012

PirateNipple
Apr 5, 2004

Finished my first playthrough of this game while doing this challenge. I really enjoyed the game and will probably play through it again (either with another fiesta challenge run or just normally, being able to use every job). Getting chemist really saved me at the end, I'm not sure how I would have handled most of world 3 and Neo Exdeath without double HP, level buffs, and mixing full heal potions (the Magic Lamp helped too!)

I never would have finished without the help of the people in the IRC channel and the google doc.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

So Chemist: They have a lot of powerful mixes which can come in handy for drawn-out battles, this is true. However, what do people do with them for the rest of the game? With any luck, most random battles can be finished in two or three turns, and it's hard to justify spending even one turn and the necessary items for a protective buff on one character that might not get hit by what you're protecting against. Even many boss battles can be finished in a few turns, and it would take multiple turns to buff your whole team with even one Mix, unless you put Mix on everyone and severely limit your options.

So how do people use their chemists when they're not powering up for Neo-Exdeath?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Healing Staff babysitter, personally.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

They have some offensive mixes as well that I can't remember off the top of my head.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Yeah, but those burn Turtle Shells or Dragon Fangs. :(

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Kyrosiris posted:

Healing Staff babysitter, personally.

Yeah, this is what I'm doing. Chemist is touted as a game-breaker, but in execution it seems entirely too situational. Like, it would be powerful if you were soloing everything and were willing to have every fight take a long time, but when you're dealing with a whole team it rarely seems worth using. Random battles are over too quickly and most bosses don't give you a ton of turns to buff up. Enemy level manipulation isn't useful without a Blue Mage. So far (about to head to Moore forest in world 2) I've used mine to apply Float once or twice, hold the healing staff, and buff my Ninja +20 levels (and then he proceeded to miss for the rest of the battle, making it pointless).

It'll be great for NeoExdeath, but so is a Bard, and Bards can also slaughter undead. Ah well, I guess as enemies get tougher their healing mixes will get more useful.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Is there a way to get Slash-All in FF5? Would it work with the Healing Staff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Is there a way to get Slash-All in FF5? Would it work with the Healing Staff?

In the SNES and PSX version, no; the closest thing is Rapidfire/Barrage/X-Fight which swings four times at random enemy targets.

One of the classes in the GBA version (Gladiator) basically got Slash-All, but I have no idea if you can target your own party with it... and anyway the only time that'd really be useful is a fiesta including GBA classes where you got it and a staff-user who wasn't a White Mage. Because seriously that's a lot of hoops to jump through for what amounts to a 3rd level spell.