Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DracoArgentum
May 29, 2011
I have a question about making phone calls in Europe. I will in Europe a total of 20 days over 4 countries. I'm staying with various people and thus a way to contact them would be good. If Europe is anything like that states pay phones are a rare commodity now, but is it worth it to get a cell phone/sim card?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

DracoArgentum posted:

I have a question about making phone calls in Europe. I will in Europe a total of 20 days over 4 countries. I'm staying with various people and thus a way to contact them would be good. If Europe is anything like that states pay phones are a rare commodity now, but is it worth it to get a cell phone/sim card?

Probably yes, unless you want to deal with the hassle of finding WiFi and using Skype and not being able to receive calls.

Get a WorldSim, or just get any sim from a store and know that it'll be int'l roaming in 3 of the 4 countries you go to.

DracoArgentum
May 29, 2011
I've looked at Worldsim, it seems like a good deal but my credit card company charges a pretty good amount for converting currency and all the prices are in pounds. Are there other options of equal (or lesser) value I could get?

I don't need anything that gets good data rates. I have a smartphone but its locked for my provider so I'll just be using it at wifi. My only unlocked phone is a little Nokia 1616 so I'm not going to be doing anything even remotely fascinating with it.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Which countries are you visiting? There are a few providers in Europe focused on cheap international calls (prepaid).

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

DracoArgentum posted:

I recently did two countries over two weeks. I bought a feature phone off Amazon (not a smart phone, but had a very basic browser that allowed me to check email, Facebook, look up addresses, and use Google Translate) and just bought a cheap SIM in each country. The total cost was about $80 for the phone, which I recouped most of by selling it on craigslist afterwords, and 20 Euro in each country for the SIM card plus a month of service. It was more than I wanted to spend but since that phone was my only internet access I think it was worth every penny.

Edit: This is the phone I used. Not great, but it got the job done

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jun 28, 2012

geera
May 20, 2003

Mikey Purp posted:

I'll be headed to Paris in early September and was wondering if anyone knew of any good places to visit for European (especially French) craft beer?
Not that I went looking for it, but there didn't seem to be much of a craft beer scene when I was in Paris last year. I drank a lot of Kronenbourg 1664 and Leffe Blond.

edit: Wikipedia mentions Pub St Germain in the Latin Quarter of Paris.

geera fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jun 28, 2012

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

geera posted:

Not that I went looking for it, but there didn't seem to be much of a craft beer scene when I was in Paris last year. I drank a lot of Kronenbourg 1664 and Leffe Blond.

edit: Wikipedia mentions Pub St Germain in the Latin Quarter of Paris.

Also Leffe is a Belgian beer.

(1664 is a pretty mediocre lager, and historically not even French anyway.)

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

DracoArgentum posted:

I have a smartphone but its locked for my provider so I'll just be using it at wifi.

You should be able to call them up, tell them you're traveling internationally, and they'll unlock it. Or at least that has worked for me, and for two other people I travel with.

At that point, just buy a pre-paid sim and use that for voice/data.

DracoArgentum
May 29, 2011

Jeoh posted:

Which countries are you visiting? There are a few providers in Europe focused on cheap international calls (prepaid).

France (6 days), Germany (9 days), Austria (3 days) and Belgium (2 days).

DracoArgentum
May 29, 2011

SeaTard posted:

You should be able to call them up, tell them you're traveling internationally, and they'll unlock it. Or at least that has worked for me, and for two other people I travel with.

At that point, just buy a pre-paid sim and use that for voice/data.

I'm not entirely sure I can... I live in Japan and I don't think my Japanese is quite up to the task. Also the chances of them unlocking it are minimal if they don't have a section in their help manual just for it. I can't even get cashiers to break a bill for me unless I buy something. They like their rules here.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

Mikey Purp posted:

Yes, I am going to Belgium on this trip, however that doesn't really answer my original question. I am specifically interested in trying French craft beer. Surely there's at least one craft beer bar in all of Paris.

After living in Paris for 10 months I've discovered that you should never assume anything about Paris because you will be wrong. But check out this link:

http://beeradvocate.com/beerfly/city/50

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
Is there any chance I would be able to catch a train from Krakow to Rome? And make it from start to finish without an overnight on a train?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Do you realize how large the distance between those cities is? No way there's a direct line. Try going via Munich.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Even if you found a route I'm pretty sure it would be at least 20 hours (I know Paris to Rome is 16, but there's no TGV), meaning that yeah, you'd be on an overnight.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
Okay thanks you confirmed my suspicions. I suppose my question now is whether or not there is anything within non-overnight distance via train that is worth visiting. Warsaw comes to mind but I was wondering if there might be anything else.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

You could also try something like Ryanair, but they do have a laundry list of caveats.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Insane Totoro posted:

Okay thanks you confirmed my suspicions. I suppose my question now is whether or not there is anything within non-overnight distance via train that is worth visiting. Warsaw comes to mind but I was wondering if there might be anything else.

There are literally dozens of interesting cities between Rome and Krakow. Some major cites, which would probably all be stops on the route, would be Florence, Bologna, Verona or Padua/Venice, and (route dependent), Munich, Regensburg, Vienna, Graz, Brno, Prague.

DracoArgentum
May 29, 2011
I've been checking out European sim cards and it looks like LeFrenchMobile isn't horrible, anyone have any experience for or against them?

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys

Insane Totoro posted:

Berlin, Prague, Budapest and Vienna should all be feasible. Bratislava is also a possibility, but it's pretty boring.

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?

The Erland posted:

Berlin, Prague, Budapest and Vienna should all be feasible. Bratislava is also a possibility, but it's pretty boring.

Seconding this. I'm in Krakow atm and went to all those places in the past few weeks. Budapest can be reached by Orangeways bus in 7 hours for like 10-15 euros, you can do an overnight train to Prague (my ticket was about 400 zloty but I also upgraded to a 2-bed cabin, you could do it a lot cheaper but with significant sacrifices in comfort).

Warsaw is only a few hours away and should be getting cheap again now that Euro2012 just finished up. It's good for a few days. I found a lot of the touristy stuff (old town, castle, etc. the Palace of Culture and Science was closed when I was there :() to be just okay. I would highly suggest taking this tour: http://www.adventurewarsaw.com/tours,off-the-beaten-path-trip.html , it was easily the best tour I had my entire trip. The Warsaw uprising museum was supposed to be good too, though I didn't make it there myself.

Personally I found Vienna to be boring as hell as a tourist, but I think it would be a nice place to live. Kind of expensive, too.

E: So here's a question. In my ignorance, I thought it would be a great idea to have my flight leave from Zurich. Looking at the prices for a room for the night is making me gag. My flight departs at 7AM, would be it crazy (or even allowed) to just get to the airport pretty late and hang out there all night, saving me the cost of a room?

Laminator fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jul 1, 2012

PlantHead
Jan 2, 2004
You can sleep at Zurich airport overnight...there are no sleep rooms though and I think pretty much all the shops close, so you will have to make do with the floor or the public seats.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Laminator posted:

E: So here's a question. In my ignorance, I thought it would be a great idea to have my flight leave from Zurich. Looking at the prices for a room for the night is making me gag. My flight departs at 7AM, would be it crazy (or even allowed) to just get to the airport pretty late and hang out there all night, saving me the cost of a room?

http://www.sleepinginairports.net/europe/zurich.htm

is probably worth reading, but short answer is "yes." Depending on what time of year it is, you could also go to Zurich and sleep in a park or something, it's like a 15 minute train ride from the airport.

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

Saladman posted:

is probably worth reading, but short answer is "yes." Depending on what time of year it is, you could also go to Zurich and sleep in a park or something, it's like a 15 minute train ride from the airport.

Haha I actually found that website this morning, I'm definitely going to give it a go. gently caress paying for Zurich accomodation prices.

Anyway, I booked a B&B since it was the only thing available in Bergamo, the town my Ryanair flight landed in. I call the guy who runs the B&B at his request, and he tells me to wait at the train station and that a car will pick me up. Car comes, I get in, and we drive past the B&B. "That is room you payed for," says the old Italian lady driving, "tonight you stay in my house instead."

Traveling is awesome.

PlantHead
Jan 2, 2004

Saladman posted:

The Zurich Police will take a very dim view of you if you try to sleep in a public place.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

I'm going on a trip to Europe from Israel for an undetermined amount of time so I haven't bought a return ticket. How much trouble is this likely to cause me at boarder patrol? Is there a chance I'll get denied entry?

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

Miftan posted:

I'm going on a trip to Europe from Israel for an undetermined amount of time so I haven't bought a return ticket. How much trouble is this likely to cause me at boarder patrol? Is there a chance I'll get denied entry?

No, most likely not, just say you have a plan to leave within 3 months if asked. The airport routine is generally just asking your final destination and purpose of travel, not anything else unless you look strange/really suspicious.

Israeli security/border stuff was a nightmare, I've never been asked so many intrusive questions in my life. "Do you know any arabs?, do you speak arabic?, why did you come here?, why are you going to jordan?, do you have any issues with the state of israel?" The whole thing was pretty intense, and I'm a nice white guy from Canada. By comparison you'll most likely think there is no security at all in european airports.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Landsknecht posted:

No, most likely not, just say you have a plan to leave within 3 months if asked. The airport routine is generally just asking your final destination and purpose of travel, not anything else unless you look strange/really suspicious.

Israeli security/border stuff was a nightmare, I've never been asked so many intrusive questions in my life. "Do you know any arabs?, do you speak arabic?, why did you come here?, why are you going to jordan?, do you have any issues with the state of israel?" The whole thing was pretty intense, and I'm a nice white guy from Canada. By comparison you'll most likely think there is no security at all in european airports.

Yeah our security system is a bit.. Overzealous? Either way, I'm kind of worried that they won't let me in because I'm from Israel and have no proof that i'll be leaving within 3 months. I guess I'm just worried for nothing.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
How likely is it that a friend and I will be able to walk into a major European city in mid August and have no trouble finding a decent hostel to stay at? We're trying to figure out if we really need to commit to our accommodations far in advance - ideally we can not and thus have more flexibility in our travel.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

Jenkl posted:

How likely is it that a friend and I will be able to walk into a major European city in mid August and have no trouble finding a decent hostel to stay at? We're trying to figure out if we really need to commit to our accommodations far in advance - ideally we can not and thus have more flexibility in our travel.

Depends on the city, and what your standards are. It will be pretty easy to find a clean/safe place to stay in Scandinavia, Germany or Switzerland, but it will be a lot harder in Portugal, Italy or Spain. Unless you're going for over a month just book ahead of time and save the headache.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Jenkl posted:

Even calling the day before already makes a big difference compared to showing up at 6PM with "so, got any rooms left?".

Other option is to bring a tent. Many places have camp sites outside the cities. There is often some free space left in some remote corner.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
I'm talking Paris and Amsterdam mainly. I imagine those are quite busy and we basically would need to book ahead.

So it sounds like its worth booking ahead and maybe losing 50 bucks if we change our plans, as opposed to winging it and losing 6 hours to trying to find a place to stay?

Also, for a Eurail pass, am I getting this right: I order online. They mail it to me. Now I have a cool train ticket? I ask because the site says "You need to activate your Eurail pass within 6 months of the issuing date" and I cant seem to find anymore info on that.

Thanks for all the advice guys!

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

If you want to stay in a hostel in Amsterdam, look at the neighbouring cities. Haarlem, Leiden, Utrecht, all pretty close to Amsterdam (Leiden and Utrecht will have trains going there at night as well) and there's a lot less people staying there.

(and Utrecht is a much nicer city anyway, definitely check it out)

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Sitting at Hartsfield International waiting for my flight to Frankfurt for the next 90 days or three years or however long I end up staying.

Wish me luck, Goons!

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

Jenkl posted:

I'm talking Paris and Amsterdam mainly. I imagine those are quite busy and we basically would need to book ahead.

I'm not sure about hostels, but if you want a good price on a hotel room you better book months, if not half a year in advance. I got a very highly rated Paris hotel for 50% off because I booked early and paid everything up front. Again, I'm not sure about hostels, but you cannot simply count on getting a decent hotel room in the summer in Paris. Unless you are a millionaire.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard
Same goes for Amsterdam

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

Jenkl posted:

Also, for a Eurail pass, am I getting this right: I order online. They mail it to me. Now I have a cool train ticket? I ask because the site says "You need to activate your Eurail pass within 6 months of the issuing date" and I cant seem to find anymore info on that.

Thanks for all the advice guys!

I may be wrong because I didn't get one, but with the Eurail pass you have to mark down the days you're traveling with a pen on the pass, so that may be what it's referring to.

You may want to check out sites like seat61.com and go on the countries' rail sites and see if a Eurail pass is actually cost effective for you. If you're just doing the Netherlands and France than it may be good, but if you're doing more countries over a longer period then getting individual tickets may be a better deal. Generally, though, I believe that Eurail passes are not nearly as good a deal as the EU Interrail passes.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

What would be the best way to go Belgium > England? I'll be in Ghent in Belgium and I need to make it to London. Is RyanAir/Easyjet my best bet?

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard
If you can book some time in advance the Eurostar train is probably your best bet. It saves you the trouble of travelling to and from airports, which is especially expensive in England.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

Akion posted:

Sitting at Hartsfield International waiting for my flight to Frankfurt for the next 90 days or three years or however long I end up staying.

Wish me luck, Goons!

I'm going on vacation to Madrid for the next two weeks, but if you want to meet up for a beer from the 23rd of July onward, PM me (you're still going to be in Cologne, right?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nozz
Jan 27, 2007

proficient pringle eater
This quickest way from Belgium to England will probably be the Eurostar when considering the lengthy check-in and travel time between the airports and the city. Eurostar can be quite expensive though

You can also look into coaches between Belgium and England, Eurolines operate from Ghent, though there is also Megabus from Brussels. This will take 6 hours+ but will probably be the cheapest way overall.

Edit: With Eurostar you can buy a ticket "from any Belgium station" for an additional £6 to the Eurostar ticket, which will cover the trip from Ghent to Brussels if completed in the 24 hours preceding your Eurostar journey.

Edit 2: If you want to fly, it may be worth checking out flights into London City Airport from Antwerp rather than heading into Heathrow from Brussels. City is much closer to central London, and is directly connected to it's metro system via the DLR.

Unfortunately Ryanair/EasyJet don't really operate this sort of journey, their main customers are business people.

nozz fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jul 9, 2012