Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

My guess is it's perfectly normal and the more you skate the less your back will hurt. You're probably tensing up a lot because skating is so unfamiliar to you and you're thinking really hard when doing it, so it's not much of a surprise when it's done and over with parts of your body are stiff/sore/whatever.

Best suggestion--stretch a lot before and after you skate and keep at it! It'll only come easy to you if you keep trying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Just do your damndest to get someone who knows what the gently caress they're doing to teach you how to do them before you pile on the plates.

You can seriously gently caress up your back if you do a deadlift wrong and while internet tutorials can certainly show you what proper technique is, they can't show you what you're doing wrong. You want someone standing nearby who can instantly spot problems.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

xzzy posted:

Just do your damndest to get someone who knows what the gently caress they're doing to teach you how to do them before you pile on the plates.

You can seriously gently caress up your back if you do a deadlift wrong and while internet tutorials can certainly show you what proper technique is, they can't show you what you're doing wrong. You want someone standing nearby who can instantly spot problems.
Speaking from personal experience, this. When I was doing deadlifts, I knew how to do a proper deadlift and for just a moment slipped up with some heavy weight (for me) and instantly had a back spasm. So make sure you know how to do them right before anything.

And really, while weight training is always a good thing (so long as you know what you're doing), I think more than anything you just need to get used to skating, JetsGuy.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, I'm not a fan of deadlifts at all. It seems like there's too much that can go wrong. I get that it's an effective exercise and zillions of people do them without issue, but there are a dozen other ways to work my back without having to worry if a lapse is going to cause me permanent problems.

My favorite lately is dumbbell swings, and they completely destroy my back. Well, they destroy my whole body if I do enough of them but the topic here is back exercises. :v:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I better not skate because I may take a skate blade to the throat.
:frogout:

Deadlifts own you big babies.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I better not skate because I may take a skate blade to the throat.
:frogout:
False. Neckguard. Your move.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, I suppose.

I'm super paranoid about back problems because they seem like the sort of thing where once they start up, they never go away and gently caress up your life for years.

A skate to the neck probably won't delegate you to a chair for the rest of your days.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

coldwind posted:

False. Neckguard. Your move.

Seen a neckguard not doing poo poo. Right by our bench. got sliced. blood everywhere. I was maybe a Peewee..it was terrifying.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Do barbell deadlifts. Other than that, your body will naturally get used to the skating motion after a while.

If your shins are all scraped after doing a rep or two of these: congratulations, you may be doing it correctly!

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Awesome Animals posted:

Seen a neckguard not doing poo poo. Right by our bench. got sliced. blood everywhere. I was maybe a Peewee..it was terrifying.

Get a real neck guard.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Looks like some sort of BDSM product.

I'm gagging just thinking about wearing that playing hockey.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

D C posted:

That gagging feeling is a lot like what you'll feel when a puck crushes your trachea. Just not as painful!

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

xzzy posted:

Yeah, I'm not a fan of deadlifts at all. It seems like there's too much that can go wrong. I get that it's an effective exercise and zillions of people do them without issue, but there are a dozen other ways to work my back without having to worry if a lapse is going to cause me permanent problems.

My favorite lately is dumbbell swings, and they completely destroy my back. Well, they destroy my whole body if I do enough of them but the topic here is back exercises. :v:

Unless you have a medical condition and a doctor has told you not to deadlift, you really should do them. Learn from a buddy or someone at the gym and do them. All the best lifts for hockey are all very technical, squats, power cleans and deadlifts. Compound lifts teach coordination which is exactly how strength is applied in a game.

Start low and work your way up slowly. Do them once or twice a week and add 5lbs each time. If you start low enough, you'll get plenty of time and experience to learn to do the lift correctly.

I don't think it's a coincidence that I stopped getting pain in my lower back after I did the best exercise at strengthen my lower back. Plus, deadlifts are probably the most satisfying lift you can do at the gym.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Oh god. I, like most players, quit wearing one when I was 14 anyways.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I wore one when I was playing outside because it was just too cold :3

Lifting is awesome, you should do it, but you should learn how to do it safely.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

xzzy posted:

I'm super paranoid about back problems because they seem like the sort of thing where once they start up, they never go away and gently caress up your life for years.

A skate to the neck probably won't delegate you to a chair for the rest of your days.
Yeah, I'm with you on those back problems. It seems like the solution for people with chronic back problems is: Did you go to PT? Oh, still some pain, huh? Hmm. Oh well.

On the other hand, skate to the neck can neck can kill you.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

loving bro hug posted:

I'm jealous of the "hockey shop/store" choices some of you have. So far the only thing I've found here in the Charlotte, NC area is the pro-shop at the rink I go to (which isn't bad, just not a big selection) and Play It Again Sports (Not much adult gear). Haven't really looked that hard though... anyone in NC have any feedback regarding Fivehole Sports http://www.fiveholesports.com/ ?

Hell yes. I'm up in Raleigh and I go to the Five Hole shop up here. They helped me get fitted right for all my gear when I first started playing and they answered all my questions and didn't laugh at the stupid ones. I believe they'll also match online prices for new merch, but don't hold me to that.

Definitely check them out.

Also, welcome to the thread, fellow NC hockey goon -- so far I've been the only one.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

D C posted:

Looks like some sort of BDSM product.

There was a thread on another forum about a goalie who took a puck to the throat that crushed his trachea and after seeing that, I got over my hangups about wearing something on my neck and ordered a Maltese combo. I honestly don't even notice it anymore and wearing some extra neck protection is a lot better than worrying about taking a skate or a blunt impact to the troat.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Just saw a guy playing roller on Monday take an inadvertant stick to the adams apple during a game. He was bent forward lunging for the puck and someone was coming behind him. A third guy lifted the stick of the second guy, clipping the first guy right in the throat.

Helmet came straight off, he rolled around panicking for a bit because the wind was knocked out of him but as he started to breathe again, he relaxed and took a seat on the bench.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I think if I wore a cage, neck guard, shoulder pads, slash guards, foot guards, calf wraps, ballistic eye protection, etc, I'd probably get hurt more often than I do now just because I would feel like nothing could ever hurt me, ever.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

bewbies posted:

I think if I wore a cage, neck guard, shoulder pads, slash guards, foot guards, calf wraps, ballistic eye protection, etc, I'd probably get hurt more often than I do now just because I would feel like nothing could ever hurt me, ever.

Not to mention the heat stroke you'd inflict on yourself from burying yourself under all that gear prior to sprinting up and down a 200 foot sheet of ice.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Bought skates then got stuck in traffic and missed open ice for today :unsmith:

I can sign up for a class that starts tomorrow but I was hoping to familiarize myself with these a bit first. Maybe I'll wait for next week's class and do a few open ice sessions before then.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Back in the fall, I bought skates. Then we had a non-winter so I never got in the mood to go out and skate much. I went exactly once. But now its really hot and the idea of being near ice appeals to me.

Obviously they need broken in, but they were murder on my feet. They feel fine on and when I tried skates on and so on. I plan on getting some in-soles. But what I'm curious about...I'm assuming part of the reason they hurt my arches is that my ankles and feet and such are, uh, weak from being a lazy slob for the better part of 15 years. Is there anything I can do exercise-wise to mitigate the part where my feet are killing me after a few minutes while breaking my skates in?

Of course, it also crossed my mind that maybe I made a bad decision in my selection of skates, but they did feel good when I tried them on!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Look up some foot stretches, they can help a little.

You can't really know if they fit properly or not until you've got a couple hours in them.

loving bro hug
Mar 7, 2006

I Love The Colorado Avalanche More Than I Love Landeskog's Balls In My Mouth
AND I LOVE LANDESKOG'S BALLS IN MY MOUTH A WHOLE LOT
PS Sakic > Yzerman

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Hell yes. I'm up in Raleigh and I go to the Five Hole shop up here. They helped me get fitted right for all my gear when I first started playing and they answered all my questions and didn't laugh at the stupid ones. I believe they'll also match online prices for new merch, but don't hold me to that.

Definitely check them out.

Also, welcome to the thread, fellow NC hockey goon -- so far I've been the only one.

Awesome, thanks for the insight! I'll pay them a visit in the next few weeks. :cool::hf::cool:

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010

Sash! posted:

Back in the fall, I bought skates. Then we had a non-winter so I never got in the mood to go out and skate much. I went exactly once. But now its really hot and the idea of being near ice appeals to me.

Obviously they need broken in, but they were murder on my feet. They feel fine on and when I tried skates on and so on. I plan on getting some in-soles. But what I'm curious about...I'm assuming part of the reason they hurt my arches is that my ankles and feet and such are, uh, weak from being a lazy slob for the better part of 15 years. Is there anything I can do exercise-wise to mitigate the part where my feet are killing me after a few minutes while breaking my skates in?

Of course, it also crossed my mind that maybe I made a bad decision in my selection of skates, but they did feel good when I tried them on!

They're always super comfortable until you start skating in them. Your first few hours in them will be hell on your arches. I find I get arch pain any time I take a break of even two weeks off the ice. Give them a few more sessions to see how your feet adapt to them. You'll be surprised at how after a few weeks (if you're skating at least once a week) your feet feel a hell of a lot better.

Jackdonkey
May 31, 2007
I tried on Bauer, Reebok, Graf and CCM. Bauers were pinchy, Reebok and Graf felt ok but sloppy. CCM's fit great, just perfect. Kept going down in sizes until I ended up at 6.5, I thought I was going to get 8's. Anyway had a 6v6 game for 90 minutes on my third time in the skates and not a single sign of a blister. I guess what I'm saying is don't be afraid to go small and if they don't feel great right away try something else. Took me 40 minutes of open skate, one game with lots of lines, and that 6v6 for 90 minutes to get used to the new skates

Also back pain ouch, my back hurts biking but gets used to it by the end of the season so I've been trying to bike more. Also bend straight down instead of off to the side, it helps with back pain while doing stickhandling stuff.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Sash! posted:

Obviously they need broken in, but they were murder on my feet. They feel fine on and when I tried skates on and so on. I plan on getting some in-soles. But what I'm curious about...I'm assuming part of the reason they hurt my arches is that my ankles and feet and such are, uh, weak from being a lazy slob for the better part of 15 years.

Yea, pretty much for me the muscles in the bottom of my foot weren't used to working so much, and in such a different way to balance itself on an edge. It probably doesn't help that I over pronate.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Hockeymonkey.com offering 15% off selected items and i think the checkout code is gearup15

sorry for the double post, thought you all should know :)

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

sellouts posted:

Lifting is awesome, you should do it, but you should learn how to do it safely.

These dudes are right. Once you learn proper form for doing squats and deadlifts, you will really not injure yourself. In fact, you'll improve your core strength and balance which will help with back problems. Why do you think all high level athletes lift weights as well?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Topoisomerase posted:

Why do you think all high level athletes lift weights as well?

So they can impress chicks at the beach and kick sand on nerds?

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Got back on the ice today for session 2.

The first time, I lasted 15 minutes before my feet couldn't take it any more. Today, I made it 40 minutes. Improvement! :)

The drop in ice time had 3 skaters

30 year old man (me)
16 year old girl
10 year old girl

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001
Pretty busy week-
Monday: 8PM game
Tuesday 9PM skills clinic
Wednesday 9:20 game
Thursday 9:30 3 0n 3 pickup

the highlight reel includes scoring with a tip-in off my cup, seeing the skills coach make a player do pushups for missing the net and walking around like a zombie at work.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

I got my first skates on wednesday, Bauer Vapor X4s, and finally got to give them a try today. I think this was only my third time on the ice period but it was still a huge difference. It was almost terrifying how fast I could get moving compared to rental skates.

For the most part I just spent the day getting used to the edge on these things. I did a bit of one-footed skating to work on balance, and started to get in to crossovers while turning for speed, but mostly just took it easy to get more comfortable on the ice. On Thursday I'll have my first class so hopefully there will be someone to push me in the right direction because I've got unlimited public sessions for the month to practice on my own aside from that. I'm all ears if any of you have tips for what a good progression of skill learning should be.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Stops, c-cuts, transitions. Get started on those and you'll have a great foundation for everything else.

Swizzles too.. though they don't seem like much of a "skill" because it's probably the most basic skating technique out there, paying attention to technique will help your non-crossover strides.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

xzzy posted:

Stops, c-cuts, transitions. Get started on those and you'll have a great foundation for everything else.

Swizzles too.. though they don't seem like much of a "skill" because it's probably the most basic skating technique out there, paying attention to technique will help your non-crossover strides.

Are c-cuts just big swizzles? I've been trying to figure out the difference watching this video and can't seem to tell.

Also work on backwards. It sucks at first, but once you get used to it it's not so bad.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

AboveAndBeyond posted:

Are c-cuts just big swizzles? I've been trying to figure out the difference watching this video and can't seem to tell.

Mostly yeah, but swizzles are more of a glide and a c-cut has more of a "flick" to it.. which is where that grindy ice noise comes from. You can see how he's producing snow in that video, which swizzles won't do.

I guess you could call it the power skating version of a swizzle because it generates a lot more speed. It also lets you get your foot back under center faster so the other foot can push.

Backwards c-cuts make a little more sense because it's just about the only way to get any decent speed going backwards (without doing crossovers anyway).

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

Topoisomerase posted:

These dudes are right. Once you learn proper form for doing squats and deadlifts, you will really not injure yourself. In fact, you'll improve your core strength and balance which will help with back problems. Why do you think all high level athletes lift weights as well?

You might want to start with plate loaded leg presses if you (like me) have a bad back, or (like me) hasn't done much training earlier, instead of squats. At least I was told so by my PT.
I just started deadlifts at the same time and the first day felt like my hamstrings had been cut open and raped. But yhea, when the PT went through my form, I was kinda amazed in how many ways you could do deadlifts wrong, so I guess having an actuall trainer, or someone who knows them well, to show you how to do it the first time is propably a very good idea.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Topoisomerase posted:

Once you learn proper form for doing squats and deadlifts,

Exrx.net is a pretty good site for learning proper form for a huge variety of exercises.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Welp. All done with hockey for the next month and a half or so. We lost the Mid-C tournament to the #1 ranked team, who were clearly ready for uppper-C/low-B. (Holy ridiculous forecheck, Batman!) Along the way, one of our forwards broke his ankle. He went to battle along the boards and a guy who was probably 3" taller put him on his rear end and then fell on him. Our man had his right leg pinned under him and...well...that didn't end well.

Thankfully that gives me six weeks to ride/rehab the knee.