Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Kommando posted:

How do I model jetflame?

Lucite plus an LED is what I would do. Failing that, greenstuff painted like a propane flame. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Sole.Sushi posted:

Lucite plus an LED is what I would do. Failing that, greenstuff painted like a propane flame. :v:

I sell DFA and DFA accessories, I tell you what.

SatelliteCore
Oct 16, 2008

needa get dat cake up

Buffalo squeeze posted:

I've seen people simple green dunk tanks off of ebay with layers upon layers of paint on them with good results.

Let it be known; simple green apc concentrate takes weeks to strip a finished mini. This is using a standard toothbrush.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Kommando posted:

How do I model jetflame?

Rick, one of the Battletech players found a rule ambiguity and tried to use it in a tournament. Going prone while jump jetting.

We put it to the devs and they made an errata.
So I'm modelling a mech jump jetting its belly into the dirt.
I call it Rick Ruled.

Bam. Take your pick.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

SatelliteCore posted:

Let it be known; simple green apc concentrate takes weeks to strip a finished mini. This is using a standard toothbrush.

What? No it doesn't. I've never had a mini take more than a couple days in the green to get off everything short of auto primer.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Silhouette posted:

Bam. Take your pick.

That is exactly what i want. I have a new scenery website.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Anybody got the link to the site that lets you compare paint colors from different ranges? The old one I had seems to be a broken link.

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!

Fix posted:

Anybody got the link to the site that lets you compare paint colors from different ranges? The old one I had seems to be a broken link.

This is the one I use:

http://www.dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

Buffalo squeeze
Dec 19, 2010

Oh noble brogy. Overflowing with meaty wisdom and secret sauce.
Finished up some stray models. When did I buy these orks?

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

Kommando posted:

How do I model jetflame?

Rick, one of the Battletech players found a rule ambiguity and tried to use it in a tournament. Going prone while jump jetting.

We put it to the devs and they made an errata.
So I'm modelling a mech jump jetting its belly into the dirt.
I call it Rick Ruled.

This is beautiful.

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe
So I called a couple of local hobby shops and no one carries Tamiya primer or they're out of stock, so I just bought a can on eBay. Is this what people usually do to get this stuff?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Awesome, thanks.

:siren: PaintVagrant! This is probably a good OP link.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
So, I've been pretty much out of this stuff for about 3 years now. Up until earlier this year I had been working 2 to 3 jobs. My paints are dried up, my brushes are MIA and, I have a metric crapton of orks to finish. It's also wonderful to know that GW changed the names of all of their paints on me.

Since I've been unemployed for almost 2 months now I've been cleaning out my apartment, and getting rid of crap, and I found these again:

Hero Quest models! Before you get on me about their condition, I bought them in a bag at a thrift store in this condition at least 17 years ago now. I'm planning to start back into the modelling by giving these poor bastards a decent workover.

Here's a couple closeups of the craptacular paint job:

As you can see, I'm probably going to have to give them a bath in Simple Green, especially those Chaos Knights, and that mummy. I know some modelling is also going to be on hand as a few of the weapons are downright missing, as well as one poor bastard's feet and base.

Eventually, I think I'm going to invest in a jeweler's saw and put them on some square or round bases just to finish the job, and hope they don't end up like that poor maroon bastard on the right.

I am planning to give the majority of the models a black basecoat, and the purple hero models a white base coat for that extra "pop." I'm not sure what kind of models those maroon ones are though. Any suggestions on what I should do, or explanations on what is what in this rabble of models I know next to nothing about, would be amazing.

EDIT: Forgot to thumbnail.

Iron Crowned fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jun 30, 2012

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

So, I've been pretty much out of this stuff for about 3 years now. (...) My paints are dried up
On the upside, no more lovely screw-cap pots that dry up the moment you look the other way. Also, gently caress GW paints, get Vallejo. Much more convenient and quality is about the same.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Kommando posted:

That is exactly what i want. I have a new scenery website.

The Warstore also carries those armorcast muzzle flashes and such;
http://www.thewarstore.com/armorcast.html

They also have THIS.
http://www.thewarstore.com/product58752.html
I'm tempted to buy one and have some Legion beastie shooting out a lil' shredder :3:

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
Anyone know where I can get some cheap statues to use for miniature terrain? I have the Lord of the Rings ones which came as kind of a sample pack with some other scenery bits, but I wouldn't mind some more to use.

Going to hit up the local Aquarium shop to see if I can find some cheap ruins to buy as well.

Chiken n' Waffles
Mar 11, 2001
I have 6 Space Hulk models I would like to try and hire someone to paint. The group consists of a Librarian, Flamer, Chain fist, Power Sword, and 2 Storm Bolters.

These are all duplicate marines (but authentic!), meaning I've taken a crack at these pieces and while I love painting, and it is a great release, I totally blow at it. I love the hobby! But I suck. I accept that. But I would like my game to look better than red globs.

If you're are interested and have reasonable rates for the six pieces I can be e-mailed at Karnold828 at gmail dot com

I hope this isn't inappropriate here. I read this thread regularly and figured there were probably a few goons who would be interested on a side project. :v:

I am willing to put up half upfront. I can find some SA Mart references if needed I think too.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer

unpurposed posted:

So I called a couple of local hobby shops and no one carries Tamiya primer or they're out of stock, so I just bought a can on eBay. Is this what people usually do to get this stuff?

Try Brookhurst Hobbies in OC if you haven't yet. It's a bit out of the way but they do have a good amount of stuff.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
As some goons were crest fallen about missing out on the Zombicide Kickstarter from Cool Mini or Not, I thought I'd just put out a reminder about the Sedition Wars Kickstarter.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jun 30, 2012

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Plus it's like 4k short of breaking the kickstarter record for games, and I it does that 100 bucks gets you an extra mini as well.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Dominion posted:

Plus it's like 4k short of breaking the kickstarter record for games, and I it does that 100 bucks gets you an extra mini as well.

I think you mean $510.

edit:
Goal met.

$924,282 with 1.5 hours to go.

Good lord.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jun 30, 2012

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

I'm finally getting to my Tzeentch Chariots. I've got the homemade Screamers modeled and painted, the bases done, and the Discs 85% done (need to highlight and pick out extra details like the rats and gears). But I still don't have the Herald models. Price is an object, I'm trying not to spend $20 per figure. Ahriman is a pretty sexy model though, so I might make him one of them. I'm leaning towards getting a box of Flamers for the others. Does anyone have any other suggestions, even from non-GW model lines?

SatelliteCore
Oct 16, 2008

needa get dat cake up

I just backed Sedition Wars at the last minute. I backed for $110 but chose the $80 option so I can get the terrain pack. Was that foolish? How much stuff am I really missing out on from the $100 option? It wasn't totally clear to me in the five minutes I scanned the page. From my understanding it is only a special edition Kara in resin, and a sexy Vanguard patch but from the Biohazard package image it seems like there might be more? Sorry for derailing and being a bit thick, that was a serious impulse buy.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
They'll send you a survey, I would tell them you want the Biohazard set, you get way more stuff and you can just buy the Terrain Pack when it comes out.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

SatelliteCore posted:

I just backed Sedition Wars at the last minute. I backed for $110 but chose the $80 option so I can get the terrain pack. Was that foolish? How much stuff am I really missing out on from the $100 option? It wasn't totally clear to me in the five minutes I scanned the page. From my understanding it is only a special edition Kara in resin, and a sexy Vanguard patch but from the Biohazard package image it seems like there might be more? Sorry for derailing and being a bit thick, that was a serious impulse buy.

Yeah if you don't upgrade to biohazard you miss out on literally like 50 free minis.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out

SatelliteCore posted:

The original Biohazard was set at the 50 miniatures plus all that was required to play the game. As they've hit their goals this has gone up to 98 miniatures, including ones that are really quite big. (I think one of them looks a bit smaller than a dreadnought).

The terrain pack, however, is only $10 cheaper than it will be when it is released commercially.

The amount of models you get in the Biohazard pack is worth alot more than the $10 cheaper you would get the terrain pack. And has a number of Kickstarter release only models in it, whereas the terrain is being released as is in the kickstarter.

When they have finished sorting things out they are going to send a 'survey' out to all backers where you can register what specifically you wanted when you put your money in. Go Biohazard so we can fistbump over the internet over our awesome models :)

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I've wrapped up another squad of Valhallans!

You'll see I added some rocks on the bases, which are just chunks of cork with some drybrushing and washing:

This dude, average as he looks, is apparently somewhat rare. He's not available from the squad box on the GW website, I've never seen him before, and his tab says "GW 1997" as opposed to the GW 1994 that most of these guys have:

I just primed another squad and a heavy bolter squad so we'll see what I get to next!

SirJoeKCB
Dec 24, 2003

Lethemonster posted:

The original Biohazard was set at the 50 miniatures plus all that was required to play the game. As they've hit their goals this has gone up to 98 miniatures, including ones that are really quite big. (I think one of them looks a bit smaller than a dreadnought).

The terrain pack, however, is only $10 cheaper than it will be when it is released commercially.

The amount of models you get in the Biohazard pack is worth alot more than the $10 cheaper you would get the terrain pack. And has a number of Kickstarter release only models in it, whereas the terrain is being released as is in the kickstarter.

When they have finished sorting things out they are going to send a 'survey' out to all backers where you can register what specifically you wanted when you put your money in. Go Biohazard so we can fistbump over the internet over our awesome models :)

I think you're also able to change the level of funding and stuff for a short time after it closes, so you may want to try switching to Biohazard just in case.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

SatelliteCore posted:

Email CMON right now! There's no reason to miss out on the Biohazard level.

FiendishThingy
Sep 7, 2003

Ugh, trying to finish up my June oath model and I can't have a bloody handed Avatar of war without a bloody hand so I drove 160 miles to five different hobby shops looking for Tamiya Clear Red. Everybody was sold out with no clue on restock. One of the shop owners said they'd been having trouble getting Tamiya paints since the tsunami. Currently experimenting will layering clear gloss and transparent red airbrush paint.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.
What colour do you paint a fire-themed Khador jack? Blue of course!

I swear all anyone gets me to do is pop culture reference paintwork.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!
Soooo... I did a thing. A WIP thing.

In case it's not obvious, trying to integrate the operator of a dreadknight suit, with two goals in mind:
1) Don't abandon the concept of an operator in a large powered suit of armor.
2) Do abandon the stupid baby harness.

C&C wanted, please.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.
A noble goal and looking very well executed! I think it gets trickier from here on in though, but an excellent start.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Sole.Sushi posted:

Soooo... I did a thing. A WIP thing.

In case it's not obvious, trying to integrate the operator of a dreadknight suit, with two goals in mind:
1) Don't abandon the concept of an operator in a large powered suit of armor.
2) Do abandon the stupid baby harness.

C&C wanted, please.

That is a terrific start. It already looks better than the stock model. Sorry I can't offer any C&C yet as it all looks really good.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!

Cross posting this guy. I'm not 100% happy with it, it needs transfers to break up the flat spaces but I like how it looks and its the biggest space marine kit I've done.

Not my best work, I'll admit, but I like it.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Granny Weatherwax? Or Nanny Ogg? I think it's Nanny.

FROOOOOOOOG
Jan 28, 2009

Manuel Calavera posted:

Granny Weatherwax? Or Nanny Ogg? I think it's Nanny.

Come on, man, Esme wouldn't be caught dead in those boots, or with that cat.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Email CMON right now! There's no reason to miss out on the Biohazard level.

Yeah, do this. I got home drunk last night, looked at the kickstarter with an hr left, changed from a biohazard set with the terrain pack and the Aliens characters and switched two the 2 biohazard sets. No regrets.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
Hey everyone. I finished up this Warmachine unit, Sam Mchorne and the Devil Dogs, and I'm really happy with how they came out by and large. I will never be a great painter but I do try to look good from a few feet away. I would love any advice I can get as I really think I'm starting to get decent.

I need to be more conservative with my greenstuff. It shows on the arm. The guy on the right did not come with any hands in the packing. I had some chain left over from my Rocinante conversion so I clipped up a pair of Cadian Tank Arms and added some chain in a loop. It was simple but I like the model a lot.

The Freebooter was a place of some neat experiments for me. I used the new GW paints for the blue and I really think I got a good setup going there. I will confess to never really highlighting before. I like what it does for the model but I need to practice a lot more. I would appreciate any tips here. The face also needs work as I really love that grill cover.

The Mercenary Faction is such a great faction. All of the units have this great sense of character.

edit: missed a timg

Crazy Ferret fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jul 1, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FROOOOOOOOG posted:

Come on, man, Esme wouldn't be caught dead in those boots, or with that cat.

I figured that, I'm smart :shepface:. My first thought was "Granny Bacon?" then I remembered that that's not Discworld, that's BlueXephos Minecraft. Which isn't right at all. I was on the right track though, name sounds the same! I just couldn't remember her name at first.

• Locked thread