Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

But but a Lannister always pays his debts! :qq:

*montage of Tyrion dine-n-dashing*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Ezekiel 23:20
I think originally his plan was that Tyrion with all his book learnin would turn out to be the great tactical genius of his age (I mean, he's already come up with such brilliant plans as "light the other guys on fire" and "don't let them get away after you light them on fire") and be the quiet power behind Dany's armies but never get any credit for it. Unfortunately, at some point, he ate so much food that he disappeared up his own rear end in a top hat and there's a gelatinous mass of inside out fat author sitting on his couch making GBS threads and bleeding everywhere and begging for his suffering to end, so that weirdo looking assistant of his used a markov chain generator to finish Feast and Dance. The reason the books took so long is that it takes a markov chain generator a really long time to come up with anything coherent.

The guy they have being Martin now is an impersonator, just some hobo that they pulled off the street and pay in subway footlongs and soda. He really likes football.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
It really is disturbing how obvious ADWD makes it that GRRM doesn't outline at all before he writes. ADWD just didn't tie together that well with Tyrion. He tried to make it a journey of re-invention for him but, because GRRM didn't really plan out what that journey involved, it ends up being a lot of Tyrion moping and not growing much and then jokey-talkying his way out of trouble suddenly.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

I don't understand why he doesn't outline. He must have copious notes on all the houses and history, so why not outline?

He's expanded the plot and cast now to the point where even an outline wouldn't help. I wouldn't be surprised if Dany's crew is supposed to gently caress off on their own for a while, leading to yet another endless profusion of plots.

He made a mistake by setting out to write a story that isn't constrained by tv budgets. It's gotten out of hand. His editor at Bantam must be really hands off, or an idiot.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

It really is disturbing how obvious ADWD makes it that GRRM doesn't outline at all before he writes. ADWD just didn't tie together that well with Tyrion. He tried to make it a journey of re-invention for him but, because GRRM didn't really plan out what that journey involved, it ends up being a lot of Tyrion moping and not growing much and then jokey-talkying his way out of trouble suddenly.

I don't think even GRRM intended crawling into winesinks and hoooowhores as a re-invention. And the forced abstinence part aboard the river barge thingie certainly doesn't suggest growth, at least not the intentional variety.

I think I read assongofassandfiryass as a drinking buddy mostly. :rubshands:

And like most drinking buddies, things started out super loving awesome and then suddenly one day you wake up and realize everything has gone to poo poo. I paid more attention to alcohol consumption and its side-effects on Cersei, Tyrion and Sandor (mostly these three, mostly) and mentally glossed over the prevalence of loving lemon cakes and eel pies.

syscall girl fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jun 29, 2012

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
I'm pretty sure it's because Jaime is worth a hell of a lot more than two women, even if they are Robb's sisters. He's the apple of Tywin Lannister's eye, his most reliable weakness, and people have been exploiting that for decades (Hell, Aerys only failed in that gambit because he'd so clearly lost to Robert).

Also, me being me on a few notes on the summary of medieval myths v. reality:

Ambiguatron posted:

The last remnants of armor on the battlefield disappeared around the time massed infantry tactics showed up
If you're talking full-blown armor, yes, but the Cuirass remained prominent (with the eponymous Cuirassier heavy cavalry units) through the end of the 19th century, expecially during the Napoleonic Wars, where they kicked all sorts of rear end (not so much the French Revolutionary Wars, as Napoleon was the guy who brought them back with a vengeance)

quote:

The bit about the earliest muskets being able to punch through plate armor is a myth- the last plate armor was very well designed, having a number of refinements that made it structurally very strong, as well as metallurgical advancements, but if the other side shoots all your pointy stuck guys, even a large number of knights will be vastly outnumbered.

Even during the Napoleonic Wars they were useful for defending against pistol shots and the like on the way to close combat, where of course they remained really useful.

quote:

Swiss armies were devastating against armored knights, because they bothered to train and properly equip their footmen.

Well, that and because they took no prisoners and would systematically kill every surviving enemy soldier left on the battlefield. Tends to make the untrained portions of the enemy armies break rather quickly, that.

JustFrakkingDoIt posted:

I paid more attention to alcohol consumption and its side-effects on Cersei, Tyrion and Gregor (mostly these three, mostly) and mentally glossed over the prevalence of loving lemon cakes and eel pies.

Presumably you meant Sandor instead of Gregor?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

whowhatwhere posted:

Correct.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

whowhatwhere posted:

I'm pretty sure it's because Jaime is worth a hell of a lot more than two women, even if they are Robb's sisters. He's the apple of Tywin Lannister's eye, his most reliable weakness, and people have been exploiting that for decades (Hell, Aerys only failed in that gambit because he'd so clearly lost to Robert).

Also, me being me on a few notes on the summary of medieval myths v. reality:

If you're talking full-blown armor, yes, but the Cuirass remained prominent (with the eponymous Cuirassier heavy cavalry units) through the end of the 19th century, expecially during the Napoleonic Wars, where they kicked all sorts of rear end (not so much the French Revolutionary Wars, as Napoleon was the guy who brought them back with a vengeance)

Even during the Napoleonic Wars they were useful for defending against pistol shots and the like on the way to close combat, where of course they remained really useful.

Well, that and because they took no prisoners and would systematically kill every surviving enemy soldier left on the battlefield. Tends to make the untrained portions of the enemy armies break rather quickly, that.

90% of winning any battle is getting the enemy to go "Oh poo poo, run!"

You're right about the armor. It was actually helmets that mostly disappeared. I was really referring to the common soldier, though. The military thinking that was dominant in the west until the twentieth century was that if you gave anyone but officers cool poo poo or responsibilities, they would gently caress it up. Part of the reason repeating rifles and revolvers and such took so long to catch on is because the officers basically thought the men were too stupid to operate them, or would just start shooting wildly and miss their targets while wasting ammo.

Interestingly, they were sort of right. Until training caught up to technology, many soldiers on the battlefield wouldn't fire their guns or started shooting randomly in the generak direction of the enemy. It's not a matter of intelligence, though, but getting people not to freak out when they're being shot at.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Ambiguatron posted:

90% of winning any battle is getting the enemy to go "Oh poo poo, run!"

You're right about the armor. It was actually helmets that mostly disappeared. I was really referring to the common soldier, though. The military thinking that was dominant in the west until the twentieth century was that if you gave anyone but officers cool poo poo or responsibilities, they would gently caress it up. Part of the reason repeating rifles and revolvers and such took so long to catch on is because the officers basically thought the men were too stupid to operate them, or would just start shooting wildly and miss their targets while wasting ammo.

Interestingly, they were sort of right. Until training caught up to technology, many soldiers on the battlefield wouldn't fire their guns or started shooting randomly in the generak direction of the enemy. It's not a matter of intelligence, though, but getting people not to freak out when they're being shot at.

I think that last part actually turned out to be that most people aren't psychopaths and thus, couldn't, at that last moment turn a gun on the enemy (unless said enemy had been well and truly demonized by propaganda.) Fortunately, the upper class had been trained from birth to think that about basically everyone. :eng101:

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Related to your point about morale and training, and also as a response to

Ambiguatron posted:

The English had everyone else beat with it because their armies were very well drilled. They weren't even especially accurate, but they'd stand in one spot under fire and keep shooting at regular intervals until the other guys fell down, even if they took horrific losses.

Musketry in the Napoleonic Wars summarizes the strong counterargument that it's not so much the drilling on firing regularly and repeatedly but drilling on accuracy (basically where to aim to compensate for smoothbore muskets being pieces of poo poo) and delaying fire until the enemy is as close as possible (because the initial volley is by far the most devastating) being so incredibly important. The British had some important doctrinal advantages, but the French weren't far behind. What made the difference in effectiveness was that the French basically fought so often they didn't have any time to train the replacements for the veterans whose deaths necessitated their drafting, and untrained recruits just aren't going to be that disciplined when people are shooting at them and people are dying all around them.

The other continental armies were rubbish at all that because they tried to fire as quickly as possible instead of as effectively.

Gibbone
May 8, 2011
musketchat.txt ITT

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ambiguatron posted:

The primary way a knight did damage was by being a ton or so of horse, man, and steel going fast enough to slam into things, preferably concentrating that energy on the point of a spear.

Ive heard that - and I can see in a 1 on 1 that being effective, but wouldn't charging down a group of armed men risk hurting your mount? You'd think they would twist their ankles at least riding over piles of dying men.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
I adopted GRRM's gardener approach as a writer and it hasn't been too bad but that could be because I haven't expanded to the scope he has with the series. It might overwhelm him, but at least he knows what the ending is.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Page 420 :350:

George, you may have "Wrote That Wall 2 drat High" but kcroy cleaned up your mess.

poo poo *literally* just got real!

bigmcgaffney fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jun 29, 2012

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.

Gibbone posted:

musketchat.txt ITT

I like to mentally handicap what the thread topic will be when I randomly check in after 700 or so posts have gone by. I will say that this did not make the betting sheet.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I need to go play Napoleon: Total War.

Also, FYI, musket balls can't pierce armor plate. Unless they were using hardened steel balls and a poo poo ton of powder, in which case that musket will only ever fire one shot in its lifetime.

The ball / bullet / shot has to be a softer metal than your barrel, or the bore will get torn to shreds (most guns have steel barrels, which is why we use lead and copper bullets). As for powder, if you have enough powder behind a lead ball for it to punch steel, the gun would have to massively thick, not just a regular musket barrel, as that's going to take an outrageous amount of force (Newtonian physics what what), and even then only at close ranges, as musket balls have poo poo trajectory and lose almost all their energy after a few feet.

Source: crazy gun nut

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Azure_Horizon posted:

I adopted GRRM's gardener approach as a writer and it hasn't been too bad but that could be because I haven't expanded to the scope he has with the series. It might overwhelm him, but at least he knows what the ending is.

Are you published and where can I read it

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Azure_Horizon posted:

I was skimming the thread and thought that post said you'd adopted GRRM's writing approach to gardening.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Junkenstein posted:

I was skimming the thread and thought that post said you'd adopted GRRM's writing approach to gardening.

Covering everything in poo poo would probably be a pretty succesful gardening approach.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Covering everything in poo poo would probably be a pretty succesful gardening approach.

But only every 6 years?

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I don't think you appreciate how much watery poo poo we're talking about here.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

WeAreTheRomans posted:

I don't think you appreciate how much watery poo poo we're talking about here.

Oh I do.

Unless you're growing mushrooms, the amount of poo poo the GRRM writes about would be toxic to plants.

Just a single Dany shart could keep the Dothraki sea lush and green with its rich nitrogen mix.

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011

kcroy posted:

Ive heard that - and I can see in a 1 on 1 that being effective, but wouldn't charging down a group of armed men risk hurting your mount? You'd think they would twist their ankles at least riding over piles of dying men.

Generally, you would use your cavalry to slam into the rear or flanks of the enemy formation. At that point it was not so much a fight as it was cleanup.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Sophia posted:

I like to mentally handicap what the thread topic will be when I randomly check in after 700 or so posts have gone by. I will say that this did not make the betting sheet.

That's the thing about the Bad Thread, it'll surprise you in new, terrible ways when you least expect it. I just read a whole page of sperging about musketchat.

e: strangely, the Giant Bomb thread has also gone in a similar derail on the merits of knives vs bats.

IRQ fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jun 29, 2012

thornghost
Oct 11, 2010

I have a picture of me with GRRM. He looks less than enthused.

mhachtx posted:

Does anyone have the GURRM Ohmahgerd Lerhmencakes jpg? I need it for research.

A girl asks a man for lermoncerks. The fat god must be appeased.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Chinston Wurchill posted:

She looks Meera-y to me.

Meera! :swoon:

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
So do you think it's possible that Dany shat so much that she inadvertently left a trail of fertilized earth throughout the Dothraki Sea, allowing ghost grass to blossom and spread and doom the world?

In It For The Tank fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jun 29, 2012

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

In It For The Tank posted:

So do you think it's possible that Dany shat so much that she inadvertently left a trail of fertilized earth throughout the Dothraki Sea, allowing ghost grass to blossom and spread and doom the world?
:aaaaa: I forgot about that prophecy. But I suppose Bran will tree-gently caress the grass into submission.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
I wonder if you get morning wood as a tree, like your wood is extra stiff or something from all that wet dew glistening on the moss and oh yeah eueeerrrgghhhh

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Junkenstein posted:

Hahaha. Thankfully I can write much faster than he does granted my books are not as long I still actually care about writing

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

IRQ posted:

That's the thing about the Bad Thread, it'll surprise you in new, terrible ways when you least expect it. I just read a whole page of sperging about musketchat.

e: strangely, the Giant Bomb thread has also gone in a similar derail on the merits of knives vs bats.

The Giant Bomb thread?

Thinking of a bomberman mega thread. Please tell me I'm right.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Azure_Horizon posted:

Hahaha. Thankfully I can write much faster than he does granted my books are not as long I still actually care about writing

Are you published man, tellllll meeeeee

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Shageletic posted:

The Giant Bomb thread?

Thinking of a bomberman mega thread. Please tell me I'm right.

http://www.giantbomb.com/

It's for watching funny dudes play video games. There's a thread in Games because their forums are horrible and full of horrible people like most forums.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

General Battuta posted:

Isn't it obvious? A_H is really Ty.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

General Battuta posted:

I'm secretly Parris.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
Im terry goodkind

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

bigmcgaffney posted:

Im terry goodkind

i lul'd

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

bigmcgaffney posted:

Page 420 :350:

George, you may have "Wrote That Wall 2 drat High" but kcroy cleaned up your mess.

poo poo *literally* just got real!

I'm kinda proud I banged that out in like 15 minutes. It is clearly missing arya warg sex, but I got stuck on weirwood cocks.

The Mutato posted:

How this thread is both so informative and lovely is mind boggling.

It's actually a lot like rehab. You've got some interesting people, all with same horrible addiction, stuck in a loving room. Most of the time its just stories about how much you miss drugs (GRRM) or how lovely drugs are (GRRM).

But every now and then the MIT professor or the gay monk will lay some real knowledge on you.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Harpies ain't poo poo and they ain't say nothing
A hundred Jorah Mormonts can't tell me nothing
I poo poo in the grass, poo poo poo poo in the grass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT MY RADLEY-WALTERS' MEDAL

Is that medal for being the most intolerable poster in a thread about Warhammer 40.000 novels? Because if it is, you sure blew the competition out of the water, son.

SpaceMost posted:

Harpies ain't poo poo and they ain't say nothing
A hundred Jorah Mormonts can't tell me nothing

American Tolkien right there.