Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dangerz
Jan 12, 2005

when i move you move, just like that

Got it 5 years ago with 1 mile on it. ~26k later, still running strong with no major issues. Love this thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Anyone here do a naked headlight HIDZZZ conversion?

I rode in a car with standard HID headlights and was very impressed.

I have a spare Euro (wrong reflector for NA) housing that I'm tempted to hack up and fit an HID into. I'm tempted by the kit being sold on SVRider.

I like the look of the original round headlight and don't really want to change that.

Are HIDs more trouble than they're worth?

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

Ziploc posted:

Anyone here do a naked headlight HIDZZZ conversion?

I rode in a car with standard HID headlights and was very impressed.

I have a spare Euro (wrong reflector for NA) housing that I'm tempted to hack up and fit an HID into. I'm tempted by the kit being sold on SVRider.

I like the look of the original round headlight and don't really want to change that.

Are HIDs more trouble than they're worth?

I'd only worry about the usual issues with retrofitting HIDs into housings that weren't designed for it. Basically, they don't focus the light at the correct height or cone like an OEM housing would, and it blinds other drivers. If you're willing to spend a decent amount you might be able to make something that works okay, or you could spend only a little and get something that annoys other drivers/riders in the oncoming traffic lane.

Personally, I'd just stick to the stock setup.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

bladesamurai posted:

I'd only worry about the usual issues with retrofitting HIDs into housings that weren't designed for it. Basically, they don't focus the light at the correct height or cone like an OEM housing would, and it blinds other drivers. If you're willing to spend a decent amount you might be able to make something that works okay, or you could spend only a little and get something that annoys other drivers/riders in the oncoming traffic lane.

Personally, I'd just stick to the stock setup.

I think he's talking about transplating the projector as well. Not just the bulb you know? So that would focus the light just like it was in it's original housing.

You might try this though: http://www.futurevisionhid.com/products/headlights/h6024-bi-xenon-projector-motorcycle-headlight.htm

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

Coredump posted:

I think he's talking about transplating the projector as well. Not just the bulb you know? So that would focus the light just like it was in it's original housing.

You might try this though: http://www.futurevisionhid.com/products/headlights/h6024-bi-xenon-projector-motorcycle-headlight.htm

I really really want to do something about the terrible stock lights on the SV, but this is kinda pricey imo.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
My Bandit uses the same reflector as the SV.

I don't want to change the bucket though. I'd like to get more output (I have a normal Hella [likely a car type] bulb in it) I like the reliable adjuster on the bottom of the bucket.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Ziploc posted:

My Bandit uses the same reflector as the SV.

I don't want to change the bucket though. I'd like to get more output (I have a normal Hella [likely a car type] bulb in it) I like the reliable adjuster on the bottom of the bucket.

Try a Philips motovision or Osram Silverstar bulb. if thats not enough it'd be better to rig some auxiliary lights rather than put in lovely HIDZ and blind everyone else on the road

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
The HID retrofit is an excellent idea. It's on my to-do list just haven't gotten around to it yet. It's not a lovely 'HIDZ' thing... a proper bixenon is where it's at.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I had Hella HID's from a bodykit I purchased form Z3n. Of all the things done to that bike, I'd say that is my absolute favorite. Proper HID's are exceptionally bright and look amazing (non-blinding) in the day. The difference, though, between a set of eBay specials and the real deal are quite literally night and day-- no random bright spots or anything. It's worth shelling out the $80+ per module for proper ones.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
I've decided to sell my SV650 so I went out to take some nice shots of it last night.

Part of me wants to keep it but the other part of me really wants the nearly new Street Triple I found for a good price. I'll miss it, it's been the most reliable/fun vehicle I've ever owned.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
Wow, good pics of a beautiful bike. Are you anywhere near northeast Ohio?

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

kenny powerzzz posted:

Wow, good pics of a beautiful bike. Are you anywhere near northeast Ohio?
Thanks, I'm in Minneapolis MN. I bought the bike in Eugene Oregon last year.

Made this video along the way. (please no lectures on holding a camera while riding I know it was dumb)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUFL6z6Hw9I

and wrote this ride journal along the way.

http://whyisyourlastnamewong.tumblr.com/post/8826983954/first-day-of-the-reverse-oregon-trail

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Those pics are better than most pictures I see in magazines and official websites. Extremely well taken; kudos!

What's your setup look like? My girlfriend is a photographer and would love to know. :)

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

titanium posted:

Thanks, I'm in Minneapolis MN. I bought the bike in Eugene Oregon last year.

Made this video along the way. (please no lectures on holding a camera while riding I know it was dumb)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUFL6z6Hw9I

and wrote this ride journal along the way.

http://whyisyourlastnamewong.tumblr.com/post/8826983954/first-day-of-the-reverse-oregon-trail

What helmet is that??

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Xovaan posted:

Those pics are better than most pictures I see in magazines and official websites. Extremely well taken; kudos!

What's your setup look like? My girlfriend is a photographer and would love to know. :)

Thanks, the camera setup is a D800E with the Nikon 85mm 1.8G. Tell her to keep an eye out for a well priced used D700 or wait for the incoming D600.

invision posted:

What helmet is that??

Roof Boxer Black Shadow edition. Not cheap, not DOT approved (It is Europe approved and MN doesnt require helmets so I'm okay), but it's comfortable on my head and looks great imo.

OneOverZero
Oct 14, 2005

JET FUEL CAN'T MELT SEALED BEAMS

titanium posted:

I've decided to sell my SV650 so I went out to take some nice shots of it last night.

Your SV is identical to mine apart from the mirrors, which appear to be exactly what I've been looking for! What are they?

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

OneOverZero posted:

Your SV is identical to mine apart from the mirrors, which appear to be exactly what I've been looking for! What are they?

Napoleons.

http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Napoleon-Bar-End-Mirrors/dp/B004WPEFZA

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice
On a gen2 naked SV650:

In : Does bolt 8 screw into the headlamp bucket (via plate 2)?

Over the weekend, I removed the previous owner's Givi windscreen just to see the difference. However, I think I may have dropped and lost two spacers/nuts/washers or something when I removed the bolts on either side that secured the windscreen to the headlight bracket 14,15 and headlight bucket. I thought I heard something drop out and fall onto my plastic fender (or something plastic), but that was before I even removed the bolts all the way.

Now, when I try to put the bolts back in, the bolts slide in/out of the headlight bucket with no resistance. Is this normal? The bolts don't actually screw into the headlight bucket? Do they actually thread and screw into something else (that I might have dropped or lost)? From the diagram above, it doesn't look like I'm missing any parts.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Aren't they held in by 9?

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

Ziploc posted:

Aren't they held in by 9?

Oh duh, I think you are right. Thanks. Also I just realized that Givi has its own brackets in place of 14,15. I'll have to dig through the PO's box of stuff to see if he included the original brackets.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Been riding this badboy for a few days as it just got out of the shop. Goddamn are SVs awesome with a proper front-end.

Sadly it's a friends bike and I gotta return it in a few days but it's really making me miss my 650. Worst sale decision ever :/

ReggieCelsius
Feb 1, 2007

snortsly
will this R6 tube be suitable for my 08 sv650??

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Yamaha-Y...c#ht_1777wt_905

nevermind.. so cheap, i bought it anyway

ReggieCelsius fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jul 11, 2012

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

I recently picked up an r6 throttle tube but looking at these instructions, I can't tell if I need to cut any material off of the tube or not before I install it.

http://www.canyonchasers.net/shop/sv/R6-throttle.php

I have a 2004 Naked, and the write-up says that the only difference is between the pre03 and post03 bikes, but it only recommends not installing it on a gen2 S model. So, do I cut off the excess material?

HammerOfHope
Apr 21, 2003

Pounding away since 1984.

bladesamurai posted:

I recently picked up an r6 throttle tube but looking at these instructions, I can't tell if I need to cut any material off of the tube or not before I install it.

I have a 2004 Naked, and the write-up says that the only difference is between the pre03 and post03 bikes, but it only recommends not installing it on a gen2 S model. So, do I cut off the excess material?

It sounds like you should (just from reading the write-up, I'm not an expert.) I also don't get why they don't recommend it for the S models.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

bladesamurai posted:

He's just doing some CYA in case some idiot snaps their throttle tube in half and dies because they did it wrong. Shave the indicated part and install.

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

Z3n posted:

He's just doing some CYA in case some idiot snaps their throttle tube in half and dies because they did it wrong. Shave the indicated part and install.

I shaved off the indicated amount and after install my throttle free play is good as well as the throttle's return. Is there an easy way to confirm that I'm able to go full throttle? I was wary of shaving too much material and snapping the plastic.

Boss
Feb 23, 2011
Welp I joined the clan. Picked up an 06 w/ 27k km. It won't look like this for long because I'm incapable of owning something with out tinkering on it. Gonna do some cosmetic stuff to start with and then probably play around with the springs.

And a bonus shot of my bike with a couple of my buddies modded out Honda Ruckuses. I've got to stop riding with these guys. A couple of cops pulled us over to check our insurance, licenses, etc. They were quickly joined by a few more cops who said they had seen us around earlier in the night. Not exactly low profile.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

bladesamurai posted:

I shaved off the indicated amount and after install my throttle free play is good as well as the throttle's return. Is there an easy way to confirm that I'm able to go full throttle? I was wary of shaving too much material and snapping the plastic.

You can pull off the airbox and look down the carb bodies and make sure they're all the way open when you pin the throttle.

OneOverZero
Oct 14, 2005

JET FUEL CAN'T MELT SEALED BEAMS
Well, poo poo. My SV was dumped over onto it right side in a parking lot by unknown assailant(s), leaving the first rivet strap on my carbon M4 all knackered up. Is there a good source of those crazy things so I can drill and re-rivet the strap?

And just after I replaced the rear brake lever and throttle tube from the last time this happened, too. :(

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
I learned a little something tonight about trusting the rear axle alignment marks, which was not to trust the rear axle alignment marks.

I noticed last night that the bike pulled to the right if I took both hands off the handlebars, and since I had the rear wheel off recently to change the tire, I figured it was probably not on straight even though I was very careful about aligning to the marks on both swingarms. I also thought that might have something to do with my unsettling slish slish slish chain noise that two people have told me was probably okay, but has never stopped bothering me.

So I got the rear end up and measured the distance from the edge of the square plate on both sides to the end of the swingarm with a micrometer and it was precisely the same. Then I loosened up the axle and discovered that the left side plate, the one under the castle nut with the cotter pin, had at least 1mm of front-to-back play in it...and when I slid it all the way forward, there was a discrepancy. The right side plate didn't move.

I fixed it, double checked the chain tension, and took the bike out for a half hour. The chain noise is MUCH reduced now.

The thing is, though, the bike still pulls to the right a bit. I can easily pull it back just by shifting weight or using my right knee.

Is this something I should still be worried about? Is it going to ruin my tire? The bike handles just fine when both of my hands are on the bars.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Ugh, I found an 06 SV650n w/ 17.5k miles that looked completely spotless with a few extras for sale locally. The seller told me he'd let it go this weekend for $2500, and I said I'd come buy it from him. Then he stopped responding to my emails, and he deleted his listing off of CL today. I guess I'll keep looking around.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I've been looking at getting a SV650 as a first bike, as Ninja 500Rs are hard to find, and I've noticed that I can find pre-2003 versions for ~$2500, but 2003+ ones are usually $3500. Is it worth the extra $1000 to get EFI over a carbed bike? I do a fair amount of work on my cars, but I don't have any carb experience.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Depends on which bike pops up first in good condition. After owning two bikes with carbs I've come to the conclusion that they're not that difficult to work on and when everything is clean and synched correctly they start right up every time with little use of the choke. People seem to get about 5-10mpg more with EFI though so that's always a bonus. No altitude problems with EFI as well, but that's only really an issue if you plan on shredding pavement on a rigid airship or a tall mountain or something

I also personally like the looks of the gen2's but I'm a blasphemer.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
I like EFI a lot. I haven't owned a carbed bike, but have a bunch of cars and they're fine generally, I just like EFI more. No problems starting on cold mornings, no altitude problems, nothing to mess around with adjusting. Pretty much just turn the key and go.

I like the looks of gen2s also. I think the gen 1 looks kind of bulbous and weird. Plus the gen2 has the killer vertical tail lights.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Carbs take getting used to. My bike was the first carb thing I'd ever owned. And thus, first with a choke. Bandits are fairly cold blooded so I would annoyed at how long I would have to choke it before it would rev off idle properly. I could put my gloves and helmet on twice for example.

Then I realized that I could choke it at 2500rpm (which is what the manual says to do) put on my gloves and helmet, lower the choke to just above idle, and ride off remembering to remove all choke after a stop light or two.

After that, I gave no fucks about carbs or choke.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I pull the choke on until I see an increase in RPM-- fifteen seconds or so-- and I'm good to go. If your carbs are clean and synced it shouldn't be any issue at all. :)

Do you live in a colder area?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Kinda thinking about making an offer on this - http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=160565
Thoughts?

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

Kinda thinking about making an offer on this - http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=160565
Thoughts?

Looks like it sold on 7/10, sadly. Nice bike, though.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Goddamn, I'm blind and I need to poo poo or get off the pot on nice bikes instead of leaving a Chrome tab open for weeks and waiting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
EFI rules if you're in a colder climate and are going to ride when it's below freezing out. My SV sat outside for a week at 15 degrees and started right up like it was 70 out.

• Locked thread