Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Ahaha holy poo poo.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spellcheck
Oct 23, 2008

by angerbot
Question id like to put forth to my fellow readers. Would you say that baam hasnt aged physically between act 1 and 2? his bearing shows alot of mental change. But looking back, besides length of hair, his height and build remains consisten to even his flash backs to pretower. Is it just me?

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Spellcheck posted:

Question id like to put forth to my fellow readers. Would you say that baam hasnt aged physically between act 1 and 2? his bearing shows alot of mental change. But looking back, besides length of hair, his height and build remains consisten to even his flash backs to pretower. Is it just me?

It's not just you, I'm seeing it too. Isn't this meant to be 5 years later? I imagine it's due to his shinsoo abilities. Rankers are downright immortal, aging wise.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I'm so loving close to staking a dead or alive bounty on that Crazy dude's head.

No seriously, how have they not kicked this creepy disgusting asswipe off already? Excellent chapter apart from that (which makes it all the worse somehow...).

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

HenryEx posted:

I'm so loving close to staking a dead or alive bounty on that Crazy dude's head.

No seriously, how have they not kicked this creepy disgusting asswipe off already? Excellent chapter apart from that (which makes it all the worse somehow...).

This is exactly why I've been reading the version translated by another guy that gets put on imgur. A little harder to read, and honestly I prefer the names of The Company's translation (Viole, Lurker, Rapdevil are all better than Violet, Locker and Lobdevil). But my GOD do all those terrible little translator notes piss me off. What's so kinky about putting your fingers in a girl's mouth anyway?

Spellcheck
Oct 23, 2008

by angerbot

Slime posted:

What's so kinky about putting your fingers in a girl's mouth anyway?

I think its the way They drew the saliva.

But that aside, Honestly we haven't seen anyone from the first arc in the 5 year skip. All we have seen are the Zahard princesses and Baam.

maybe that implicates something? :iiam:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So I just found out the author did a Maplestory/Tower of God crossover for Maplestory's 9th anniversary. It's obviously non-canon by the way.

EDIT: Forgot SA doesn't like 'shack so just go to This Page and go the images from there instead.

It takes place post-timeskip, so not sure if those are supposed to be Rak, Koon and Androssi's post-timeskip appearances or what. Androssi has her shields back which make it even more confusing.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jun 21, 2012

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

Cbouncerrun posted:

So I just found out the author did a Maplestory/Tower of God crossover for Maplestory's 9th anniversary. It's obviously non-canon by the way.

Page 1
Page 2
Page 3

It takes place post-timeskip, so not sure if those are supposed to be Rak, Koon and Androssi's post-timeskip appearances or what. Androssi has her shields back which make it even more confusing.

If anyone is interested in actually reading this, quote the post. Standard
code:
"imageshack"
auto-ciphering applies otherwise. (Imageshanty really should be taken off the list, since that appears to be an actual site now...)

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Ah, forgot the site did that. Just go to This Page and then go to the 'shack images from there.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Why did I read that?

zerosix
Jun 22, 2012
not a bad vignette taken at art value.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
I am curious if there is any information about SIU asking for donations? I'd gladly give :10bux: in hopes of either longer chapters or faster releases as well as thanks for all the previous great strips.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I'm pretty sure he gets paid for doing the webcomic, and the length of a chapter probably isn't something he decides.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Cbouncerrun posted:

I'm pretty sure he gets paid for doing the webcomic, and the length of a chapter probably isn't something he decides.

Yes, he is a professional that gets paid by Naver, the Korean web portal that hosts the comic. I did a small write-up on this in the Korean manwha thread; the short and skinny of it is that you should use the goo.gl links that are usually provided in the beginning of each translated chapter and go give a pageview to the original, Korean version of the webcomic at it's native site, Naver's webcomic portal. It's a simple and effective way of helping the professional that created the comic.

EDIT: Replaced link to a link to Tower of God's page.

pnumoman fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jun 27, 2012

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Thank you for the information and now I'll just have to work my way through all of the chapters :effort: but well worth it.

zerosix
Jun 22, 2012

Oh god the raws of the next chapter has me pumped. I cant wait :allears:

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

zerosix posted:

Oh god the raws of the next chapter has me pumped. I cant wait :allears:

I've learned the hard way to merely click so SIU gets the money and then wait, otherwise i'll drool from anticipation.

The Holy Queef
Jul 13, 2003
No, it is not gross, in fact, it's funny, yeah, think of it that way.

Einander posted:

If anyone is interested in actually reading this, quote the post. Standard
code:
"imageshack"
auto-ciphering applies otherwise. (Imageshanty really should be taken off the list, since that appears to be an actual site now...)

imageshanty links not working,
Cool little crossover though nothing important happens just cameo appearances. Hell I'm just glad to see Mangator has not been forgotten!

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

new translated strip by company

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
At last! ToG is about the only media I actually consume as it comes out these days.

Anyway, Horyang specifically referencing Viole's creepy lobster exoskeleton ability is pretty interesting. He seemed to have some idea of what it was back when it was first used too.

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer
So was the team victory at the end of this chapter a result of Baam being moved by Wangnan's words and deliberately giving them the last room, or was there some kind of trickery involved?

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Ghost of Babyhead posted:

So was the team victory at the end of this chapter a result of Baam being moved by Wangnan's words and deliberately giving them the last room, or was there some kind of trickery involved?

Baam knew which connector was his, since he opened his door, but even more than that, it says which connector is.. connected when they're plugged in. Finally - if Baam wanted to pass by himself, he would've had to hit the red button, the team victory was only possible with the blue button. Baam knew. I suspect Wangnan thought he tricked him, though.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax
And would you just look at this early chapter release.

It's a pretty satisfying conclusion, I'd say.

There's a 1 week break though. So that's a bummer.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
FUG seems to have their fingers in a lot of pies. Probably more than most realize.

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009
I don't get quite a few things in the chapter.

Who's the general examiner? Is he a new character? Is his position like the yellow-hair tea drinking guy/girl from the last section and the baseball guy is like the angry red-haired regular?

FUG is the organization that Baam/Viole's a part of right? Did they intentionally set it up so that Wangnan would meet with him and get passed?

Did Baam know which connector he plugged in? I thought that he did, but this chapter explicitly said he got tricked (thought it might be unreliable narrator?)

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

pinegala posted:

Who's the general examiner? Is he a new character? Is his position like the yellow-hair tea drinking guy/girl from the last section and the baseball guy is like the angry red-haired regular?

He was shown in an earlier chapter, but he's basically in charge of all the testing. So yeah he's pretty much in the same position as the tea guy.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

pinegala posted:

FUG is the organization that Baam/Viole's a part of right? Did they intentionally set it up so that Wangnan would meet with him and get passed?

Did Baam know which connector he plugged in? I thought that he did, but this chapter explicitly said he got tricked (thought it might be unreliable narrator

Presumably something like that happened. We don't really know at this point since FUG is more or less a big mystery to us. We more or less only know that FUG is a huge underground organization whose goal is to overthrow the Zahards, and they aren't against killing to meet their goal.

I would say we also don't know about this. The narration was on Wagnan's part, who isn't omniscient. He planned on that happening, but we don't know whether Viole knew or not. I wouldn't be surprised if he did know, since he seems to be interested in Wagnan's ideals. Based on what Wagnan spoke about, like the open sky for everyone, I imagine that resonated a bit with Viole/Baam given his initial reasons for climbing the tower - seeing the open sky with Rachel.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Do people think that seeing the sky is climbing the tower as is known or actually climbing to the top? In case anyone hasn't read the notes about it the floors that are climbed typically aren't the whole tower but that the floor guardians above are incredibly powerful and dangerous and don't like people on their floors

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
I think climbing the tower in this universe is akin to joining the military in ours. It's ridiculously hard and dangerous, but if you can do it, you earn respect and get special privileges. Even if you don't make it to the top, you're much better off than most people who don't even try. Also of note is that lifespans tend to be several hundred years in the tower on average, so "securing your future" would be kind of a big deal to those at the bottom of society.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 225 days!

quote:

Do people think that seeing the sky is climbing the tower as is known or actually climbing to the top? In case anyone hasn't read the notes about it the floors that are climbed typically aren't the whole tower but that the floor guardians above are incredibly powerful and dangerous and don't like people on their floors

Climbing the Tower is a pretty broad metaphor for success (material and/or spiritual). The sky is pretty straightforwardly an image of existence after the removal of all external barriers to human potential. So the sky is sort of being used to mean both, it's the goal and the possibility of real movement towards that goal.

Wagnan states that he wants to depose Zahard in order to build a society that facilitates, or at least does not impede, human achievement. His motivation isn't realization of human potential, however. A darwinistic society can still achieve that, although this one has clearly stagnated. His goal is allowing humans to strive for success without destroying each other and therefor the affective bonds that connect individuals and ultimately allow society to exist.

Which is exactly what Baam had taken from him.

Edit: The Tower is also an MMO. Zahard was the hero of a Journey to the West-style mythic narrative of the first organized group to "play the game." Except that they got to the end of the newbie floors (where the guardians are friendly), freaked out, and set up a society to limit access to the first level at which the "game" actually begins tracking player status and started living off the backs of the other players.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jul 4, 2012

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Where exactly does it say nobody's ever actually reached the top of the tower? I could have sworn it said all rankers are people who've reached the top.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Sindai posted:

Where exactly does it say nobody's ever actually reached the top of the tower? I could have sworn it said all rankers are people who've reached the top.

Well there are a few mentions, but some background first: 'Ranks' are given to those who reach the 134th floor - there is a literal ranking committee of sorts (랭킹 관리국, Raengking Gwahnligook; or "Ranking Affairs Bureau") that determines how strong you are compared to others from your climb to the top. The top 1% of people to climb to the 134th floor are the "High Rankers". I don't believe ranks can change once you reach the top - if you were ranked 4th, the only way for your rank to change is for someone new to be ranked 1st through 4th - pushing your rank down by 1.

That's important because only High Rankers are given the privilege of taking the 135th floor test. In this sense I suppose that the act of being 'ranked' is the 134th test.

Anyway, we know 134 isn't the top because of various blog posts - what we know so far is conveniently collected here.

e: Thinking about it, I suppose you could move up in ranking by killing those ahead of you.
ee: Also, because they have to take the test from the Guardian as opposed to from the Zahard testing "protocol" of sorts - only Irregulars are eligible in the first place.

Sarcophallus fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jul 4, 2012

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Sarcophallus posted:

Well there are a few mentions, but some background first: 'Ranks' are given to those who reach the 134th floor - there is a literal ranking committee of sorts (랭킹 관리국, Raengking Gwahnligook; or "Ranking Affairs Bureau") that determines how strong you are compared to others from your climb to the top. The top 1% of people to climb to the 134th floor are the "High Rankers". I don't believe ranks can change once you reach the top - if you were ranked 4th, the only way for your rank to change is for someone new to be ranked 1st through 4th - pushing your rank down by 1.

That's important because only High Rankers are given the privilege of taking the 135th floor test. In this sense I suppose that the act of being 'ranked' is the 134th test.

Anyway, we know 134 isn't the top because of various blog posts - what we know so far is conveniently collected here.

e: Thinking about it, I suppose you could move up in ranking by killing those ahead of you.
ee: Also, because they have to take the test from the Guardian as opposed to from the Zahard testing "protocol" of sorts - only Irregulars are eligible in the first place.

100th floor is the floor where ranking starts, and people can change their ranking once ranked.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Sindai posted:

No one has completed the Floor 135 and up Guardian tests yet.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
The Company version is up. Even if you already read it, the note from SIU they translated and included is interesting.

Something I didn't notice the first time I read. I was randomly looking through the Tower of God wiki a while back, and I was reminded that Yu Han Sung (instant coffee guy, the test director for floor 2) has the nickname of 'Submerged Fish.'

The 20th floor test director was talking to Submerged Fish, which means that Augustus and this floor's events were part of that conspiracy. So apparently Baam joining with FUG as Viole was planned. Headon being a part of the conspiracy is an even bigger thing now, since he's one of the Tower's more powerful Guardians and the one who selects Regulars.

The Holy Queef
Jul 13, 2003
No, it is not gross, in fact, it's funny, yeah, think of it that way.
The full epilogue was way better than that short one!

KOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON

Homo Depot
Jun 27, 2007

Studs on sale!
Socks and sandals Baam? Really? Get the gently caress out of my tower...

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

The Holy Queef posted:

The full epilogue was way better than that short one!

KOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON
Oh is that's who he was/related to? I knew he looked familiar, but I just couldn't put my finger on it.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I was't sure if that was Koon or not either, but the authors notes at the end seem to confirm it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 225 days!
On another note, does anyone else think FUG is setting Baam up as a figurehead of opposition to the current regime? It seemed like they wanted him to fight a regular and come out at least okay, so they set him up against one who they knew was too softhearted and rational to kill him.

Now the word is out that he actually "beat" a Ranker. And he's been divorced from the stigma of being an Irregular (who people think of as dangerous and foreign), and instead aligned with a more familiar source of opposition to the social order. The goal from FUG's point of view, is demonstrating that someone is able to defy the system and make people start to actively think in those terms.