Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

Can't leave the bubble! I guess this copy of Dirk still operates under dead dreamself rules even though technically what he is is an imaginary brain-ghost taken over by the real thing because his Earth and Derse selves only have one consciousness between them so when one gets knocked out both go down and there's nowhere else for them to dream? Something like that.

The whole dream-dreamdirk raises an interesting question about how Dirk dreams regularly... put it this way: his real self and his dream self are awake simultaneously, so both sleep when he goes to sleep? Personally I kind of agree with you, but with the caveat that activating this dream-dreamself is akin to the "waking up" the kids from the other session had to do; that is to say, until they woke up they just slept normally, once they woke up they dreamed in their other self. Since dirk's normal dreamself is instead active while he's awake, it makes sense that he can't use it when he's asleep.

edit: So the meteor has left, that means Dirk is stuck in that dreambubble with... Aranea and Meenah? I'm still predicting putting him to sleep with psychic powers.

TheDemon fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Jun 30, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strongylocentrotus
Jan 24, 2007

Nab him, jab him, tab him, grab him - stop that pigeon NOW!
So Roxy and Serenity are out and Dirk is stuck inside. Now that he's done just about all he can do, maybe he'll zoom back down to the meteor crew for chitchat time. I'm sure Dave would love that!

I wonder how WV will react if/when he notices his insect buddy is MIA. I'm prepared for a panel of WV gazing silently at the sky as a single tear rolls down his cheek.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Strongylocentrotus posted:

So Roxy and Serenity are out and Dirk is stuck inside. Now that he's done just about all he can do, maybe he'll zoom back down to the meteor crew for chitchat time. I'm sure Dave would love that!
nah, he's gonna fly into the outer surface of the dreambubble and commit dream-suicide so at least one of his corporeal selves can wake up and escape immediate danger. he just wanted to make sure roxy has a little push in the right direction.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You toss that mom, Dirk.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

You toss that mom, Dirk.
Brainghost tosses alco-mom. Jesus Christ.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
Sorry, WV. :sigh:

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
Aww, they left the bubble before they could learn more about the ancestors.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Strongylocentrotus posted:

I'm prepared for a panel of WV gazing silently at the sky as a single tear rolls down his cheek.

Close enough.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

I'm wondering a bit how those shackles actually operate. I assumed it was by key but if that's so the keys would have to be able to be reached from the bed which should mean both would be in reach of whoever woke up. Gotta be magic plot shackles.

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

Indecisive posted:

I'm wondering a bit how those shackles actually operate. I assumed it was by key but if that's so the keys would have to be able to be reached from the bed which should mean both would be in reach of whoever woke up. Gotta be magic plot shackles.

Well, given that the boxes to which they're anchored, the chains which connect them to those boxes, and the sarswapagus which is the entire point of all this business are all operated via mysterious juju enchantments... yes, that sounds like a pretty reasonable guess.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I love how much this sequence plays into Dave's hero-worship of Bro and the general theme of Dave building Bro up into this mythical figure far larger than the actual reality. We know that Dirk is stopped by the dreambubble and has to settle for the modest contribution of getting Dream Roxy pointed Derseward, but as far as Dave knows Dirk just completely loving upstaged everybody out of nowhere and flew off to save the day singlehandedly.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gabriel Pope posted:

I love how much this sequence plays into Dave's hero-worship of Bro and the general theme of Dave building Bro up into this mythical figure far larger than the actual reality. We know that Dirk is stopped by the dreambubble and has to settle for the modest contribution of getting Dream Roxy pointed Derseward, but as far as Dave knows Dirk just completely loving upstaged everybody out of nowhere and flew off to save the day singlehandedly.

When it comes to irony, he is simply the best there is.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Indecisive posted:

I think it was mentioned that it was a word or something that opened them. So yeah, both are in reach but they can only unlock the one with their symbol on it.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Myrdhale posted:

I think it was mentioned that it was a word or something that opened them. So yeah, both are in reach but they can only unlock the one with their symbol on it.

I don't think it was said specifically, but it would make sense if it was their own name that opened it. Since hearing their "sibling's" name will make them fall asleep, saying it to unlock the shackle would just put them to sleep and switch them.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Tollymain posted:

When it comes to irony, he is simply the best there is.

If Dirk goes on about how he's even achieved the heights of dramatic irony I don't think I could handle it.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
I made some more music. Imagine being stuck on a dull, drab, gray meteor in space for 3 loving years.

Or just listen to this since that's what I was going for. (Ambient)

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I like that, but between Rose and Kanaya's redecoration and Can Town I'd hardly call the meteor "dull", "drab", or "grey". Something more lively could probably go well with it.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
That last frame of Dirk just floating there all alone is really kind of depressing. :smith:

Mystery Machine
Oct 12, 2008

snucks posted:

nah, he's gonna fly into the outer surface of the dreambubble and commit dream-suicide so at least one of his corporeal selves can wake up and escape immediate danger. he just wanted to make sure roxy has a little push in the right direction.

Dirk's the exact opposite of Dave. Dave needs to minimize dead Daves popping up. Dirk maximizes it.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
You know, I was thinking about the Dave-Dirk dynamic, and realized something.

Dirk's big flaw as we know it is that he sees himself as a puppetmaster who can handle and multitask everyone, including multiple instances of himself, and be totally in control of all the situations easily. As his AI-equivalent who IS capable of that knows, he really isn't and can't. There's way too much poo poo for him to deal with reasonably, so even trying to and not splitting the workload with his friends is ultimately self-destructive.

But if you think about it, Dave is capable of doing that, purely by rote of not actually overthinking it at all and just going with the flow (also: time travel). He manages his many time-traveling selves and not creating paradoxes or falling short simply by being cool and doing what comes naturally; if he does what comes naturally and not being too overly calculating, he won't have to worry about doing poo poo wrong and developing a paradox side dimension that will punt him out. So he can manage things simply by dealing with things one at a time, letting people deal with their own things without micromanaging them, and doing what is necessary as it comes up and bit by bit.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
God I've been loving the visuals of these last couple updates.

also gently caress yeah aranea

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Zorak posted:

You know, I was thinking about the Dave-Dirk dynamic, and realized something.

Dirk's big flaw as we know it is that he sees himself as a puppetmaster who can handle and multitask everyone, including multiple instances of himself, and be totally in control of all the situations easily. As his AI-equivalent who IS capable of that knows, he really isn't and can't. There's way too much poo poo for him to deal with reasonably, so even trying to and not splitting the workload with his friends is ultimately self-destructive.

But if you think about it, Dave is capable of doing that, purely by rote of not actually overthinking it at all and just going with the flow (also: time travel). He manages his many time-traveling selves and not creating paradoxes or falling short simply by being cool and doing what comes naturally; if he does what comes naturally and not being too overly calculating, he won't have to worry about doing poo poo wrong and developing a paradox side dimension that will punt him out. So he can manage things simply by dealing with things one at a time, letting people deal with their own things without micromanaging them, and doing what is necessary as it comes up and bit by bit.
time paradoxes cause your problems to be as complicated as you can imagine them.

omg, aranea's psychic abilities are the opposite of vriska's :v:

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

snucks posted:

time paradoxes cause your problems to be as complicated as you can imagine them.

omg, aranea's psychic abilities are the opposite of vriska's :v:

Didn't Vriska cause John to wake up one time? Like the first time she actually used her powers on him?

edit: yep! starting here, with the actual waking here

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

Haha, goddamn this update. That whole trip must feel like an eternity of boredom followed by these prophetic points of absolute mind-gently caress. You almost feel sorry for the kids.

I know the trolls don't. They're having a loving ball. Very confusing though.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Looks like Homestuck is going on semi-hiatus for a while.

Oh well, at least we'll get a few flashes out of it...

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

HorseRenoir posted:

Looks like Homestuck is going on semi-hiatus for a while.

Oh well, at least we'll get a few flashes out of it...
It'll be nothing compared to the Great Homestuck Drought of 2011. I was there, seven weeks long, it was. Cannibalism in the streets. This one won't break three, I bet.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

JT Jag posted:

It'll be nothing compared to the Great Homestuck Drought of 2011. I was there, seven weeks long, it was. Cannibalism in the streets. This one won't break three, I bet.

Well, no, but it'll be several breaks in a row.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
Any bets on the next update being called "uu: Wake" (perhaps after a few more arrows)?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I'd caught up a few days before the Cascade update pause. A x3 Puase Combo is pretty much nothing, 'specially given we'll be getting flashes in-between.

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

King of Solomon posted:

Well, no, but it'll be several breaks in a row.

Don't forget that AH also took a rest break after Cascade.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
The new hiatus is pretty much waiting for new episodes of a tv show in practice.

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
So does this mean we have to close the thread again? :(

At the risk of sounding like a dork, that was the worst part of the Cascade hiatus.

Valex
Nov 28, 2009

by astral

Olivia42 posted:

So does this mean we have to close the thread again? :(

At the risk of sounding like a dork, that was the worst part of the Cascade hiatus.

In theory, we should be able to keep it open as long as everybody can hold it together over the hiatus

In reality, yes lock it right now

Norton Ghostride
Apr 30, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
No updates?

It's Vriska time.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Norton Ghostride posted:

No updates?

It's Vriska time.

Vriska is too dangerous. We cannot release the creature.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
Well, before the inevitable lock I would like to post my thirteen page thesis on why Vriska is objectively the most character in Homestuck.
You see

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
I'm going to post a 1000 word essay on Tumblr about why Vriska is the best character. It's just going to be "Vriska owns" copy pasted 500 times.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

I hate to momentarily derail Vriskachat, but apparently someone on Tumblr pointed out something. That review of SBURB in Game Bro way back in Act 1 gave it 1.5 hats out of 5, and the reviewer never even played it. Who had an unopened copy of SBURB way back ago? Who's post-scratch self has a hat for his icon?

That's right. Bro writes for Game Bro.

(That possibility was probably obvious for some people but gently caress it, it blew my mind)

EDIT: vvv If that's gonna be true then boy am I gonna feel stupid

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jul 2, 2012

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I could have sworn that Dave explicitly mentioned at some point long ago that Bro was a writer for GameBro and that was the only reason he even had the magazine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

Ominous Jazz posted:

Well, before the inevitable lock I would like to post my thirteen page thesis on why Vriska is objectively the most character in Homestuck.
You see

Even a broken Vriskaclock is right twice a day.