Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Thanks guys n gals. Went with the arroz con leche. Very tasty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BART IM PISS
Aug 4, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Tipping in the US.

A friend of mine, we are Australians, is about to do a US trip.

What the hell is tipping , what is the amount, when/where is it cool or not to tip...etc...

I have looked on the nets and its everything from 10% and 20% , with related "10%=youre unhappy with the meal" stuff...

Need some thoughts on this.

Rough itinerary : Los Angeles,Vegas, New Orleans, Tennesee, Little Rock?, NY, Texas, Vegas, back to L.A.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Beef Darts posted:

Tipping in the US.

What the hell is tipping , what is the amount, when/where is it cool or not to tip...etc...

I have looked on the nets and its everything from 10% and 20% , with related "10%=youre unhappy with the meal" stuff...

Rough itinerary : Los Angeles,Vegas, New Orleans, Tennesee, Little Rock?, NY, Texas, Vegas, back to L.A.
Servers in America are paid very badly, below minimum wage. $2.13/hr, when US federal minimum wage is $7.25/hr. This is perfectly legal, by the way. This is where tips come in. Tips are cash that they keep, or that are split at the end of the night between all front staff.

Frankly, given how little servers are paid, please tip 20%. When at a bar, the common custom I follow is $1 per drink. Even if you're unhappy, please don't punish your server. I've been at restaurants where the servers are so overworked that service will, by necessity, be pretty bad, and where the food comes out late, cold, etc. Neither of these things have to do with the server.

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

Beef Darts posted:

Tipping in the US.

Tipping is giving money above and beyond what the meal/service costs. We tip our tattoo artists, so a $500 inkjob might end up $600 with tip. We tip our bartenders $1 per drink (or order if it's something simple like a round of beers). This is because, as GoRP pointed out, our serving staff are paid not so great. So unless your server is actually rude to you, please tip 20%. In some places the busboys, hosts, and others have to share tips with the waitstaff, so please don't take it out on everyone if one part isn't awesome.

And even if some part of the service is horrible, if you sit through the whole goddamned thing you'd better be tipping 15%. For a handy tip on how to do that quickly (a lot of folks here have problems with it for some reason), divide your total bill by 10 and remember that number. Then divide that number in half and combine the two that you got. For example:

Meal for two comes to $55, service was kinda lovely but you don't want to be a dick so you want to tip 15%.
Divide 55 by 10 to get 5.50
Divide 5.5 by 2 to get 2.75

$5.50 + $2.75 = $8.25
or
$55 * .15 = $8.25

But yeah. Always always always leave a tip. Basically if someone does a thing for you as part of their job, you tip them. Those dudes in front of swanky hotels who flag down cabs for you? Tip 'em a dollar. Someone valets your car? $5 unless they poo poo in the back seat. Then it's $1. Even though we're supposedly the richest people in the world, our service people don't usually get paid well. Leave 'em a tip.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Powdered Toast Man posted:

I don't have any houseplants, which is what's puzzling. Initially I suspected the sink garbage disposal so I started cleaning it more often and that didn't make a difference. I've also never seen them around the disposal, so...

I tried one of those sticky trap things you hang up and it did gently caress all, and smelled like poo poo. I also tried the dish of apple cider vinegar with a bit of sugar in it and they ignored it. I have radioactive super-gnats or something.

Put out a shot of any kind of schnapps or sweet liquor. Amaretto or peach schnapps work well.

We also had a jam jar of mead dregs from bottling that I left the lid off of by accident, and in the morning it had 30 or 40 in it. I don't even know where they came from, we didn't see any flying around the previous night. :psyduck:

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
As a member of the restaurant community, I would agree with most everything except the actual % of tipping. I wouldn't blindly tip 20% -- it's not like they won't let you out of the restaurant or anything. Don't punish the server if the kitchen sucks or they're clearly overworked/being poo poo on, but don't reward your server's bad behavior (this is just my opinion, I won't start a flamewar).

I always go to 18-20%-ish if the service is great, and 15%ish if it's not. If I'm paying on a card, I usually just round to whatever number is closest.. I really don't think calculators and pennies are necessary.

And if I have cash, I usually try and tip with cash instead of a credit card when possible (just leave the tip line of the bill blank, they'll get it). Bird in the hand, and all that.

I appreciate that you are asking about the customs and practices of tipping -- yes they are a bit strange. It definitely sounds like a great trip! Is it a pleasure trip? Food based? Those are some pretty good cities on the whole.

Turkeybone fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jun 29, 2012

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
How do people roast their chickens? I love a good roast chicken. I used to dislike chicken growing up, but that's because my mother would always use lovely chickens and cook the moisture out of the drat thing. But thanks to my co-op's lovely chickens, I have learned to love the noble bird.

I roast mine pretty straightforwardly. I stuff it with rosemary and a few crushed cloves of garlic, coat the skin with a healthy amount of butter, crack some pepper on top, rob down with a generous amount of kosher salt, and toss a splash of wine (whatever I have on hand) in the roasting pan. I quarter a red onion, toss one quarter in the chicken, and lay the slices on the bottom. I'm not really all that precise, I just throw some on the bottom because I like roasted onions. I use a clay roaster, so I put the oven at 400F and cook the chicken for 55 minutes, then remove, lid-on, and let it sit for 10 minutes. Then I remove the lid, let it sit for another 10 minutes, then eat.

Basically I want to learn how to make the Greatest Roast Chicken possible. It impresses people, sure, but it's also loving delicious and a great dinner for the middle of the week. Oh, and there are always leftovers and stock bones!

Ghost of Reagan Past fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jun 29, 2012

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

http://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/06/19/one-dish-at-the-nomad/

While this is not really the Tuesday night roast chicken you might be looking for, this is the new hotness in chicken these days.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Turkeybone posted:

While this is not really the Tuesday night roast chicken you might be looking for, this is the new hotness in chicken these days.
:aaaaa:

That is the greatest roast chicken I have ever seen, I want to eat that.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Turkeybone posted:

Jesus loving christ - that looks utterly incredible. How much does something like that cost per entree?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

The Midniter posted:

Jesus loving christ - that looks utterly incredible. How much does something like that cost per entree?

$78; serves two.
http://www.thenomadhotel.com/#/dining/menus/dinner

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Turkeybone posted:

That looks and sounds downright ridiculous.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:
I like everything about that except where they show you your food and take it away for 3 minutes before bringing it back. I mean I get the point and all but I would be pretty agitated during that time.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Charmmi posted:

I like everything about that except where they show you your food and take it away for 3 minutes before bringing it back. I mean I get the point and all but I would be pretty agitated during that time.
They should do it at the table.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

For roast chicken, I usually do this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zxm1vPwUQDY

simple and delicious

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
On the tipping thing, since you are coming in on vacation and whatnot, please also be sure to tip your taxi drivers. I tried for about 10% when I was last in Vegas

As Turkeybone said, don't tip blindly and don't reward bad behavior.

If my food comes to the table cold, or underdone or tastes bad, that's not the waitstaff's fault. I will ask them to do what they can to repair the problem though, and if the problem is fixed, I will tip better than normal.

If the service is bad, (rude waitstaff is probably the biggest) the tip gets shrunk. If I'm really feeling like a dick I'd give it all in coins. Preferably Canadian pennies.

I have heard that it's best to give tips in cash whenever possible as the establishment can screw the waitstaff over if it is done via credit. Don't recall the specifics.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

How do people roast their chickens? I love a good roast chicken.
If the bird is around three pounds I'd do it this way, and if it's much larger I'd do it this way.

Why isn't roasting a chicken in the wiki or something? Seems to come up every couple pages.

Edit:

Casu Marzu posted:

For roast chicken, I usually do this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zxm1vPwUQDY

simple and delicious
I wonder why he's sprinkling the thyme on the exterior of the bird at the start. I've always stashed leafy herbs in the cavity, then basted with the liquid afterward, to avoid singing the herbs. Consequence of using a residential oven instead of a commercial-grade one?

Also, whenever I see Keller in a video I'm always fascinated by how bad his manual skills seem to be. Or not bad, but really unpolished. Like he's got all this knowledge and technique and then he goes to halve that bird and it's saw-saw-saw.

SubG fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jun 29, 2012

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

CuddleChunks posted:

Stew them! :dance:

Mushrooms, tomatoes, green bell peppers, onions, some thyme and oregano and a bit of butter and oil. Brown up the quarters in butter and oil, remove from pan. Sautee mushrooms and onions in butter, throw in peppers and tomatoes and re-add the quarters. Add some salt and pepper and the herbs and braise that hot mess until your chicken is falling off the bone tender. You can throw in some red wine too while it cooks down. Throw some down your throat too!

Pull the quarters and rip off the meat into big chunks. Stir it up in the tomatoey stew sauce and then serve over some egg noodles. Try like hell not to jam it all into your face in one sitting.

Freezes remarkably well.

Thrasher posted:

That sounds amazing.. but since 3kg is a lot, you could do 1/2 with this stew and 1/2 as chicken soup:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Chicken-Soup-with-Root-Vegetables-360590

grill/roast the chicken first.. then follow the recipe above..

Bee avatars! Oh my!

Thanks! I doubt I have a container to do it all at once (I do have a gently caress-off huge dutch oven for one person, but I'd be crowding it and... I probably wouldn't be able to lift it if it was full) but roasting half for soup while braising the other half at least allows me to use other containers that aren't several kg each.

BART IM PISS
Aug 4, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Awesome, I thank you both for the detailed information!

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

MailboxFullOfBombs posted:

I took a college trip to Ireland about 5 years ago and one thing I've been wondering about since was the bread our hotel served. Every dinner they would have a basket of really great bread laid out with butter as a snack before they took our orders and served the food. It had the consistency of a nice moist cake. Really filling, too. It was a really good change from the light, sugary bread here in America. I know this isn't much of a description to go on, but does anybody know what kind of bread I'm thinking of?

Late as gently caress but I suspect wheaten bread.

I see that there.
Aug 6, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

How do people roast their chickens? I love a good roast chicken. I used to dislike chicken growing up, but that's because my mother would always use lovely chickens and cook the moisture out of the drat thing. But thanks to my co-op's lovely chickens, I have learned to love the noble bird.

I roast mine pretty straightforwardly. I stuff it with rosemary and a few crushed cloves of garlic, coat the skin with a healthy amount of butter, crack some pepper on top, rob down with a generous amount of kosher salt, and toss a splash of wine (whatever I have on hand) in the roasting pan. I quarter a red onion, toss one quarter in the chicken, and lay the slices on the bottom. I'm not really all that precise, I just throw some on the bottom because I like roasted onions. I use a clay roaster, so I put the oven at 400F and cook the chicken for 55 minutes, then remove, lid-on, and let it sit for 10 minutes. Then I remove the lid, let it sit for another 10 minutes, then eat.

Basically I want to learn how to make the Greatest Roast Chicken possible. It impresses people, sure, but it's also loving delicious and a great dinner for the middle of the week. Oh, and there are always leftovers and stock bones!

I always brine my chicken, whether roasting, grilling, whatever. Have you tried that? I tend to keep my brine relatively simple, but substitute honey for whatever the recipe calls for sugar, and use very low sodium vegetable stock instead of water (the name of the stock I use is "More than gourmet" if you're interested), makes it absolutely phenomenal. And, as long as you take the bird out of the brine, dry it off and let it sit in the fridge for a bit, the skin still crisps up very, very nicely.

On another note:
I went to the farmers market today and picked up some ground venison. I also happen to have 85% lean ground veal. If I mix a lb of veal with 2 lbs of venison will that be enough fat content for a decent burger? It doesn't have to be "perfect", but enough? Was thinking just the meat, a small splash of milk and an egg yolk for binder. Good deal?

I've been trying to come up with a cool name for a veal/venison burger, as well. Flying V's, Double V's, dunno. Needs some panache, you know?

edit:vvv

Bluedeanie posted:

I have a recipe that calls for 3 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules. If I am trying to be sodium-conscious and want to sub in a much less salty broth, what ratio would I use?

The only way to get less sodium is to use "less", there isn't really a ratio. No matter how you slice it you're sacrificing the chicken flavor of the broth by using less bouillon.

Too late to run out for some low sodium stock or bouillon alternative?
ee: Ah, I see, I was misunderstanding you, sorry :) Bouillon typically reconstitutes at one cube to 8oz of water, I would imagine that "a cube" equates to a teaspoon of powdered bouillon, so that 24 oz of stock would be needed as an equivalent in terms of flavor.

I see that there. fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jun 30, 2012

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

^^^ That's what I was asking. I'll get some low sodium broth, but I was wondering if I could use three tablespoons of broth to fit a recipe needing three tablespoons of bouillon, or if I would use a different amount, (like one tablespoon broth equates to one and a half tablespoons bouillon, for example.) I've never used bouillon so I wasn't sure.

I have a recipe that calls for 3 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules. If I am trying to be sodium-conscious and want to sub in a much less salty broth, what ratio would I use?

VVV awesome, thanks. This got awfully edited.

Bluedeanie fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jun 30, 2012

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
I've never tried it....but several websites say this.

quote:

Chicken Stock
For the most true-to-the-recipe taste, chicken stock or broth (either fresh or canned) is by far the best alternative. Since bouillon granules are essentially dehydrated stock crystals, this option will not noticeably alter most recipes. Substitute one cup chicken broth for one teaspoon granules (or one cup prepared bouillon).

Read more: Substitutes for Chicken Bouillon | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/list_6002164_substitutes-chicken-bouillon.html#ixzz1zIgod7S6

Dependind on your recipe that may be way too much liquid.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jun 30, 2012

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Ok, last question. I got some unsalted chicken broth in lieu of the much saltier bouillon. The recipe, which is for a simple chicken-flavored rice side, called for three tablespoons of the bouillon and two cups of water. Could I just do two cups of broth as a substitution for both the water and the bouillon? That seems like it would make sense to me, but I am obviously very new and bad at cooking still so I figured I'd ask.

Thanks for all the help :)

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Bluedeanie posted:

Ok, last question. I got some unsalted chicken broth in lieu of the much saltier bouillon. The recipe, which is for a simple chicken-flavored rice side, called for three tablespoons of the bouillon and two cups of water. Could I just do two cups of broth as a substitution for both the water and the bouillon? That seems like it would make sense to me, but I am obviously very new and bad at cooking still so I figured I'd ask.

Thanks for all the help :)

Yeah, just use 2 cups of broth. Always taste your food for seasoning, too. If it tastes bland, add salt.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Can I use my kitchen aid sausage grinder to grind almonds to make almond flour?

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

One of the things I must do whenever I am in Orlando is have a night at Shula's in the Dolphin hotel. The steak there (especially the bone-in cowboy ribeye) is like a religious experience. I've eaten at the Palm in Atlanta and it was nearly as good (and their wedge salad was awesome).

I figure that the biggest difference between what they are serving and what I'm buying at my local Publix is that it is probably dry aged prime verses plain Jane choice.

I've been thinking of getting some dry aged prime shipped to my house to see if I can come close to duplicating the taste, but the places I find in google vary enormously in price, from around
30 dollars per steak to near 100.

Does anyone have any experience with mail-order dry aged prime beef, especially bone-in ribeyes? Can someone recommend an on-line source? There are no butcher shops near me.

Thanks in advance.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Anyone know any good marinades? I know simple soy sauce one, but I'm looking for something new.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

Enter Char posted:

Anyone know any good marinades? I know simple soy sauce one, but I'm looking for something new.

Here is a nice southwest marinade:

1 medium onion, chopped
1/3 cup lime juice
2 tbsp chopped cilantro
3 fresh jalapeño peppers, seeded and finely chopped
3 tbsp water
2 tbsp oil
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp minced garlic
1/2 tsp ground red pepper
1/4 tsp salt

Combine all ingredients, combine meat and marinade in a sealable bag. Marinate for 6 to 24 hours, turning bag occasionally.

Note: this recipe is for 1 pound of beef, and is from the Better Homes and Gardens "The New Grilling Book".

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
I've finally found a local butcher shop that I really like (Pendle Hill Meat Market, for those in the Sydney area) that has decent prices and locally sourced meats. Still no luck finding a butcher that does bone-in pork shoulder though.

I picked up a 2KG pork neck though! I want to pop it into my new pressure cooker but I'm unable to find any recipes to follow, nor am I able to find any reliable cooking times for this cut. I was considering just browning the meat and some onions, popping it into the cooker with garlic, ground mustard seeds, chili powder, bbq sauce and some beer to make a bizzare approximation of pulled pork? 40-50 minutes at high pressure seems to be the general target for similiar cuts.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

How do you guys use MSG? I finally found a bag of it (pure, not mixed with salt). I've seen it in recipes, but I have no idea how to judge how to use it normally. I've never cooked with it before.

sc0tty
Jan 8, 2005

too kewell for school..

ahmeni posted:

I've finally found a local butcher shop that I really like (Pendle Hill Meat Market, for those in the Sydney area) that has decent prices and locally sourced meats. Still no luck finding a butcher that does bone-in pork shoulder though.

I picked up a 2KG pork neck though! I want to pop it into my new pressure cooker but I'm unable to find any recipes to follow, nor am I able to find any reliable cooking times for this cut. I was considering just browning the meat and some onions, popping it into the cooker with garlic, ground mustard seeds, chili powder, bbq sauce and some beer to make a bizzare approximation of pulled pork? 40-50 minutes at high pressure seems to be the general target for similiar cuts.

Was never disappointed by Havericks meats. http://www.haverickmeats.com.au/direct

I am planning to entertain an American friend for a fourth of July dinner. The plan was Boston Baked Beans as she is from New England , but other than that I'm coming up short for ideas.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a nice 4th of July (with a bit of a slant towards New England food) recipe?

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

sc0tty posted:

Was never disappointed by Havericks meats. http://www.haverickmeats.com.au/direct

Nice looking site and definitely a cool source of meat but they only list pork "Shoulder, Diced" and "Shoulder, Boneless" as options. The pork neck didn't turn out as well as I'd hoped and was much fattier than I originally thought.

quote:

I am planning to entertain an American friend for a fourth of July dinner. The plan was Boston Baked Beans as she is from New England , but other than that I'm coming up short for ideas.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a nice 4th of July (with a bit of a slant towards New England food) recipe?

New England Clam Chowder will fight this terrible Australian winter and it's drat tasty to boot. Keep in mind that it's a cream based chowder and the use of tomatoes is illegal.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Grand Fromage posted:

How do you guys use MSG? I finally found a bag of it (pure, not mixed with salt). I've seen it in recipes, but I have no idea how to judge how to use it normally. I've never cooked with it before.

Very sparingly, as a little goes a long way. It sort-of behaves like salt, so you'll be fine if you sprinkle it onto something raw, however it really shines when you're wanting to bump up the general flavour of something that's lacking a little something. For example, if you've got a noodle soup that's pretty, and has plenty of things going on in there, but whose stock isn't all it can be? Throw in a scant 1/4 tsp of MSG, and stir it through. Taste again, and the rest of the flavours will have woken up somehow. It's lovely stuff, but doesn't need to be heaved in like the manufacturers would have you believe.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Hey, wasn't there a mead thread in here? I was thinking of maybe making some for my bros graduation as he's really into the Viking stuff and he just turned 20 to boot. I Ctrl+F-ed for Mead but didn't find anything, does anyone remember it?

Colinrobinson
Apr 10, 2005

Yeah I'm not positive what my deal is either, so I just sort of keep on truckin'
This question is more of a restaurant etiquette question than a cooking question per se, but I don't know of a better thread, so here goes:

I went out for Thai food at a restaurant near me that was rated reasonably well, and I ordered the Papaya Salad and Laab as an entree. The waitress asked about the papaya salad "Is it ok to make it our normal spicy?" to which I responded "Yes, please, very spicy!". When I ordered the Laab, I asked for "Thai Hot" as instructed by their menu, but only the Papaya Salad was reasonably spicy -- the Laab was tasty to be sure, and I had no problems with it, but it was most definitely not screaming hot.

I did not want to be rude and insult the food by claiming it just wasn't spicy enough, but is there any reasonably appropriate way to convince waitstaff at restaurants of "spicy" cuisines to truly believe you when you ask for your dish as spicy as someone from their actual country would enjoy it? So this isn't really limited to Thai, but also Indian, Caribbean, etc.

I absolutely loathe being a pushy customer, but I also really want to impress upon them that I will really enjoy their dish at "full blast" if at all possible.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

IanCaw posted:

This question is more of a restaurant etiquette question than a cooking question per se, but I don't know of a better thread, so here goes:

I went out for Thai food at a restaurant near me that was rated reasonably well, and I ordered the Papaya Salad and Laab as an entree. The waitress asked about the papaya salad "Is it ok to make it our normal spicy?" to which I responded "Yes, please, very spicy!". When I ordered the Laab, I asked for "Thai Hot" as instructed by their menu, but only the Papaya Salad was reasonably spicy -- the Laab was tasty to be sure, and I had no problems with it, but it was most definitely not screaming hot.

I did not want to be rude and insult the food by claiming it just wasn't spicy enough, but is there any reasonably appropriate way to convince waitstaff at restaurants of "spicy" cuisines to truly believe you when you ask for your dish as spicy as someone from their actual country would enjoy it? So this isn't really limited to Thai, but also Indian, Caribbean, etc.

I absolutely loathe being a pushy customer, but I also really want to impress upon them that I will really enjoy their dish at "full blast" if at all possible.
"As spicy as you would eat it."

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

IanCaw posted:

Could be a multitude of things. Could be an honest mistake. Which it's safe to be polite and ask for it spicier. Emphasis on polite. Remember they may not completely understand your words, but your demeanor and tone is fully understandable. Smile and laugh a lot.

Could be them presuming you were kidding, after all they may be jaded from Americans not appreciating their food.

Could just be a bad restaurant. Maybe they themselves can't handle spicy either. This is a thing no matter which culture, some people just don't like it. Weird I know.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
It could also be that they get a lot of people asking for spicy and then they don't like it because it's too spicy. To make myself very clear if I want something spicy I normally ask for it "Extra super spicy" and that seems to get the point across for me.

If you are polite, I don't see a problem with you asking for it spicier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sc0tty
Jan 8, 2005

too kewell for school..

ahmeni posted:

Nice looking site and definitely a cool source of meat but they only list pork "Shoulder, Diced" and "Shoulder, Boneless" as options. The pork neck didn't turn out as well as I'd hoped and was much fattier than I originally thought.

New England Clam Chowder will fight this terrible Australian winter and it's drat tasty to boot. Keep in mind that it's a cream based chowder and the use of tomatoes is illegal.

http://www.vicsmeat.com.au/ is also good and right near it. I've never used either website, but they are super busy on Saturdays and go through loads of meet. At Vic's they will butcher it on request if your order is big or specific enough. Don't be afraid to ask about the Shoulder with bone in, because there is definitely stuff there that isn't on the site.

Currently living in London, but the summer is about on par with an Australian winter. Will check out the chowder.