Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

WickedIcon posted:

I can do that last thing? Definitely going to drop slowbeef an email about that (especially since I should probably do that anyways regarding the game's 3-month-rule status).

The 3-month thing is fine if the dev gave you permission.

You can't resize down to 682x384? ...Wait, how is this game running at 1364x768 resolution? Are you sure that's the default?

I don't PC game, so if someone wants to correct me, isn't that an odd resolution?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

slowbeef posted:

You can't resize down to 682x384? ...Wait, how is this game running at 1364x768 resolution? Are you sure that's the default?

I don't PC game, so if someone wants to correct me, isn't that an odd resolution?

It's not super odd, that's a common laptop resolution. I guess he's running the game in fullscreen/the game is fullscreen+native resolution only?

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

WickedIcon posted:

The game will not seem to run in any resolution below 1366x768, and resizing the screenshots makes them look terrible. Fortunately, I can thumbnail them with LPix, which may or may not make it a little easier on everyone.

A whole LP of thumbnailed images is going to be pretty annoying to read.

If resizing makes the images look bad, it's most likely because you're resizing them wrong. Even if half-size would make the text annoyingly small, I bet could still look pretty decent at 800 pixels wide.

cKnoor
Nov 2, 2000

I built this thumb out of two nails, a broken bottle and some razorwire.
Slippery Tilde

TraumaticRatio posted:

Well, this is a semi-redo for the last test post I had. Semi, meaning that I changed the commentary as well as rendering in HD. The gameplay is the same as well as the colors still being tinted. And for those who don't know, the colors are tinted because I was messing with the Dazzle contrast settings a while back, but I've set them back to normal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXJKmAzeZpM

Wasn't Resident Evil 2 played in 4:3? The aspect ratio seems pretty odd even if it's supposed to be 16:9.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

TraumaticRatio posted:

Well, this is a semi-redo for the last test post I had. Semi, meaning that I changed the commentary as well as rendering in HD. The gameplay is the same as well as the colors still being tinted. And for those who don't know, the colors are tinted because I was messing with the Dazzle contrast settings a while back, but I've set them back to normal.

You seem more energized but I think you still have to work out your technical issues. I see interlacing, and rendering in HD won't fix such unideal source video material.

RandomNinja
Sep 14, 2011

Protector of the innocent, assassin of the unjust, and a lover of delicious, sweet, creamy Ice cream.
This ain't no Grimm fairy Tail: Let's Play The Witcher (SSLP)

What is this game?
The Witcher is an Action RPG (Role-Playing Game) developped by CD Projekt Red and released in 2007. It uses Bioware's Aurora Engine, which you may remember from Neverwinter Nights. It was later re-released with the "Enhanced Edition" moniker and sported greatly reduced load times (which were abyssmally long), over 200 new animations, additional NPC models, and corrected dialogue. It's also been said that the enhanced edition corrected all bugs, and while I've never experienced any, I cannot verify the truthfulness of this statement. Additionally, the Enhanced Edition was released with(or was updated with, depending on if you bought the original or not,) two premium adventure modules, "The Price of Neutrality" and "Side Effects", as well as an updated version of CD Projekts proprietary adventure editor.

I heard this was adapted from some short stories. Is that true?
Yes, it is indeed, although there's a bit more to it than that. The Witcher did originally start out as a short story, but after it's initial success the author, Andrzej Sapkowski, began writing a novelized series on the adventures of Geralt. The events of the game take place 5 years after the book series and while it is a good adaption, there are many inconsistencies with the original works.

Inconsistencies? Does this mean you've read the books?
Unfortunately, only the short story and first novel in the series have been released in English, but I will be pointing out the key inconsistencies based on information provided here

Why an SSLP? Doesn't this game have a lot of cutscenes?
In a way it does, but alternatively it doesn't. A lot of what's presented as non-interactive gameplay is exposition, and that amount of dialogue can be just as easily transcribed as it could be recorded, and a large part of the combat, which while fun, is repetitive. It also doesn't lend itself well to video because much of the game is running back and forth between characters for :words: or fighting Random Generic Mook #9347 and killing it in two hits, especially later in the game. I do, however, plan on making videos of the boss fights, if they seem interesting enough, or take long enough.

What about those adventure packs? What are they?
The official adventure packs are two stories being recounted by the esteemed bard Dandelion about the main character. While they don't tie in to the story directly, they provide interesting fluff about the characters and the game world, so I may play them, but only after completing the main game.

Also, please, no spoilers. This game relies heavily on exposition to hold the player's interest (and the viewers' as well in this case) and spoilers could potentially ruin the atmosphere.

Also, if anyone has any information they would like to share about the game then by all means go ahead and post it in the thread. I'd love to find out more about this game.

Updates
Update 1: And so our story begins

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

vilkacis posted:

A whole LP of thumbnailed images is going to be pretty annoying to read.

More accurately, a whole LP of thumbnailed images is a great way to get nobody to read your LP.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

RandomNinja posted:

So a couple of things; first off this might be a hard sell as I think within the last year and half, people have seen the opening act of the Witcher about four times (and I'm sure someone will point out PoorWeather's current LP of Witcher going on right now, but nothing wrong with multiple LP's at times). Secondly in regards to screenshots, you have two repeating where the main character falls on the ground and I think you had maybe two screenshots that were just black screens (followed beforehand by 'And the screen fades to black'); this is going a bit overboard in regards to stating the obvious. Maybe making a few gifs to show actions would help, but you need to be careful skating that line of 'Hey, the sky is blue' as opposed to saying 'It's a nice normal day out'. Thirdly, I noticed some of your italicized comments didn't end in periods which isn't a big deal but still a minor issue I suppose.

In regards to the screenshots, I'd also almost want to ask if maybe record in a lower resolution might make the in-game text a little bit bigger because currently it's a bit hard to make out the in-game subtitles. Also if an in-game subtitle states something then you probably don't need to have the next line in your LP be that repeated line.

RandomNinja
Sep 14, 2011

Protector of the innocent, assassin of the unjust, and a lover of delicious, sweet, creamy Ice cream.

Niggurath posted:

So a couple of things; first off this might be a hard sell as I think within the last year and half, people have seen the opening act of the Witcher about four times (and I'm sure someone will point out PoorWeather's current LP of Witcher going on right now, but nothing wrong with multiple LP's at times). Secondly in regards to screenshots, you have two repeating where the main character falls on the ground and I think you had maybe two screenshots that were just black screens (followed beforehand by 'And the screen fades to black'); this is going a bit overboard in regards to stating the obvious. Maybe making a few gifs to show actions would help, but you need to be careful skating that line of 'Hey, the sky is blue' as opposed to saying 'It's a nice normal day out'. Thirdly, I noticed some of your italicized comments didn't end in periods which isn't a big deal but still a minor issue I suppose.

In regards to the screenshots, I'd also almost want to ask if maybe record in a lower resolution might make the in-game text a little bit bigger because currently it's a bit hard to make out the in-game subtitles. Also if an in-game subtitle states something then you probably don't need to have the next line in your LP be that repeated line.

I did not even see the other LP, which is why I started the LP. And as much as there's no problem with multiple LPs, I have no doubt that PoorWeather is showing all of the same stuff that I would. I appreciate the advice though. I'll take that in to consideration the next time I try an LP. :v:

E; Also, the reason I typed up the dialogue that was in the subtitles was because I knew the subtitles might be a little muddy. I'll re-record the footage at a lower resolution though. Try to set that up some time tomorrow.

RandomNinja fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jun 30, 2012

Mezurya
Dec 31, 2011

That's how I do!

RandomNinja posted:

I did not even see the other LP, which is why I started the LP. And as much as there's no problem with multiple LPs, I have no doubt that PoorWeather is showing all of the same stuff that I would. I appreciate the advice though. I'll take that in to consideration the next time I try an LP. :v:

Make sure to check here before you start planning an LP. It'll let you know if someone else is doing the game. But like Niggurath said, that's perfectly fine :)

TraumaticRatio posted:

The commentary is better, but you still aren't speaking very naturally. It's not a big deal, I have that problem too when I record alone. Have you considered looking up a partner to co-commentate? I think everyone on the forums has either played or seen RE2 before in their lives, so I don't think too many people would mind it if there was a lot of talking going on (as long as there's no talking over dialogue, of course).

You could try doing live commentary too, if that would help. Some people are better at post and some are better at live.

If you post another test, post one with rerecorded video. Show us what the finished product would look like.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Didn't PoorWeather stop again, though?

RandomNinja
Sep 14, 2011

Mezurya posted:

Make sure to check here before you start planning an LP. It'll let you know if someone else is doing the game. But like Niggurath said, that's perfectly fine :)

I searched, I think I just skipped over it though. even now when I searched extra hard for it I only spotted it once. Maybe I just suck at looking. Although i did find it on the 10th page looking on the subforum.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Volt Catfish posted:

Didn't PoorWeather stop again, though?
Nah, she posted an update like a month ago; you missed the great betting between Xander and Syrg over whether or not she'd update it again. Really though, I'd say it should be fine; some people prefer screenshots over video, so it's not like you'd be stepping on toes. But please do consider the other things I pointed out if you do want to go ahead.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Niggurath posted:

Nah, she posted an update like a month ago; you missed the great betting between Xander and Syrg over whether or not she'd update it again.

Still lookin' forward to winning that bet.

Sientara
May 27, 2012

Tochikans? - Let's Play Monster Rancher 3

Monster Rancher 3 is the first Monster Rancher game published on the Playstation 2. It's mechanics are simpler than the previous games, which have their good and bad points. I'll go over these as they are encountered.

I intend for this to be an interactive LP, letting the goons vote on the monsters generated.

Update 1

Didja Redo
Jan 24, 2010

Wanna try my freedom meat BBQ meat?
Transcribe that intro, man! Or non-man! There's no need to have ten screenshots in a row when the only thing changing is the text.

Also you don't have to make
characters talk like this. You
can just put it all on one
line.

Mezurya
Dec 31, 2011

That's how I do!

Sientara posted:

Tochikans? - Let's Play Monster Rancher 3

Monster Rancher 3 is the first Monster Rancher game published on the Playstation 2. It's mechanics are simpler than the previous games, which have their good and bad points. I'll go over these as they are encountered.

I intend for this to be an interactive LP, letting the goons vote on the monsters generated.

Update 1

I don't see a problem with the pictures. However, I'm not liking how the text is being written. It's a bit off-putting to have
all the sentences
do this.

I know you're probably just doing it because the game does it, but that's not necessary. It doesn't work here because the character icons take up a lot of space, and the lines are all weird lengths. It just looks odd. It'd look better as just one paragraph.

I also suggest making all of the character icons the same size too, and possible making them a bit smaller.

Edit: awww, drat, Didja Redo beat me to it. And yeah, if you have a bunch of pictures that are all text, type it out.

And wait, I just saw something. did you use this twice in a row on purpose?

It looks like there was supposed to be a different pic there. Unless you did it as a joke and it just went over my head.

Mezurya fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jun 30, 2012

MellowHype
Jun 6, 2012

Oh how that plumber danced!

Mezurya posted:

The commentary is better, but you still aren't speaking very naturally. It's not a big deal, I have that problem too when I record alone. Have you considered looking up a partner to co-commentate? I think everyone on the forums has either played or seen RE2 before in their lives, so I don't think too many people would mind it if there was a lot of talking going on (as long as there's no talking over dialogue, of course).

You could try doing live commentary too, if that would help. Some people are better at post and some are better at live.

If you post another test, post one with rerecorded video. Show us what the finished product would look like.

I can do the rerecord part. And thanks for the feedback about the commentary, I appreciate it. Well, I'll try to find a co-commentator but it might take a while. But still, I'll try. Thanks to everyone else as well for the feedback.

Sientara
May 27, 2012

Mezurya posted:

I don't see a problem with the pictures. However, I'm not liking how the text is being written. It's a bit off-putting to have
all the sentences
do this.

I know you're probably just doing it because the game does it, but that's not necessary. It doesn't work here because the character icons take up a lot of space, and the lines are all weird lengths. It just looks odd. It'd look better as just one paragraph.

I also suggest making all of the character icons the same size too, and possible making them a bit smaller.

Edit: awww, drat, Didja Redo beat me to it. And yeah, if you have a bunch of pictures that are all text, type it out.

And wait, I just saw something. did you use this twice in a row on purpose?

It looks like there was supposed to be a different pic there. Unless you did it as a joke and it just went over my head.

Thanks for the suggestions, I figured I would get something wonky without a test post. I have changed the text to flow better and have transcribed the wall-o-pics at the beginning. I have also re-sized the portraits to match in size.

The picture was a mis-paste, not sure how I missed that. :blush:

Updated test post here

Any additional critiques, or comments are appreciated.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

slowbeef posted:

1366x768. Fraps is just cutting off a bit on the side for some reason.

And I'll try resizing it to 800px wide. Hopefully that'll look a little better.

e: ...I feel like a loving moron. 800px wide looks fine. Hold on, uploading the changed pic to LPix and editing the test post.

Any other issues with the LP? The format might be a little offputting with how short the updates are going to have to be most of the time, but I plan on updating at a fast enough clip to offset that, so.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Hey guys!
Take a look at my test post, and yell at me if you must.
Upfront i want to say, that the screens are a tad large, but otherwise the on-screen text would be muddy and hard on the eyes. Also i do not want to sacrifice more details than i have to. That's it i guess.

Edit:Yeah, typos are in there. I worked for some hours straight on this and they slipped through. Point them out if you must, but i'll fix em before posting. Hopefully.

Edit2: replaced Png with Jpeg

"What the gently caress is a Pipboy? All i got is this Id card." Let's play: The Fall- Last days of Gaia

Hello, and welcome to Let's play: The Fall: Last days of Gaia.

So what's all this then?
The Fall, as we call it from now on, is a squad based, post apocalyptic, 3D Rpg with real time/pause combat.
It is heavily influenced by the great series of Fallout games, and is arguably not bad. It is just a little bad, but we'll cross those bridges when we get there.
Aside from the post apocalyptic thing, the game features a meaty dialouge/quest system, exploring, voice acting, vehicles, looting, squad interaction, special skill mechanics/actions and a lot of character customization. Sounds good so far, eh?

But there are shadows looming on the horizon.
It was released in 2004, by the german studio "Silver Style Entertainment". They previously made such titles as, "Simon the sorcerer 4+5" and "Soldiers of Anarchy".
While it was in development, the signs were good. People liked what the developers made public, and the spirit of "Oh boy, another Fallout!" roared through the web. Some game magazines even went so far, as to label it a serious Gothic 2 competition. Well...it wasn't.

So why did it fail?
Well, if you're not playing video games since yesterday, you can probably guess the reason. A rushed and totally bugged release. The game was pretty much not playable, due to crashes and horrid bugs. Also the Va was really low quality, probably to cut on disc space. The developers made a follow-up patch, which fixed some of the issues. But the damage was already done, and their ship was sinking.
Against all odds, they managed to cling to the product and ultimately released the "Extended Edition". This release fixed more bugs, and polished some things, and also came with a whooping 1Gb of quality Va. This may seem extreme at first glance, but you have to take into account, that your guy has a clip for every little thing in the world. Be it a random chest, barrel or a scrap of wood. Also important Npc's are fully voiced, and unit members have some lines too. A lot of effort, if you ask me.

But the release couldn't save the game, and it vanished into obscurity. Though the more determined Fallout communities around the world, still gladly bought the last version. SSE was eventually bought by "The Games Company", as an in-house development studio. In a fitting end to this story, TGC also went bankrupt eventually, and SSE reopend as an indy studio and develops MMORPG's now. Yeah...

So, let me show you this game. Because it still has a lot of good things, despite the awful story I just told you. I will be playing the extended release, with an english translation patch made by fans. Sadly the Va is still german, so you will miss out on that. I will do intermission/bonus updates, to tell you more poo poo and show ingame lore or things that would drag down actual updates. On top of that, i have some things planned but you'll have to wait till they come.

Thread conduct
On the small chance that anyone has played this, please no spoilers!
The story is not really Shakespeare, but we still shouldn't ruin it for everyone else.

So, join me on a trip to the wasteland..

1. A large order of plot with a serving of mechanics.

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jul 1, 2012

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Tin Tim posted:

"What the gently caress is a Pipboy? All i got is this Id card." Let's play: The Fall- Last days of Gaia

Your screenshots are gigantic. Not area wise, filesize. Each picture is nearly a megabyte in size. For anything relatively new with lots of colors on screen, you need to be using JPEGs and not PNGs.

Case in point:

One of your screenshots

The same thing in JPEG, reducing filesize by about 85%

Same song

Second verse

Edit: Oh yeah, the quality setting I used for the JPEGs was 85 because GIMP defaults to it.

Explosionface fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jun 30, 2012

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Explosionface posted:

Your screenshots are gigantic. Not area wise, filesize. Each picture is nearly a megabyte in size. For anything relatively new with lots of colors on screen, you need to be using JPEGs and not PNGs.

Well, color me surprised!
I was under the impression that Jpeg would generally loose too much quality, and be blurry. Hope i can batch convert them with Irfanview, and still reach the same result.

Fixing that now.

Edit:fixed

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jul 1, 2012

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
Hey guys, wondering if you could please give me some feedback on this OP and SSLP test post:

Can't make an omelette without stealing some eggs - Let's Play Amerzone

What is Amerzone?

Amerzone is a first-person adventure game in the style of Myst. Released in 1998, this game is the brainchild of Belgian comic artist Benoit Sokal. It's very much a dry run in game design, featuring the same esoteric fetchquest and lever-pulling puzzles that Myst was famous for, Amerzone makes up for it with raw creativity.

The story follows a nameless and silent journalist researching a story about Alexandre Valembois, a naturalist and explorer who visited the fictional Amerzone - an analogue to the Amazon with more fantastical creatures and ancient tribes. There's magic, there's adventure, and there are some stunningly beautiful images for their era.

What are you doing?

This is a narrative LP told through screenshots and videos of the game. I've noted in italics images that you can click to watch a short youtube clip of an in-game cutscene. Some of the cutscenes are really nice, and I highly recommend watching them.

Without any further ado, let's explore the Amerzone.

Chapter 1 - The Lighthouse
Part 1 - Meeting Valembois

RandomNinja
Sep 14, 2011

RandomNinja posted:

So I fixed the picture links (the duplicates were poor attention to detail, and the black screen at the end was me losing track of how many images I was into the update). I've also updated the commentary to try and avoid excessive pointing out the obvious, while still providing detail about the visuals that aren't seen.

Niggurath posted:

I tried doing that. but playing back the video kept giving me uncentered screenshots (which was weird) and even though I played in 800x600, the video is outputting at 1271x671(which is weirder). I'm going to keep messing around with the in-game settings to get everything straightened out, but until then, any advice, suggestions or critiques would be appreciated. It can be found here

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
I think I have Amerzone for PC sitting somewhere in my loft. I really enjoyed that game. It was also released on PlayStation, as I recall. As to the OP, it certainly looks cool, and I'd certainly follow that thread.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

Skippy Granola posted:

Can't make an omelette without stealing some eggs - Let's Play Amerzone

I only see one problem with the post, and that's not so much a problem with the post, as a problem with the game... drat, those letters are unreadable, for the most part!

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

JamieTheD posted:

I only see one problem with the post, and that's not so much a problem with the post, as a problem with the game... drat, those letters are unreadable, for the most part!

Yikes you're not kidding. Transcribing them would probably be for the best.

Zarah
Sep 30, 2010

SUCCESS
There's only one way to go from the top.
Obligatory Refrigerator Comment - Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb

If adventure has a name, it must be Indiana Jones.

Released in 2003, Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb is a fun little action-adventure game that follows the events surrounding a certain archeologist in 1935. It was developed by The Collective, Inc. and published by LucasArts. Although there haven't been many notable Indiana Jones games and I have only played a couple, I particularly like this one. It really captures the feeling of the Indiana Jones universe without leeching from it too much. It's all in the subtleties.

The gameplay in Emperor's Tomb is pretty similar to Tomb Raider or other such games, although there is a much bigger focus on melee combat instead of gunplay (it wouldn't be Indy if a brawl didn't erupt everywhere he went). Along the way, we'll be collecting plenty of other weapons and items to use in our adventures, like machine guns, grenades and demolition charges. Of course, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention our trusty whip as well.

If you've read this far and you aren't sure who this Indiana Jones fellow is, then I'd highly suggest you leave the thread and go watch the movies. Seriously, they're good. Go. I'll wait.

SPOILER POLICY: Don't spoil anything from the game before it shows up in the LP. There's not really a lot to spoil, but there's enough. However, you're open to talk freely about the movies and television series. Just keep things regarding the game quiet.

My two buddies Ketro and Crazed will be joining me for this LP once again. Neither of them have played this game, but we're all pretty familiar with Indiana Jones.

Episode 1 - Ceylon - Secret Entrance

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

JamieTheD posted:

Would it help if I upped the size on the typewritten ones? I can transcribe the handwritten letters and journal pages no problem, but eh, :effort:

Is that more legible? That's the full-size 640x480 image capture.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Skippy Granola posted:

Would it help if I upped the size on the typewritten ones? I can transcribe the handwritten letters and journal pages no problem, but eh, :effort:

Is that more legible? That's the full-size 640x480 image capture.

I think that looks pretty good. I do have to ask, though: why are your screenshots in the test post 600 x 450? It's just an odd size, especially if you're capturing at 640 x 480 as you seem to indicate.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

I just batch resized them down to keep the post from being too crazy long. 600 pixels wide is pretty good for an SSLP, I think, and I can make out what's going on pretty well.

600x450 is just proportionate.

http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=2249

So I added more content. I figured I could cram all of chapter 1 into one post, which I think works out nicely.

Also put some animated gifs in there but I had to make them slightly smaller so they'd come in under 2 megs.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Skippy Granola posted:

I just batch resized them down to keep the post from being too crazy long. 600 pixels wide is pretty good for an SSLP, I think, and I can make out what's going on pretty well.

600x450 is just proportionate.

http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=2249

So I added more content. I figured I could cram all of chapter 1 into one post, which I think works out nicely.

Also put some animated gifs in there but I had to make them slightly smaller so they'd come in under 2 megs.

40 pixels won't make much of a difference, and it means not dealing with resizing filters or batch jobs.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Fair point. I won't bother next post - this time around I think they're probably good enough, right?

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

Skippy Granola posted:

Fair point. I won't bother next post - this time around I think they're probably good enough, right?

Yeah, I'm fairly happy. One of the letters is still :words: , but that's alright, you sum it up very succinctly, and peeps can always come back to it later for reference. Otherwise, you look pretty good to go!

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Awesome! Thanks again guys. First SSLP so... clusterfuck ahoy!

MellowHype
Jun 6, 2012

Oh how that plumber danced!

Zarah posted:

Obligatory Refrigerator Comment - Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb

Quality wise, I think the video looks fine, but I'm not much of a technical guy so I can't say for sure if it's perfect, but I really think you and your guests have really good chemistry. It made me laugh a few times. If you open up a thread of this lp, I think I'd follow it. But do remember, I'm not the type of guy who knows about all this technical/quality stuff, so there might be someone else here who can tell you if there's anything else you need to do, quality wise. Other than that, pretty good job in my book.

MellowHype fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jul 1, 2012

Polybius91
Jun 4, 2012

Cobrastan is not a real country.
The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress - Let's Play Military Madness

Know what I love? Strategy games. You know what great strategy game hasn't gotten an LP?

This one. I'm gonna go ahead and change that.

Military Madness was one of the best drat impulse buys I ever made. I discovered it on the Virtual Console, and I'm glad I did, because this is a great game that nearly fell through the cracks. It's a turn-based wargame in the vein of Advance Wars, and it's the earliest such game I can think of. Military Madness, released in 1988 by NEC/Hudson Soft, was a great strategy game that was ahead of its time. Sadly, it didn't get much attention because it was only released on the Turbografx-16. It had some sequels and formed a franchise called the Nectaris series (named after the Mare Nectaris region of the moon, where the bulk of it takes place), but for the most part they didn't offer much new and faded into obscurity with their predecessor.

Gameplay is straightforward: There's a series of sixteen missions you play in order. In each mission, your army and the enemy army get a headquarters and some units and blow each other up until either one side's dead or has its headquarters captured. Unlike Advance Wars, however, there's no way to build units, although you can capture weapons from unoccupied or enemy factories - more on this when it comes. We'll also have to worry about zones of control, supporting fire, and encirclement, and by "worry about", I mean "exploit for all they're worth if we want to win."

Hey, I like Military Madness and are you gonna do hard mode?

Possibly. I never actually managed to beat it :eng99: but if the thread proves popular enough I may see how far I can get into it.

Introduction
Stage 1: REVOLT

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
So uh I have no clue what console this is on but somehow I doubt that it outputs at 471x324 or anything close to that. How are you capturing your images?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

So uh I have no clue what console this is on but somehow I doubt that it outputs at 471x324 or anything close to that. How are you capturing your images?
Hmmm, he says Turbographix was the original system and that might be what he's emulating off of? But the screenshot sizes do look a tad off and there was a weird bit of artifacting in your first battle gif.

• Locked thread