Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Aphrodite posted:

Archetypes are more useful than freeform.

Less powers, sub-par stat distribution, several powers that are just plain junk (I'm certain that I hit Pillar of Poz by accident with my Grimoire more often than on purpose, and I still consider throwing her Concentration more of an insult than anything else), and they only stand up because at some point someone broke scaling and Cryptic doesn't really understand the concept of bug-fixing.

quote:

Also, this sure looks familiar.

Okay a few things there.

1. This is completely unrelated to the subject at hand.
2. If you think CO came up with the idea of an aesthetic based on 50s sci-fi I don't know what to tell you.
3. This was actually a suggestion from the player summit last year, that took a year to be designed and implemented. I guess the loudest guy that goes to these summits is a Fallout fan, because this year it was Post-Apocalypse.
4. I never denied that CoX's dev teams sometimes takes ideas from CO, and in fact that was never a point I was going to bring up. Since you did instead, allow me to help you out with a better example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

quote:

Yeah, that's what Also means.

quote:

3. This was actually a suggestion from the player summit last year, that took a year to be designed and implemented. I guess the loudest guy that goes to these summits is a Fallout fan, because this year it was Post-Apocalypse.

That ugly crap takes them a year?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Aphrodite posted:

That ugly crap takes them a year?

Yeah, I'm not sure what they spent most of that year doing either. I know the designs for the jetpack, rifle, pistol and bubble helmet were voted on by players at some point during it, but I'm not sure what the rest of it was spent doing.

And personally I vehemently opposed this pack anyway because yeah, it's ugly and has no uses. The only real use I ever thought of for it was using it for a faithful goatse costume for next week's internet meme-themed costume contest.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

CP is switching to Zen in-game soon, so we'll need a new thread title.

Everyone's stash is going to go up 25%, and so will the C-Store prices and stipends. The actual cost doesn't change, it's just that 100 Zen is $1 while 80 CP is $1 right now.

Unless they flush the Questionite Exchange before they do it you can probably get some steals.

Dyatlov Bass
Apr 16, 2012

by Fistgrrl

Cleretic posted:

Less powers, sub-par stat distribution, several powers that are just plain junk (I'm certain that I hit Pillar of Poz by accident with my Grimoire more often than on purpose, and I still consider throwing her Concentration more of an insult than anything else), and they only stand up because at some point someone broke scaling and Cryptic doesn't really understand the concept of bug-fixing.

Okay a few things there.

2. If you think CO came up with the idea of an aesthetic based on 50s sci-fi I don't know what to tell you.
4. I never denied that CoX's dev teams sometimes takes ideas from CO, and in fact that was never a point I was going to bring up. Since you did instead, allow me to help you out with a better example.

Jesus Christ, calm down. I know this thread seems pretty dead save for the Statue of Liberty-esque figure of Aphrodite holding up the torch to shine a light on Cryptic being lovely, but :supaburn: is not the way to breathe a semblance of life into it.

It is also quite apparently just a rip of CO's Retro Sci-fi pack, except with an infinitely smaller poly-count. I don't know why you feel the need to white knight for a game that is still kicking it for coming up on a decade now, outliving all super hero MMO competitors with content out the rear end despite looking like said body part. It doesn't exactly make it better, but they certainly have free reign to do whatever the hell they want with their niche.

Guy Forget
Dec 25, 2006
It's not pronounced the way you think.

Asimo posted:

:ughh:

I understand why they put it at that price, but even $25 or $30 would have made more sense. It's just way beyond anything resembling "impulse buy" at that level. I mean I keep a sub up so it doesn't really matter to me, but it's still dumb.

I could be remembering incorrectly, and I can't be bothered to go check, but I seem to recall that people who wanted to buy FF slots usually suggested the $25-35 range like you mention. Then there were subscribers who had no intention of buying a slot but wanted to weigh in on pricing to make sure they didn't feel their subscription was devalued who suggested things in the $50-$70 range.

It's an interesting business choice to go with the price quoted by the people who were never going to buy the product, but whatever. (Also, if I just made all that up, please do correct me.)

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Guy Forget posted:

Then there were subscribers who had no intention of buying a slot but wanted to weigh in on pricing to make sure they didn't feel their subscription was devalued who suggested things in the $50-$70 range.

Technically speaking (very technically speaking), $50 is the 'correct' price. In that, if you bought enough freeform slots to match what a subscriber has, you pay the same amount as a lifetime subscription. Which means that to Cryptic, a lifetime subscription is literally just six freeform slots and apparently all the rest of that poo poo has no value.

I've been trying to muddle out a way for over-entitled lifetimers or subscribers to get pissed about this, but I haven't gotten it right yet. I'm pretty sure they're too deep into their own ego to hear anyway, and I'm not sure how I'd tell them.

Yeah, the main problem not just with Freeform slots, but with CO's entire free to play model itself, is that the people they most listen to are the people who are by nature not actual customers of the products in question, because they will never buy it. In fact, it's the only people they can listen to, because Silvers either can't post or are restricted almost solely to the 'newbie questions' forum.

EDIT: Yeah, the thread about this on the official forums is full of positive comments about the pricing, people who aren't happy that those unwashed, filthy Silvers get freeform slots, but are happy they have to pay a stupid amount to get one single Freeform character. There was literally one guy, who posted once in a twelve page thread, who said 'okay this is just ridiculous'. gently caress it, I give up.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jun 23, 2012

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

One thing didn't go their way; Model's broken. Let's all switch to the one with PS1 graphics.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Guy Forget posted:

It's an interesting business choice to go with the price quoted by the people who were never going to buy the product, but whatever. (Also, if I just made all that up, please do correct me.)
I imagine Cryptic/PW doesn't give a flying gently caress about what people say on their forums. And if they do, well, that's part of the problem yeah. It's one of the big downsides to games with lifetime subs and heavy investment into character design and customization, you get the lifeless furries losers who wind up absolutely incensed that anyone could possibly wind up with something at a lower price or more accessible manner later on. It's the "casual epics for babbies!!" mindset, except applied to real world marketing.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Forums think Cryptic never listens to them, Game (and goons) thinks Cryptic only listens to the forums.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Forums think Cryptic never listens to them, Game (and goons) thinks Cryptic only listens to the forums.
Technically, "Cryptic never listens to forum whining" is correct in both scenarios. :v:

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Asimo posted:

Technically, "Cryptic never listens to forum whining" is correct in both scenarios. :v:

Cryptic listens to the forums. Unless they don't like what the forums have to say.

That includes both whining about things that aren't true, and legitimate complaints about poo poo Cryptic does.

The former is a good thing. The latter tends to be the source of much of the frustration that people experience with Cryptic outside of their monthly scandal/gently caress-up of gigantic proportions.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
When getting on CO to announce to my SG that I'm quitting the game (I cannot in good conscience play a game that's making it this clear that they don't want my patronage if I'm not either shelling out three hundred bucks up-front or fifteen every month), I did see something a little bit hopeful.

If the Questionite exchange is anything to go by, nobody's buying those $50 freeform slots. I expected a spike like every other time they released something even sortof good in the C-Store, but it's staying at 180 like before.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's not how economies work.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Cleretic posted:

When getting on CO to announce to my SG that I'm quitting the game (I cannot in good conscience play a game that's making it this clear that they don't want my patronage if I'm not either shelling out three hundred bucks up-front or fifteen every month), I did see something a little bit hopeful.

If the Questionite exchange is anything to go by, nobody's buying those $50 freeform slots. I expected a spike like every other time they released something even sortof good in the C-Store, but it's staying at 180 like before.

This is probably because no one actually plays CO compared to most MMO's. Or that they aren't releasing poo poo that interests people on a large scale. Or that the method for earning Questionite isn't very easy to do.

Whenever even the hint of a new feature or C-Store item shows up in STO, the exchange rockets upwards and sometimes doesn't ever even go back down.

Crono S. Magnum
Feb 29, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

CP is switching to Zen in-game soon, so we'll need a new thread title.

Everyone's stash is going to go up 25%, and so will the C-Store prices and stipends. The actual cost doesn't change, it's just that 100 Zen is $1 while 80 CP is $1 right now.

Unless they flush the Questionite Exchange before they do it you can probably get some steals.

I'd like some more info on this if you have it.

For instance, am I just going to find all my C Points gone or is it going to be a conversion thing?

Also is there any sort of timetable?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Crono S. Magnum posted:

I'd like some more info on this if you have it.

For instance, am I just going to find all my C Points gone or is it going to be a conversion thing?

Also is there any sort of timetable?

Your CP count will just go up 20% and the icon will change to say Zen.

No timetable yet.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

No timetable yet.
Note the costs of everything will go up 20% too. It's basically just a change in accounting so things match Perfect World's stuff rather than a difference in purchasing power.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Aphrodite posted:

No timetable yet.

Will your space bucks still be tied to a particular game if you start trading them on the market for questionarium/dilithium?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

Will your space bucks still be tied to a particular game if you start trading them on the market for questionarium/dilithium?

Almost certainly.

Also they just announced all CO and STO lifers get access to the Neverwinter closed beta.

Crono S. Magnum
Feb 29, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

No timetable yet.

Ah, okay. I suppose it makes sense for them to try and get everything unified under their own banner.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Aphrodite posted:

Also they just announced all CO and STO lifers get access to the Neverwinter closed beta.

Woo double the beta!

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
When is the next goon CC?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ColHannibal posted:

When is the next goon CC?

We're broke.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

New stuff on the PTS.

2 new dailies for the Fourth of July (Which means an early patch next week) and a bunch of new powers.

Gadgeteering
Boomerang Throw: This power bounces between your foes, dealing crushing damage. The number of bounces increase based on how long it is charged for.
Boomerang Cone: This power throws a series of boomerangs in a 120' cone in front of you.
Gas Pellets: This power throws 4 gas pellets that deal damage and slow enemies caught in the cloud.
Grapple Gun Pull: This power deals crushing damage and pulls your target to you.
Strafing Run: This power is not yet complete. It will be changing soon!
Bolas: Paralyze your foe and deal heavy crushing damage with these spinning bolas.

Martial Arts
Night Warrior: This new passive increases all damage and grants the use of the Sneak power. Some powers gain an additional secondary benefit when used while sneaking. Purchasing this power automatically grants sneak. Sneak ranks up with this power.
Smoke Bomb Lunge: Disappear in a cloud of smoke and reappear near your foe, dealing crushing damage.

You can now make a Rogue.

According to nerds, those are the trademark abilities and tools of Nighthawk, the guy from the upcoming content that gives us vehicles.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Brace for a tsunami of Batmen.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Fighting claws! Where is my fighting claws pass!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ColHannibal posted:

Fighting claws! Where is my fighting claws pass!

Pfft, there's no Wolverine movie coming out in 20 days.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Aphrodite posted:

New stuff on the PTS.

2 new dailies for the Fourth of July (Which means an early patch next week) and a bunch of new powers.

Gadgeteering
Boomerang Throw: This power bounces between your foes, dealing crushing damage. The number of bounces increase based on how long it is charged for.
Boomerang Cone: This power throws a series of boomerangs in a 120' cone in front of you.
Gas Pellets: This power throws 4 gas pellets that deal damage and slow enemies caught in the cloud.
Grapple Gun Pull: This power deals crushing damage and pulls your target to you.
Strafing Run: This power is not yet complete. It will be changing soon!
Bolas: Paralyze your foe and deal heavy crushing damage with these spinning bolas.

Martial Arts
Night Warrior: This new passive increases all damage and grants the use of the Sneak power. Some powers gain an additional secondary benefit when used while sneaking. Purchasing this power automatically grants sneak. Sneak ranks up with this power.
Smoke Bomb Lunge: Disappear in a cloud of smoke and reappear near your foe, dealing crushing damage.

You can now make a Rogue.

According to nerds, those are the trademark abilities and tools of Nighthawk, the guy from the upcoming content that gives us vehicles.

Captain Boomerang and Scorpion will be easier to make. Most of the Lin Kuei, to be honest, normal or cyber.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Bloodly posted:

Captain Boomerang and Scorpion will be easier to make. Most of the Lin Kuei, to be honest, normal or cyber.

They've actually had a Chain pull for a while, so you could do Scorpion.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Right now, I'm in a big superhero mood, and I wanted to know whether to play this, or DC Universe Online. How comparable are the two?

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
Basically, Champions Online has a much better costume creator than DCUO as well as a much more flexible character creator, while DCUO's setup is more structured overall.

As a side note for Asmio I've updated my primer on stats with info on spec trees. Will probably throw in info on items as well.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Bluhman posted:

Basically, Champions Online has a much better costume creator than DCUO as well as a much more flexible character creator, while DCUO's setup is more structured overall.

As a side note for Asmio I've updated my primer on stats with info on spec trees. Will probably throw in info on items as well.
Which has a larger player-base, and how exactly do you mean setup? How does the actual combat and gameplay match up?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Bluhman posted:

Oh, awesome.

And DCUO is a little more action-focused in combat, though both games are a lot more active than most classic fantasy-type MMOs. DCU's costume creator is absolutely horrible in comparison, although some might like the art style they use better than ChampO's cartoony/silvery agey cel-shaded look. Honestly, both games are F2P right now, so there's no real reason not to just try both and see what you like better. With the caveat that ChampO's tutorial remains horrible even after a few revisions now, so don't judge it off that. :downs:

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
I forgot; I was supposed to also tell you to remove the links to the other powerset guides since they're all horribly outdated :downs:.

But yes. DCUO's combat is faster-paced. From what I've heard (having not actually played it), it is most optimally played with a gamepad.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Noted. :downs: If someone wants to redo the powerset guides, feel free, I'll link them from the OP; seems like a good idea to have in general. I also removed the Calendar section since, uh, Cryptic's no longer giving one.

You can play ChampO with a gamepad too, even if it's not obvious; it was originally planned to have 360 support that was later dropped, and it supports a 360 pad natively. I wouldn't recommend it, but it's not too hard to set things up to work easily with a pad even so. There's even some combat options that make the game almost play like an FPS, hell.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Thanks, both you. I'll definitely take what you've said into account.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Champions is a faster paced WoW click-style. It has instant attacks, charge/cast-time attacks and duration based attacks just like WoW or any other recent MMO (Except Tera, which plays like DCUO.)

DCUO is a brawler. Your crosshair is in the middle of your screen, and you attack in that direction. You have a Weak attack and Strong attack you chain together with different combos, with super powers on a different button. Blocking, active dodging, the whole deal.

DCUO's combat system is more fun... for a while. After 30 levels of button mashing it gets tiring. Your brawling attacks build your power meter, so you have to do them. You can't just use your powers all the time like you can in Champions.

DCUO's customization system sucks though. Head, Face (Often incompatible), Shoulders, Upper Body, Back, Belt, Lower Body, Feet. I think that's all they let you do. It also has just a tiny amount of pieces.

On the other hand, here are just some of the head options for Champions: Head Type (Which lets you select different types of heads like Zombie, Robot, Werewolf etc. within a larger category), Headwear, Eyes (Not just color but type), Eye Accessory, Mouth Accessory, Top Accessory, Side Accessory, Eyebrow. And that's just for the Hood head category. There's also Heads and Hair, Full Mask, Hats and Helmets, Full Helmets, Half Helmets, Face Masks, High Collars and probably other head categories I'm missing.

Play both, though. They're both fun. Just chances are you'll hit 30 in DCUO and stop playing. It does have an endgame which Champions mostly doesn't, but it's repetitive.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jul 1, 2012

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Champs on a 360 gamepad is great, I play that way pretty much exclusively except for when I want to move inventory stuff around and chat. Gives it more of an action game feel as you're pushing buttons instead of clicking icons, and you can chain your attacks together nicely that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Forget
Dec 25, 2006
It's not pronounced the way you think.
I'd never play Champs with keyboard and mouse. Gamepad is the way to go, if you're willing to set up complex keybinds in order to compensate for the fact that Cryptic doesn't actually take gamepads in to account when they design anything.

Playing a healer with a gamepad presents some difficulties, but with even more keybinds it's workable.