Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
I know exactly where that is and the road is in super lovely condition right there. Glad your friend is okay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
If the stator ground all the way through it'll probably be a right off, an impact that hard on the cases can gently caress up the crank.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

drat, glad he's alright.

Trade secret: It's up to the driver if they tow it or not, so call AAA, tell them you've been in an accident, slip the driver a $20 or 2 if he's cool and request a flatbed.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

SaNChEzZ posted:

drat, glad he's alright.

Trade secret: It's up to the driver if they tow it or not, so call AAA, tell them you've been in an accident, slip the driver a $20 or 2 if he's cool and request a flatbed.

This is confusing. What's the order of operations here?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

MotoMind posted:

This is confusing. What's the order of operations here?

Tell them you wrecked your car, ask for a flatbed. Tip the driver because if he tows it or not is up to him. I learned this from an AAA driver that towed my wrecked bike on his flatbed for :20bux:

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:
I don't understand why you all are having problems with AAA, I have the $100/yr membership and I didn't have any issue getting a flatbed for my bike when it died on me last week. :confused:

I live in Washington state if that makes a difference.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Xovaan posted:

3. GSXR-750's crash surprisingly well

When they replaced the up-and-over frame in '96, Suzuki cleverly put a steering damper boss on the left hand side of the frame, which if you had taken advantage of it, when you crashed on the left the end of the damper and the boss punched a hole in the frame. :stare:

Luckily the aftermarket had figured this out anyway and almost every kit was a tank mount.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:
I just call and tell them I have I motorcycle that needs a tow home/shop and I've never had a problem. I've used my AAA for other people I was riding with too, all with no problem.

I also have this $2 add on to my insurance for specific motorcycle issues that has been nice. They'll bring you gas and tow you with pretty much no questions asked.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Tanz-Kommandant posted:

I don't understand why you all are having problems with AAA,
Oh, it's because AAA has a special expensive package for motorcycles, RVs and some other poo poo. You're supposed to be paying a higher premium if you want help with your bike. I think that's freaking stupid, bikes are easier to transport than anything else, but that's the way the morons run it.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Oh, it's because AAA has a special expensive package for motorcycles, RVs and some other poo poo. You're supposed to be paying a higher premium if you want help with your bike. I think that's freaking stupid, bikes are easier to transport than anything else, but that's the way the morons run it.

Luxury vehicle/toy? Must have money!

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Tanz-Kommandant posted:

I don't understand why you all are having problems with AAA, I have the $100/yr membership and I didn't have any issue getting a flatbed for my bike when it died on me last week. :confused:

I don't know about a special bike package, but you don't have the bottom tier. Several options get added or increased at the $100 mark, like the towing goes up from 14 to 100 miles.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Just call a person with an f150, toss bike in bed of truck, drive off. It just got wrecked, you cant gently caress it up anymore placing it in the back of a truck.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Just call a person with an f150, toss bike in bed of truck, drive off. It just got wrecked, you cant gently caress it up anymore placing it in the back of a truck.

The problem was, when I crashed at 8AM on my way to work, all of my deadbeat friends were still sleeping.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Came across a collision on the way home last night around 1715. For you Seattle folk, it was on Elliott between Broad and Western.
I pulled over to see if they had called 911 (not to mention avoid cars honking and pulling U-turns on a narrow street).
There was a bike laying in the middle of the northbound lane with the rider on the ground next to it and a pedestrian about 10-15 feet away. I asked one of the people trying to slow down traffic if he saw what happened and he said that the pedetrian had walked out from between cars and got hit.
She had some nasty road rash on her back. Her sunglasses and purse were a few feet away from her, with the contents strewn all over. She wasn't anywhere near a crosswalk.
There were already enough people keeping the pedestrian still, helping the biker and slowing down traffic, and I could hear the sirens, so I walked my bike along the sidewalk until it was clear and rode on.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

poo poo, that would suck, bike v pedestrian .. I think that's automatically the vehicles fault isn't it, unless the pedestrian literally jumped out in front of them.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Nope. Usually the other way around unless it's a marked crosswalk. Usually. I know no charges were filed after my boss hit and killed a pedestrian with his motorcycle because it was at night and there was no crosswalk. Then again, that was a busy 4-lane road with no curbside parking. Dude just waltzed across the road in a blind corner.

Drumstick
Jun 20, 2006
Lord of cacti
Injuries are healing nicely. Had the stitches taken out of my right hand where they put a plate in at the wrist. It's nice to have one functioning hand. It's in a removable splint and weight restricted. The left hand is in a splint and all I can do is wiggle my finger tips. Pins will come out in about four weeks. Practice emergency braking! I would be much better off if I hadnt panicked.

I emailed my gear makers thanking them for making great gear, and they have been fantastic, I had a cheap river road jacket on, but it saved me from being covered in rash. They were fantastic, and are sending me a pair of gloves. Ive heard from icon as well and they want pictures of my helmet and bike as well.

Finally got to see the bike, right handle is bent and lots of cosmetic damage but everything else is intact. It took less of a beating then I did.

Hopefully I'll have some X-rays to post. I never got to see the initial X-rays, but I hear they looked pretty brutal.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Drumstick posted:

Injuries are healing nicely. Had the stitches taken out of my right hand where they put a plate in at the wrist. It's nice to have one functioning hand. It's in a removable splint and weight restricted. The left hand is in a splint and all I can do is wiggle my finger tips. Pins will come out in about four weeks. Practice emergency braking! I would be much better off if I hadnt panicked.

I emailed my gear makers thanking them for making great gear, and they have been fantastic, I had a cheap river road jacket on, but it saved me from being covered in rash. They were fantastic, and are sending me a pair of gloves. Ive heard from icon as well and they want pictures of my helmet and bike as well.

Finally got to see the bike, right handle is bent and lots of cosmetic damage but everything else is intact. It took less of a beating then I did.

Hopefully I'll have some X-rays to post. I never got to see the initial X-rays, but I hear they looked pretty brutal.

Glad to hear that you are on the mend. The follow up post is especially helpful here IMO to remind us of the effects of a drop/crash.

Drumstick
Jun 20, 2006
Lord of cacti

Tamir Lenk posted:

Glad to hear that you are on the mend. The follow up post is especially helpful here IMO to remind us of the effects of a drop/crash.

Yeah, I'm lucky I'm still youngish and in good health. It's hard to imagine that out of everything the crash itself was the least painful part. Looking forward to physical therapy because I know my left hand will have lasting issues. I think the biggest kick in the balls is that I'm off work and can't do anything because of the broken hand, no gaming, no cleaning nothing. It's been extremely boring. However, I am catching up on food network.. I can only assume I will be a master chef when I can use both hands.

Grimes
Nov 12, 2005

As someone who's just starting out in the world of motorcycling, crashes scare the hell out of me. I guess they should, but goddamn some of the stuff I've seen has chilled my spine. :smith: I guess it's good to expose yourself to what can potentially happen.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Grimes posted:

As someone who's just starting out in the world of motorcycling, crashes scare the hell out of me. I guess they should, but goddamn some of the stuff I've seen has chilled my spine. :smith: I guess it's good to expose yourself to what can potentially happen.

Wearing proper gear, maintaining good situational awareness, and not riding beyond your abilities do a lot to mitigate the risks. If you haven't already, read Proficient Motorcycling by David Hough.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Grimes posted:

Take courses, read books and talk to riders.

There is no shame in deciding to not participate in an activity that you do not wish to, for whatever the reasons.

That being said, welcome to the club. It's a hell of a ride!

Grimes
Nov 12, 2005

I'm planning on getting good safety gear and training.

VendaGoat posted:

There is no shame in deciding to not participate in an activity that you do not wish to, for whatever the reasons.
I'm doing it :frogc00l:.

Pimping Giraffe
Feb 22, 2006
Forum Giraffe Pimper?
I didn't crash today but I was the first one that came up on a real doosie of an accident.

I was riding solo on Highway 1 here in California, just north of San Francisco and about 3 miles south of Point Reyes Station. I was headed back south towards SF and was leaning hard around a corner on my V-Strom and as I came out of said corner I see in front of me a guy in a helmet and jacket laying dead smack in the center of the highway. I quickly pulled over to the side of the road, ripped my helmet off, and ran over to him. There were two cars on the side of the highway, but nobody was coming over to him.

He was coherent, but his left leg was snapped in half and his legs and lower back were rashed up. He didn't remember the accident, but from what the cars tell me he came too hot into the corner and was in their lane wobbling around. I'm assuming he lowsided into the first car, which launched him into the air where his body hit the second car. At least that's what I pieced together from what the people in the 2 cars told me.

Anyway, I kept him calm until more people came, talked to his buddies a bit (who showed up about 5 mins later when they realized he wasn't there anymore). Numerous first responders came and the highway was shut down for about 40 mins. The medevac helicopter came and took him to a good hospital. Looks like he'll be alright, but his bike was pretty much toast and so were the cars.

Wear all your gear my friends, I got a lot of comments by people stopped about my leather head to toe and I'm guessing he wished he'd been wearing something similar. He did have a jacket, full face, and gloves on though, which most certainly saved his life or at least significant additional injury.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Grimes posted:

I guess they should, but goddamn some of the stuff I've seen has chilled my spine.
What have you seen?

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

Casey Stoner crash out on the last lap in second place at Sachsenring. :jerkbag:

(Race 8 MotoGP 2012 spoiler)

Grimes
Nov 12, 2005

A guy literally cut in two. His bottom half and top half were separated when he crashed into a post. His top-half lay upward with an expression of horror.

He also had no gear or helmet, and that probably says something to the speeds he was traveling at for something that horrible to happen. There's a billion car accident photos out there which are just as bad or worse, it just shook me hard to see something that visceral.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Drumstick posted:

Yeah, I'm lucky I'm still youngish and in good health. It's hard to imagine that out of everything the crash itself was the least painful part. Looking forward to physical therapy because I know my left hand will have lasting issues. I think the biggest kick in the balls is that I'm off work and can't do anything because of the broken hand, no gaming, no cleaning nothing. It's been extremely boring. However, I am catching up on food network.. I can only assume I will be a master chef when I can use both hands.

You should pick up Dragon NaturallySpeaking. If you don't have some kind of crazy moon accent it makes life so much easier. There's also the NaturalPoint SmartNAV product for mouse control if you have issues with trackballs, etc.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

MotoMind posted:

You should pick up Dragon NaturallySpeaking. If you don't have some kind of crazy moon accent it makes life so much easier. There's also the NaturalPoint SmartNAV product for mouse control if you have issues with trackballs, etc.

I hate trackballs, so when I broke my wrist a few years back (not a motorcycle crash), I picked up one of these for the office:

http://www.evoluent.com/

Basically, it's a sideways mouse that you can use without rotating your arm/wrist. Way more comfortable than a regular mouse, even without a cast, etc. In fact, am using it RIGHT NOW! :thumbsup:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Where does your pinky go? :confused:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Use your imagination.

the same place it always does, on the end of the hand.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
So you're clicking with your middle and ring fingers?

I was trying to say "There's room for three fingers on that thing, so do you roll your pinky under it or drag it along the side or what, because unless the buttons are comically oversized it's not fitting on the mouse."

dick traceroute
Feb 24, 2010

Open the pod bay doors, Hal.
Grimey Drawer

Splizwarf posted:

I'm guessing the thing is probably larger than a standard mouse?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
They probably designed it with room for 4 fingers. This is the imagination part I was talking about. Hell, you don't even need that. You just had to click the link.

Anything else you need your hand held thru?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Originally a joke, walked into acting like a dick. Sorry.

At least it actually turns out to be comically oversized. :haw:

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Splizwarf posted:

In the stink . . .

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Splizwarf posted:

comically oversized. :haw:

I feel like I should be making a joke here :v:

Detroit117
Mar 28, 2012

Wings Of Steel
This happened 3-4 weeks ago, but I am just now getting around to posting it.

Got clipped by an on coming car that "didn't see me" when it pulled out to pass. Lost control of my bike when it hit me, and high sided. The bike is in a lot worse shape than I am. I had on full gear, but the jacket sleeve on my right arm tore open. I got away with some bruises, scrapes, and a dislocated shoulder.

Photos:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Detroit117 posted:

I had on full gear, but the jacket sleeve on my right arm tore open.

That's rough. Glad you wound up in one piece. What brand jacket was it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abe Froman
Jul 2, 2003

The Sausage King of Chicago
No pictures, but I picked up a used Ninja 250 a few weeks ago in anticipation of my taking (and passing) my MSF class. My class started this Thursday, which was classroom work, as was Friday. Saturday and today were range days. I think I did well on Saturday for never having ridden before.

I continued humming along on Sunday until we were drilling straightening out in a corner to emergency brake. I did the drill itself fine, but there were two areas set up (one for left turns, one for right) and when I was crossing the middle of the range area to get in line for the other turn someone else was crossing.

I locked up my front brake. My handlebars weren't straight and I dumped it going around 10 mph. No injuries, except for maybe my pride. The thing was, the other rider wasn't even really near me. It was totally my fault. I just became totally fixated on her and grabbed a big piece of front brake.

That happened during the 3rd to the last drill before the skill testing. I finished the rest of the drills fine, but it was evident it was still bothering me during the panic stop portion of the skill testing and I overshot my ideal stop length by 3 feet. I didn't do my best on the last part of the test, cornering, when I had practiced really well. I know to some degree I was "taking a knee" (as well as on the panic stop) since I knew I had done well enough to pass already on the first three tests barring totally making GBS threads the bed, but I'm certain the day's earlier events were still in my head.

I still passed fairly easily score wise, but I'm seriously questioning myself now given that I could make such a stupid mistake in a non-emergency situation. Plus, while I knew motorcycling riding wasn't like skipping rope, after the MSF class and seeing just how involved it is, and adding in dumping the bike, I'm really feeling down about the whole motorcycle ownership thing.

Am I just being too hard on myself? Is this a normal reaction? I may feel different tomorrow, but I have a lot of doubt right now.

Abe Froman fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jul 16, 2012

• Locked thread