Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

gooby on rails posted:

It's still horrible and retarded, but it's almost unheard of for the admins to actually delete smileys off the forum. There's always a huge outcry from someone somewhere.

I made the :nz: smiley which was a crying kiwi in front of the nz flag.

Someone in the NZ thread bought it, and it was delete in a smiley purge about a month later.

That was some bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
I dont think this :smugspike: and :smuggo: was explained yet... Anyone know? Or was it just running the smug craze in the ground

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Why does :colbert: have the tag "colbert"?

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Segmentation Fault posted:

Why does :colbert: have the tag "colbert"?

zoux posted:

GBS posted this bigass thread about making a colbert emote, and while they were "developing" it and arguing about it, some FYAD bought :colbert: and named it : colbert :. So when GBS finished making the colbert avatar it got bought as : crossarms:

If I Recall Correctly.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Not a smily, but what is the meaning of the login text?

quote:

GLUE GLUEEEEE GLUUUUUUEEE, fivre! GLUUUEEE GLUE GLLLUUUUUEEEEEE!!!!

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

fivre posted:

Not a smily, but what is the meaning of the login text?

It's from this front page article http://www.somethingawful.com/d/news/umbrella-corps-zombie.php

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

the_american_dream posted:

I dont think this :smugspike: and :smuggo: was explained yet... Anyone know? Or was it just running the smug craze in the ground

I think the second one is a reference to the lovely webcomic Least I Could Do. The main character is constantly making that smugface, and has eyebrows like that.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I think the second one is a reference to the lovely webcomic Least I Could Do. The main character is constantly making that smugface, and has eyebrows like that.

Wow. I guess today is an excellent day to link to that in order to illustrate "lovely webcomic".

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

This was asked way back at the start of the thread, but :sonia: is a reproduction of :nws:This gif :nws: done by the same girl who did this gif:

Her name was Sonia, hence the smiley name, and she had a thread back in DPPH, which I believe was started by BlueYoda, who was dating her at the time.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
What's the deal with that picture of Dr. Phil with a tarantula on his head that pops up in FYAD sometimes?

No Hephaestus
Aug 7, 2010

im fucking furious.

Farbtoner posted:

What's the deal with that picture of Dr. Phil with a tarantula on his head that pops up in FYAD sometimes?

Flags don't really mean anything most of the time, they are just funny pictures

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
In the off chance that you're not trolling or that someone reading your post doesn't know, that's Hank from The Larry Sanders show, which you should go watch right now. It's on Netflix streaming.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Joementum posted:

In the off chance that you're not trolling or that someone reading your post doesn't know, that's Hank from The Larry Sanders show, which you should go watch right now. It's on Netflix streaming.

Hey, now!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

euphronius posted:

I bought it because it was used in SAS a lot in N/Vs threads.

This pissed everyone off because they predicted it would be overused. It was sort of but led to a bunch of stares which are hilarious. :staredog: :catstare:

And now you now where :stare: comes from.

Just to add in, I think the artist formerly known as Power of PECOTA discovered it on another forum. There was a long period of very sparing use where you had to just include the image in your post - I think Stu Scott IRL and I were also early proponents. It was used exactly the right amount. Then you bought it and it got all over all the other forums and got run in to the ground in SAS, but things got basically equalized and it's all good.

Bubble Bathory
Apr 22, 2008

HELLO, YES, THIS IS BUBBLE BATHORY. LOOKS LIKE WE'VE GOT A BADASS OVER HERE WHO CAN'T STOP POSTING ABOUT HOW MUCH HE LOVES MEMES.

THAT'S THE JOKE.

Joementum posted:

How could his post be interpreted as trolling? FYAD flags don't usually mean anything.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Bubble Bathory posted:

How could his post be interpreted as trolling? FYAD flags don't usually mean anything.

Well...

Farbtoner posted:

Joementum posted:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Why is :sugartits: called "sugartits"?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Pierzak posted:

Is it a drunk guy with a party hat and a noisemaker? It could be Mel Gibson, who called a lady cop "sugartits" when she stopped him for drunk driving.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Pierzak posted:

prefect posted:

Is it a drunk guy with a party hat and a noisemaker? It could be Mel Gibson, who called a lady cop "sugartits" when she stopped him for drunk driving.

Nope.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3487816

It's bowser doing the :toot:. Pay attention to the Leavemywife's avatar and title.

Specifically it happened here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3487816&pagenumber=20&perpage=40#post405112138

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I just realized in the near 10 years I've been on the forums I've bought a bunch of loving smilies.

:woz: :sweden: :pranke:

I know there were a few more that I don't remember what they were but they were purged by radium.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

A FUCKTON OF WEED posted:

I just realized in the near 10 years I've been on the forums I've bought a bunch of loving smilies.

:woz: :sweden: :pranke:

I know there were a few more that I don't remember what they were but they were purged by radium.

what's pranke supposed to be a pic of? A tomato?

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

peepsalot posted:

what's pranke supposed to be a pic of? A tomato?

It's a prankeapple.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

m2pt5 posted:

It's a prankeapple.

idgi

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

You'll get it if you click this link.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

Thanks. :)

A FUCKTON OF WEED you are the one who ran that image into the ground (according to the SAcopedia)

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

fork bomb posted:

A FUCKTON OF WEED you are the one who ran that image into the ground (according to the SAcopedia)

How he fuckin sleeps at night is beyond me. The damage wrought by that emoticon is beyond measure.

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

I know :mitt: is from a political cartoon but for the life of me I can't find it. Does anyone happen to have it squirreled away?

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
Is there some set time on how long smilies last, or are they just deleted whenever there is too much clutter/not enough space/whatever? Are they deleted if they aren't used for a long time?

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

E4C85D38 posted:

I know :mitt: is from a political cartoon but for the life of me I can't find it. Does anyone happen to have it squirreled away?

Here:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
What is a :doink:? Also, who is that guy on the "Don't Go There" icon that appears when a thread is closed?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Suspicious Dish posted:

What is a :doink:? Also, who is that guy on the "Don't Go There" icon that appears when a thread is closed?

That's the sound Law and Order makes between scenes... supposedly, that's not what I hear v:v:v I remember there was a commercial where the actors talked about it briefly and one said that. I think it was Munch.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

It's that sound effect from Law And Order

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8lDYrvTILc

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011

Suspicious Dish posted:

who is that guy on the "Don't Go There" icon that appears when a thread is closed?

Looks like Kramer to me.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Haerc posted:

Is there some set time on how long smilies last, or are they just deleted whenever there is too much clutter/not enough space/whatever? Are they deleted if they aren't used for a long time?

Smilies technically last forever. They're deleted at the whims of the administration staff, though they generally don't like to delete smilies because someone, somewhere, will complain. That's why the "horrible retarded poo poo" section is so full.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Suspicious Dish posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=2187

quote:

Closed thread guy

Posted by sex offendin Link on February 2, 2009

When a thread is closed, the Reply button is replaced with a tiny image featuring a man and the text "Don't go there!" The man on the button is Cyrus Sahukar, a VJ on the Indian version of MTV, whose image was appropriated by Lowtax around the year 2000.

A larger version of the image he was taken from can be found here: http://j4cbo.mirror.waffleimages.co...d333dbb962e.gif

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Haerc posted:

Looks like Kramer to me.

Could have sworn it was Richard Simmons.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Alter Ego posted:

Could have sworn it was Richard Simmons.

I used to think it was Lowtax.

(Please don't ban me. :ohdear:)

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome

fork bomb posted:

idgi

lmao

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
C'mon baby, do you have a soul gem
:rubshands: is one of my favorite smilies but I've never figured out why it's called rubshands or if there's some sort of inside joke to it. Anyone know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oppenheimer
Dec 26, 2011

by Smythe
Could it be that you are getting excited for sonething, rubbing your hands together in anticipation and it goes wrong?