Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vonManstein
Nov 5, 2006
Game Dev Story is the classic that everyone should play. Grand Prix Story is probably the best of the bunch, in my opinion. They're all pretty good, but you should have a minimal interest in the subject matter, just for immersion sake. If you can't stand soccer, you probably should ignore pocket league story (though it's also a good one).

Edit: since you want building and layout, I'd say epic astro story. To tell you the truth, you'll end up buying all of them.

Anyone know of any games that are like Tiny Tower or Lil Kingdom? Pretty hooked on them now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

MikeJF posted:

So I'm thinking of indulging in some crack. What're the opinions of the different Kairosoft Story games? Which ones are the best? I'm a fan of building and laying out to some degree, but I could really go for any of them.

Dungeon Village is one of my favorites, and has quite a lot of layout work, and I think World Cruise Story is the one I spent the most time building and placing things in. While Game Dev and Grand Prix is great, there's absolutely no building or layout stuff in them. They're still awesome though, and you'll probably end up getting them all.

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

The accumulated filth of all the dog poop and hairballs will foam up about their waists and all the catladies and dog crazies will look up and shout "Save us!"
... and I'll look down and whisper
"No."

Yeah, if you like building stuff, I'd recommend World Cruise or Hot Springs. Epic Astro might fit the bill as well.

vonManstein posted:

Anyone know of any games that are like Tiny Tower or Lil Kingdom? Pretty hooked on them now.
Well, there's Ocean Tower which is pretty great, plus the artwork is nice as well.

l0lwhat
Mar 30, 2005

Who touched my nuts?
I just want pocket planes :/

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Oh God, Dungeon Raid. Where did my weekend go?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

MikeJF posted:

So I'm thinking of indulging in some crack. What're the opinions of the different Kairosoft Story games? Which ones are the best? I'm a fan of building and laying out to some degree, but I could really go for any of them.

Dungeon Village is in a lot of ways the most "traditional game-y" because you get to equip your little dudes with baller swords and Fire Axes and stuff, and it has a solid and intuitive "city building" aspect.

vonManstein posted:

If you can't stand soccer, you probably should ignore pocket league story (though it's also a good one).

Although I like football, I still disagree with this; once you get past the learning curve (which is very low) of player stats and field positions and whatnot, it's fun as heck to watch your little dudes and dudettes play out games. It has almost no focus on "building", it's all about maximizing your team, so YMMV and all that depending on which aspects you like.

Game Dev is the classic but honestly it's kind of boring, aside from getting laughs out of making a Zombie Dating Sim RPG or whatever.

Pocket Academy is underrated, maybe because it's kind of hard, but for me that's the appeal.

I just started on Clothier but so far it's also really deep and complex while being cute as the dickens, but some of the things you can do are obscured behind menus which is annoying until you find them.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

precision posted:

Dungeon Village is in a lot of ways the most "traditional game-y" because you get to equip your little dudes with baller swords and Fire Axes and stuff, and it has a solid and intuitive "city building" aspect.

Although I like football, I still disagree with this; once you get past the learning curve (which is very low) of player stats and field positions and whatnot, it's fun as heck to watch your little dudes and dudettes play out games. It has almost no focus on "building", it's all about maximizing your team, so YMMV and all that depending on which aspects you like.

Game Dev is the classic but honestly it's kind of boring, aside from getting laughs out of making a Zombie Dating Sim RPG or whatever.

Pocket Academy is underrated, maybe because it's kind of hard, but for me that's the appeal.

I just started on Clothier but so far it's also really deep and complex while being cute as the dickens, but some of the things you can do are obscured behind menus which is annoying until you find them.

I think dungeon village and dev story are pretty much equal in terms of my enjoyment out of the first play-through. Both games start great and slowly drop into boring territory once you overcome the difficulty and end up just waiting for years to pass, but dungeon village lasted a little longer because there's a bit of actual challenge sprinkled in.

I was surprised to find that epic astro story was actually my favorite out of the 3. The combat is fun, affording item upgrades for your citizens is challenging, and building an efficient town and with complex items is downright difficult. Plus, if you make it the last cavern (took me 2 play-throughs) there's basically a mini game where you see how far you can fight your way into an endless abyss.

I'm trying to decide if I should play the restaurant one next.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
The restaurant one is actually my favourite. The subject matter is near and dear to me and pixel food is absolutely adorable.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Yeah I really enjoyed the restaurant one and Pocket Clothier. Academy is solid too. They're all a good max of building your place and upgrading your things.

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

Pocket Academy kind of trailed off for me because it seemed to get to a point where I just stopped unlocking things, even though I know there was a lot more to get.

So far my favorite is still Grand Prix Story, and I'll probably play through it again once I finish Pocket Clothier. I thought World Cruise Story was pretty good in a build-stuff kind of way too

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.kairosoft.android.sushi_en

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
So...kawaii.

Dare I purchase this?

Edit:
I ordered a Nexus 7. How do Kairosoft games look on larger screens?

Also: it does bother me that Kairosoft never have black people in their games. Even the Lewis Hamilton analogue in Grand Prix Story was aryan.

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jul 3, 2012

boydx
Feb 25, 2006

No school like the old school.

Chas McGill posted:

So...kawaii.

Dare I purchase this?

Edit: I ordered a Nexus 7. How do Kairosoft games look on larger screens?

I haven't played it in a while, but I remember Dungeon Village looking ok on my Xoom

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
In a way, I'm glad that my bank won't let me use my card with Google Checkout. Otherwise I would end up buying all of the Kairosoft games immediately instead of most of them eventually.

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Good-night, sweet prince;
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

Holy poo poo, that was fast. They are really cranking releases and localizations out right now.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Oh drat, that looks pretty neat. I wish the Android market would have a summer game sale like Steam. Five bucks is more than I piss away on most games, phone or PC.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
So, any Star Command news lately?

Chas McGill posted:

So...kawaii.

Dare I purchase this?

Edit:
I ordered a Nexus 7. How do Kairosoft games look on larger screens?

Also: it does bother me that Kairosoft never have black people in their games. Even the Lewis Hamilton analogue in Grand Prix Story was aryan.

They look good on bigger screens if you like blocky, which you do because you like KS games. Turn off the fancy graphics option because it's just a blur filter that looks good on a phone but makes it look rear end on tablets.

I assume they don't have black people because it's probably difficult at the KS resolution to avoid accidental blackface.

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

So, Im not sure if this belongs here or in the app thread, but does anyone have any experience with remote desktop apps like splashtop? I would love to be able to stream games from my computer to my asus transformer, since it has a full keyboards and usb gamepad/mouse support. It would be incredible to stream steam games and stuff.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I just grabbed Sushi Spinnery. Most of the text is offset half a screen length to the left offscreen so it's unplayable on my Gnexus running JB. :saddowns:

e: just checked my other kairosoft games and all of them have this problem. drat you Google!

Eej fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jul 3, 2012

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I've used SplashTop THD or gaming and there was some lag even when both the computer and tablet were on 300 Mbps wireless N connections. I would assume it would have slightly less lag if it was a wired Gigabit connection to Wireless N, but I wouldn't hope for much if I were you.

If you're wanting to play PC games while on the go, go with OnLive. If you want to play PC games at home, sit at your computer.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

vonManstein posted:

Game Dev Story is the classic that everyone should play.

I actually found it really painful the first time through. I was always running out of money and never had enough capital to develop for new consoles. It was a lot better on the second time round when you get to keep your genres at their previous levels, but then it was almost too easy. I had more money than I could spend, every game made the Hall of Fame and was a best seller. Still fun though.
I really liked Pocket League (the first one I played), and now have Grand Prix, but I don't feel as drawn back to it as I have done with the others.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Splizwarf posted:

So, any Star Command news lately?
According to their facebook page, there will be some new info out on the 9th, and they're considering a PC port as well.

Also last month they mentioned cosmetic-only IAPs.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
If you're going to dive into the bottomless kawaii pit of KarioSoft, I'd say either play Game Dev first or not at all, because every single other one of their games is just so much... more.

I hadn't looked at Cut the Rope or its sequel but having been addicted to both of them during my marathon re-watch of Breaking Bad lately I've gotta say, I think they're the best physics-casual-puzzle games I've seen. Better than Where's My Water, I think, and cheaper too.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

coyo7e posted:

According to their facebook page, there will be some new info out on the 9th, and they're considering a PC port as well.

Also last month they mentioned cosmetic-only IAPs.

Anything with this much hype for this amount of time is inevitably going to be terrible.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Splizwarf posted:

I assume they don't have black people because it's probably difficult at the KS resolution to avoid accidental blackface.

That and Kairosoft is based in Japan, where it's very likely that none of their employees have ever seen a black person in real life. Not that this makes it significantly better, but it's at least better than a deliberate omission. This awesome blog by a black American expat has a number of amusing firsthand stories about how Japanese people react to him.

Quetzal-Coital
Mar 7, 2003

precision posted:

I hadn't looked at Cut the Rope or its sequel but having been addicted to both of them during my marathon re-watch of Breaking Bad lately I've gotta say, I think they're the best physics-casual-puzzle games I've seen. Better than Where's My Water, I think, and cheaper too.

Aren't they all 0.99c ?

vvv: No, I mean (and thought he meant) Where's my Water games as opposed to Cut The Rope.

Quetzal-Coital fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jul 3, 2012

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Kairosoft games are all $5.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Anyone play Dead Trigger? Is it worth picking up? It looks really good and it's only a buck, but, from what I read, a bunch of good weapons and items are only available via IAP.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Shadow Gun and Samurai 2 are also a buck each. Are the Tegra 3 versions worth paying $5 for chainfire3d if I don't have a Tegra 3 device?

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Just saw the trailer for Blind Man's Dungeon, and thought it looked interesting. It's free, so I'll probably give it a try anyways.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMgpu4LDOEY

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Is that like Bizarro-Bomberman? That looks awesome.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

XIII posted:

Anyone play Dead Trigger? Is it worth picking up? It looks really good and it's only a buck, but, from what I read, a bunch of good weapons and items are only available via IAP.
Yeah, this is unfortunately the case. You start off the game with a really good gun (an assault rifle) which is soon taken away and you have to use a really lovely pop gun which forces you to grind away until you get something better. The next good gun costs $2000 in game cash and the pop gun really is useless so I said gently caress that and I bought $3 worth of IAP gold to get that assault rifle again (which you need gold to buy - the game uses two types of in game currency). To be fair I will say that the IAP items don't seem to be as unreasonably highly priced as other games; along with the rifle I was also able to buy a bunch of useful upgrades and permanent skill boosters as well as another decent IAP gun so in the end it was pretty good value. Shame there had to be IAP there in the first place.

Apart from the IAP gripes and some sloppy presentation (typos etc.), I think the game is quite fun. Its from the Shadow Gun guys so the graphics are really good, with adjustable quality levels depending on your device. The controls are pretty decent for a touchscreen FPS, and like Shadow Gun you can move the onscreen buttons around. The aiming is really precise but I've had regular trouble with turning around to kill zombies that have snuck up behind me, but I think this is a general problem with touchscreen FPS controls. You also walk somewhat sluggishly but luckily you can buy an IAP speed booster to fix that :sigh:

edit: also apparently the game supports cloud saves so I hope this means you won't have to buy all your poo poo again if reinstalling on a new device.

mrkillboy fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jul 4, 2012

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
I scanned the thread, and I'm not sure if this would go here or in the Android App thread, so here we go.

I just bought a Galaxy 2 LTE HD (SHV-E12OS). I'm in Korea, and as such my app market it a little different - some apps and games are universally available, and there are other that, while I can access them via the Android Website, I cannot download them, for example, Tiny Tower. I'm guessing that the market is region locked, does anyone know of a possible workaround?

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

I don't know how to copy/paste app store links on my tablet (which I am currently using), however a game worth looking at is block story. I have mixed feelings about it, absolutely get the demo first. I recommend it because its a well designed minecraft style game with block gathering and building, but its also an rpg, health bars, quests, monster slaying, the whole shebang. Combat feels a little like morrowind. The game also updates fairly regularly. The problem is that the controls are clumsy as all hell, and the randomly generated nature of the maps can mess up your start a bit. The developers is some russian dude so the grammar can be wonky. Still, worth checking out, worth following.

Quetzal-Coital
Mar 7, 2003
Uninstalled Strikeforce Omega today.
It's a great little game, and I could even see buying some IAP, but the second my notification bar starts to fill up with ads that poo poo is gone.

Devs need to realize their boundaries with that sort of thing. I use the notification bar on my phone to see if I have work e-mails, texts if my servers are down, or phonecalls from clients or family.

I have no desire to wake up to that little flashing light, scramble to see if its something I need to address right away, only to be confronted with a sale on "bleezzabloop points" for Happy Farm.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.
I know it's not helping most people just yet but on Jelly Bean you can block notifications from individual apps which stops that crap dead.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Quetzal-Coital posted:

Uninstalled Strikeforce Omega today.
It's a great little game, and I could even see buying some IAP, but the second my notification bar starts to fill up with ads that poo poo is gone.

Devs need to realize their boundaries with that sort of thing. I use the notification bar on my phone to see if I have work e-mails, texts if my servers are down, or phonecalls from clients or family.

I have no desire to wake up to that little flashing light, scramble to see if its something I need to address right away, only to be confronted with a sale on "bleezzabloop points" for Happy Farm.

Are you sure that's coming from Strikefleet Omega? A tons of people here, myself included, have the game installed and I haven't heard anybody else mention notification ads.

leonje
Apr 10, 2005

I roll with my kitties and I'm hard as fuck.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Are you sure that's coming from Strikefleet Omega? A tons of people here, myself included, have the game installed and I haven't heard anybody else mention notification ads.

These past couple of days I have also gotten notifications pop up overnight.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Also chiming in that I got one today, announcing a Fourth of July related discount for one of the ships. I also got a few test notifications over the past few days (including one that just said "test").

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Addon Detector shows Strikefleet Omega only using Tapjoy.

• Locked thread