Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

plastered quack posted:

Wait, why is everyone posting about the latest mini ep without posting the big news?

T.J. Miller, Pete Holmes and Jeff Garlin episode plopping June 19th

Was this a lie? I was really looking forward to it :(

VV Oh, okay. Yeah I know they usually come out on Fridays, it was just the 'plopped' that made me think it was coming out early. :)

spooky wizard fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jun 22, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
The free episodes almost always come out on Fridays, not including bonus episodes. If he said it was coming any time this week he probably meant tomorrow.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
Sorry, I accidentally typed "plopped" when I should've said "taped". Doug tapes DLM before Comedy Bang Bang, which occurs every Tuesday.

It was recorded on the 19th, but like Trujillo said they almost always are released on Fridays. So that episode will probably show up tomorrow (unless he banked it as a premium episode, or it's for a week he's busy touring).

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

OH GOD IT'S UP

edit: jesus cripes almighty go get this episode RIGHT NOW STOP READING AND GO

Mob fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jun 22, 2012

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
It's heeeereeeee

edit: This is amazing. Doug has said like, 2 sentences and they pretty much just were "turn them loose".

Zsinjeh fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Jun 22, 2012

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

This is loving unbelievable.

edit: Is the ending (plugs/outro) hosed up for anyone else?

Reformed Pissboy fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jun 22, 2012

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Wow, they didn't even start the game. Great episode!

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Holy poo poo this episode

Scar Brothers

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jun 22, 2012

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Harm Barn Gumshoe posted:

edit: Is the ending (plugs/outro) hosed up for anyone else?

Yeah it cuts off abruptly.

Crab Your Enthusiasm

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
Well that lived up to my expectations. I think that's the first episode I actually enjoyed where everyone was talking over everyone else. I do hope Jeff Garlin stays aboard the U.S.S. Friendship.

Such a fitting last-minute cameo too.

Edit: I'll edit my earlier posts about the paid DLM/TBI with lovely reviews tomorrow. Spoiler alert: not a fan of the DLM and really enjoyed TBI.

Edit2: Also I'm not sure why Doug wanted Pardo to be the fourth guest for the next show, he's actually pretty great about letting everyone else speak/deliver bits.

Urk! fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jun 23, 2012

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Amazing.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.
I know I'm part of the problem, but I loving love these guys. :3: Sorry, Doug!

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

Beelzebozo posted:

I know I'm part of the problem, but I loving love these guys. :3: Sorry, Doug!

I think you'll be hard pressed to find someone who doesn't think they make some of the best dlms, and combined arguably one of the top few, even when zero games are played.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

RoryGilmore posted:

I think you'll be hard pressed to find someone who doesn't think they make some of the best dlms, and combined arguably one of the top few, even when zero games are played.

Ahem... Most Difficult Guest was a game :colbert:

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
New free episode came a day early, with Anna Kendrick, Nick Kroll and Garfunkel and Oates.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Five Brothers is not a movie, Doug. So much for being pedantic! :colbert:

I also initially thought that Rambo was wrong, but then I remembered that's what the 2008 movie was called.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Anna Kendrick is just :3:.
"Officially I'm offended."

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm not a fan of C Deez Nuts or Build a Title, but wish I was on the stage for when it hit the numbers just so I could be all smug and say 'Pi' after 1 and 2 were done.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

The pHo posted:

I'm not a fan of C Deez Nuts or Build a Title, but wish I was on the stage for when it hit the numbers just so I could be all smug and say 'Pi' after 1 and 2 were done.

But 3 Ninjas Kick Back comes before Darren Aronofsky's directorial debut.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

The pHo posted:

I love Build a Title just because it made Paul F. Tompkins say "Ssssssstop Or My Mom Will Shoot!" as Cake Boss.

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009
Why do people find TJ Miller constantly shouting "Yeah!" funny?

pork minstral
Apr 27, 2004

Into the Void
DENVER!

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

YOGI BEAR YEAH!

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

indoflaven posted:

Why do people find TJ Miller constantly shouting "Yeah!" funny?

Well at this point I think Pete Holmes doing TJ Miller shouts it way more often than TJ actually does.

Dancing Potato
May 21, 2007

Worst Case Ontario posted:

Well at this point I think Pete Holmes doing TJ Miller shouts it way more often than TJ actually does.

I think TJ is actively avoiding it now. He was on Who Charted and the most he could muster was 'Oh, Denver, yeah.'

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

about halfway through the free Benson Interruption. Fun so far, although I'm a bit lost for not knowing the format. Also, the guy improving the ex cop is bloody awful.

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

Lamuella posted:

about halfway through the free Benson Interruption. Fun so far, although I'm a bit lost for not knowing the format. Also, the guy improving the ex cop is bloody awful.

Adomian starts off rough (kinda seemed to be doing a purposely bad standup) but it gets funny as gently caress later on once he lets the character get crazy (and begins to channel Andy Kindler)

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

When someone plays a purposefully bad standup, they run into what I call the Les Dawson Problem.

Les Sawson was a British comedian who had a part in his routine where he came on stage and played the piano badly. It was usually hilarious. The reason it was usually hilarious is that Les Dawson was a brilliant concert-level pianist and knew exactly how to make bad piano playing sound funny. In the hands of anyone who was less good at the piano, playing badly just sounds like playing badly.

Same is true of a bad stand-up comedian. To be funnily bad at standup comedy, you have to be really really good at stand-up comedy. You have to know the beats in order to miss them. I think Adomian does some great characters, but I'm not sure his standup is strong enough to be bad.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Lamuella posted:

When someone plays a purposefully bad standup, they run into what I call the Les Dawson Problem.

Les Sawson was a British comedian who had a part in his routine where he came on stage and played the piano badly. It was usually hilarious. The reason it was usually hilarious is that Les Dawson was a brilliant concert-level pianist and knew exactly how to make bad piano playing sound funny. In the hands of anyone who was less good at the piano, playing badly just sounds like playing badly.

Same is true of a bad stand-up comedian. To be funnily bad at standup comedy, you have to be really really good at stand-up comedy. You have to know the beats in order to miss them. I think Adomian does some great characters, but I'm not sure his standup is strong enough to be bad.

See also: Andy Kaufman.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
& Neil Hamburger

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
& Zach Galifianakis.

Haven't listened to a DLM recently, but Anna Kendrick and Garfunkel and Oates? gently caress yeah, motherfucker!

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I dunno I thought Adomian was pretty hilarious from the start.

Kymera
Sep 6, 2006

The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world
Just went to the NYC show. This one was much better than the one from a few weeks ago.

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

Kymera posted:

Just went to the NYC show. This one was much better than the one from a few weeks ago.

Who were the guests?

Kymera
Sep 6, 2006

The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world

RoryGilmore posted:

Who were the guests?

Jason Mantzoukas, Michael Ian Black, Nikki Glasser and someone else who's name I forgot. He was a first time guest who was an author (Dave Hill apparently). There was some really funny moments all throughout. Jason Mantzoukas was especially hilarious.

Kymera fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Jul 3, 2012

Sonictic
Sep 11, 2003

marquise bossyfangs mcsekret
Confirming Kymera's assessment. It was a good time. Nikki Glaser and the last guest, Dave Hill, were a bit flat but Jason and Micheal more then made up for it. I'd call the Len Maltin game a wash though as Micheal failed to win it for me after I made such an excellent name tag for him.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Sonictic posted:

Confirming Kymera's assessment. It was a good time. Nikki Glaser and the last guest, Dave Hill, were a bit flat but Jason and Micheal more then made up for it. I'd call the Len Maltin game a wash though as Micheal failed to win it for me after I made such an excellent name tag for him.

Was it snack related?

Sonictic
Sep 11, 2003

marquise bossyfangs mcsekret

-Atom- posted:

Was it snack related?

Oh you bet. I came in with a blank sign and planned to make it for whoever I liked the best. I secretly hoped the whole time MIB would be there and then it happened. He details it during the show so you can hear about it when it plops. Frankly I am inordinately pleased that I pulled it off.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
Dave Hill is the guest on Professor Blastoff this week, he's alright. It's weird how guests can work so well for some podasts but bomb on others. See: Andy Kindler on Who Charted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HateTheInternet
Dec 19, 2004

He just put the kibosh on me, do you know what the kibosh means, it's a kibosh!
All right buddy this ain't Doug Loves Other Podcasts

I'm still slowly catching up from the very beginning and I'm just hitting the run of rental car/single guest in a hotel room episodes and oh my god are they dull. The whole episode is always a recap of their shows from previous nights and then a lengthy game of Build-a-Title. I thought the in-studio no live audience episodes were a little difficult to get through, but these are terrible in spite of the extra content. Why did he start doing them? Do people actually like them?

• Locked thread